New Race idea...

Lyttle.9426

here i was gonna shitpost yet another "new race" thread, but you actually got a giggle out from me. so have your thumbs up :V

> @"BlackBullWings.2734" said:

> wow... unreal! My gosh... this is amazing! I feel incredibleeeee! YES YES YES YES I CAN WIN I FEEL GREAT. I. CAN. DO. THIS. UUUUUHHH!!!

now i kinda wish i had my personal nail/kami on my commander

The OP is so deadpan I can't tell if it's a joke...

> @"kharmin.7683" said:

> I want Oozes to be a new race. Think how cool they'd look on a mount!

This is a great idea since it gets around all of the problems associated with introducing a new race!

* No need to remake old armour skins: oozes absorb gear rather than wear it.

* No need for new voice acting: oozes just gurgle.

* No need for a new starter zone: oozes start in Metrica Province.

* No need for new Level 10-30 story: oozes are eligible for the Snaff Prize.

* No need to retcon any of the story: it's totally plausible that an ooze would be appointed commander of the Pact, defeat several Elder Dragons and one god, get invited to Queen Jennah's parties, etc.

As a bonus, there's a vast supply of lore-appropriate names! So your preferred name, 'Subject 88472', is taken? Try 'Subject 88473' instead.

I feel like this particular image is already pretty close to sylvari.

I think figuring out a way to consistently add new races to the game would be a great idea though. I doubt Largos stand a chance but I can definitely see Tengu/Grawl/Trolls/Kodan. I’d personally love an elephant humanoid at some point. I don’t really know why though. ?

Tengu I think are much more likely than people expect. We’ve had a Kodan tonic added, a largos wing backpack and outfit, and Tengu were originally a possibility in vanilla with potential content already having been developed. We’ve not had any combat tonics with Tengu and they’ve always remained JUST out of reach for the entirety of the game. It feels like it’s always been a possibility. The same people saying Tengu aren’t ever going to make it are probably the same people that said we would never get Cantha, but here we are!

It would be nice to see some more guild wars 1 mobs like mantids and naga though.

Hard pass on that for me. I'd prefer they more properly explore species we already know about, rather than invent a new one. I'm still salty that Icebrood Saga started out being a cool chance to explore more about the Norn than "hurdurr we big and drunk", but that quickly gave way to the lame Crecia/Rytlock family drama and some kind of Charr civil war that frankly that species requires and deserves.

So yeah. Gimme more on what we already have, and maybe expand to kodan/tengu/the folks we see around the world already. Not interested in anything else.

> @"Chyanne Waters.8719" said:

> WOW hate to say this but that being can never be part of GW2, because the race is taken by the Dragonball franchise. That is Piccollo he is Namekian in the dragonball universe. Work with races in GW2 not other games or franchises.

That's an easy fix....remove the pointed ears, give him insect like compound eyes and BAMM...new creation.

Still nope.

Want to find out why? Check out the forums search option to check out the bazillion new race threads from the past.

"But why so negative, don't you like invention and new things?"

Check out the many threads about it, somewhere I posted my answer.

"But a new race would bring so much t the game"

No it wouldn't. Check out the existing threads to find out why.

"But [random other game] has [whatever race you want to have], so GW2 should as well."

Other games have pinball or soccer in them, some have farming or driving a vehicle. Isn't it good that different games have different things?

"But insects."

Not everyone is into them. It's a question of personal taste.

"But it would make money."

No, it wouldn't. Check out the existing threads on how monetizing a new race would alienate players.

If they are gonna add another race, I'd rather it being a guild wars universe specific race, rather than something new coming out of nowhere, like Largos, Kodan, Tengu, Dwarves and all the others we get posts about all the time.

PS: I didn't write this to debate on the inclusion of any of the above races, find the other threads on the subject

A new race shouldn't just come out of nowhere. It should be based on Guild Wars lore.

Best candidates would be the Tengu, Skritt, or Free Awakened in my opinion. Two of those have long roots in Guild Wars, and the third is a very recent and fitting addition.

But some random sci-fi / fantasy image that has no lore behind it, has got to be last in line.

I don't care to have a new playable race. I'd rather see the ones we have fleshed out more. As it stands the race choice during character creation means absolutely nothing past lvl 10.

Tell you what: if the art team has time enough to seriously consider shoehorning another race into currently existing gear, I'd rather they took that time and resources to properly fix the Norn, Charr and Azura into them and rid us of the geometry clipping, texture stretching, appendages cutting mess most of it currently is should you have chosen anything but HUMAN at character creation.

> @"Tommo Chocolate.5870" said:

> * No need for new voice acting: oozes just gurgle.

I vote for oozes too! If their speech is unintelligible like the choya's... I would love to play through the whole storyline again just to listened to a round bouncy jelly ball blurbble and gurgle through every scene. And everyone mysteriously understands what is said telepathically.

Useless racial skill that no one will use: they can transform into a translucent ooze-form that mimics another race for x seconds, which confuses enemies around them.

> @"Udolpho.1209" said:

> > @"Tommo Chocolate.5870" said:

> > * No need for new voice acting: oozes just gurgle.

>

> I vote for oozes too! If their speech is unintelligible like the choya's... I would love to play through the whole storyline again just to listened to a round bouncy jelly ball blurbble and gurgle through every scene. And everyone mysteriously understands what is said telepathically.

>

> Useless racial skill that no one will use: they can transform into a translucent ooze-form that mimics another race for x seconds, which confuses enemies around them.

>

That'd be brilliant, I'd love an ooze commander. Also, if the lore was that you became an ooze after, let's say, an Inquest experiment then you could _technically_ be a member of any race! In a single move they would be making _all_ races playable! Kinda.

I'd love the dialogue too!

Commander, can I talk to you?

Blurp.

Yeah, I know, it's been pretty tough.

Bloop.

Thanks commander, it's great to know I can always count on you.

> @"BlackBullWings.2734" said:

> wow... unreal! My gosh... this is amazing! I feel incredibleeeee! YES YES YES YES I CAN WIN I FEEL GREAT. I. CAN. DO. THIS. UUUUUHHH!!!

"...What are you doing?"

Legitimately one of the best tweaks TFS made was to keep Nail and later Kami around.