New Mount Ability - [Merged]

Dolphin skin, please. If the hummingbird can swim in the water, the dolphin can hover above it. No mutant creations from Inquest Labs please (don't splice the dolphin with a skimmer).

Seriously, Anet can just skin anything in the water for skimmer as well as any dog (sans-sand) for jackal (still waiting for my floofy samoyed sans-sand) and I bet people will buy and collect them.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This wasn't completely obvious, some loons were predicting fishing from the skimmer. Perhaps it was just **a** loon.

The Tyrian hummingbird, at least the mega-hummingbird, is closely related to the penguin and can hold its breath for hours. Some speculate it can even hold its breath for days.

If we don't get a shark dorsal fin helm, then I truly don't understand game design.

I am going out on a limb and predict we get a turtle skin almost immediately with the release, perhaps even a turtle themed pack.

There's more than just swimming underwater. Maybe there will be crabmobiles

Octopi are known for their camouflage so that opens up stealth as an underwater mechanic

I want a nautilus motorcycle

vroom vroom

then there's that underwater warrior that helps us in Orr

so many possibilities

> @"jokke.6239" said:

> > @"Mewcifer.5198" said:

> > > @"Teratus.2859" said:

> > > Woohoo :D

> > >

> > > I would have preferred an Underwater exclusive mount but still im happy we'll finally have a mount that is usuable underwater ^^ it's been long overdue.

> > >

> > > Now all we need are some additional upgrades to underwater combat, more usable skills and a few new weapon kits to flesh out the build diversity options there and it'll be perfect ^^

> > >

> > > I have to wonder though.

> > > Why this ability and why now?

> > > Why was Skimmer chosen rather than a new mount?

> > >

> > > It might be a long shot but could we possibly be getting a new map that is largely water based in the near future?..

> > > Skimmer pretty much gurantees that everyone with PoF will have access to an underwater mount now.. reasoning for why they didn't make a new mount for this ability.

> > > And since we'll all have an underwater mount travel speeds are not going to be an issue either which they currently are with underwater content.

> > >

> > > We know Cantha is coming so maybe this answers the question on how we get there.. we swim/ ride skimmers to it xD

> >

> > Yeah, I was really hoping underwater would get it's own mount.

> > Feels weird to add underwater to a mount that was not indicated at all previously to be aquatic (and no, looking similar to a manta ray does not mean it is aquatic)

> > And there is very clearly non-aquatic skins for it too. How is my hummingbird supposed to function underwater?

> >

> > They would have had much better design and mechanic options with a new mount instead of just tacking it onto skimmer like a poor afterthought. And if they didn't want to wait for the next expansion to add it, they could have been attached to the core game, using core mastery points, as it isn't used to progress in any story instances.

>

> I disagree for the sake of convinience. Much more convinient to have a mount that does fast travel over water surfaces AND can travel underwater, instead of having to switch mounts for those two purposes.

Swapping mounts based on your current need is typical though.

I want to be able to go vertically up a mountain? Gotta swap off my raptor and get on skyscale or springer. You are swapping from the convenience of faster horizontal travel to the convenience of faster vertical travel.

Excited for it but seems like they would have included it in the coming festival and could have created some kind of race or updated the cliffs to make use of it. There really isn’t too much need for it but the trailer made it look fun! And it will certainly be nice for world exploration if nothing else.

Very happy about this, if it's done well.

I'm one of those rare players who actually really enjoys the swimming and water combat in this game, and I highly recommend swimming around the perimeter of Sandswept Isles just for the visuals under the surface. Even if they don't add a single new map to couple with this feature, I can already think of at least five places that will become a lot faster to farm and explore.

> @"Mewcifer.5198" said:

> > @"jokke.6239" said:

> > > @"Mewcifer.5198" said:

> > > > @"Teratus.2859" said:

> > > > Woohoo :D

> > > >

> > > > I would have preferred an Underwater exclusive mount but still im happy we'll finally have a mount that is usuable underwater ^^ it's been long overdue.

> > > >

> > > > Now all we need are some additional upgrades to underwater combat, more usable skills and a few new weapon kits to flesh out the build diversity options there and it'll be perfect ^^

> > > >

> > > > I have to wonder though.

> > > > Why this ability and why now?

> > > > Why was Skimmer chosen rather than a new mount?

> > > >

> > > > It might be a long shot but could we possibly be getting a new map that is largely water based in the near future?..

> > > > Skimmer pretty much gurantees that everyone with PoF will have access to an underwater mount now.. reasoning for why they didn't make a new mount for this ability.

> > > > And since we'll all have an underwater mount travel speeds are not going to be an issue either which they currently are with underwater content.

> > > >

> > > > We know Cantha is coming so maybe this answers the question on how we get there.. we swim/ ride skimmers to it xD

> > >

> > > Yeah, I was really hoping underwater would get it's own mount.

> > > Feels weird to add underwater to a mount that was not indicated at all previously to be aquatic (and no, looking similar to a manta ray does not mean it is aquatic)

> > > And there is very clearly non-aquatic skins for it too. How is my hummingbird supposed to function underwater?

> > >

> > > They would have had much better design and mechanic options with a new mount instead of just tacking it onto skimmer like a poor afterthought. And if they didn't want to wait for the next expansion to add it, they could have been attached to the core game, using core mastery points, as it isn't used to progress in any story instances.

> >

> > I disagree for the sake of convinience. Much more convinient to have a mount that does fast travel over water surfaces AND can travel underwater, instead of having to switch mounts for those two purposes.

>

> Swapping mounts based on your current need is typical though.

> I want to be able to go vertically up a mountain? Gotta swap off my raptor and get on skyscale or springer. You are swapping from the convenience of faster horizontal travel to the convenience of faster vertical travel.

That's a fair point.. I didn't really consider that in my earlier posts.

I often forget that Underwater content is essentially no different than how a Skyscale with free flying would work really..

> @"Bast.7253" said:

> Excited for it but seems like they would have included it in the coming festival and could have created some kind of race or updated the cliffs to make use of it. There really isn’t too much need for it but the trailer made it look fun! And it will certainly be nice for world exploration if nothing else.

I wouldn't be surprised if an underwater race gets added along with the mastery somewhere, similar to that Quaggan race in the guild events. But the beetle races were added some time after the beetles were out, I recall.

• 2 weeks later...

> @"Aloittelijatarmina.4015" said:

> Does anybody know how to get the Skimming of the Depths mastery track? I have a skimmer mount but I haven't got that mastery track.

Because it isn't released yet. It should come later today (with an update probably).

> @"coso.9173" said:

> how do we get the ability? any info? just automatic or is it a collection/quest?

Collection to unlock the the mastery track.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/dive-into-adventure-with-your-skimmer/

_On August 25, track down a rogue skimmer trainer through the Crystal Desert and Central Tyria to complete a new collection and unlock the Skimming the Depths Mastery track. Train the Mastery, and you’ll be able to ride your skimmer through the abyssal depths with ease._

• 3 weeks later...

A bit off topic but I would love for Anet to review to change Skyscale mount from gradually descending when flight bar is depleted to just fly at constant altitude. I wouldn't mind if the flight bar depletes at much slower pace but not the current state considering the amount of effort in getting Skyscale mount.

> @"Althena.9023" said:

> A bit off topic but I would love for Anet to review to change Skyscale mount from gradually descending when flight bar is depleted to just fly at constant altitude. I wouldn't mind if the flight bar depletes at much slower pace but not the current state considering the amount of effort in getting Skyscale mount.

I believe that this is by design. No mounts are supposed to fly eternally.

> @"Althena.9023" said:

> A bit off topic but I would love for Anet to review to change Skyscale mount from gradually descending when flight bar is depleted to just fly at constant altitude. I wouldn't mind if the flight bar depletes at much slower pace but not the current state considering the amount of effort in getting Skyscale mount.

Doesn't it just descend to a point before you consumed volatile magic? Or am I thinking of a different mechanic?

> @"kharmin.7683" said:

> > @"Althena.9023" said:

> > A bit off topic but I would love for Anet to review to change Skyscale mount from gradually descending when flight bar is depleted to just fly at constant altitude. I wouldn't mind if the flight bar depletes at much slower pace but not the current state considering the amount of effort in getting Skyscale mount.

>

> I believe that this is by design. No mounts are supposed to fly eternally.

What I've written is a suggestion to a 'by design' mechanism of Skyscale flight behavior and why not allow players to flight indefinitely if they take the trouble to climb a high altitude where no hills/mountains/invisible walls blocking?