Oakhearts + Dredge Turrets - remove them.

Shroud.2307

Both of these things are in a class of their own when it comes to screwing over fights. Oakhearts take way too long to kill and the Immobilize has a colossal radius on it, and Dredge Turrets not only hurt when they Daze you, the Daze is like a solid 3 seconds.

PvE stuff in WvW is fine. If it's protecting an objective or what ever, okay. Ambients and Neutral mobs are fine so long as they're things that; don't rally players, and are easily dispatched if they get aggro'd.

Although Dredge Turrets are "easily dispatched", they, like Oakhearts, often have an unnecessarily significant impact on fights if they get involved. Of course I'm talking more small scale than large here, however they can be a pain even at large scale sometimes too.

Removing the Champions like Grub and Arboreal Spirit would also be nice, but we'll leave that discussion for another time.

Oakhearts? Dredge? I've never encountered either of these types of npcs in either the Alpine or Desert borderlands?? Or were you referring to that OTHER map...the bad place?? If that's the case, there's a simple solution!! Stop going to the bad place!!!

> @"Justine.6351" said:

> Flip dredge

> Deal with the roots like you would a ranger.

>

> Idk how grub and tree spirit are affecting your gameplay.

Are you defending these things for the sake of disagreeing with me, or do you enjoy these things being a part of WvW.

> @"Ronin.4501" said:

> Oakhearts? Dredge? I've never encountered either of these types of npcs in either the Alpine or Desert borderlands?? Or were you referring to that OTHER map...the bad place?? If that's the case, there's a simple solution!! Stop going to the bad place!!!

A lot of people consider Red BL to be the "bad place". What is it that's "bad" about EBG? I can take a guess, but I'd love to hear the answer.

> @"Shroud.2307" said:

> > @"Justine.6351" said:

> > Flip dredge

> > Deal with the roots like you would a ranger.

> >

> > Idk how grub and tree spirit are affecting your gameplay.

>

> Are you defending these things for the sake of disagreeing with me, or do you enjoy these things being a part of WvW.

WvW is about as close as we will ever come to pvx maps so I don't mind having weird quirks like dredge turrets.

> @"Justine.6351" said:

> > @"Shroud.2307" said:

> > > @"Justine.6351" said:

> > > Flip dredge

> > > Deal with the roots like you would a ranger.

> > >

> > > Idk how grub and tree spirit are affecting your gameplay.

> >

> > Are you defending these things for the sake of disagreeing with me, or do you enjoy these things being a part of WvW.

>

>

> WvW is about as close as we will ever come to pvx maps so I don't mind having weird quirks like dredge turrets.

Neither do I, but for some things it's different. Ambient and Neutral mobs are nice to keep the map(s) from feeling completely empty and giving it flavor. But when they start to be an actual issue in fights, such that you probably want to prioritize taking them out if you can, I don't think it belongs in WvW. Objective defending NPC's are a different story, so I'm not talking about those.

I'm only complaining about these two in particular because if they get involved in a 1v1/X or a small scale fight it can very easily be what gets you killed. I don't think any mobs should have that kind of impact unless they're relegated to a single location _(like the Elite Drake in Red BL)._ Champion Grub and Arborial Spirit are like that, so I don't think they're much an issue. I only cite them for removal because they're pointless, but I suppose that'd apply to every other neutral mob too.

This is more of a personal gripe, but I do know I'm not alone in hating these two things. There have been many times I've seen someone curse the Dredge Turrets or Oakhearts in fights and it's never a fun thing to get killed by. Dredge Turret in particular has a nasty habit of interrupting heals and respawning 5 seconds after it gets destroyed.

There has also been multiple occasions I've won/been winning a fight/outnumbered fight and an Oakheart(s) get aggro'd and I can't stomp a downed because the stupid thing is Immob'ing and CCing me.

Dredge turrets are part of the dredge event. If they annoy you, then kill the dredge in the cave. Almost the same can be said about the oak heart. It is clearly visible and it is slow. It symbolizes an area of denial. You fight at a high risk close to it. That's also intentional.

You have a different opinion of how WvW should be designed than ANet. They do obviously like these little things you have to keep in mind. The game mode is actually not just a battlefield where everything except your encounter can not harm you. Watching your environment while fighting is part of the design.

> @"Ronin.4501" said:

> Oakhearts? Dredge? I've never encountered either of these types of npcs in either the Alpine or Desert borderlands?? Or were you referring to that OTHER map...the bad place?? If that's the case, there's a simple solution!! Stop going to the bad place!!!

How dare you call the place of the holy shiny castle "bad"

I think they should add more creatures to the map. Its not only "empty field and just pvp" ,in wvw we have the option to use the open world & pve elements to our advantage (or other players do)

Thats one of the things i really like about WvW.

If they lower the amount of immobilize from Oakhearts & daze duration from dredge towers, ok. But dont remove them.

And the champions are the best thing cuz they give an big amount of wvw-exp (compared to their big healthpool). An way for players, that dont get to claim a lot of things (like towers or keeps), to level up properly.

> @"Shroud.2307" said:

> Both of these things are in a class of their own when it comes to screwing over fights. Oakhearts take way too long to kill and the Immobilize has a colossal radius on it, and Dredge Turrets not only hurt when they Daze you, the Daze is like a solid 3 seconds.

>

> PvE stuff in WvW is fine. If it's protecting an objective or what ever, okay. Ambients and Neutral mobs are fine so long as they're things that; don't rally players, and are easily dispatched if they get aggro'd.

> Although Dredge Turrets are "easily dispatched", they, like Oakhearts, often have an unnecessarily significant impact on fights if they get involved. Of course I'm talking more small scale than large here, however they can be a pain even at large scale sometimes too.

>

> Removing the Champions like Grub and Arboreal Spirit would also be nice, but we'll leave that discussion for another time.

This is what happens when you guys called for nerfs to players. Please continue to call for nerfs to every skills and professions, very soon we will need a 10 man squad to kill the sentry guards...

> @"KrHome.1920" said:

> Dredge turrets are part of the dredge event. If they annoy you, then kill the dredge in the cave. Almost the same can be said about the oak heart. It is clearly visible and it is slow. It symbolizes an area of denial. You fight at a high risk close to it. That's also intentional.

>

> You have a different opinion of how WvW should be designed than ANet. They do obviously like these little things you have to keep in mind. The game mode is actually not just a battlefield where everything except your encounter can not harm you. Watching your environment while fighting is part of the design.

Well put, and although I agree with

> You have a different opinion of how WvW should be designed than ANet.

it isn't always a matter of "watching your environment." Especially in larger scale fights you don't always have the option to control where a fight is moving or taking place if you're not the Commander. And if it's small scale there are often times a stray skill or AOE will aggro the Oakheart, and Dredge Turrets just fire on who ever they feel like.

This isn't about how they can be dealt with, but rather why they are so much more dangerous than everything else. It'd be one thing if other mobs were as problematic to fight around, but that's not the case.

> @"Mil.3562" said:

> This is what happens when you guys called for nerfs to players. Please continue to call for nerfs to every skills and professions, very soon we will need a 10 man squad to kill the sentry guards...

Maybe being a little over dramatic?

Asking for nerfs isn't something I often do, and if at all, I ask for something specific rather than asking for an entire class to be nerfed like most people do.

And I don't think what I'm asking in the OP is a "nerf". I'm asking for these things to be removed entirely because they're unnecessarily hazardous compared to everything else.

those are good examples that should be removed. they have no real use, trolls can lure them next to you to get u stuck (the oakhearts), and the dredge cannon always fires a daze randomly into you.

many of these random npcs should get nerfed - instead Anet could just give the NPC guards the resing skill back, bc as for now, they're just plain useless. even in 1v1, they'll rather handicap u against certain classes, since enemies can rally by killing them. (1v2 makes it even worse as all NPCs that are not red border ones, have garbage damage output)

__

so to clarify this: i have no direct issue with "more pvE" in Wvw, since it is an integral part however, those useless NPC whose best job is to put a random daze, entangle, cripple or knockback onto you - or simply make u stuck in battle - are just poorly positioned.

they're minor annoyances, but can get u passively killed, by seperating you from others and opening spots for small ganker groups.

pvE in Wvw should be strong, well positioned and rather few. the damage of those existing has barely to no effect on anyone. 3 people groups can even flip the strong keep lords of red border.

> @"Clownmug.8357" said:

> Yeah, let's turn off our brains some more, paying attention to our environment is too hard.

Can you explain to me how these things are fun for you? I'd love to understand.

Or, like all the other intellectuals on this forum, are you just being sarcastic and combative because you don't know how to take part in an actual discussion that isn't an echo chamber.

> @"Shroud.2307" said:

> > @"Clownmug.8357" said:

> > Yeah, let's turn off our brains some more, paying attention to our environment is too hard.

>

> Can you explain to me how these things are fun for you? I'd love to understand.

> Or, like all the other intellectuals on this forum, are you just being sarcastic and combative because you don't know how to take part in an actual discussion that isn't an echo chamber.

Environmental hazards make things more interesting. I'm not an intellectual, just someone that can recognize basic game design.

They are problematic.

That being said, many of the groups that I’ve been with will kill the local Oakheart prior to engaging the enemy to prevent its issue.

Not always possible, but I’ve also lured people TO the Oakheart nearby to have a better chance to either escape the engagement, or maybe swing the encounter.

The dredge turrets are only up if the Dredge are under a server’s control. This makes flipping it vital for small groups.

Now, the dredge are actually not very good fighters. They go to the local camps and usually die to the NPCs there, whereas the frogs can empty a camp out fairly easily. Ogres... well, they aren’t much either and I am not sure what advantage they give TBH.

Maybe instead of removing the turrets, add something for the other two factions that are area or map wide. (Or at least throughout the ‘third’ of the map they are involved with)