Thank you for gift of a free cape!

> @"sorudo.9054" said:

> but why call him a vanguard when he was a prince?

> @"Linken.6345" said:

> > @"sorudo.9054" said:

> > but why call him a vanguard when he was a prince?

>

> Apparently thats the name of his warband.

> https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Prince_Rurik

>

> As a boy, Prince Rurik trained at the Ascalon Academy and did a stint as an officer in the army. Today, he maintains a fighting force of his own, known as the Ascalon Vanguard.

It's not so much a Warband.. that's more a Charr thing.

The Ascalon Vanguard were essentially an Elite force directly commanded by Price Rurik and seperate from the rest of the Ascalon Army under the King's command.

The Ebon Vanguard are also originally from this group of Elite soldiers as well but when Rurik led a group of Ascalonian refugees over the Shiverpeaks to Kryta, many soldiers in the Vanguard did not follow him, instead they stayed in Ascalon to fight the Charr under the leadership of the King and renamed themselves the Ebon Vanguard.

Chiming in as well; a big thank you for this one. It has an unbelievable amount of 4 (!) dye channels, is a marvellous gift to go with the celebration and fits a human soldier profession with the Hall of Monuments reward skin (a.k.a. Fiery Dragon Sword), the Kryta's Embrace and the heritage armour so well! *wub*

I just came back to GW2 after more than 5 years away. I actually think this is my first post on the forum as well. I just started leveling up a norn warrior since I couldn't remember anything to jump right back in on my old level 50 human guardian. With the extra at-home-time, exploring Tyria is amazing. I'm having so much fun! The story and lore is interesting and exploring the map is pretty exciting for me for some reason. I took this opportunity to buy the expansions, so big thanks to ArenaNet for their generosity. I also think the cape is interesting, however it clips right through my great sword on my warrior so I probably won't be using it on him. It's pretty neat nonetheless and, well, it's free so no complaints!

> @"Linken.6345" said:

> > @"sorudo.9054" said:

>

> Apparently thats the name of his warband.

> https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Prince_Rurik

>

> As a boy, Prince Rurik trained at the Ascalon Academy and did a stint as an officer in the army. Today, he maintains a fighting force of his own, known as the Ascalon Vanguard.

He became an undead enemy as well in fire isle aka the Emo Rurik

> @"Teratus.2859" said:

> > @"sorudo.9054" said:

>

> > @"Linken.6345" said:

> > > @"sorudo.9054" said:

> > > but why call him a vanguard when he was a prince?

> >

> > Apparently thats the name of his warband.

> > https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Prince_Rurik

> >

> > As a boy, Prince Rurik trained at the Ascalon Academy and did a stint as an officer in the army. Today, he maintains a fighting force of his own, known as the Ascalon Vanguard.

>

> It's not so much a Warband.. that's more a Charr thing.

>

> The Ascalon Vanguard were essentially an Elite force directly commanded by Price Rurik and seperate from the rest of the Ascalon Army under the King's command.

> The Ebon Vanguard are also originally from this group of Elite soldiers as well but when Rurik led a group of Ascalonian refugees over the Shiverpeaks to Kryta, many soldiers in the Vanguard did not follow him, instead they stayed in Ascalon to fight the Charr under the leadership of the King and renamed themselves the Ebon Vanguard.

Also Prince is a (social) rank, and vanguard is a military function, so it's possible to be both. The vanguard is the part that heads out ahead of the main army (called the van) either leading a charge in a pitched battle or scouting ahead and taking key points before the main army moves in.

I was going to say Rurik would be part of the vanguard rather than being the vanguard himself, because a one-person vanguard would almost certainly be a very bad idea. But then I remembered it's Rurik we're talking about, who was notorious among GW1 players for his extremely annoying habit of dashing off ahead of the group, straight into whatever enemies were around (in missions where you failed if he died), so I guess he did think he could be a one-man vanguard. And look how that turned out for him.

> @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > @"Teratus.2859" said:

> > > @"sorudo.9054" said:

> > > but why call him a vanguard when he was a prince?

> >

> > > @"Linken.6345" said:

> > > > @"sorudo.9054" said:

> > > > but why call him a vanguard when he was a prince?

> > >

> > > Apparently thats the name of his warband.

> > > https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Prince_Rurik

> > >

> > > As a boy, Prince Rurik trained at the Ascalon Academy and did a stint as an officer in the army. Today, he maintains a fighting force of his own, known as the Ascalon Vanguard.

> >

> > It's not so much a Warband.. that's more a Charr thing.

> >

> > The Ascalon Vanguard were essentially an Elite force directly commanded by Price Rurik and seperate from the rest of the Ascalon Army under the King's command.

> > The Ebon Vanguard are also originally from this group of Elite soldiers as well but when Rurik led a group of Ascalonian refugees over the Shiverpeaks to Kryta, many soldiers in the Vanguard did not follow him, instead they stayed in Ascalon to fight the Charr under the leadership of the King and renamed themselves the Ebon Vanguard.

>

> Also Prince is a (social) rank, and vanguard is a military function, so it's possible to be both. The vanguard is the part that heads out ahead of the main army (called the van) either leading a charge in a pitched battle or scouting ahead and taking key points before the main army moves in.

>

> I was going to say Rurik would be part of the vanguard rather than being the vanguard himself, because a one-person vanguard would almost certainly be a very bad idea. But then I remembered it's Rurik we're talking about, who was notorious among GW1 players for his extremely annoying habit of dashing off ahead of the group, straight into whatever enemies were around (in missions where you failed if he died), so I guess he did think he could be a one-man vanguard. And look how that turned out for him.

Ha that he did XD

He really lived upto the Warrior stereotype lol

Thank you for the free cape. It really suits the character I've been playing recently. I like the dye channels: I've been dying it shadow abyss which hides the logo design on it. I don't have any other capes, but now that I see how it looks in game, I'm more likely to get another one.

> @"Teratus.2859" said:

> > @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > > @"Teratus.2859" said:

> > > > @"sorudo.9054" said:

> > > > but why call him a vanguard when he was a prince?

> > >

> > > > @"Linken.6345" said:

> > > > > @"sorudo.9054" said:

> > > > > but why call him a vanguard when he was a prince?

> > > >

> > > > Apparently thats the name of his warband.

> > > > https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Prince_Rurik

> > > >

> > > > As a boy, Prince Rurik trained at the Ascalon Academy and did a stint as an officer in the army. Today, he maintains a fighting force of his own, known as the Ascalon Vanguard.

> > >

> > > It's not so much a Warband.. that's more a Charr thing.

> > >

> > > The Ascalon Vanguard were essentially an Elite force directly commanded by Price Rurik and seperate from the rest of the Ascalon Army under the King's command.

> > > The Ebon Vanguard are also originally from this group of Elite soldiers as well but when Rurik led a group of Ascalonian refugees over the Shiverpeaks to Kryta, many soldiers in the Vanguard did not follow him, instead they stayed in Ascalon to fight the Charr under the leadership of the King and renamed themselves the Ebon Vanguard.

> >

> > Also Prince is a (social) rank, and vanguard is a military function, so it's possible to be both. The vanguard is the part that heads out ahead of the main army (called the van) either leading a charge in a pitched battle or scouting ahead and taking key points before the main army moves in.

> >

> > I was going to say Rurik would be part of the vanguard rather than being the vanguard himself, because a one-person vanguard would almost certainly be a very bad idea. But then I remembered it's Rurik we're talking about, who was notorious among GW1 players for his extremely annoying habit of dashing off ahead of the group, straight into whatever enemies were around (in missions where you failed if he died), so I guess he did think he could be a one-man vanguard. And look how that turned out for him.

>

> Ha that he did XD

>

> He really lived upto the Warrior stereotype lol

In GW1 we nicknamed him Prince Runamok lol