I'm Wondering Why Getting The Advanced Logistics Mastery Is Such A Grind?

At the end of October I set up my first alt account just for the fun of it. About 11 days ago I got the expansion packs for that account so it could have access to mounts and the mastery system. In the first day or so I was able to get the raptor, skimmer, and springer for that account. On my main account I was able to do the Whisper in the Dark story, complete the Bajora Marches map, and get the Raven attunement masteries as well as the first tier of the essences of resilience and valor, all in just a few hours. Meanwhile, days later, I'm still working hard to unlock Advanced Logistics to get auto-loot for the alt account. (I've got the required mastery points. It's getting the necessary experience that seems to be taking forever, even with exp buffs.) I'm just curious why auto-loot takes so much longer to get than mounts or finishing the latest Saga episode. Is there a valid design reason why I can get three mounts in a small fraction of the time it takes to get something as basic as auto-loot? Or is this just a matter of someone on the design team enjoying their ability to troll noobs?

Original masteries were designed that way - the mastery system has been shortened significantly since HoT and the earlier ones were never adjusted to be in line with that. To be honest, I'm not in agreement they should be shortened either. I've not really like the foreshortening of mastery bars, but I guess i kinda get why

Core mastery comes thick and fast enough to build it over a period of days and weeks (and that is a short enough time). It will always feel like it takes longer when you grind it, but to only take a few days is nothing given the long term nature of the game. The auto loot is useful, but by no means essential, so it behoves anyone working on it just to let it build in the background and not grind their way to it and have fun with events all round the core map (only core map xp applies)

> @"Randulf.7614" said:

> Original masteries were designed that way - the mastery system has been shortened significantly since HoT and the earlier ones were never adjusted to be in line with that. To be honest, I'm not in agreement they should be shortened either. I've not really like the foreshortening of mastery bars, but I guess i kinda get why...

Ah, that makes sense but now you have me curious about something else. Why do you think they have foreshortened the new masteries so much?

> @"Randulf.7614" said:

> ...It will always feel like it takes longer when you grind it, but to only take a few days is nothing given the long term nature of the game...

lol - I suspected that I might just be experiencing the "watched pot never boils" effect. Since I wanted to get auto-loot before doing a lot of the bosses and events in core Tyria or moving on to the expansion maps, I have been focused on grinding just that and grinding is never one of my favorite activities. I like your suggestion better - stop focusing so much on that and just enjoy running around core Tyria again. :)

> @"Chichimec.9364" said:

> > @"Randulf.7614" said:

> > Original masteries were designed that way - the mastery system has been shortened significantly since HoT and the earlier ones were never adjusted to be in line with that. To be honest, I'm not in agreement they should be shortened either. I've not really like the foreshortening of mastery bars, but I guess i kinda get why...

>

> Ah, that makes sense but now you have me curious about something else. Why do you think they have foreshortened the new masteries so much?

>

> > @"Randulf.7614" said:

> > ...It will always feel like it takes longer when you grind it, but to only take a few days is nothing given the long term nature of the game...

>

> lol - I suspected that I might just be experiencing the "watched pot never boils" effect. Since I wanted to get auto-loot before doing a lot of the bosses and events in core Tyria or moving on to the expansion maps, I have been focused on grinding just that and grinding is never one of my favorite activities. I like your suggestion better - stop focusing so much on that and just enjoy running around core Tyria again. :)

>

>

They shortened it prob because a lot masteries were gating content and people were getting annoyed by excess grind. I get it even if I don;t agree with it and would prefer masteries to be more meaningful in both content and the way you obtain them

In that context there is a case to shorten the older ones to be more in line. They may well do that (I think have done it once already) in the future to ensure players are catching up with current content faster.

However, that scenario isn't happening anytime soon. So the best thing is to simply play and enjoy the content and let the rewards of xp soak in. One of the best ways to do this is on a toon at level 80 without 100% map. Then you have extra reason to be playing core maps and still get mastery xp

if the mounts was longer like autoloot the PoF history will gonna be a hellish experience, since some history steps are locked behind some mount masteries.. First time i did PoF was 12 hours playing non-stop(almost cuz i read all dialogues, etc).

The Core Tyria masteries doesnt lock anything related to character progression, also can be achieved in any map of Core, if they are reduced to PoF masteries, theyre completed in any Orr train or Silverwastes train.

> @"ugrakarma.9416" said:

> if the mounts was longer like autoloot the PoF history will gonna be a hellish experience, since some history steps are locked behind some mount masteries...

An excellent point I hadn't thought of at all. By the time I did the expansion stories on my main account, I had my mount and glider abilities fully unlocked. If the stories were time gated behind masteries as time consuming as Advanced Logistics, they would indeed have been hellish. So that seems like a legitimate design reason to shorten the later masteries. @"Randulf.7614" I understand why you'd rather the later masteries not be shortened quite so much. If content in Whisper in the Dark had been time gated behind lengthy masteries, we wouldn't have all breezed through the story so fast. Some folks would have liked that, other folks want the faster pace. Trying to balance such things out seems like a complicated design issue. Whew, my original question was not as simple as I thought it was. Thanks for the input, folks.

> > @"ugrakarma.9416" said:

> > if the mounts was longer like autoloot the PoF history will gonna be a hellish experience, since some history steps are locked behind some mount masteries...

>

> Whew, my original question was not as simple as I thought it was. Thanks for the input, folks.

>

There's one more detail that hasn't been mentioned. The auto loot ability was put so far back to make it more difficult for people to grab it and use it for auto-farming on secondary accounts. I think that's an awful reason, because all it did was slow people down, not stop them. But it's still something that was mentioned at one point, so there it is.

> @"Palador.2170" said:

> There's one more detail that hasn't been mentioned. The auto loot ability was put so far back to make it more difficult for people to grab it and use it for auto-farming on secondary accounts. I think that's an awful reason, because all it did was slow people down, not stop them. But it's still something that was mentioned at one point, so there it is.

Ah, another excellent point. Thank you. I think I will just stop moaning and groaning about how long it's taking to get this particular mastery. There really are solid reasons why it is that way.

**You have played this character for 51 hours and 11 minutes over the past 11 days.**

lol - I checked that alt's age as soon as I got Advanced Logistics completed. No wonder it felt like such a grind! Take off some time for running through the first chapters of HoT and PoF to unlock the glider and mount masteries. Then factor in the time to get the raptor, skimmer, and springer, as well as the time spent doing HoT or PoF stuff in the dailies. That still leaves almost a 40 hour work week running around core Tyria to get the exp needed to max that mastery line.

@Linken.6345, thanks for the dungeon suggestion. I did two dungeons back to back when I was at 82% completion of the Logistics mastery. After finishing the second dungeon I was at 90% completion. So those were probably the two biggest exp gains of that 40 hour marathon. Now I'm off to finish the mount masteries as well as getting the jackal. Then it'll be on to glider masteries. I find I actually miss stealth gliding and being able to glide without using up endurance. :)

> @"DebraKadabra.5278" said:

> I know you said you were using XP boosts, but when I was gaining the XP for those masteries I also used Lunar New Year fireworks. The XP boosts from both stack separately, and can fairly significantly shorten the time to get the needed XP.

Ah, that had never occurred to me. Thanks for the tip. I'll keep it in mind for the future.

I have a lot of Alt accounts that I use to farm the Ogre Wars with and such with and I can attest to the fact that this particular Mastery feels like taking way too long on those accounts. :)

But as the second poster said, those Masteries come very natural to you if you just play the game with your Main. Masteries have become so quick now, I can't keep up with getting enough Mastery points in time! I do not think it needs a change, it is also one of the most important masteries anyway so I think it is good that you have to wait a little bit for it.

> > @"DebraKadabra.5278" said:

> > I know you said you were using XP boosts, but when I was gaining the XP for those masteries I also used Lunar New Year fireworks. The XP boosts from both stack separately, and can fairly significantly shorten the time to get the needed XP.

>

> Ah, that had never occurred to me. Thanks for the tip. I'll keep it in mind for the future.

You're quite welcome, hope it helps out on the XP grind.

It might seem like a lot of EXP, but you just have to be in the right place and do the right things.

Killing the yellow mobs with a killstreak booster is fine, but I've found SW RIBA and Orr event chains to be much more profitable, both XP and reward-wise.

Also, if you have alt accounts that need the XP next fall, make sure to slap on every possible booster you can find and hit the Labyrinth when halloween is on. That's the one ultimately fastest way.