New skin option suggestion! Weapon effects

jokke.6239

So I've been playing path of exile a lot lately.

One thing that game has that I would love to see in Guild Wars 2 is weapon effects.

It's a effect that is added on top of the current weapon. And I would think this would be much easier than adding a feature to dye weapons, and in my opinion a even more interresting feature, even though I would love to be able to dye weapons as well.

The cool thing about it is how many cool combinations you can do (by combinations I mean the current effect already on the weapon + weapon effect), and it also makes weapons with no effect much more interresting, since if it has a cool shape it can suddenly become a much more badass looking weapon. It will also create much more variety in the weapons you see out in the world.

The negatives .. Some combinations will look horrible. But infusion stacking is already a thing lol

The example listed below is with a weapon that already has an effect. Skip to 1:10

[

> @"Josiah.2967" said:

> The same weapon set I always ask for. Starlight Weapon set with trail effect.

Cant we just have an actual star effect?

Everyone just run around as shining balls of light. Fashion wars resolved.

But then again it wouldnt surprise me if people then started complaining that it's so bright so people cant see their corona.

i'd rather have the ability to dye weapons (either all or just upcoming ones)

i wouldn't mind having weapon effects you can attach to regular weapons though...as long as they are not as expensive as Path of Exile's store lol

but yeah as said on this comment, it's already on legendaries

> @"lokh.2695" said:

> Have you heard about Legendary Weapons?

legs would lose one of the things that make them unique/special compared to most weapons (there are some gemstore stuff with subtle effects but these number a few)

> @"Astyrah.4015" said:

> i'd rather have the ability to dye weapons (either all or just upcoming ones)

>

> i wouldn't mind having weapon effects you can attach to regular weapons though...as long as they are not as expensive as Path of Exile's store lol

>

>

> _____________________

>

> but yeah as said on this comment, it's already on legendaries

> > @"lokh.2695" said:

> > Have you heard about Legendary Weapons?

>

> legs would lose one of the things that make them unique/special compared to most weapons (there are some gemstore stuff with subtle effects but these number a few)

There's plenty of weapons that have effects that aren't legendaries, and not even only black lion weapon skins.

Legendary weapon still have footprints, character aura, alternative skill animations, and (subjective) the best looking effects

I'd love it.

If it's just the weapon itself, I can't see any reason why not. It'd be nice to choose weapon effects to match your characters style.

If it's the actual projectile skills coming from the weapon, I can see some people not wanting it especially in PvP but even then there's already weapons that change those skill effects like all the legendaries and most recently the boneskinner weapons. so again, I don't see a reason as to why not.

The biggest problem is that PoE was designed to support these and other things as part of its business model. On the other hand GW2 is just suffering from neglect. Btw PoE2 is gettin dyeable weapons on top of this :p

> @"Astyrah.4015" said:

> i'd rather have the ability to dye weapons (either all or just upcoming ones)

>

> i wouldn't mind having weapon effects you can attach to regular weapons though...as long as they are not as expensive as Path of Exile's store lol

Prices are hard to compare when you compare how things work.

- PoE lets you move these around freely

- GW2 would require transmutation charges

- PoE, Each copy can only be applied to one thing at a time but switching between characters is pretty easy

- GW2, can be applied to as many things at once as you want

The weapon effect prices also have quite the range. From $1.50 all the way to $28.

GGG also has an unusual stance on price changes. There are items in the store from the early days which are very much overpriced and GGG agrees it is overpriced but they have left the prices unchanged because the people who bought at the previous price would be upset that the items are not available for much less(these sort of complaints have shown up on the GW2 forums more than a few times ...). I also assume all prices are set with the daily deal discount in mind.

> @"Khisanth.2948" said:

> The biggest problem is that PoE was designed to support these and other things as part of its business model. On the other hand GW2 is just suffering from neglect. Btw PoE2 is gettin dyeable weapons on top of this :p

yeah im waiting for PoE2, wish we could get dyeable weapons here in gw2 as well.

> @"Khisanth.2948" said:

>

> > @"Astyrah.4015" said:

> > i'd rather have the ability to dye weapons (either all or just upcoming ones)

> >

> > i wouldn't mind having weapon effects you can attach to regular weapons though...as long as they are not as expensive as Path of Exile's store lol

>

> Prices are hard to compare when you compare how things work.

> - PoE lets you move these around freely

> - GW2 would require transmutation charges

> - PoE, Each copy can only be applied to one thing at a time but switching between characters is pretty easy

> - GW2, can be applied to as many things at once as you want

>

> The weapon effect prices also have quite the range. From $1.50 all the way to $28.

> GGG also has an unusual stance on price changes. There are items in the store from the early days which are very much overpriced and GGG agrees it is overpriced but they have left the prices unchanged because the people who bought at the previous price would be upset that the items are not available for much less(these sort of complaints have shown up on the GW2 forums more than a few times ...). I also assume all prices are set with the daily deal discount in mind.

yeah they do have some stuff that's reasonably priced just that some are priced way too high for what i think is reasonable for cosmetic microtransactions. i mean, based on what you provided... 28 dollars (for a weapon effect) is almost/close to what you'd pay for, for PoF (+HoT) deluxe edition with discounts... a lot of the PoE mtx just aren't for me, though i did buy a lot of QoL stuff from them like the premium, currency & large stash tabs, some cheap pets, etc. etc.

EDIT: yeah pof is 33 dollars on dlgamer as of this writing: https://www.dlgamer.com/us/games/buy-guild-wars-2-path-of-fire-deluxe-43837

> @"jokke.6239" said:

> There's plenty of weapons that have effects that aren't legendaries, and not even only black lion weapon skins.

> Legendary weapon still have footprints, character aura, alternative skill animations, and (subjective) the best looking effects

i mean i dont mind if we get weapon effect customisation for weapons... if they ever release a few i'd probably even buy the ones i like, if there are any... but yeah it's a "if they did, " ... it's not something i really want in the game right now

> @"Astyrah.4015" said:

> > @"Khisanth.2948" said:

> > The biggest problem is that PoE was designed to support these and other things as part of its business model. On the other hand GW2 is just suffering from neglect. Btw PoE2 is gettin dyeable weapons on top of this :p

>

> yeah im waiting for PoE2, wish we could get dyeable weapons here in gw2 as well.

>

> > @"Khisanth.2948" said:

> >

> > > @"Astyrah.4015" said:

> > > i'd rather have the ability to dye weapons (either all or just upcoming ones)

> > >

> > > i wouldn't mind having weapon effects you can attach to regular weapons though...as long as they are not as expensive as Path of Exile's store lol

> >

> > Prices are hard to compare when you compare how things work.

> > - PoE lets you move these around freely

> > - GW2 would require transmutation charges

> > - PoE, Each copy can only be applied to one thing at a time but switching between characters is pretty easy

> > - GW2, can be applied to as many things at once as you want

> >

> > The weapon effect prices also have quite the range. From $1.50 all the way to $28.

> > GGG also has an unusual stance on price changes. There are items in the store from the early days which are very much overpriced and GGG agrees it is overpriced but they have left the prices unchanged because the people who bought at the previous price would be upset that the items are not available for much less(these sort of complaints have shown up on the GW2 forums more than a few times ...). I also assume all prices are set with the daily deal discount in mind.

>

> yeah they do have some stuff that's reasonably priced just that some are priced way too high for what i think is reasonable for cosmetic microtransactions. i mean, based on what you provided... 28 dollars (for a weapon effect) is almost/close to what you'd pay for, for PoF (+HoT) deluxe edition with discounts... a lot of the PoE mtx just aren't for me, though i did buy a lot of QoL stuff from them like the premium, currency & large stash tabs, some cheap pets, etc. etc.

>

> EDIT: yeah pof is 33 dollars on dlgamer as of this writing: https://www.dlgamer.com/us/games/buy-guild-wars-2-path-of-fire-deluxe-43837

POE cosmetics are overpriced.

But if you buy supporter packs it's not nearly as terrible

For 60$ you get a full armor set + a combination of weapon, weapon effect, pet, back skin (wings/cape) etc + 55$ worth of store currency.

Buying store currency by itself is not worth it one bit.

Dyeable weapons in POE2? Ooohh, that's nice :D

Edit: But I guess i'm going off topic here, sry about that

> @"Astyrah.4015" said:

> yeah they do have some stuff that's reasonably priced just that some are priced way too high for what i think is reasonable for cosmetic microtransactions. i mean, based on what you provided... 28 dollars (for a weapon effect) is almost/close to what you'd pay for, for PoF (+HoT) deluxe edition with discounts... a lot of the PoE mtx just aren't for me, though i did buy a lot of QoL stuff from them like the premium, currency & large stash tabs, some cheap pets, etc. etc.

This gets a bit complicated as well with how their supporter pack prices work. All the MTX in the supporter packs cost $5 since you still get a portion of the price as points(gems) which means they cost less and less as you go up the tiers until they become basically free since the points you get becomes equal to the price of the pack. On the other hand those higher tier packs are quite hefty(starting at $160). Then again that is also where the packs starts to include physical items.

> @"jokke.6239" said:

> > > @"Khisanth.2948" said:

> > > The biggest problem is that PoE was designed to support these and other things as part of its business model. On the other hand GW2 is just suffering from neglect. Btw PoE2 is gettin dyeable weapons on top of this :p

> >

> > yeah im waiting for PoE2, wish we could get dyeable weapons here in gw2 as well.

> >

> > > @"Khisanth.2948" said:

> > >

> > > > @"Astyrah.4015" said:

> > > > i'd rather have the ability to dye weapons (either all or just upcoming ones)

> > > >

> > > > i wouldn't mind having weapon effects you can attach to regular weapons though...as long as they are not as expensive as Path of Exile's store lol

> > >

> > > Prices are hard to compare when you compare how things work.

> > > - PoE lets you move these around freely

> > > - GW2 would require transmutation charges

> > > - PoE, Each copy can only be applied to one thing at a time but switching between characters is pretty easy

> > > - GW2, can be applied to as many things at once as you want

> > >

> > > The weapon effect prices also have quite the range. From $1.50 all the way to $28.

> > > GGG also has an unusual stance on price changes. There are items in the store from the early days which are very much overpriced and GGG agrees it is overpriced but they have left the prices unchanged because the people who bought at the previous price would be upset that the items are not available for much less(these sort of complaints have shown up on the GW2 forums more than a few times ...). I also assume all prices are set with the daily deal discount in mind.

> >

> > yeah they do have some stuff that's reasonably priced just that some are priced way too high for what i think is reasonable for cosmetic microtransactions. i mean, based on what you provided... 28 dollars (for a weapon effect) is almost/close to what you'd pay for, for PoF (+HoT) deluxe edition with discounts... a lot of the PoE mtx just aren't for me, though i did buy a lot of QoL stuff from them like the premium, currency & large stash tabs, some cheap pets, etc. etc.

> >

> > EDIT: yeah pof is 33 dollars on dlgamer as of this writing: https://www.dlgamer.com/us/games/buy-guild-wars-2-path-of-fire-deluxe-43837

>

> POE cosmetics are overpriced.

> But if you buy supporter packs it's not nearly as terrible

> For 60$ you get a full armor set + a combination of weapon, weapon effect, pet, back skin (wings/cape) etc + 55$ worth of store currency.

> Buying store currency by itself is not worth it one bit.

>

> Dyeable weapons in POE2? Ooohh, that's nice :D

>

> Edit: But I guess i'm going off topic here, sry about that

Just went and double checked and it turns out I misrememberd. :(

Well probably, since only armor was mentioned and not weapons. On the other hand maybe GGG has already seen all the GW2 players requesting dyeable weapons and decided to ask that. We do know that GGG is aware of some stuff that is going on in GW2. When Chris was asked how they decide on the color of alternate skill effects he jokingly said they just take a look at which is the most expensive dye on the GW2 TP :p

> @"Khisanth.2948" said:

> > yeah they do have some stuff that's reasonably priced just that some are priced way too high for what i think is reasonable for cosmetic microtransactions. i mean, based on what you provided... 28 dollars (for a weapon effect) is almost/close to what you'd pay for, for PoF (+HoT) deluxe edition with discounts... a lot of the PoE mtx just aren't for me, though i did buy a lot of QoL stuff from them like the premium, currency & large stash tabs, some cheap pets, etc. etc.

>

> This gets a bit complicated as well with how their supporter pack prices work. All the MTX in the supporter packs cost $5 since you still get a portion of the price as points(gems) which means they cost less and less as you go up the tiers until they become basically free since the points you get becomes equal to the price of the pack. On the other hand those higher tier packs are quite hefty(starting at $160). Then again that is also where the packs starts to include physical items.

>

>

> > @"jokke.6239" said:

> > > @"Astyrah.4015" said:

> > > > @"Khisanth.2948" said:

> > > > The biggest problem is that PoE was designed to support these and other things as part of its business model. On the other hand GW2 is just suffering from neglect. Btw PoE2 is gettin dyeable weapons on top of this :p

> > >

> > > yeah im waiting for PoE2, wish we could get dyeable weapons here in gw2 as well.

> > >

> > > > @"Khisanth.2948" said:

> > > >

> > > > > @"Astyrah.4015" said:

> > > > > i'd rather have the ability to dye weapons (either all or just upcoming ones)

> > > > >

> > > > > i wouldn't mind having weapon effects you can attach to regular weapons though...as long as they are not as expensive as Path of Exile's store lol

> > > >

> > > > Prices are hard to compare when you compare how things work.

> > > > - PoE lets you move these around freely

> > > > - GW2 would require transmutation charges

> > > > - PoE, Each copy can only be applied to one thing at a time but switching between characters is pretty easy

> > > > - GW2, can be applied to as many things at once as you want

> > > >

> > > > The weapon effect prices also have quite the range. From $1.50 all the way to $28.

> > > > GGG also has an unusual stance on price changes. There are items in the store from the early days which are very much overpriced and GGG agrees it is overpriced but they have left the prices unchanged because the people who bought at the previous price would be upset that the items are not available for much less(these sort of complaints have shown up on the GW2 forums more than a few times ...). I also assume all prices are set with the daily deal discount in mind.

> > >

> > > yeah they do have some stuff that's reasonably priced just that some are priced way too high for what i think is reasonable for cosmetic microtransactions. i mean, based on what you provided... 28 dollars (for a weapon effect) is almost/close to what you'd pay for, for PoF (+HoT) deluxe edition with discounts... a lot of the PoE mtx just aren't for me, though i did buy a lot of QoL stuff from them like the premium, currency & large stash tabs, some cheap pets, etc. etc.

> > >

> > > EDIT: yeah pof is 33 dollars on dlgamer as of this writing: https://www.dlgamer.com/us/games/buy-guild-wars-2-path-of-fire-deluxe-43837

> >

> > POE cosmetics are overpriced.

> > But if you buy supporter packs it's not nearly as terrible

> > For 60$ you get a full armor set + a combination of weapon, weapon effect, pet, back skin (wings/cape) etc + 55$ worth of store currency.

> > Buying store currency by itself is not worth it one bit.

> >

> > Dyeable weapons in POE2? Ooohh, that's nice :D

> >

> > Edit: But I guess i'm going off topic here, sry about that

>

> Just went and double checked and it turns out I misrememberd. :(

> Well probably, since only armor was mentioned and not weapons. On the other hand maybe GGG has already seen all the GW2 players requesting dyeable weapons and decided to ask that. We do know that GGG is aware of some stuff that is going on in GW2. When Chris was asked how they decide on the color of alternate skill effects he jokingly said they just take a look at which is the most expensive dye on the GW2 TP :p

>

Yes.

They also sell footprints. Maybe i'm wrong, but I don't remember anyone doing this before Guild Wars 2?

They also recently released some weapon or weapon effect that were pretty much almost identical to Eternity weapon trail.

> @"jokke.6239" said:

> So I've been playing path of exile a lot lately.

> One thing that game has that I would love to see in Guild Wars 2 is weapon effects.

> It's a effect that is added on top of the current weapon. And I would think this would be much easier than adding a feature to dye weapons, and in my opinion a even more interresting feature, even though I would love to be able to dye weapons as well.

> The cool thing about it is how many cool combinations you can do (by combinations I mean the current effect already on the weapon + weapon effect), and it also makes weapons with no effect much more interresting, since if it has a cool shape it can suddenly become a much more kitten looking weapon. It will also create much more variety in the weapons you see out in the world.

>

> The negatives .. Some combinations will look horrible. But infusion stacking is already a thing lol

>

> The example listed below is with a weapon that already has an effect. Skip to 1:10

> [

>

>

yea, hard no this would 100% trivialize all legendary weapons, it's a nice idea for that game but is not for this one.

You can have whatever you want so long as I get my option to turn off all the shininess. :D

In WvW I play with "standard enemy/friendly models" + lowest setting for character model quality, which is better than the game looking like a disco, but still leaves a lot to be wished, because it makes the characters look like from a very unimaginative Nintendo 64 game. Even NPCs look prettier than characters.

> @"Taylan.2187" said:

> You can have whatever you want so long as I get my option to turn off all the shininess. :D

>

> In WvW I play with "standard enemy/friendly models" + lowest setting for character model quality, which is better than the game looking like a disco, but still leaves a lot to be wished, because it makes the characters look like from a very unimaginative Nintendo 64 game. Even NPCs look prettier than characters.

That would be nice.

Would be even better if you could choose what to disable.

Like mounts and infusions. Those are the only two I would disable personally. Would kinda suck having to disable all efects at once