Why Only PC

My other MMO has a console version. Other than when it launched and maybe some other special circumstances, characters cannot be copied over between platforms, so you're stuck with where you start. The biggest problem, though, is that the console players have to wait for releases of new content, and bug fixes of said content, by several weeks while permissions are worked through (or whatever it is that throttles console releases). I think the non-PC platforms may also take a cut, like Steam does, but I'm not sure on that. ANet loses some control of their product if they go to other platforms.

So -- putting aside technical issues others have mentioned -- unless a player doesn't mind spoilers or never touches anywhere that spoilers can happen, console will be screwed by every LS release.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go play FFXIV for a while and experience the combat there...a game on PC and PS4, then come back here and experience the combat again. That slow-ass combat that is in FFXIV is the result of having to have a system that allows for the lag that accompanies console players. It's built into the game so PC players don't have an advantage.

No thanks. I rather like not having a game that dumbs down combat to accommodate console players.

> @"Odinens.5920" said:

> Go play FFXIV for a while and experience the combat there...a game on PC and PS4, then come back here and experience the combat again. That slow-kitten combat that is in FFXIV is the result of having to have a system that allows for the lag that accompanies console players. It's built into the game so PC players don't have an advantage.

>

> No thanks. I rather like not having a game that dumbs down combat to accommodate console players.

Laughs in ESO and BDO.

> @"Odinens.5920" said:

> Go play FFXIV for a while and experience the combat there...a game on PC and PS4, then come back here and experience the combat again. That slow-kitten combat that is in FFXIV is the result of having to have a system that allows for the lag that accompanies console players. It's built into the game so PC players don't have an advantage.

>

> No thanks. I rather like not having a game that dumbs down combat to accommodate console players.

Hahahahahah. Hahaha. Go play BDO in consoles then. It's like GW2's combat, except it's twice as fast-paced. And it works fine in XBOX, so much so that they announced a release for PS4; The big difference is that BDO feels way more intuitive on a controller than a regular MMO with skill buttons.

> @"Amaranthe.3578" said:

> GW2 is optimised very poorly, can't port it.

Although Linux users claim game is running OK..might not be difficult to make PS4 port at least. I never tried it though so might be completely off here.

Of course, Anet has to re-design the interface and optimize it a bit (if it makes sense at this stage of lifecycle..)

The only thing that would make me think this wouldn’t succeed is multiple platforms is due to a complete neglect of the PvP community and the problems PvP continues to have since launch. As for the PVE tho....I don’t see why not.

> @"Derdzvero.7051" said:

> > @"Amaranthe.3578" said:

> > GW2 is optimised very poorly, can't port it.

>

> Although Linux users claim game is running OK..might not be difficult to make PS4 port at least. I never tried it though so might be completely off here.

> Of course, Anet has to re-design the interface and optimize it a bit (if it makes sense at this stage of lifecycle..)

I don't think it does at this stage. GW2 is a niche game and I think it has it's own corner now.

Some of the newer games out in the market were made with engines that have a compiler readily available for multiple platforms such as consoles. Sometimes the only thing they have to do is make sure their own software is ready for the transition (which is ofc a big undertaking by itself). Since gw2 was made using an in house engine, i cannot say if they have an environment ready for such, most likely no.

I don’t see the appeal to play a game on a console if you have an option to play it on a PC. With how small PC’s can get, you can easily build one that’s roughly the same footprint as a console and get so much more performance. If you’re dead set on using a controller then you can program one to work with the game.

just a few pointers:

* releasing a game on console costs money and time, making a game with only the PC in mind frees up restrictions and doesn't require FPS limits and resolution adjustments.

* both microsoft and sony requires a cut from the profit, if Anet adds GW2 on console they will have to pay their cut every single time above all their current bills.

* making a game fit on a controller is a hell of a job, it can be done but it requires a complete redesign on the layout and UI to allow console play.

> @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> I don’t see the appeal to play a game on a console if you have an option to play it on a PC. With how small PC’s can get, you can easily build one that’s roughly the same footprint as a console and get so much more performance. If you’re dead set on using a controller then you can program one to work with the game.

Yeah because we can all cassually program our games to run with controller. Im a pc player and will likely always be but i understand that some ppl like the console experience, be it couch play or laid back play with the controler looking at a big screen.

> @"sorudo.9054" said:

> just a few pointers:

> * releasing a game on console costs money and time, making a game with only the PC in mind frees up restrictions and doesn't require FPS limits and resolution adjustments.

Im pretty sure some resolutions still dont work well with gw2.

> * both microsoft and sony requires a cut from the profit, if Anet adds GW2 on console they will have to pay their cut every single time above all their current bills.

Still, many games release on all platforms meaning that regardless of the sales cut its still more profitable than not going to console. A nunber of mmos are on console now which means theres a console mmo player market.

> * making a game fit on a controller is a hell of a job, it can be done but it requires a complete redesign on the layout and UI to allow console play.

True but depending who you ask, gw2's ui was in need of a ui redesign anyways.

> @"zealex.9410" said:

> > @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > I don’t see the appeal to play a game on a console if you have an option to play it on a PC. With how small PC’s can get, you can easily build one that’s roughly the same footprint as a console and get so much more performance. If you’re dead set on using a controller then you can program one to work with the game.

>

> Yeah because we can all cassually program our games to run with controller. Im a pc player and will likely always be but i understand that some ppl like the console experience, be it couch play or laid back play with the controler looking at a big screen.

Programming a controller isn't difficult.

> @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > @"zealex.9410" said:

> > > @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > > I don’t see the appeal to play a game on a console if you have an option to play it on a PC. With how small PC’s can get, you can easily build one that’s roughly the same footprint as a console and get so much more performance. If you’re dead set on using a controller then you can program one to work with the game.

> >

> > Yeah because we can all cassually program our games to run with controller. Im a pc player and will likely always be but i understand that some ppl like the console experience, be it couch play or laid back play with the controler looking at a big screen.

>

> Programming a controller isn't difficult.

Jump dodging isnt either but ppl still complain.

> @"zealex.9410" said:

> > > @"zealex.9410" said:

> > > > @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > > > I don’t see the appeal to play a game on a console if you have an option to play it on a PC. With how small PC’s can get, you can easily build one that’s roughly the same footprint as a console and get so much more performance. If you’re dead set on using a controller then you can program one to work with the game.

> > >

> > > Yeah because we can all cassually program our games to run with controller. Im a pc player and will likely always be but i understand that some ppl like the console experience, be it couch play or laid back play with the controler looking at a big screen.

> >

> > Programming a controller isn't difficult.

>

> Jump dodging isnt either but ppl still complain.

That still doesn't change what I said.

> @"mindcircus.1506" said:

> > @"Warlord.9082" said:

> > What it has to do with the core game is that HOT fixes the core game. It was badly set up and caused that your characters essentially couldn't grow. Hence GW2 couldn't be exported to different systems as you just ran out of stuff to do.

> Quite the logic bomb here, sparky.

>

You rang?

> @"MrRuin.9740" said:

> Do you want new content or ports to consoles? Seems like that's the choice here.

This isn't true. Those that will do the "port" will be the engine team and the UI team, not the content team. The port will use the same assets as the PC version and content release won't be affected at all.

> @"maddoctor.2738" said:

> > @"MrRuin.9740" said:

> > Do you want new content or ports to consoles? Seems like that's the choice here.

>

> This isn't true. Those that will do the "port" will be the engine team and the UI team, not the content team. The port will use the same assets as the PC version and content release won't be affected at all.

actually porting to console would affect content releases because anet would need to pay sony, microsoft or nintendo for each update among other issues that come with pushing updates on console

> @"zealex.9410" said:

> > I don’t see the appeal to play a game on a console if you have an option to play it on a PC. With how small PC’s can get, you can easily build one that’s roughly the same footprint as a console and get so much more performance. If you’re dead set on using a controller then you can program one to work with the game.

>

> Yeah because we can all cassually program our games to run with controller. Im a pc player and will likely always be but i understand that some ppl like the console experience, be it couch play or laid back play with the controler looking at a big screen.

Get Rewasd or xpadder, I think steam works tio,, ask people on reddit for their mapping layout, copy one you like best/ matches your controller.

Its a lil time consuming with trial n error to map your own, to find what works best for you. but its not hard.

> @"derd.6413" said:

> > @"maddoctor.2738" said:

> > > @"MrRuin.9740" said:

> > > Do you want new content or ports to consoles? Seems like that's the choice here.

> >

> > This isn't true. Those that will do the "port" will be the engine team and the UI team, not the content team. The port will use the same assets as the PC version and content release won't be affected at all.

>

> actually porting to console would affect content releases because anet would need to pay sony, microsoft or nintendo for each update among other issues that come with pushing updates on console

That's not reason to affect their content release. Lots of games that work on both console and PC release their content on PC first and then wait for the validation until they can put it on console. Content release pace isn't affected by going multiplatform, provided your engine supports multiple platforms and the GW2 engine more than likely cannot. Judging by the CPU performance.

As for the price cost, the idea is that the console version will pay for itself. Although it costs to push content on console, it provides the game to a new audience, so more expansion sales, more gem store sales and so on.

> @"maddoctor.2738" said:

> > @"derd.6413" said:

> > > @"maddoctor.2738" said:

> > > > @"MrRuin.9740" said:

> > > > Do you want new content or ports to consoles? Seems like that's the choice here.

> > >

> > > This isn't true. Those that will do the "port" will be the engine team and the UI team, not the content team. The port will use the same assets as the PC version and content release won't be affected at all.

> >

> > actually porting to console would affect content releases because anet would need to pay sony, microsoft or nintendo for each update among other issues that come with pushing updates on console

>

> That's not reason to affect their content release. Lots of games that work on both console and PC release their content on PC first and then wait for the validation until they can put it on console. Content release pace isn't affected by going multiplatform, provided your engine supports multiple platforms and the GW2 engine more than likely cannot. Judging by the CPU performance.

>

> As for the price cost, the idea is that the console version will pay for itself. Although it costs to push content on console, it provides the game to a new audience, so more expansion sales, more gem store sales and so on.

just because it makes some money doesn't mean it offsets the costs and anet has stated that the reason a console version isn't going to happen is because releasing updates on consoles is more expensive and difficult.

> @"derd.6413" said:

> > @"maddoctor.2738" said:

> > > @"derd.6413" said:

> > > > @"maddoctor.2738" said:

> > > > > @"MrRuin.9740" said:

> > > > > Do you want new content or ports to consoles? Seems like that's the choice here.

> > > >

> > > > This isn't true. Those that will do the "port" will be the engine team and the UI team, not the content team. The port will use the same assets as the PC version and content release won't be affected at all.

> > >

> > > actually porting to console would affect content releases because anet would need to pay sony, microsoft or nintendo for each update among other issues that come with pushing updates on console

> >

> > That's not reason to affect their content release. Lots of games that work on both console and PC release their content on PC first and then wait for the validation until they can put it on console. Content release pace isn't affected by going multiplatform, provided your engine supports multiple platforms and the GW2 engine more than likely cannot. Judging by the CPU performance.

> >

> > As for the price cost, the idea is that the console version will pay for itself. Although it costs to push content on console, it provides the game to a new audience, so more expansion sales, more gem store sales and so on.

>

> just because it makes some money doesn't mean it offsets the costs and anet has stated that the reason a console version isn't going to happen is because releasing updates on consoles is more expensive and difficult.

Where/when did the developers give this reason?