Why core scepter damage is so low?

Junkpile.7439

> @"Sytriel.9413" said:

> Why trait One with Air? Wouldn't Ferocious Winds be a better option here? One of the key points of FA builds is to stay in Air as much as possible so One with Air seems redundant. Or am I missing something from your build?

The super speed is invaluable for kiting, it's very very good!

> @"Sytriel.9413" said:

> > @"Zhaid Zhem.6508" said:

> > > @"Zeesh.7286" said:

> > > Wait.. we still use scepter? Ummm what? *weeps in nostalgia over the lost FA burst while dying to similarly OP holo damage which hasn't been nerfed*

> >

> > http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PGgAs2WUXKvMA-zVhYBRDbIISxgyOCS4MCTC0yCwWHkwYD8WiYZD-w

> > You kill everything in <2sec.

> > Can use sigil of Cleansing over Celerity, mostly if you roam alone; Arcane precision to have +15% precision a bit longer but less sustain, etc etc.

> > Rune of speed, or Zephyrite are also very nice but you lose a lot of DPS, so it can hurt badly the burst. Or whatever you want. (Eagle, Rage, Air, ogre, etc)

> > And you take 3 defensive/breakstun utility skills : arcane shield, armor of earth, ToF, signet of air, flash, etc. The healing skill you want, the elite skill you want.

> >

> > Fresh air is not dead in WvW, but you need to choose your enemies and the field very carefully, to avoid the newcomers and backstabs, because everything can kill you too in 2sec if you have on CD arcane shield, flash ...

> > If you want to brawl alone versus 10 players it's defenitly not the weapon not the build you want.

>

> Why trait One with Air? Wouldn't Ferocious Winds be a better option here? One of the key points of FA builds is to stay in Air as much as possible so One with Air seems redundant. Or am I missing something from your build?

Because you don't camp Air.

Fresh air recharge Air attunement + give a ferocity buff for 5sec when attuning to Air. So you do stuff with others attunements, then frequently swap to Air.

> @"Zhaid Zhem.6508" said:

> > @"Sytriel.9413" said:

> > > @"Zhaid Zhem.6508" said:

> > > > @"Zeesh.7286" said:

> > > > Wait.. we still use scepter? Ummm what? *weeps in nostalgia over the lost FA burst while dying to similarly OP holo damage which hasn't been nerfed*

> > >

> > > http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PGgAs2WUXKvMA-zVhYBRDbIISxgyOCS4MCTC0yCwWHkwYD8WiYZD-w

> > > You kill everything in <2sec.

> > > Can use sigil of Cleansing over Celerity, mostly if you roam alone; Arcane precision to have +15% precision a bit longer but less sustain, etc etc.

> > > Rune of speed, or Zephyrite are also very nice but you lose a lot of DPS, so it can hurt badly the burst. Or whatever you want. (Eagle, Rage, Air, ogre, etc)

> > > And you take 3 defensive/breakstun utility skills : arcane shield, armor of earth, ToF, signet of air, flash, etc. The healing skill you want, the elite skill you want.

> > >

> > > Fresh air is not dead in WvW, but you need to choose your enemies and the field very carefully, to avoid the newcomers and backstabs, because everything can kill you too in 2sec if you have on CD arcane shield, flash ...

> > > If you want to brawl alone versus 10 players it's defenitly not the weapon not the build you want.

> >

> > Why trait One with Air? Wouldn't Ferocious Winds be a better option here? One of the key points of FA builds is to stay in Air as much as possible so One with Air seems redundant. Or am I missing something from your build?

>

> Because you don't camp Air.

> Fresh air recharge Air attunement + give a ferocity buff for 5sec when attuning to Air. So you do stuff with others attunements, then frequently swap to Air.

So the rotation is basically air/air -> fire/air ->air/fire -> air/air ->????

seems kind of bad when scepter skills on ele are really bad except for air skills

> @"skunkstank.6128" said:

> > > @"Sytriel.9413" said:

> > > > @"Zhaid Zhem.6508" said:

> > > > > @"Zeesh.7286" said:

> > > > > Wait.. we still use scepter? Ummm what? *weeps in nostalgia over the lost FA burst while dying to similarly OP holo damage which hasn't been nerfed*

> > > >

> > > > http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PGgAs2WUXKvMA-zVhYBRDbIISxgyOCS4MCTC0yCwWHkwYD8WiYZD-w

> > > > You kill everything in <2sec.

> > > > Can use sigil of Cleansing over Celerity, mostly if you roam alone; Arcane precision to have +15% precision a bit longer but less sustain, etc etc.

> > > > Rune of speed, or Zephyrite are also very nice but you lose a lot of DPS, so it can hurt badly the burst. Or whatever you want. (Eagle, Rage, Air, ogre, etc)

> > > > And you take 3 defensive/breakstun utility skills : arcane shield, armor of earth, ToF, signet of air, flash, etc. The healing skill you want, the elite skill you want.

> > > >

> > > > Fresh air is not dead in WvW, but you need to choose your enemies and the field very carefully, to avoid the newcomers and backstabs, because everything can kill you too in 2sec if you have on CD arcane shield, flash ...

> > > > If you want to brawl alone versus 10 players it's defenitly not the weapon not the build you want.

> > >

> > > Why trait One with Air? Wouldn't Ferocious Winds be a better option here? One of the key points of FA builds is to stay in Air as much as possible so One with Air seems redundant. Or am I missing something from your build?

> >

> > Because you don't camp Air.

> > Fresh air recharge Air attunement + give a ferocity buff for 5sec when attuning to Air. So you do stuff with others attunements, then frequently swap to Air.

>

> So the rotation is basically air/air -> fire/air ->air/fire -> air/air ->????

> seems kind of bad when scepter skills on ele are really bad except for air skills

You have a lot of combos. But they are not all easy to place.

Simple ;

Earth/Air #5+ #3 + Air + Air + #2 (you can also use GoEP for this one)

Fire/air #3+ air + air + #2.

Or Air/fire #5+#5 + #3 + Air+ #2

Fire/earth or Earth/fire #3 + Air + #3 + Air + #2

Etc, all others dual attacks have lower DPS/burst or need to target the ground but are useful for sustain (evades, chill, stab ...)

Otherwise the mega combo.

Earth/air #5 + #3 + Swap Fire/earth while casting + #2 + #3 + Swap air/fire while casting + #3 + Air while casting + #2 #3. It needs some habits to swap attunement while casting particular skills (and so have Air Available), don't interrupt some others, and don't double swap to air too fast and miss the air/fire.

Quickness is also close to mandatory, or people have time to breaskstun and dodge Dragon's tooth etc.

You also need to know which skills you need to cast in a cone in front of you, and the skills that don't need to face the enemie (the trait in air, air #2 #3 for example, but also dual water/earth, Comet, etc) and so allow you to run in the opposite direction with superspeed while you finish your combo, or to blind/chill/CC rather than face and get hurt.

> > @"Zeesh.7286" said:

> > Wait.. we still use scepter? Ummm what? *weeps in nostalgia over the lost FA burst while dying to similarly OP holo damage which hasn't been nerfed*

>

> http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PGgAs2WUXKvMA-zVhYBRDbIISxgyOCS4MCTC0yCwWHkwYD8WiYZD-w

> You kill everything in <2sec.

> Can use sigil of Cleansing over Celerity, mostly if you roam alone; Arcane precision to have +15% precision a bit longer but less sustain, etc etc.

> Rune of speed, or Zephyrite are also very nice but you lose a lot of DPS, so it can hurt badly the burst. Or whatever you want. (Eagle, Rage, Air, ogre, etc)

> And you take 3 defensive/breakstun utility skills : arcane shield, armor of earth, ToF, signet of air, flash, etc. The healing skill you want, the elite skill you want.

>

> Fresh air is not dead in WvW, but you need to choose your enemies and the field very carefully, to avoid the newcomers and backstabs, because everything can kill you too in 2sec if you have on CD arcane shield, flash ...

> If you want to brawl alone versus 10 players it's defenitly not the weapon not the build you want.

I agree I sometimes run a freshair build in wvw but I never run it solo. I'm not that good with it like some of the people who made the make roaming great again videos. I was originally crying about the nerf in Spvp. The damage nerf in Spvp was insane! Even now a sic em soulbeast with its nerfed damage does more than a fresh air weaver with the nerfs on their lb2 burst and it has more sustain. A holo can hit you harder by timing grenades with explosive entrance.. like.. why anet? why only fresh air...

> @"Zeesh.7286" said:

> > > @"Zeesh.7286" said:

> > > Wait.. we still use scepter? Ummm what? *weeps in nostalgia over the lost FA burst while dying to similarly OP holo damage which hasn't been nerfed*

> >

> > http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PGgAs2WUXKvMA-zVhYBRDbIISxgyOCS4MCTC0yCwWHkwYD8WiYZD-w

> > You kill everything in <2sec.

> > Can use sigil of Cleansing over Celerity, mostly if you roam alone; Arcane precision to have +15% precision a bit longer but less sustain, etc etc.

> > Rune of speed, or Zephyrite are also very nice but you lose a lot of DPS, so it can hurt badly the burst. Or whatever you want. (Eagle, Rage, Air, ogre, etc)

> > And you take 3 defensive/breakstun utility skills : arcane shield, armor of earth, ToF, signet of air, flash, etc. The healing skill you want, the elite skill you want.

> >

> > Fresh air is not dead in WvW, but you need to choose your enemies and the field very carefully, to avoid the newcomers and backstabs, because everything can kill you too in 2sec if you have on CD arcane shield, flash ...

> > If you want to brawl alone versus 10 players it's defenitly not the weapon not the build you want.

>

> I agree I sometimes run a freshair build in wvw but I never run it solo. I'm not that good with it like some of the people who made the make roaming great again videos. I was originally crying about the nerf in Spvp. The damage nerf in Spvp was insane! Even now a sic em soulbeast with its nerfed damage does more than a fresh air weaver with the nerfs on their lb2 burst and it has more sustain. A holo can hit you harder by timing grenades with explosive entrance.. like.. why anet? why only fresh air...

I rarely play fresh air. I play mostly weaver d/d Fire/arcane or water/arcane.

Sometimes when I've got OS by one without any possibility to counter, I'm like "REVENGE" so I come back to him with my fresh air, but then I lose more more fights because there are always newcomers, or group of 2 or 3, or some one who hit me first, then I have a big fat disadvantage in these cases. Plus there are more better fresh-air than me, also because somes play in group, so with support (heal, stab, mights etc) and they can play more glass; and I'm not masochist enought to train more.

While with my mesmer, chrono, mirage or core. I have no struggle to survive, kill or flee; and I kill people as fast as fresh-air. Calculation is quickly made.

> @"Helicity.3416" said:

> > @"MyPuppy.8970" said:

> > > @"Shiyo.3578" said:

> > > It's low because the devs want you to play weaver to deal damage as ele. trading all sustain and survival for damage.

> > >

> > > Meanwhile holosmith does more damage while having insane survival, stealth. super speed, and insane self healing :)

> >

> > To be fair, weaver damage isn't really there anymore...

>

> I wouldn't say that, FA weaver has pretty competitive damage output still, but the trade-off is that sometimes you're just going to get wrecked (mostly by thieves).

>

> Such is life.

>

> https://imgur.com/ASZD1Wn

I just want to comment about how that wasn't really that much damage, although it was a decent burst, for sure. The glassy thief was already ~70% health, had condis ticking on him, fell to about 60% and then you did maybe a 6k-7k burst. The right D/D build will give you much better damage with fresh air (6k-7k plasma bursts and even higher dragons breath, + enough sustain to roam/1vX as well) if anyone is interested, although I realize this is still a lesser-known fact for many ele players and I'll probably receive some resistance regarding that. Also, scepter's damage availability/range is nice, so I'm not saying give up entirely on scepter, some players manage to make it work somehow but I've yet to figure it out I guess.

edit: looks like there is some D/D discussion going on, so, I'll just leave this here ..

[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLA45pCjgFE](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLA45pCjgFE)

> @"solemn.9608" said:

> > @"Helicity.3416" said:

> > > @"MyPuppy.8970" said:

> > > > @"Shiyo.3578" said:

> > > > It's low because the devs want you to play weaver to deal damage as ele. trading all sustain and survival for damage.

> > > >

> > > > Meanwhile holosmith does more damage while having insane survival, stealth. super speed, and insane self healing :)

> > >

> > > To be fair, weaver damage isn't really there anymore...

> >

> > I wouldn't say that, FA weaver has pretty competitive damage output still, but the trade-off is that sometimes you're just going to get wrecked (mostly by thieves).

> >

> > Such is life.

> >

> > https://imgur.com/ASZD1Wn

>

> I just want to comment about how that wasn't really that much damage, although it was a decent burst, for sure. The glassy thief was already ~70% health, had condis ticking on him, fell to about 60% and then you did maybe a 6k-7k burst. The right D/D build will give you much better damage with fresh air (6k-7k plasma bursts and even higher dragons breath, + enough sustain to roam/1vX as well) if anyone is interested, although I realize this is still a lesser-known fact for many ele players and I'll probably receive some resistance regarding that. Also, scepter's damage availability/range is nice, so I'm not saying give up entirely on scepter, some players manage to make it work somehow but I've yet to figure it out I guess.

>

> edit: looks like there is some D/D discussion going on, so, I'll just leave this here ..

> [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLA45pCjgFE](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLA45pCjgFE)

I was watching your D/D barrier video yesterday, looked really fun!

I imagine you get shit on by Deadeyes a lot tho... But unfortunately that's Ele right now, big tradeoffs in every build :(

I don't really like the bonus from the weaver runes. I mean, yes the barrier on stance is cool and much better than the leap thing totally unplyable with weaver (still it's ~450, neither broken) but the burning and chill duration ??? Why, anet ? :anguished:

The previous bonus were better IMO, it gave +15 condi duration, it's not a lot more than 10% but it was a bit better for Weakness too, vulnerability ... they could have improved it with +20% CD or add +10% BD :anguished:

But I'll give a try, I have an useless berserker/assassin armor since a while on my PvE elem, lol.

> I don't really like the bonus from the weaver runes. I mean, yes the barrier on stance is cool and much better than the leap thing totally unplyable with weaver (still it's ~450, neither broken) but the burning and chill duration ??? Why, anet ? :anguished:

> The previous bonus were better IMO, it gave +15 condi duration, it's not a lot more than 10% but it was a bit better for Weakness too, vulnerability ... they could have improved it with +20% CD or add +10% BD :anguished:

>

> But I'll give a try, I have an useless berserker/assassin armor since a while on my PvE elem, lol.

Lol agreed, but, the burn duration is pretty nice since fire 2 on dagger is so strong (plus any other sources of burn, there are several), and you have air-water dual + primordial stance in water for chill, so that's not entirely useless. Chill is very powerful but yeah, I really wish it was something other than chill duration as well lol

> @"Helicity.3416" said:

> I was watching your D/D barrier video yesterday, looked really fun!

>

> I imagine you get kitten on by Deadeyes a lot tho... But unfortunately that's Ele right now, big tradeoffs in every build :(

I love playing it, it's very fun, but yeah rifle deadeyes are extremely challenging at times. Other thief builds are mostly a walk in the park. Rifle deadeyes, I just can't get em.

> @"solemn.9608" said:

> I love playing it, it's very fun, but yeah rifle deadeyes are extremely challenging at times. Other thief builds are mostly a walk in the park. Rifle deadeyes, I just can't get em.

I play a lot of DE, and the thing that gets people killed is mostly Binding Shadow, you _can_ see the shadowy red tendrils when it's being used on you, and I think you can hear it, but it's very very hard in a fight.

They should definitely add a debuff icon that appears when someone starts channeling the cast on you (the ability is "on" you for a second before it actually does something) so you at least have a _chance _to dodge it in an informed manner.

> @"JohnWater.5760" said:

> One of the best build mainly Air, use scepter and has a good damage.

> Otherwise, only fire can do damage.

You'd be surprised how much more damage you can get from sword or even condi builds (pve). Scepter really only shines on big hitboxes or as a safety tool.

It's pretty bad without overloads/conjured weapons/weaver dual skills, depending on where you use it.