Buff the Warclaw in PvE!

I love, _LOVE_ how people are saying "it's a wvw mount" like that changes anything. Imagine this conversation if we were talking about a car:

"oh nice, I can use this car... but it's really bad on any unpaved road, can I get better tires or something for offroad use?"

"it's a car for roads"

"...yeah, I know that. -Ooh look, there's an idea for something called an 'SUV', it goes offroad and onroad! Is that possible?"

"It's a car for roads"

"yes? And I'm asking if you can make it into a car that can also go offroad. Look the design specs are here! I invested a lot of time on upgrading it, so I'd like to be able to use it somewhere other than roads. It's not even a complicated ask."

"yes. but the car goes on roads"

"BUT. WHY. WHY IN ALL THE KITTEN-LOVING WORLD CAN'T IT BE DONE?"

"because it goes on roads."

And unlike real life, we're talking about wvw and they're clearly an opponent, so thankfully you can vent your frustration by stabbing them in the face... but it doesn't make their argument any less terrible.

If the devs give it functionality, will it make it a "must-have" item that people complain about getting and feel locked out? Well two points:

1) That already exists in the form of ascended armor.

2) That already exists in the form of Griffon, Beetle, and Skyscale.

So unless they magically make it so you don't have to grind 40 levels of he- I mean fractals and maps, and unless they lovingly airdrop those unlocks into everyone's account like, yesterday, I'm guessing that's going to still be a thing.

A more important argument to make is "what extra functionality can we give it?" Because raptor has distance, springer has height, jackal has speed and teleportation, manta has danger evasion and water speed, griffion has distance in flight, beetle has speed and crash tactics, and skyscale has hover and vertical flight. God what do we need, what do we need...?

Oh right, a dedicated combat mount! Oh man I wonder if the warclaw fits that flavor? You think? possibly?

Yes, all the mounts have engage skills that do more than damage. So, here's what you do, the warclaw's pounce does a nice chunk of damage, and then inflicts taunt. Don't mess with the speed, don't need to really do anything else. If you want to fancy it up there can either be extra damage to champs, or a buff to your squad. That's pretty much what everybody wants: just a little tweak to make the ol 'claw useful in pve too. You use the warclaw to mop up mobs or get a good first hit in on a world boss. it's a one-time use thing in a fight, so there won't be as much pressure to get it as, you know, ascended armor stuff. And it doesn't require much coding at all, just up damage in pve or give a status effect that ups damage in pve, and inflicts taunt when the pounce engage skill is used. It doesn't take much time any money away from the devs at all, and it's nice for use pve folks who DID grind wvw to obsessively collect all the mounts on their account.

That last one is mostly for me though. I have a problem and I admit it.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"basilmemories.9186" said:

> I love, _LOVE_ how people are saying "it's a wvw mount" like that changes anything. Imagine this conversation if we were talking about a car:

>

> "oh nice, I can use this car... but it's really bad on any unpaved road, can I get better tires or something for offroad use?"

> "it's a car for roads"

> "...yeah, I know that. -Ooh look, there's an idea for something called an 'SUV', it goes offroad and onroad! Is that possible?"

> "It's a car for roads"

> "yes? And I'm asking if you can make it into a car that can also go offroad. Look the design specs are here! I invested a lot of time on upgrading it, so I'd like to be able to use it somewhere other than roads. It's not even a complicated ask."

> "yes. but the car goes on roads"

> "BUT. WHY. WHY IN ALL THE KITTEN-LOVING WORLD CAN'T IT BE DONE?"

> "because it goes on roads."

>

> And unlike real life, we're talking about wvw and they're clearly an opponent, so thankfully you can vent your frustration by stabbing them in the face... but it doesn't make their argument any less terrible.

>

> If the devs give it functionality, will it make it a "must-have" item that people complain about getting and feel locked out? Well two points:

> 1) That already exists in the form of ascended armor.

> 2) That already exists in the form of Griffon, Beetle, and Skyscale.

>

> So unless they magically make it so you don't have to grind 40 levels of he- I mean fractals and maps, and unless they lovingly airdrop those unlocks into everyone's account like, yesterday, I'm guessing that's going to still be a thing.

>

> A more important argument to make is "what extra functionality can we give it?" Because raptor has distance, springer has height, jackal has speed and teleportation, manta has danger evasion and water speed, griffion has distance in flight, beetle has speed and crash tactics, and skyscale has hover and vertical flight. God what do we need, what do we need...?

>

> Oh right, a dedicated combat mount! Oh man I wonder if the warclaw fits that flavor? You think? possibly?

>

> Yes, all the mounts have engage skills that do more than damage. So, here's what you do, the warclaw's pounce does a nice chunk of damage, and then inflicts taunt. Don't mess with the speed, don't need to really do anything else. If you want to fancy it up there can either be extra damage to champs, or a buff to your squad. That's pretty much what everybody wants: just a little tweak to make the ol 'claw useful in pve too. You use the warclaw to mop up mobs or get a good first hit in on a world boss. it's a one-time use thing in a fight, so there won't be as much pressure to get it as, you know, ascended armor stuff. And it doesn't require much coding at all, just up damage in pve or give a status effect that ups damage in pve, and inflicts taunt when the pounce engage skill is used. It doesn't take much time any money away from the devs at all, and it's nice for use pve folks who DID grind wvw to obsessively collect all the mounts on their account.

>

> That last one is mostly for me though. I have a problem and I admit it.

Warclaw should remain a wvw only mount, or people would qq over having to do wvw to be 'competitive'. It already have a lot of abilities, but for WvW only. I can well imagine that Gw2's spagehtti code cannot handle different skillloadouts between wvw and pve for a mount.

Just face it, its nothing but a show off mount in pve. Theres no role left that wouldnt infringe on other mounts, save underwater

it’s all about skins. if warclaw gets faster in pve. and run like a tiger from WoW (sorry for the word) i would use it more to travel with. it was nice to run with those mounts in world of warcraft. and also the ram. but WoW is no more for me. now i have guildwars 2. sure i miss things from WoW. but the more things guildwars 2 get like WoW has is better. maybe some races. elves (elfs) or dwarves or trolls. or risen as undead. we got raptor it’s nice. skyscale is nice. only another head.

i don’t care if it’s a wvw mount. both play styles also have their own builds so why not mounts with their own abilitys.

thnx in advance for the likes :)

> @"Substance E.4852" said:

> > @"LucianDK.8615" said:

> > Like other mounts having their place, warclaw is meant for wvw

>

> That's just silly. The other mounts have their place because they all function differently.

>

> Warclaw is the "WvW Mount" because it's the only one you can use there. No one would touch the warclaw if you could zip around on the raptor or teleport juke on the jackal. Not even gonna mention the others because they'd just break the game (even skimmer with it's long duration evade frames)

>

> It's also the worst mount in PvE because it's the slowest, even moving slower than when fully traited in WvW which gives you a third leap

>

> There's 0 reason they couldn't have just made it a functional clone of the raptor in PvE. That would have made it an even better enticement to get people into WvW.

>

> As it stands, it has a terrible engage skill and works the same as the raptor except each leap moves you less than half the distance. There's no reason for this to be the case.

>

> Setting a precedent like this could also give them the excuse to introduce new mount rigs without having to come up with a new gimmick each and every time. I'm not even sure what they could roll out other than one that moves fast under water.

what this person said

It's just a game design mistake, also a big bugs container (still bugged since the creation) the only partial use it's for WvW , mainly for "fast" movement on the field, sometimes "useful" to sniff enemies (but it do not work well) or kill downed, completely useless as a door breaker and used by Gankers (they strongly asked for this skill) to kill boredom (thanks Arenanet, we always wait for this kind of GREAT features) so, it could have been a nice addition to the game but, You know, Eternal Alchemy :D

So you're all complaining just for the 3rd dodge on a cat since it can only run faster in the area your group owns... and we don't own anything in the open-world.. it cant run faster. Do you want to spend supply to break down gates in PvE? SO, let me see that's gonna mean you wanna spend gold to break down, I dunno a CC bar on a Vet/Champ 1 gold per pull on that bar GO FOR IT... IT'S a WvW mount. Ooh, wait you want to spear someone else to I dunno, get to a shared node faster?

Guess what, your Jackal already has 3 evades, your raptor already runs faster.

> @"basilmemories.9186" said:

> I love, _LOVE_ how people are saying "it's a wvw mount" like that changes anything. Imagine this conversation if we were talking about a car:

>

> "oh nice, I can use this car... but it's really bad on any unpaved road, can I get better tires or something for offroad use?"

> "it's a car for roads"

> "...yeah, I know that. -Ooh look, there's an idea for something called an 'SUV', it goes offroad and onroad! Is that possible?"

> "It's a car for roads"

> "yes? And I'm asking if you can make it into a car that can also go offroad. Look the design specs are here! I invested a lot of time on upgrading it, so I'd like to be able to use it somewhere other than roads. It's not even a complicated ask."

> "yes. but the car goes on roads"

> "BUT. WHY. WHY IN ALL THE KITTEN-LOVING WORLD CAN'T IT BE DONE?"

> "because it goes on roads."

>

> And unlike real life, we're talking about wvw and they're clearly an opponent, so thankfully you can vent your frustration by stabbing them in the face... but it doesn't make their argument any less terrible.

>

> If the devs give it functionality, will it make it a "must-have" item that people complain about getting and feel locked out? Well two points:

> 1) That already exists in the form of ascended armor.

> 2) That already exists in the form of Griffon, Beetle, and Skyscale.

>

> So unless they magically make it so you don't have to grind 40 levels of he- I mean fractals and maps, and unless they lovingly airdrop those unlocks into everyone's account like, yesterday, I'm guessing that's going to still be a thing.

>

> A more important argument to make is "what extra functionality can we give it?" Because raptor has distance, springer has height, jackal has speed and teleportation, manta has danger evasion and water speed, griffion has distance in flight, beetle has speed and crash tactics, and skyscale has hover and vertical flight. God what do we need, what do we need...?

>

> Oh right, a dedicated combat mount! Oh man I wonder if the warclaw fits that flavor? You think? possibly?

>

> Yes, all the mounts have engage skills that do more than damage. So, here's what you do, the warclaw's pounce does a nice chunk of damage, and then inflicts taunt. Don't mess with the speed, don't need to really do anything else. If you want to fancy it up there can either be extra damage to champs, or a buff to your squad. That's pretty much what everybody wants: just a little tweak to make the ol 'claw useful in pve too. You use the warclaw to mop up mobs or get a good first hit in on a world boss. it's a one-time use thing in a fight, so there won't be as much pressure to get it as, you know, ascended armor stuff. And it doesn't require much coding at all, just up damage in pve or give a status effect that ups damage in pve, and inflicts taunt when the pounce engage skill is used. It doesn't take much time any money away from the devs at all, and it's nice for use pve folks who DID grind wvw to obsessively collect all the mounts on their account.

>

> That last one is mostly for me though. I have a problem and I admit it.

That's really a great analogy for why changing the warclaw is superfluous. You're talking about a family sedan, but you want to go offroad. Instead of using one of the seven offroad vehicles available to you, you insist on having your family sedan altered. It's nonsensical . . .

Just no! Warclaw is fine in pve as it is. It doesn’t need to be the fastest, highest, anything. It’s still faster than on foot swiftness.

I enjoy my warclaw in pve as it is and like the relaxed state of play it gives. I don’t need to get from A to B as fast as possible. It’s a WvW centric Mount. PvE doesn’t need it.

> @"LucianDK.8615" said:

> Warclaw should remain a wvw only mount, or people would qq over having to do wvw to be 'competitive'. It already have a lot of abilities, but for WvW only. I can well imagine that Gw2's spagehtti code cannot handle different skillloadouts between wvw and pve for a mount.

> Just face it, its nothing but a show off mount in pve. Theres no role left that wouldnt infringe on other mounts, save underwater

Oh man, people are just gonna line up to grind for a one-shot burst of damage at the start of combat, yep, you're totally right. I mean people could spam that by... oh yeah, getting out of combat, dodging any damage, and waiting until the combat turns off, then mounting up and doing it again. _Clearly that's more efficient than staying in combat and doing more damage._ By which I mean no, no that makes no sense at all.

And that's why I suggested a boon. it buffs damage and inflicts taunt. when cat goes away, the boon isn't going to transfer to the character. there's already game mode specific boons, so this isn't new territory for them to cover. In fact this boon i mentioned is really close to other mounts: do damage, then inflict status effect of some kind. If people want to be really, REALLY fussy about any sort of coding, they can just copypaste the original warclaw ability that did bleed and apply the damage boost to that. I'm not going to say this is "one of those things they could do in an hour" because that's just a jerk move, but it's not like rewriting a system. If I wanted to do the workflow it'd go like this:

-Get code from one of the mode-specific abilities that buffs damage

-Take the springer engage ability

-Staple the springer ability to the damage buff, but change the status effect to either bleed or taunt.

-Ship that bad boy.

> @"Gop.8713" said:

> That's really a great analogy for why changing the warclaw is superfluous. You're talking about a family sedan, but you want to go offroad. Instead of using one of the seven offroad vehicles available to you, you insist on having your family sedan altered. It's nonsensical . . .

More like "it's already shaped like an suv, it just needs an engine tweak, so why is that impossible?"