WvW Server Performance - Unanswered Post #317

As someone who has played about 80% of the Friday Restarts since GW2 has been released, this is by far the worst state the servers have ever been in, even taken culling into account.

I have the great advantage of being able to play from one of the best performing networks in germany and still can't manage to play this game between 7 and 11pm.

This is not a 3-Way Problem. Your Servers do not work. Period.

2 Parties with 60 People? Can't dodge. Can't cast. Can't Heal. Can't Resurrect. People are Teleporting.

3 Parties? People desync by seconds up to larger fractions of a Minute.

You have been constantly downgrading these Servers. Even though Player-Slots have been cut by at least 30% (Yes we counted Player numbers on spawn back in the day) and even though computing power/web hosting has gotten much cheaper over the years you stil managed to worsen the overall experience and performance.

I can reassure you and all of my community members that this problem is your server and your server only. I'm also quite convinced that this is due to the fact, that you are cutting costs. At the wrong spot again.

We have lost many Players within the first 60 minutes of every week, because they experience these lags, which are completely preventable, and instantly log out.

You have chosen to lose these Players and you will continue to lose Players, because in the end only a working gamemode will keep these players.

Thank you for investing the extra 300€ a month to give all of us the necessary performance to enjoy this game.

P.S.: Please don't add anymore mounts and other stuff that requires a Tick higher then 4, because the faster an object moves, the more it will desync when the tickrate is low (you could have calculated that beforehand btw.).

P.P.S.: If you don't have the money necessary, feel free to ask the community. We would all be happy to pay, if at least we could prevent the gamemode from being completely neglected/dying out.

This evening was actually surprisingly smooth for me. No entrance lag on reset (last week was absolutely horrid) and no noticable skill lag or warping around even when all three servers clashed. I only saw brief moments of skills slowing down/speeding up but nothing bad (last reset my pistol autoattacks literally took 5s between shots, frequently)

so it lagged again or not? im pretty sure it did lag cus havent seen a friday reset night not lag for many years :P this why i havent bothered for eternity to play on friday its like a day off for me since its pointless..

but ye as some may have notice i bumped up all complain post about lags cus its getting out of control every night nowadays :(

I've had a few people look at the lagg issue. The ping traces all conclude its the AWS servers. Now the root cause could be anything from Anet not purchasing sufficient capacity, to Amazon being a financial leech, seriously bad coding considerations (boon and condi stacking causing delayed calculations before RTT resumes), Regional priorities being reset to place US before other regions etc. I dont work for Amazon therefore the cause is speculative but Amazon servers it is. What is totally annoying is not so much the obscene ping experienced by a significant portion of the player base, but rather, Anet knowing there is a problem somewhere and not saying something like "listen folks, the pandemic has caused many alterations to how we can operate in this environment (working from home, server maintenance etc). We are aware of the lagg issues much of the player base is undergoing and at the first opportunity we will attempt to secure a better understanding the the problems cause, and subsequently keep you posted on the progress".... BUT NO... not one single word from Anet in respect this subject... not one word. That is simply poor management and only serves to decrease brand and increase client anger.

> @"LetoII.3782" said:

> > @"Sovereign.1093" said:

> > Felt a lot of this today. <3

> >

> > Is our maintenance in Amazon ok?

>

> When it's only one game constantly choking up and the lions share of the internet runs on aws without an issue.. It's not amazon

Well it is china wuhan hubei covid 2019 pandemic, meaning they maybe on skeleton crew.

> @"Sovereign.1093" said:

> > @"LetoII.3782" said:

> > > @"Sovereign.1093" said:

> > > Felt a lot of this today. <3

> > >

> > > Is our maintenance in Amazon ok?

> >

> > When it's only one game constantly choking up and the lions share of the internet runs on aws without an issue.. It's not amazon

>

> Well it is china wuhan hubei covid 2019 pandemic, meaning they maybe on skeleton crew.

Skeletons are immune to diseases, they cant use that as an excuse.

> @"TingleTangleBob.6027" said:

> As someone who has played about 80% of the Friday Restarts since GW2 has been released, this is by far the worst state the servers have ever been in, even taken culling into account.

> I have the great advantage of being able to play from one of the best performing networks in germany and still can't manage to play this game between 7 and 11pm.

> This is not a 3-Way Problem. Your Servers do not work. Period.

>

which would that be? Telekom? Because Telekom has a shit peering at DE-IX, where the amazon servers are peered.

> @"Dawdler.8521" said:

> > @"Sovereign.1093" said:

> > > @"LetoII.3782" said:

> > > > @"Sovereign.1093" said:

> > > > Felt a lot of this today. <3

> > > >

> > > > Is our maintenance in Amazon ok?

> > >

> > > When it's only one game constantly choking up and the lions share of the internet runs on aws without an issue.. It's not amazon

> >

> > Well it is china wuhan hubei covid 2019 pandemic, meaning they maybe on skeleton crew.

> Skeletons are immune to diseases, they cant use that as an excuse.

>

/S

:) Being literal shows bad form

the funny thing is, you can even smell enemy groups by watching the ping-explosions. if one zerg is nearby, it's kinda random if it lags or not, but if two groups are nearby or even fight yet, it always announces itself by bringing constant ping110+ on the table.

then there is random parts in this too - it does not always lag equally, not everbody deconnects (for example i have really bad ping often at high load, but rarely deconnect. also not everbody has the same bad ping on the same situations i feel.

really bad lagbringers are mounts, invisibility, teleports and any kind of longer lasting aoe-skills (lines, fields)

> @"VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618" said:

> > @"TingleTangleBob.6027" said:

> > As someone who has played about 80% of the Friday Restarts since GW2 has been released, this is by far the worst state the servers have ever been in, even taken culling into account.

> > I have the great advantage of being able to play from one of the best performing networks in germany and still can't manage to play this game between 7 and 11pm.

> > This is not a 3-Way Problem. Your Servers do not work. Period.

> >

>

> which would that be? Telekom? Because Telekom has a kitten peering at DE-IX, where the amazon servers are peered.

>

Versatel. Fibre Connected Company Network. Almost all Servers in Germany have a Ping of below 4 for me.