[Suggestion] Concept: New Espec, the Soulblade

Trise.2865

If you think about it, the Revenant is fairly similar to a Dungeons and Dragons fifth edition Warlock with the ability to change Patrons for different boons and benefits. Using the Hexblade archetype as inspiration, I thought about what it might be like, having a semi-sentient weapon as your Legendary Spirit. Here's my take:

The Revenant Soulblade masters hidden techniques of the Greatsword and channels the Legendary Sword Spirit to empower their attacks and disrupt their enemies.

Greatsword: Using blade drawing techniques, the Soulblade's Greatsword is both an offensive and defensive weapon.

* Drawn Stance / Sheathed Stance: The primary mechanic of this Greatsword, it will have skills that switch between offensive and defensive stances, and have mildly different effects depending on which one you were in. Combat will always begin in Drawn stance, though nearly every move will swap stances, so it's important to think about skill order.

* Their primary attack chain has the least amount of difference between the stances. The first two hits would apply fairly standard Bleeding stacks, with the Third preparing a Counter Hit: either blocking an incoming attack and responding with big damage and Bleeding (entering Sheathed stance), or quickly Released for a PBAoE attack (and returning to Drawn stance).

* Another move will be an attack I call Vacuum Cut. In Drawn Stance, it will create a big, horizontal slash that spreads out in front of the Soulblade in a wide arc (similar to Guardian Staff 1) and enter Sheathed Stance. If already in Sheathed Stance, it will instead release a line attack straight ahead at a longer range, and enter Drawn Stance.

* A third skill is a defensive ability called Cut from the Air. In Drawn stance, this move will destroy projectiles and Knock Down nearby enemies. In Sheathed stance, this move will Reflect projectiles briefly, then Knock Back nearby enemies.

* An important skill for this to work is the fast-activating Draw/Sheath. This allows the Soulblade to swap stances near-instantly (instead of using a move), and gain Protection (if Drawn swapping to Sheathed) or Might (if Sheathed swapping to Drawn). This move should also Break Stun, with Energy cost and/or Cooldown to compensate.

* Though I have plenty of ideas for a fifth skill, I'll leave the last one intentionally blank, to see what they/you all come up with.

Special Mechanic: The Soulblade gains Energy slower than a base Revenant, but is able to maintain a Spiritual Weapon attached to you that attacks when you attack, and can mimic skills similar or complimentary to yours, regardless of what weapon you wield or Legend the Revenant is channeling! But, equipping the Legendary Sword Spirit gives additional options.

Legendary Sword Spirit: Call upon the Soul of the Blade to defend yourself, or buff yourself and allies. (No, there is no bonus for owning an actual Legendary Sword/Greatsword... but it would look *amazing*.)

* Blade Infusion: Activate Legendary Sword stance again to cause your Spiritual Weapon to merge with your existing weapon(s) for a short time. It's attacks will be disabled, but grant you Might stacks and Quickness while active.

* Gift of Blades: You send your Spiritual Weapon to guard a specific Target Area, dealing damage as normal, but to the target area instead of your target. Up to 1 ally inside the target area will also trigger your Spiritual Weapon damage when they attack. The Spiritual Weapon returns to you at the end of its duration or if you use another Legendary Sword skill.

* Flying Sword: Fling your Spiritual Weapon in a straight line, dealing damage and briefly setting up a Gift of Blades area at the line's end or the first enemy it hits.

* Dancing Defender: While you Channel this ability, your Spiritual Weapon stops attacking and Blocks incoming attacks instead. If used while Gift of Blades is active, it does not end the field, and instead enemies are prevented from entering the Gift of Blades for as long as you channel Dancing Defender (or the remaining duration, which ever is sooner).

* Thirsting Blade (Heal): Whenever your Spiritual Weapon attacks (regardless of where it is), you heal a small amount. Allies (including yourself) inside a Gift of Blades also heal that amount.

* Storm of Swords (Elite): Stack two Gift of Blades Areas at the same target area (or around yourself) and activate Blade Infusion on yourself. These Storms of Swords deal damage as a normal Gift of Blades, and each reading different allies.

Revenants call upon echoes of once living spirits/characters. Who would it be channelling in this concept? Your idea can stand with a sentient sword (Marjory has something similar with her sword imbued by her sister's spirit), but it needs to have an actual Legend it can call upon

> @"Randulf.7614" said:

> Revenants call upon echoes of once living spirits/characters. Who would it be channelling in this concept? Your idea can stand with a sentient sword (Marjory has something similar with her sword imbued by her sister's spirit), but it needs to have an actual Legend it can call upon

I wonder if Revenants could call upon fictional legends, or legends from the future - I mean, we really have no idea how any of this works.

> @"Westenev.5289" said:

> > @"Randulf.7614" said:

> > Revenants call upon echoes of once living spirits/characters. Who would it be channelling in this concept? Your idea can stand with a sentient sword (Marjory has something similar with her sword imbued by her sister's spirit), but it needs to have an actual Legend it can call upon

>

> I wonder if Revenants could call upon fictional legends, or legends from the future - I mean, we really have no idea how any of this works.

Maybe, but the appeal of the Legends comes from their attachment to known lore. And there's no shortage of options - it's just finding one that fits the presented theme

Not a sceptre/ritualist = I enjoy.

Having the third auto be a "prepare for enemy to hit, then counterattack" in sheated stance sounds pretty strange to me though.

In PvP it would have similiar problems to the old ranger GS evade, while in PvE it would just feel awkward to just stand there waiting for an enemy to attack/hit you.

I'm also not too fond of minion/pet classes. AI can be wonky. Especially if your damage relies on it (mimic mechanic).

Nonetheless it is an interesting take on a new specc.

> @"Randulf.7614" said:

> Revenants call upon echoes of once living spirits/characters. Who would it be channelling in this concept? Your idea can stand with a sentient sword (Marjory has something similar with her sword imbued by her sister's spirit), but it needs to have an actual Legend it can call upon

I was going to attribute it to Archemorus (who famously used a spear, so... not the best fit), but I decided to keep it deliberately vague for creativity reasons. Besides, who says the Legend you channel has to be an historical figure, just because all of them have been so far? or that the being had to have been alive? or that the being has to have died? Revenants channel *memories* and *consciousness* from The Mists, which has nothing to do with material being. If it's in The Mists, has consciousness, and has powers to draw, a Revenant could channel it.

But, for the sake of argument, here's a few concepts:

They could be channeling the unified spirit of thousands of ancient swordmasters into their weapon (a very literal Soul of the Sword), or a Guardian Spirit of the Sword. They could be channeling their past/future self (the Mists are eternal, time has no meaning) and *their own* legend.

They could channel a specific sentient sword, like Magdaer, or sword master, like Talon Silverwing, or even War himself, Balthazar.

> @"Trise.2865" said:

> > Revenants call upon echoes of once living spirits/characters. Who would it be channelling in this concept? Your idea can stand with a sentient sword (Marjory has something similar with her sword imbued by her sister's spirit), but it needs to have an actual Legend it can call upon

>

> I was going to attribute it to Archemorus (who famously used a spear, so... not the best fit), but I decided to keep it deliberately vague for creativity reasons. Besides, who says the Legend you channel has to be an historical figure, just because all of them have been so far? or that the being had to have been alive? or that the being has to have died? Revenants channel *memories* and *consciousness* from The Mists, which has nothing to do with material being. If it's in The Mists, has consciousness, and has powers to draw, a Revenant could channel it.

>

> But, for the sake of argument, here's a few concepts:

> They could be channeling the unified spirit of thousands of ancient swordmasters into their weapon (a very literal Soul of the Sword), or a Guardian Spirit of the Sword. They could be channeling their past/future self (the Mists are eternal, time has no meaning) and *their own* legend.

> They could channel a specific sentient sword, like Magdaer, or sword master, like Talon Silverwing.

Given Talon's use of a Katana and the theme of the next expac, he'd make an exceptionally good choice

> @"Raknar.4735" said:

> Not a sceptre/ritualist = I enjoy.

>

> Having the third auto be a "prepare for enemy to hit, then counterattack" in sheated stance sounds pretty strange to me though.

> In PvP it would have similiar problems to the old ranger GS evade, while in PvE it would just feel awkward to just stand there waiting for an enemy to attack/hit you.

>

> I'm also not too fond of minion/pet classes. AI can be wonky. Especially if your damage relies on it (mimic mechanic).

> Nonetheless it is an interesting take on a new specc.

Two things:

I deliberately templated the counter abilities after existing ripostes: You can wait for the counter, or pop it to attack "now". The slight counter delay does have hidden tech, allowing the player cancel into another attack Sheathed-version skills instead of waiting or cancel-attacking. Furthermore, I had envisioned this first two hits of the chain to cycle much faster than the typical 1 skill, both to compensate for the pause, and break up the "11111 spam" mentality (but this is the job of the balance teams, and not my place to say). I suppose it could be reworked as an effect of Chain 2 to enter Sheathed and Counter, and have Chain 3 be the "release attack", if that would be more clear...

The sword spirit isn't a pet. It's a familiar; another weapon that your character is wielding. It's closer to a Gyro or Aura than a Pet or Minion, with functionality like Torment. I'll admit it was inspired by Ventari's Tablet, but is not at all the same thing.

> @"Fueki.4753" said:

> Another Greatsword spec for the sake of being a Greatsword spec?

>

> I think I'm going to channel Deputy Mira for this one.

> _"By the gods, there are so many of them!"_

Okay, name another weapon the Revenant doesn't already have that fits this combat style. I'll wait...

Just wanna say I love this idea.

> @"Randulf.7614" said:

Its not like they cant just add a random legend like they did before mean Kalla is a perfect example of that. St.Viktor is a good one tho , the kurzick background and he uses a katana to fight shiro so they match up pretty well imo.

> @"Hitomi Shadowleaf.5629" said:

> Just wanna say I love this idea.

>

>

> Its not like they cant just add a random legend like they did before mean Kalla is a perfect example of that. St.Viktor is a good one tho , the kurzick background and he uses a katana to fight shiro so they match up pretty well imo.

The problem with St. Viktor and his Lxon counterpart, as well as Vizu, is that their legend is the same as Shiro's and Arenanet might not want two channels from the same legend.

> @"Trise.2865" said:

> > @"Fueki.4753" said:

> > Another Greatsword spec for the sake of being a Greatsword spec?

> >

> > I think I'm going to channel Deputy Mira for this one.

> > _"By the gods, there are so many of them!"_

>

> Okay, name another weapon the Revenant doesn't already have that fits this combat style. I'll wait...

If a Warrior can become a Mage (Spellbreaker) Literally anything can work with Revenants.

Dual Daggers as Midrange or Melee weapons

Dual Foci as fist weapons or as Midrange weapons

Dual Sceptre as melee PBAoE weapons.

Longbow as long range single target weapon

Rifle as long Range condi weapon

Also, the main point of my comment, which you apparently missed, is that I'm tired of threads that only exist for the purpose of glueing Greatsword onto a profession that doesn't need it. Most of the ideas, which are more like afterthoughts, are quarter-hearted at best. This one doesn't even have a theme other than "_muh Greatsword!_" It even lacks a legend, whose memories in the mist could be channelled.

> @"Fueki.4753" said:

> > @"Hitomi Shadowleaf.5629" said:

> > Just wanna say I love this idea.

> >

> > > @"Randulf.7614" said:

> > > Revenants call upon echoes of once living spirits/characters. Who would it be channelling in this concept? Your idea can stand with a sentient sword (Marjory has something similar with her sword imbued by her sister's spirit), but it needs to have an actual Legend it can call upon

> >

> > Its not like they cant just add a random legend like they did before mean Kalla is a perfect example of that. St.Viktor is a good one tho , the kurzick background and he uses a katana to fight shiro so they match up pretty well imo.

>

> The problem with St. Viktor and his Lxon counterpart, as well as Vizu, is that their legend is the same as Shiro's and Arenanet might not want two channels from the same legend.

No they aren't Archemorus , is a hero of the luxon people. He is was a winner of that decade's Convocation and the reason why he was at the harvest temple. Defeating shiro added to his legend but he was hero of the luxon's before shiro. The devs can easily expand the lore for that.

St.Viktor is the same, a legend of the kurzicks before shiro and that also the reason why he was at the harvest temple. The Kurzick background of singing and spirits are suitable for spec imo.

In reality the legendary Assassin channels Shiro not viktor , Archemorus , Nika or anyone other Canthan character (the dragon emperor / Togu / the exiled empresses etc).

> @"Fueki.4753" said:

> > @"Hitomi Shadowleaf.5629" said:

> > Just wanna say I love this idea.

> >

> > > @"Randulf.7614" said:

> > > Revenants call upon echoes of once living spirits/characters. Who would it be channelling in this concept? Your idea can stand with a sentient sword (Marjory has something similar with her sword imbued by her sister's spirit), but it needs to have an actual Legend it can call upon

> >

> > Its not like they cant just add a random legend like they did before mean Kalla is a perfect example of that. St.Viktor is a good one tho , the kurzick background and he uses a katana to fight shiro so they match up pretty well imo.

>

> The problem with St. Viktor and his Lxon counterpart, as well as Vizu, is that their legend is the same as Shiro's and Arenanet might not want two channels from the same legend.

>

> > @"Trise.2865" said:

> > > @"Fueki.4753" said:

> > > Another Greatsword spec for the sake of being a Greatsword spec?

> > >

> > > I think I'm going to channel Deputy Mira for this one.

> > > _"By the gods, there are so many of them!"_

> >

> > Okay, name another weapon the Revenant doesn't already have that fits this combat style. I'll wait...

> If a Warrior can become a Mage (Spellbreaker) Literally anything can work with Revenants.

> Dual Daggers as Midrange or Melee weapons

> Dual Foci as fist weapons or as Midrange weapons

> Dual Sceptre as melee PBAoE weapons.

> Longbow as long range single target weapon

> Rifle as long Range condi weapon

>

> Also, the main point of my comment, which you apparently missed, is that I'm tired of threads that only exist for the purpose of glueing Greatsword onto a profession that doesn't need it. Most of the ideas, which are more like afterthoughts, are quarter-hearted at best. This one doesn't even have a theme other than "_muh Greatsword!_" It even lacks a legend, whose memories in the mist could be channelled.

>

Oh I understand your snarky dismissal perfectly, and I rejected it. Greatsword was not chosen for this randomly. In fact, the choice of weapon was the *last* piece of information, not that you'd know or care about any of that.

Now, since we're on the subject of not reading things, what do any of those have to do with *this style*? The counterpunch/iaijutsu tank is not a common build, and adds a significant departure from the normal "mash attacks to win" play style that you yourself have bemoaned. Daggers can't counterpunch, they're for quick strikes and first-hits. Scepter or Focus could, but then that would just be a blatant copy of Guardian's Scepter and Focus. Longbow and Rifle do nothing of the sort, they're long range weapons, and even if they did, they'd just be differently-ranged copies of Renegade abilities (which the Revenant, say it with me, *already has*). Yes, one could make up reasons and change reality because "teh magickz", but this way they wouldn't have to do so.

So I ask you again, and really, actually try this time: Name a weapon the Revenant doesn't already have that can use this style of gameplay.

> @"Trise.2865" said:

> > @"Fueki.4753" said:

> > > @"Hitomi Shadowleaf.5629" said:

> > > Just wanna say I love this idea.

> > >

> > > > @"Randulf.7614" said:

> > > > Revenants call upon echoes of once living spirits/characters. Who would it be channelling in this concept? Your idea can stand with a sentient sword (Marjory has something similar with her sword imbued by her sister's spirit), but it needs to have an actual Legend it can call upon

> > >

> > > Its not like they cant just add a random legend like they did before mean Kalla is a perfect example of that. St.Viktor is a good one tho , the kurzick background and he uses a katana to fight shiro so they match up pretty well imo.

> >

> > The problem with St. Viktor and his Lxon counterpart, as well as Vizu, is that their legend is the same as Shiro's and Arenanet might not want two channels from the same legend.

> >

> > > @"Trise.2865" said:

> > > > @"Fueki.4753" said:

> > > > Another Greatsword spec for the sake of being a Greatsword spec?

> > > >

> > > > I think I'm going to channel Deputy Mira for this one.

> > > > _"By the gods, there are so many of them!"_

> > >

> > > Okay, name another weapon the Revenant doesn't already have that fits this combat style. I'll wait...

> > If a Warrior can become a Mage (Spellbreaker) Literally anything can work with Revenants.

> > Dual Daggers as Midrange or Melee weapons

> > Dual Foci as fist weapons or as Midrange weapons

> > Dual Sceptre as melee PBAoE weapons.

> > Longbow as long range single target weapon

> > Rifle as long Range condi weapon

> >

> > Also, the main point of my comment, which you apparently missed, is that I'm tired of threads that only exist for the purpose of glueing Greatsword onto a profession that doesn't need it. Most of the ideas, which are more like afterthoughts, are quarter-hearted at best. This one doesn't even have a theme other than "_muh Greatsword!_" It even lacks a legend, whose memories in the mist could be channelled.

> >

>

> Oh I understand your snarky dismissal perfectly, and I rejected it. Greatsword was not chosen for this randomly. In fact, the choice of weapon was the *last* piece of information, not that you'd know or care about any of that.

>

> Now, since we're on the subject of not reading things, what do any of those have to do with *this style*? The counterpunch/iaijutsu tank is not a common build, and adds a significant departure from the normal "mash attacks to win" play style that you yourself have bemoaned. Daggers can't counterpunch, they're for quick strikes and first-hits. Scepter or Focus could, but then that would just be a blatant copy of Guardian's Scepter and Focus. Longbow and Rifle do nothing of the sort, they're long range weapons, and even if they did, they'd just be differently-ranged copies of Renegade abilities (which the Revenant, say it with me, *already has*). Yes, one could make up reasons and change reality because "teh magickz", but this way they wouldn't have to do so.

>

> So I ask you again, and really, actually try this time: Name a weapon the Revenant doesn't already have that can use this style of gameplay.

As already mentioned, any weapon can work.

With the ranged Greatchunks on Mesmers and Hammers on Revenants, the rather slow magical daggers that hardly are "for quick strikes and first hits" on Elementalist, **literally** _any_ weapon can be used for _any_ style, including what I already mentioned.

I doubt they can make anything weirder than Renegade Portal ~~Gun~~ Shortbow.

@"Fueki.4753" You are right any weapon CAN be made into this weapon so why not go with the community favorite weapon? The Greatsword https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/12019/poll-weapon-for-the-next-revenant-elite-specialization/p1

It just seems like you NEED for it be not greatsword for whatever strange eccentric reason. 62% of the community wants it so it should be that weapon its really that simple. and this guy's concept is awesome.

Edit: AND YOU VOTED FOR LONGBOW ! A weapon with 2% we dont need ANOTHER ranged spec we JUST got one.

> why not go with the community favorite weapon?

This is exactly the problem. An Elite spec should **not** be designed around a weapon.

If it's a well-thought design idea with a proper theme that can stand alone and is cohesive without its weapon, I've no problem with it having Greatsword.

I play DH mostly without Longbow. I play Tempest without Warhorn. I play my Chronomancer without Shield. Many others play Berserker without Torch. Holosmith with Rifle instead of Sword/x was rather popular. Reaper works well without Greatsword.

But these are fundamentally different from most Revenant Greatsword (or _muh weapon X_ in general) threads, because the weapon is not the center piece.

Elite spec ideas that center around the weapon and put the theme as an afterthought, have a high probability to be less than half-hearted.

So far I haven't seen a single Thread about an Greatsword elite spec for Revenant with a well-thought concept.

This one is even lacking the core theme of the profession itself: A legend whose Memories in the Mists could be channelled.

Why would this idea be for Revenants and not, say, Thief? I've seen threads about people wishing for Thief more viable in 1vs1, this might help.

Or make the weapon a staff instead and give this playstyle to Warrior! Spellbreaker Warriors already use Guardian-esque magic, so having another spec that utilizes a type of Guardian magic (the spirit weapon) is not exactly ground-breaking.

You could also make this viable for Necromancer. Give them a hammer (or maybe even Trident or Spear on land) and make the Spirit Weapon commands be the F-skills that use Life force.

As you can read, this is idea simply is a playstyle without any theme behind it and can be applied to multiple professions.

Since there is no theme, there is nothing that links this idea to Revenant, other than the wish of a Greatsword for Revenants.

> It just seems like you NEED for it be not greatsword for whatever strange eccentric reason. 62% of the community wants it so it should be that weapon its really that simple. and this guy's concept is awesome.

It's not 62% of the community, just forum users. And we don't know if they even play Revenant.