"Content updates every month"

zealex.9410

This was the line used to hype us from interviews and articles near the beginging of se5, and tho i personally dont consider the barely changed or developed festivals as exciting content (it might be new and exciting for new players but the milestone has been 11mil since pof so its fair to assume new players dont exactly come to the game in droves) i can live with it since for anet it would be unrealistic to delver trully new content every month.

The thing tho is this quote

In the first quarter of 2020, we’re continuing to deliver content updates every month, from Living World episodes to competitive updates.

It seems things like a swiss beta, warclaw balance and the big balance patch can also take the spot of "new content" for a month. I personally thing this is a big mistake, balance should never come to the expense of playable content imo and anet should seriously try and meet their target of a lw episode every 2 months (because consistency is king).

This coupled with no mention of ep3 in the q1 roadmap, and ofc no mention of fractals or raids creates a relatively grimm picture for the content quantity we should expect.

For fans of the game that want to see it succeed its hard when we see other mmos get all this plus new dungeons or raid each patch and maybe bigger attention to pvp with new modes or maps.

I dont want you to overwork your employees, but something needs to change if this mmo is to improve and grow in the future, it needs to hold a spot on the map and it needs ppl to notice it.

Regardless of the barebones nature of the roadmap, i want to say, keep at it, dont let the critisism and any negativity prevent you from communicating, setting deadlines for your self and sharing them with us, i trully believe it will lead you to improvement if you keep at it.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't figure out image linking on my phone, but look at the 2020 announcemt again. Episode 2 of Icebrood Saga is one of the things listed for January. (The first episode was called a prologue, so the numbering is 1 behind the total number released.)

Also there's a lot of people who are more interested in PvP and WvW than PvE and I think they'll be happy to hear some big updates are (finally) coming because I know a lot of them have been frustrated when it feels like all the effort is going into living story releases.

> @"Danikat.8537" said:

> I can't figure out image linking on my phone, but look at the 2020 announcemt again. Episode 2 of Icebrood Saga is one of the things listed for January. (The first episode was called a prologue, so the numbering is 1 behind the total number released.)

>

> Also there's a lot of people who are more interested in PvP and WvW than PvE and I think they'll be happy to hear some big updates are (finally) coming because I know a lot of them have been frustrated when it feels like all the effort is going into living story releases.

What they mean is, if the 2 month cadence is continued the ep3 (as lalbelled) would be march which is Q1. I suspect as SAB falls right on that time, ep3 will go to Q2.

I think the wvw roadmap is severely lacking and a lack of at least fractals getting mentioned is concerning, but there are surprises due as well. Anet do need to step things up in 2020 after a seemingly negative year in 2019 for many.

Regardless, theres enough roadmap threads. It will be what it will be. Anet are in hols now so feedback wont get picked up on anyway Im sure.

> @"Randulf.7614" said:

> > @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > I can't figure out image linking on my phone, but look at the 2020 announcemt again. Episode 2 of Icebrood Saga is one of the things listed for January. (The first episode was called a prologue, so the numbering is 1 behind the total number released.)

> >

> > Also there's a lot of people who are more interested in PvP and WvW than PvE and I think they'll be happy to hear some big updates are (finally) coming because I know a lot of them have been frustrated when it feels like all the effort is going into living story releases.

>

> What they mean is, if the 2 month cadence is continued the ep3 (as lalbelled) would be march which is Q1. I suspect as SAB falls right on that time, ep3 will go to Q2.

>

> I think the wvw roadmap is severely lacking and a lack of at least fractals getting mentioned is concerning, but there are surprises due as well. Anet do need to step things up in 2020 after a seemingly negative year in 2019 for many.

>

> Regardless, theres enough roadmap threads. It will be what it will be. Anet are in hols now so feedback wont get picked up on anyway Im sure.

Again tho, if sab was to release in q1 wouldnt that be included in the roadmap? Either the roadmap doesnt include everything, in which case thats a bad thing, or it includes everything which means q1 is fairly light.

SAB is an April thing. Since March 31 is a Tuesday, it could be that SAB would technically start in March, but ANet would probably get roasted for calling it Q1 content when it only hits one day of Q1.

I don't PvP or WvW at all, but like Danikat I'm sure getting some meaty updates in those modes is sorely needed by those who do, and it counts as content even if I personally don't use it.

> @"zealex.9410" said:

> > @"Randulf.7614" said:

> > > @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > > I can't figure out image linking on my phone, but look at the 2020 announcemt again. Episode 2 of Icebrood Saga is one of the things listed for January. (The first episode was called a prologue, so the numbering is 1 behind the total number released.)

> > >

> > > Also there's a lot of people who are more interested in PvP and WvW than PvE and I think they'll be happy to hear some big updates are (finally) coming because I know a lot of them have been frustrated when it feels like all the effort is going into living story releases.

> >

> > What they mean is, if the 2 month cadence is continued the ep3 (as lalbelled) would be march which is Q1. I suspect as SAB falls right on that time, ep3 will go to Q2.

> >

> > I think the wvw roadmap is severely lacking and a lack of at least fractals getting mentioned is concerning, but there are surprises due as well. Anet do need to step things up in 2020 after a seemingly negative year in 2019 for many.

> >

> > Regardless, theres enough roadmap threads. It will be what it will be. Anet are in hols now so feedback wont get picked up on anyway Im sure.

>

> Again tho, if sab was to release in q1 wouldnt that be included in the roadmap? Either the roadmap doesnt include everything, in which case thats a bad thing, or it includes everything which means q1 is fairly light.

I think it would be nit picking about whether SAB is included given it is right at the end of Q1 and the start of Q2. I don't think the roadmap includes everything. Just the immediate highlights.

> @"Randulf.7614" said:

> > @"zealex.9410" said:

> > > @"Randulf.7614" said:

> > > > @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > > > I can't figure out image linking on my phone, but look at the 2020 announcemt again. Episode 2 of Icebrood Saga is one of the things listed for January. (The first episode was called a prologue, so the numbering is 1 behind the total number released.)

> > > >

> > > > Also there's a lot of people who are more interested in PvP and WvW than PvE and I think they'll be happy to hear some big updates are (finally) coming because I know a lot of them have been frustrated when it feels like all the effort is going into living story releases.

> > >

> > > What they mean is, if the 2 month cadence is continued the ep3 (as lalbelled) would be march which is Q1. I suspect as SAB falls right on that time, ep3 will go to Q2.

> > >

> > > I think the wvw roadmap is severely lacking and a lack of at least fractals getting mentioned is concerning, but there are surprises due as well. Anet do need to step things up in 2020 after a seemingly negative year in 2019 for many.

> > >

> > > Regardless, theres enough roadmap threads. It will be what it will be. Anet are in hols now so feedback wont get picked up on anyway Im sure.

> >

> > Again tho, if sab was to release in q1 wouldnt that be included in the roadmap? Either the roadmap doesnt include everything, in which case thats a bad thing, or it includes everything which means q1 is fairly light.

>

> I think it would be nit picking about whether SAB is included given it is right at the end of Q1 and the start of Q2. I don't think the roadmap includes everything. Just the immediate highlights.

Yet its titled q1 so imo it should include all the major bits of content in q1 it only includes 1 festival and 1 lw episode so in theory that leaves 1 month open. Tho i was told lunar festival is also in jan so idk.

> @"Donari.5237" said:

> SAB is an April thing. Since March 31 is a Tuesday, it could be that SAB would technically start in March, but ANet would probably get roasted for calling it Q1 content when it only hits one day of Q1.

>

> I don't PvP or WvW at all, but like Danikat I'm sure getting some meaty updates in those modes is sorely needed by those who do, and it counts as content even if I personally don't use it.

whats the meaty content? the warclaw update and a balance patch?

> @"zealex.9410" said:

> > @"Randulf.7614" said:

> > > @"zealex.9410" said:

> > > > @"Randulf.7614" said:

> > > > > @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > > > > I can't figure out image linking on my phone, but look at the 2020 announcemt again. Episode 2 of Icebrood Saga is one of the things listed for January. (The first episode was called a prologue, so the numbering is 1 behind the total number released.)

> > > > >

> > > > > Also there's a lot of people who are more interested in PvP and WvW than PvE and I think they'll be happy to hear some big updates are (finally) coming because I know a lot of them have been frustrated when it feels like all the effort is going into living story releases.

> > > >

> > > > What they mean is, if the 2 month cadence is continued the ep3 (as lalbelled) would be march which is Q1. I suspect as SAB falls right on that time, ep3 will go to Q2.

> > > >

> > > > I think the wvw roadmap is severely lacking and a lack of at least fractals getting mentioned is concerning, but there are surprises due as well. Anet do need to step things up in 2020 after a seemingly negative year in 2019 for many.

> > > >

> > > > Regardless, theres enough roadmap threads. It will be what it will be. Anet are in hols now so feedback wont get picked up on anyway Im sure.

> > >

> > > Again tho, if sab was to release in q1 wouldnt that be included in the roadmap? Either the roadmap doesnt include everything, in which case thats a bad thing, or it includes everything which means q1 is fairly light.

> >

> > I think it would be nit picking about whether SAB is included given it is right at the end of Q1 and the start of Q2. I don't think the roadmap includes everything. Just the immediate highlights.

>

> Yet its titled q1 so imo it should include all the major bits of content in q1 it only includes 1 festival and 1 lw episode so in theory that leaves 1 month open. Tho i was told lunar festival is also in jan so idk.

It's titled Q1 yes, but nowhere does it say it is a full and complete roadmap for the next 3 months. They are highlighted updates that selected devs have commented on. Do they even label it a roadmap or call it a complete list? Unless I'm missing something, I don't think they do and it is the community expecting something different than actually written.

So yes, I am expecting other things. SAB of course although it straddles the quarters/ Ep3 maybe, but more likely April. Doesn't mean it wont come in Q1 though and doesn't mean we wont get a new highlight later in this quarter to acknowledge that

They key thing is we have some idea of what is coming. There are some notable absences which is a little concerning, but also doesn't mean we wont get them either. Perhaps the next raid will be slotted in as a surprise (seems a weird idea, but Anet do prefer to surprise more often than not)

> @"Jayden Reese.9542" said:

> You get the festivals happen every year right? So when you get back to back like wintersday/lunar new year w/e where you gonna squeeze the new content in where we aren't torn between new content and the festival. Then you want to count epi 2 as jan or feb content? And SAb could overlap March/april and March 28th would tech be 2 months from Epi 2 Jan 28th but do you want that 3 days before Sab? Think please

Sab hasnt had new content in years, so id personslly prefer to get ep3 in march, its not like the devs wont be doing it with ep2 and lunar anyways.

> @"zealex.9410" said:

> > @"Donari.5237" said:

> > SAB is an April thing. Since March 31 is a Tuesday, it could be that SAB would technically start in March, but ANet would probably get roasted for calling it Q1 content when it only hits one day of Q1.

> >

> > I don't PvP or WvW at all, but like Danikat I'm sure getting some meaty updates in those modes is sorely needed by those who do, and it counts as content even if I personally don't use it.

>

> whats the meaty content? the warclaw update and a balance patch?

That’s the way it’s being sold.

And there are some that will buy that reasoning.

> @"Strider Pj.2193" said:

> > @"zealex.9410" said:

> > > @"Donari.5237" said:

> > > SAB is an April thing. Since March 31 is a Tuesday, it could be that SAB would technically start in March, but ANet would probably get roasted for calling it Q1 content when it only hits one day of Q1.

> > >

> > > I don't PvP or WvW at all, but like Danikat I'm sure getting some meaty updates in those modes is sorely needed by those who do, and it counts as content even if I personally don't use it.

> >

> > whats the meaty content? the warclaw update and a balance patch?

>

> That’s the way it’s being sold.

>

> And there are some that will buy that reasoning.

Balance has always been content. Changing the way a game is played, shaking things up and refreshing it always worked that way. GW2 as a whole isn't centered around it, but since 2 thirds of the game revolve around player vs player interaction that still very much works, honestly.

Now that might not be what people want (new maps, new gamemodes or whatever), but it should still count. Personally I think that the large scale changes they were talking about in terms of damage and sustain definitely fall into this category. That's really big if it's done all in one go and not bit by bit over weeks if not months.

Wouldn't it with a 2 month cadence for normal living world be:

January 28 >The Icebrood Saga Episode Two, Arrives January 28

February > Lunar New Year

March > Icebrood Saga Episode Three

April > SAB (hopefully with new sab world added)

May > Icebrood Saga Episode Four

June > Dragon Bash

July > Icebrood Saga Episode Five

August > Festival of Four Winds + Queen Jubilee

September > Icebrood Saga Episode Six

October > Halloween Festival

November > Icebrood Saga Episode Seven

December > Wintersday Festival

January next year > Icebrood Saga Episode Eight

February > Lunar New Year

March > Icebrood Saga Episode 9 (finale) > assuming it is in line with LWS2 amount of episodes.

If an episode is delayed then it will be replaced with the weekly bonus event that month (worldboss/meta) I guess and the living world then takes place on when the next was originally announced.

Hopefully in between this all we will see new strikes (those are part of living world itself), new raids, new fractals, wvw alliances, some pvp addition and non monetized expansion like features that are actually expansion like (no loadouts "templates", ascended cooking, capes is not one...).

> @"Blocki.4931" said:

> > @"Strider Pj.2193" said:

> > > > @"Donari.5237" said:

> > > > SAB is an April thing. Since March 31 is a Tuesday, it could be that SAB would technically start in March, but ANet would probably get roasted for calling it Q1 content when it only hits one day of Q1.

> > > >

> > > > I don't PvP or WvW at all, but like Danikat I'm sure getting some meaty updates in those modes is sorely needed by those who do, and it counts as content even if I personally don't use it.

> > >

> > > whats the meaty content? the warclaw update and a balance patch?

> >

> > That’s the way it’s being sold.

> >

> > And there are some that will buy that reasoning.

>

> Balance has always been content. Changing the way a game is played, shaking things up and refreshing it always worked that way. GW2 as a whole isn't centered around it, but since 2 thirds of the game revolve around player vs player interaction that still very much works, honestly.

>

> Now that might not be what people want (new maps, new gamemodes or whatever), but it should still count. Personally I think that the large scale changes they were talking about in terms of damage and sustain definitely fall into this category. That's really big if it's done all in one go and not bit by bit over weeks if not months.

If it works, I’ll call it ‘meaty’,

I don’t think we are denying it’s content... it’s just what the level is.

I’ve not been in favor of previous large balance updates, as I would prefer frequent tweaks to get closer to a manageable balance, but I think for some of us, most things short of an alliances release date (or approximate one) come across as lacking.

> @"Strider Pj.2193" said:

> > @"zealex.9410" said:

> > > @"Donari.5237" said:

> > > SAB is an April thing. Since March 31 is a Tuesday, it could be that SAB would technically start in March, but ANet would probably get roasted for calling it Q1 content when it only hits one day of Q1.

> > >

> > > I don't PvP or WvW at all, but like Danikat I'm sure getting some meaty updates in those modes is sorely needed by those who do, and it counts as content even if I personally don't use it.

> >

> > whats the meaty content? the warclaw update and a balance patch?

>

> That’s the way it’s being sold.

>

> And there are some that will buy that reasoning.

I wasn't saying one way or the other what the announced WvW/PvP update quality is, just responding to OP saying balance should never come at the expense of playable content. Danikat and I were pointing out that for the PvP/WvW crowd, improving those areas definitely comes before PvE stuff they'll never play. And thus while it does us (and OP) no good at all, she and I aren't getting all annoyed that some of the "monthly content" isn't PvE stuff.

> @"Donari.5237" said:

> > > > SAB is an April thing. Since March 31 is a Tuesday, it could be that SAB would technically start in March, but ANet would probably get roasted for calling it Q1 content when it only hits one day of Q1.

> > > >

> > > > I don't PvP or WvW at all, but like Danikat I'm sure getting some meaty updates in those modes is sorely needed by those who do, and it counts as content even if I personally don't use it.

> > >

> >

> >

>

> I wasn't saying one way or the other what the announced WvW/PvP update quality is, just responding to OP saying balance should never come at the expense of playable content. Danikat and I were pointing out that for the PvP/WvW crowd, improving those areas definitely comes before PvE stuff they'll never play. And thus while it does us (and OP) no good at all, she and I aren't getting all annoyed that some of the "monthly content" isn't PvE stuff.

My comments weren’t intended as a knock on you or @"Danikat.8537" . I agree that the PvP and WvW needs some attention. I took your comment as that those modes need some meaty updates. Not necessarily that you felt what was coming was meaty.

For me, if the balance update is effective enough at reigning in damage and passive defense, while allowing more classes to be considered valuable in the larger scale combat, I could call it meaty.

Traditionally though, the balance updates have been small (which is more to my liking as it tweaks things gradually to see effects) and add that to updates of any kind to Warclaw and I think the ‘update’ is going to greatly underwhelm.

And my last point about alliances stands for many: any update short of an announcement on a release timeline will be considered a fail.

> @"zealex.9410" said:

> I dont want you to overwork your employees, but something needs to change if this mmo is to improve and grow in the future, it needs to hold a spot on the map and it needs ppl to notice it.

>

> Regardless of the barebones nature of the roadmap, i want to say, keep at it, dont let the critisism and any negativity prevent you from communicating, setting deadlines for your self and sharing them with us, i trully believe it will lead you to improvement if you keep at it.

Not sure these two sentiments are really consistent. All that their communication yields is misinterpretation (they never called it a roadmap, but everyone seems oddly okay with just making it that) and unjustified disappointment therefrom.

They didn't call it a roadmap. It isn't comprehensive or specific enough to be a roadmap. Stop calling it a roadmap.

This is not to say that your inferences about content are inaccurate. In fact, I do agree with the "grim picture" of content release, but I had that grim picture in my head the moment I figured out that the new mastery was just another living world throwaway.

> @"Healix.5819" said:

> > @"voltaicbore.8012" said:

> > They didn't call it a roadmap.

>

> Though they did call this a roadmap.

>

Interesting, I didn't click on it when I initially read the post, so I didn't notice the filename. I stand corrected.

As a lawyer, if I had a corporate client trying to avoid being cornered into a specific label but someone went ahead and used that label on corporate material anyways... well suffice it to say I just make sure my clients know exactly how damaging that is. It would be as if someone was caught emailing a file named "Ledger of money we stole and laundered.xlsx"

> @"Donari.5237" said:

> > > >

> > >

> >

> >

>

> I wasn't saying one way or the other what the announced WvW/PvP update quality is, just responding to OP saying balance should never come at the expense of playable content. Danikat and I were pointing out that for the PvP/WvW crowd, improving those areas definitely comes before PvE stuff they'll never play. And thus while it does us (and OP) no good at all, she and I aren't getting all annoyed that some of the "monthly content" isn't PvE stuff.

Im aware balance is more content for wvw and pvp than actual content is too them due to the nature of pvp activities. What im argueing is thst the three teams doing lw dont also do balance and tranditionally we've been getting lw and balance seperately from one another. its not like they take all the lw artists to make an ingame skin when we get one with lw, gemstore stuff keeps comming.