Incentivizing multimode play

xan.8936

> @"mindcircus.1506" said:

> > @"kharmin.7683" said:

> > > @"mindcircus.1506" said:

> > > Reality is a spoiled "Open World PvE" playerbase will not accept any activity that has a fail condition and that they cannot be completely carried through.

> > That's a bit cynical, no? You assume this statement holds for every player who enjoys OWPvE? Perhaps in your experience, but let's not paint an entire community with such a broad brush.

> I could sit here and dispute you but...

> >I disagree. If Anet were to add more incentives to particular content, then in order for players to achieve them, they would have to play the content; otherwise, they would not be able to achieve those incentives. That's why I felt it would be forcing.

> You yourself play semantics over the word "forced" and just prove the entitled nature of the vast majority of OWPvE players better than I ever could.

Entitled? How? Please explain, because I really don't get it.

> @"kharmin.7683" said:

> > @"mindcircus.1506" said:

> > > @"kharmin.7683" said:

> > > > @"mindcircus.1506" said:

> > > > Reality is a spoiled "Open World PvE" playerbase will not accept any activity that has a fail condition and that they cannot be completely carried through.

> > > That's a bit cynical, no? You assume this statement holds for every player who enjoys OWPvE? Perhaps in your experience, but let's not paint an entire community with such a broad brush.

> > I could sit here and dispute you but...

> > >I disagree. If Anet were to add more incentives to particular content, then in order for players to achieve them, they would have to play the content; otherwise, they would not be able to achieve those incentives. That's why I felt it would be forcing.

> > You yourself play semantics over the word "forced" and just prove the entitled nature of the vast majority of OWPvE players better than I ever could.

>

> Entitled? How? Please explain, because I really don't get it.

Nothing in what you said indicated a sense of entitlement. This is just another example of someone throwing around a catchphrase without really understanding it.

> @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > > @"kharmin.7683" said:

> > > > > @"mindcircus.1506" said:

> > > > > Reality is a spoiled "Open World PvE" playerbase will not accept any activity that has a fail condition and that they cannot be completely carried through.

> > > > That's a bit cynical, no? You assume this statement holds for every player who enjoys OWPvE? Perhaps in your experience, but let's not paint an entire community with such a broad brush.

> > > I could sit here and dispute you but...

> > > >I disagree. If Anet were to add more incentives to particular content, then in order for players to achieve them, they would have to play the content; otherwise, they would not be able to achieve those incentives. That's why I felt it would be forcing.

> > > You yourself play semantics over the word "forced" and just prove the entitled nature of the vast majority of OWPvE players better than I ever could.

> >

> > Entitled? How? Please explain, because I really don't get it.

>

> Nothing in what you said indicated a sense of entitlement. This is just another example of someone throwing around a catchphrase without really understanding it.

Like the word ‘forced’. ?

> @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > > > Reality is a spoiled "Open World PvE" playerbase will not accept any activity that has a fail condition and that they cannot be completely carried through.

> > > > That's a bit cynical, no? You assume this statement holds for every player who enjoys OWPvE? Perhaps in your experience, but let's not paint an entire community with such a broad brush.

> > > I could sit here and dispute you but...

> > > >I disagree. If Anet were to add more incentives to particular content, then in order for players to achieve them, they would have to play the content; otherwise, they would not be able to achieve those incentives. That's why I felt it would be forcing.

> > > You yourself play semantics over the word "forced" and just prove the entitled nature of the vast majority of OWPvE players better than I ever could.

> >

> > Entitled? How? Please explain, because I really don't get it.

>

> Nothing in what you said indicated a sense of entitlement. This is just another example of someone throwing around a catchphrase without really understanding it.

Such an ironic statement.

> @"Strider Pj.2193" said:

> > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > @"kharmin.7683" said:

> > > > @"mindcircus.1506" said:

> > > > > @"kharmin.7683" said:

> > > > > > @"mindcircus.1506" said:

> > > > > > Reality is a spoiled "Open World PvE" playerbase will not accept any activity that has a fail condition and that they cannot be completely carried through.

> > > > > That's a bit cynical, no? You assume this statement holds for every player who enjoys OWPvE? Perhaps in your experience, but let's not paint an entire community with such a broad brush.

> > > > I could sit here and dispute you but...

> > > > >I disagree. If Anet were to add more incentives to particular content, then in order for players to achieve them, they would have to play the content; otherwise, they would not be able to achieve those incentives. That's why I felt it would be forcing.

> > > > You yourself play semantics over the word "forced" and just prove the entitled nature of the vast majority of OWPvE players better than I ever could.

> > >

> > > Entitled? How? Please explain, because I really don't get it.

> >

> > Nothing in what you said indicated a sense of entitlement. This is just another example of someone throwing around a catchphrase without really understanding it.

>

> Like the word ‘forced’. ?

I don't know what else to call it when the OP wants Anet to add "incentives" for content with which players aren't engaging enough for the OP. If players want the additional "incentive", they would then be forced to do the content.

I can't make this point any more clear. If some can't wrap their mind around it, then I can't do anything more.

> @"xan.8936" said:

> I personally like to get the most from my money and experience everything in whatever i do.

Me too. Since playing PvP would make my experience worse, why would i ever want to participate in that? Why do you people assume that people who avoid PvP have never tried it? I know exactly why i despise it, no more testing is required.

> @"kharmin.7683" said:

> > @"Strider Pj.2193" said:

> > > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > > > > @"kharmin.7683" said:

> > > > > > > @"mindcircus.1506" said:

> > > > > > > Reality is a spoiled "Open World PvE" playerbase will not accept any activity that has a fail condition and that they cannot be completely carried through.

> > > > > > That's a bit cynical, no? You assume this statement holds for every player who enjoys OWPvE? Perhaps in your experience, but let's not paint an entire community with such a broad brush.

> > > > > I could sit here and dispute you but...

> > > > > >I disagree. If Anet were to add more incentives to particular content, then in order for players to achieve them, they would have to play the content; otherwise, they would not be able to achieve those incentives. That's why I felt it would be forcing.

> > > > > You yourself play semantics over the word "forced" and just prove the entitled nature of the vast majority of OWPvE players better than I ever could.

> > > >

> > > > Entitled? How? Please explain, because I really don't get it.

> > >

> > > Nothing in what you said indicated a sense of entitlement. This is just another example of someone throwing around a catchphrase without really understanding it.

> >

> > Like the word ‘forced’. ?

>

> I don't know what else to call it when the OP wants Anet to add "incentives" for content with which players aren't engaging enough for the OP. If players want the additional "incentive", they would then be forced to do the content.

>

> I can't make this point any more clear. If some can't wrap their mind around it, then I can't do anything more.

I don't get this mentality. You are not being forced, you are making a choice.

If you don't want to do the content, don't do it.

If you choose to do something even though you don't like it, you are still making a choice, regardless of the reason.

> @"kharmin.7683" said:

> > > > > > > Reality is a spoiled "Open World PvE" playerbase will not accept any activity that has a fail condition and that they cannot be completely carried through.

> > > > > > That's a bit cynical, no? You assume this statement holds for every player who enjoys OWPvE? Perhaps in your experience, but let's not paint an entire community with such a broad brush.

> > > > > >I disagree. If Anet were to add more incentives to particular content, then in order for players to achieve them, they would have to play the content; otherwise, they would not be able to achieve those incentives. That's why I felt it would be forcing.

> > > > > You yourself play semantics over the word "forced" and just prove the entitled nature of the vast majority of OWPvE players better than I ever could.

> > > >

> > >

> > > Nothing in what you said indicated a sense of entitlement. This is just another example of someone throwing around a catchphrase without really understanding it.

> >

>

> I don't know what else to call it when the OP wants Anet to add "incentives" for content with which players aren't engaging enough for the OP. If players want the additional "incentive", they would then be forced to do the content.

>

> I can't make this point any more clear. If some can't wrap their mind around it, then I can't do anything more.

I would use required or requirement rather than forced, but the point was clear even with your choice.

> @"kharmin.7683" said:

> > > >

> > >

> >

>

>

And yet, you quoted me but removed my part about actually providing incentives, vs requirements. It would appear that maybe others have a problem wrapping their head around things as well?

The whole point of my post was to provide MULTIPLE ways to obtain the same things. But make it take longer in various modes where it isn’t currently offered. But yeah, I guess that would force you to do it. Smh.

> To the OP: I think you used the right term at the start: **incentivize**

>

> That doesn’t necessarily mean ‘force’ as some others have pointed out.

I disagree. Please see my earlier posts on why.

> Making rewards that require all modes would be great.

>

> **However** provide alternatives that may take longer and more effort in another mode.

>

> They kind of did that with legendary armor. Raid armor can take the shortest time if you play it regularly, but I at least have access to Legendary armor via WvW, it just takes me a lot longer. PvP also can obtain legendary armor.

>

> The problem I have is (and likely others) often there is no alternative way to obtain.

>

> For an example: make Gift of exploration available after rank 2000 in WvW once you have collected 5000 skirmish tickets. (Random numbers used, not actual time comparisons)

>

> Make GoB obtainable in an exchange for 4 Gifts of Exploration. Or more maybe I don’t know..

>

> So the **incentive** is there, but not the **requirement**

Happy now? I've included the entirety of your post. I didn't have anything to add to these points, but since you continue to be vexed by my not including them, well, here they are. They aren't relevant to what I was pointing out, which I said in a previous post.

Yes, alternatives like this might be incentives and not requirements, but that was not what the OP was saying which is why I only responded to the very first point.

Make the content good and the people who enjoy those type of content should go play it.

Attempting to shoehorn in incentives is just going to result people playing stuff they don't enjoy for the sake of "stuff". This already happens in PvP and it is neither good for the person doing it nor for their teammates.

> @"xan.8936" said:

> I read a lot of people that only play one or two game modes that they just don't get enough content. I personally like to get the most from my money and experience everything in whatever i do.

Unless you enjoy all content equally you are not getting the most for your money by playing everything. Getting the most for your money would be playing the things you enjoy the most. Maybe you do enjoy all content equally but that is not true for everyone. Attempting to make all content appeal to everyone will probably dilute it for everyone as well.

> Thus in gw1 and gw2 I have always played all game modes. In Gw1 there were Zaishen chest keys, HoM statues, and cross content titles that encouraged people to play all content available. Maybe Arena Net should do more of that as the game ages to try to get people to diversify and increase there play. Then who knows some people may learn to like other modes.

there are already mode exclusive items, titles and cosmetics

have you actually looked at what is already available?

> @"kharmin.7683" said:

> > To the OP: I think you used the right term at the start: **incentivize**

> >

> > That doesn’t necessarily mean ‘force’ as some others have pointed out.

> I disagree. Please see my earlier posts on why.

>

> > Making rewards that require all modes would be great.

> >

> > **However** provide alternatives that may take longer and more effort in another mode.

> >

> > They kind of did that with legendary armor. Raid armor can take the shortest time if you play it regularly, but I at least have access to Legendary armor via WvW, it just takes me a lot longer. PvP also can obtain legendary armor.

> >

> > The problem I have is (and likely others) often there is no alternative way to obtain.

> >

> > For an example: make Gift of exploration available after rank 2000 in WvW once you have collected 5000 skirmish tickets. (Random numbers used, not actual time comparisons)

> >

> > Make GoB obtainable in an exchange for 4 Gifts of Exploration. Or more maybe I don’t know..

> >

> > So the **incentive** is there, but not the **requirement**

> Happy now? I've included the entirety of your post. I didn't have anything to add to these points, but since you continue to be vexed by my not including them, well, here they are. They aren't relevant to what I was pointing out, which I said in a previous post.

Then maybe quote him next time. Just a thought. Likely would have avoided the whole back and forth.

>

> Yes, alternatives like this might be incentives and not requirements, but that was not what the OP was saying which is why I only responded to the very first point.

Again, that wasn’t the ‘thought’ of my post. But by only pulling that point out, you completely ignored the point. Thus, quote the OP.

>

I've only played PvE, but I'm a returning new (and very casual) player.

I fumble so much with fighting in PvE that I think PvP would be a very bad idea for me. WvW does sound intriguing (but complex) and further down the track I may consider giving it a go (I really want to unlock my current Elite specialization, get my first mount and progress further on some Mastery points). The one thing that makes me feel like I won't be a heavy participant in WvW is the timing element surrounding when rewards are issued....I play very casually, sometimes an hour or less at a time, so missing out on rewards for a session because I wasn't on for X minutes more when they're handed out would be a bummer.

> @"Pacificterror.7805" said:

> I've only played PvE, but I'm a returning new (and very casual) player.

>

>The one thing that makes me feel like I won't be a heavy participant in WvW is the timing element surrounding when rewards are issued....I play very casually, sometimes an hour or less at a time, so missing out on rewards for a session because I wasn't on for X minutes more when they're handed out would be a bummer.

Look at how they are given. Skirmish tracks from the wiki are the ones where time is an issue. [skirmish Track Wiki](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Skirmish_reward_track)

The standard reward tracks can be progressed gradually. [Reward Track Wiki](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/WvW_Reward_Track)

> > @"Pacificterror.7805" said:

> > I've only played PvE, but I'm a returning new (and very casual) player.

> >

> >The one thing that makes me feel like I won't be a heavy participant in WvW is the timing element surrounding when rewards are issued....I play very casually, sometimes an hour or less at a time, so missing out on rewards for a session because I wasn't on for X minutes more when they're handed out would be a bummer.

>

> Look at how they are given. Skirmish tracks from the wiki are the ones where time is an issue. [skirmish Track Wiki](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Skirmish_reward_track)

>

> The standard reward tracks can be progressed gradually. [Reward Track Wiki](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/WvW_Reward_Track)

>

Thanks for the info, good to know. Even with how I previously thought it worked, I was intrigued enough by WvW to eventually give it a try but reading that has made me happier about it :)

> @"Pacificterror.7805" said:

> > > @"Pacificterror.7805" said:

> > > I've only played PvE, but I'm a returning new (and very casual) player.

> > >

> > >The one thing that makes me feel like I won't be a heavy participant in WvW is the timing element surrounding when rewards are issued....I play very casually, sometimes an hour or less at a time, so missing out on rewards for a session because I wasn't on for X minutes more when they're handed out would be a bummer.

> >

> > Look at how they are given. Skirmish tracks from the wiki are the ones where time is an issue. [skirmish Track Wiki](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Skirmish_reward_track)

> >

> > The standard reward tracks can be progressed gradually. [Reward Track Wiki](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/WvW_Reward_Track)

> >

>

> Thanks for the info, good to know. Even with how I previously thought it worked, I was intrigued enough by WvW to eventually give it a try but reading that has made me happier about it :)

I enjoy it. Sure there are.... let’s say *challenging souls* that play, but that can actually add to the entertainment if you don’t take them seriously. ?

Understand that dying in the mode is very normal, and a way to learn a little about the game.

Basically, relax, don’t take it too seriously, find a good soul or two to play with and have fun. ?

> > @"Pacificterror.7805" said:

> > I've only played PvE, but I'm a returning new (and very casual) player.

> >

> >The one thing that makes me feel like I won't be a heavy participant in WvW is the timing element surrounding when rewards are issued....I play very casually, sometimes an hour or less at a time, so missing out on rewards for a session because I wasn't on for X minutes more when they're handed out would be a bummer.

>

> Look at how they are given. Skirmish tracks from the wiki are the ones where time is an issue. [skirmish Track Wiki](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Skirmish_reward_track)

>

> The standard reward tracks can be progressed gradually. [Reward Track Wiki](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/WvW_Reward_Track)

>

Reward track is still on the timer unless you are going to rely on doing only the WvW dailies to advance it.

> @"Khisanth.2948" said:

> > > @"Pacificterror.7805" said:

> > > I've only played PvE, but I'm a returning new (and very casual) player.

> > >

> > >The one thing that makes me feel like I won't be a heavy participant in WvW is the timing element surrounding when rewards are issued....I play very casually, sometimes an hour or less at a time, so missing out on rewards for a session because I wasn't on for X minutes more when they're handed out would be a bummer.

> >

> > Look at how they are given. Skirmish tracks from the wiki are the ones where time is an issue. [skirmish Track Wiki](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Skirmish_reward_track)

> >

> > The standard reward tracks can be progressed gradually. [Reward Track Wiki](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/WvW_Reward_Track)

> >

>

> Reward track is still on the timer unless you are going to rely on doing only the WvW dailies to advance it.

Yes, but it doesn’t reset at set times. It can be completed casually, without missing out on rewards in the track.