please show our characters in future cinematics!

coso.9173

i've enjoyed the latest cinematics a lot! But sadly our character hasn't been shown in them :(

I know this can be done, since it has been done before several times, we're part of the group, when you show all companions, shour our characters too! It's really nice to see them in the cinematics and how they react to things :)

> @"NanoEliteSixSixSix.8935" said:

> Seriously. I quite liked having my character around for the end scenes of 'Long Live the Lich' and 'War Eternal', and was bummed when the same didn't happen for 'Whispers in the Dark'. Here's hoping for more Player Character cutscene presence as the game goes forward.

I feel like the commander wasn't there, as usual so you can observe the situation with your own eyes, there were too many characters too, so it'd be a visual mess putting our hero here and as we know a lot of players have like Permafrost Ice Encasement outfit or something which really would take off eyes from the animation put in other characters and the whole creepy situation.

I feel like this is the main thing why it was impossible to put commander in this cinematic from WitD, and in S4 cinematics the commander was static, plus there wasn't 5 different characters that have reactions on their own.

I felt like not putting my representation gave me more room to react on my own - did I feel fear, was I amazed, was I laughing at Fraenir's weird smile or maybe cringed or creeped out - you see... seeing every character depending on race would be impossible to capture what you feel and what your representation in game feels.

We have never seen the Commander's reactions in any of Gw2's cinematic, because of the reason I stated above, putting our player character is important only if there is either a dialogue going on, or another character like Joko or Aurene needs the commander to be there, so it'd make sense to have this physical representation, in the final cinematic of WitD on the other hand, it was much more how you alone can react to your friends' reaction and it made the final look at the camera of Fraenir so much more better.

It seems that the player was not in this episode cut scene, because it was a vid and not rendered in game. Otherwise I don't see why they wouldn't include the player at least in the background so they didn't have to be rendered well.

As for the player reacting, could have easily gotten a facial expression to the dialogue.

We've had it happen before in the cinematic with Palawa Joko and with Aurene in that ending cinematic too...so I don't see the issue.

I do hope we get to see more of such cinematics, for Commander plays the biggest part in the story and it kinda feels bad seeing NPCs in cinematic and not YOUR character!

> @"Blur.3465" said:

> We've had it happen before in the cinematic with Palawa Joko and with Aurene in that ending cinematic too...so I don't see the issue.

> I do hope we get to see more of such cinematics, for Commander plays the biggest part in the story and it kinda feels bad seeing NPCs in cinematic and not YOUR character!

that's really a quicktime event rather than a cinematic, a cinematic is pre-rendered video and most likely much smaller in file size (looks pretty bad on my 1440p monitor) compared to quick time events

yes, sure they can make more of it, but it seems it took the majority of dev's time, that is you wont mind getting a barren map like Domain of Kourna again, because I'm unsure the devs are willing to risk having the community bashing them for delivering an unfinished map again; unless the narrative team wrote the commander into the specific scene like Long Live the Lich

The reason why it probably won't happen is because they've started using mocap in their cutscenes, which ups the animation quality considerably but it's hard to generalize that to all player characters without something looking wonky.

In Long Live the Lich, the player character was also conveniently frozen and didn't animate.

• 7 months later...

> @"Tulki.1458" said:

> The reason why it probably won't happen is because they've started using mocap in their cutscenes, which ups the animation quality considerably but it's hard to generalize that to all player characters without something looking wonky.

>

> In Long Live the Lich, the player character was also conveniently frozen and didn't animate.

what is mocap? I remember seeing out charcters in a cinematic with Joko and it looked good enough, I didn't really see any difference with the newer cinematics IMO

edit: ah motion capture, Duh XD

> @"Ultramex.1506" said:

> I really want it too, even if my character only stand there and watch as thing unfold, i'm still ok with that because it mean the game acknowledge my existence.

Yesss me too! The commander has a personality, let us see it in cinematics!