New races please,and their heritage skins

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Leo G.4501" said:

> > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > @"Leo G.4501" said:

> > > Anyone else remember the era of gaming where game devs pushed the envelope and had to think creatively when they had hard limitations to work around?

> >

> > 2018, yeah. it's not an era, it's a hard requirement for success of any bit of software as complex as modern or old school games.

>

> Mobile games prove you wrong.

Unless you're providing specific games that have never required creative approaches to deal with hard limitations, I don't think you can call it proof.

Mobile games are often a lot like old school games, dealing with similar limitations of computing power, display real estate, color depth. They can make good use of existing approaches, which were creative responses to the original problems. Plus, they aren't nearly as complex as a lot of console or desktop games, which itself is a creative approach to dealing with such limitations.

Regardless, the point is moot: ANet has been extremely creative about a lot of issues, which is partly why so many people love the game as much as they do. The fact that they haven't solved specific issues to everyone's satisfaction doesn't mean that they haven't tried to think outside the box (or inside it); it's because some problems are just really hard to address, without making too many compromises.

A sixth race is a good example of that: there have been some interesting suggestions for how to lessen the costs. The problem is all of them also lessen the value of having a new race: skip the personal story and/or new city? Then we lose a huge chunk of what makes new races interesting for veteran players in the first place. Make the race more humanoid so we can re-use Norn or Human or even Sylvari armor? We lose another huge chunk.

Part of what makes a new race interesting is that they are different; you can only oversimplify those differences so much before the point of having a new race is lost.

Personally I would like to see another race added into the game, but I respect many of the obstacles that prevent it such as the increase in voice acting for all previous content as well as all future content, adjusting all armors so they fit this new race, developing personal story, animations, a starting map, and so on. I would be a bit disappointed in a compromise such as having the race start after a certain story point, as then it would be locked out of content.

I'm of the mind set that for a new race to be made it would have to bring in enough financially to make up for the payments to voice actors and development time.

I would like them to add Monk, Ritualist, Paragon, Dervish as professions. How are 4 the ideal would be two heavy armor and 1 of medium and light armor but as the Revenant was added (I love this profession and I thought the idea sensational) could add these 4 all at once. :)

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > @"Leo G.4501" said:

> > > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > > @"Leo G.4501" said:

> > > > Anyone else remember the era of gaming where game devs pushed the envelope and had to think creatively when they had hard limitations to work around?

> > >

> > > 2018, yeah. it's not an era, it's a hard requirement for success of any bit of software as complex as modern or old school games.

> >

> > Mobile games prove you wrong.

>

> Unless you're providing specific games that have never required creative approaches to deal with hard limitations, I don't think you can call it proof.

Considering the post you're initially responding to is tongue in cheek, I can certainly name mobile games that didn't require creative approaches and achieved major success just as I can name non-mobile games that seethed creativity and great gameplay/story despite their limitation yet did not achieve success. The mobile games reply was an easy jab that is plain to see contradict your argument, I'm surprised you're even taking the exchange seriously.

> Mobile games are often a lot like old school games, dealing with similar limitations of computing power, display real estate, color depth. They can make good use of existing approaches, which were creative responses to the original problems. Plus, they aren't nearly as complex as a lot of console or desktop games, which itself is a creative approach to dealing with such limitations.

>

While those are hard limitations, they don't require creativity to overcome to achieve success if success is determined by the profit they make and exposure they see.

> Regardless, the point is moot: ANet has been extremely creative about a lot of issues, which is partly why so many people love the game as much as they do. The fact that they haven't solved specific issues to everyone's satisfaction doesn't mean that they haven't tried to think outside the box (or inside it); it's because some problems are just really hard to address, without making too many compromises.

>

> A sixth race is a good example of that: there have been some interesting suggestions for how to lessen the costs. The problem is all of them also lessen the value of having a new race: skip the personal story and/or new city? Then we lose a huge chunk of what makes new races interesting for veteran players in the first place. Make the race more humanoid so we can re-use Norn or Human or even Sylvari armor? We lose another huge chunk.

>

Luckily, I don't think the devs need you telling them what creative approaches to use to accomplish certain game features to their standard of quality. You can share your opinion, sure, but the context of our exchange is that creative devs work great when they have defined limits to work within and have to do more with less. I feel, expressing the desire for more races is supporting that mentality: pushing them to do more with what they have.

As for my opinion, I don't think a new race would need a home city. A new city? They introduce new cities/zones enough that it wouldn't be unheard of if a new race were stationed in the new zone area but it is certainly not a requirement (add a section to Lion's Arch or, for example, adding a Skritt race could add a section to Rata Sum for these new Skritt). Personal story is pivotal to adding the new race but it'd be far easier to add their story to the current (when one is introduced) living story timeline rather than backtrack. That's quite a bit of voice acting that wouldn't be required right there. I'd be willing to sacrifice armor for some in-game and gem store outfits, in exchange for better quality skins and an added diverse race and if necessary, a staggered release of wardrobe armor skins.

> @"Leo G.4501" said:

> > > > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > > > @"Leo G.4501" said:

> > > > > Anyone else remember the era of gaming where game devs pushed the envelope and had to think creatively when they had hard limitations to work around?

> > > >

> > > > 2018, yeah. it's not an era, it's a hard requirement for success of any bit of software as complex as modern or old school games.

> > >

> > > Mobile games prove you wrong.

> >

> > Unless you're providing specific games that have never required creative approaches to deal with hard limitations, I don't think you can call it proof.

>

> Considering the post you're initially responding to is tongue in cheek, I can certainly name mobile games that didn't require creative approaches and achieved major success just as I can name non-mobile games that seethed creativity and great gameplay/story despite their limitation yet did not achieve success. The mobile games reply was an easy jab that is plain to see contradict your argument, I'm surprised you're even taking the exchange seriously.

>

> > Mobile games are often a lot like old school games, dealing with similar limitations of computing power, display real estate, color depth. They can make good use of existing approaches, which were creative responses to the original problems. Plus, they aren't nearly as complex as a lot of console or desktop games, which itself is a creative approach to dealing with such limitations.

> >

>

> While those are hard limitations, they don't require creativity to overcome to achieve success if success is determined by the profit they make and exposure they see.

>

> > Regardless, the point is moot: ANet has been extremely creative about a lot of issues, which is partly why so many people love the game as much as they do. The fact that they haven't solved specific issues to everyone's satisfaction doesn't mean that they haven't tried to think outside the box (or inside it); it's because some problems are just really hard to address, without making too many compromises.

> >

> > A sixth race is a good example of that: there have been some interesting suggestions for how to lessen the costs. The problem is all of them also lessen the value of having a new race: skip the personal story and/or new city? Then we lose a huge chunk of what makes new races interesting for veteran players in the first place. Make the race more humanoid so we can re-use Norn or Human or even Sylvari armor? We lose another huge chunk.

> >

>

> Luckily, I don't think the devs need you telling them what creative approaches to use to accomplish certain game features to their standard of quality. You can share your opinion, sure, but the context of our exchange is that creative devs work great when they have defined limits to work within and have to do more with less. I feel, expressing the desire for more races is supporting that mentality: pushing them to do more with what they have.

>

> As for my opinion, I don't think a new race would need a home city. A new city? They introduce new cities/zones enough that it wouldn't be unheard of if a new race were stationed in the new zone area but it is certainly not a requirement (add a section to Lion's Arch or, for example, adding a Skritt race could add a section to Rata Sum for these new Skritt). Personal story is pivotal to adding the new race but it'd be far easier to add their story to the current (when one is introduced) living story timeline rather than backtrack. That's quite a bit of voice acting that wouldn't be required right there. I'd be willing to sacrifice armor for some in-game and gem store outfits, in exchange for better quality skins and an added diverse race and if necessary, a staggered release of wardrobe armor skins.

>

And I'd prefer a few new weapon types, new core traitlines, new e-specs, unlocking espec weapons restrictions, new professions and tons of armors and/or gemstore armors instead of outfits and a new race. Thats just my opinion on dev resource allocation, but I'm sure it's shared by many others.

> @"DeTechTive.9251" said:

> > @"Leo G.4501" said:

> > > > > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > > > > @"Leo G.4501" said:

> > > > > > Anyone else remember the era of gaming where game devs pushed the envelope and had to think creatively when they had hard limitations to work around?

> > > > >

> > > > > 2018, yeah. it's not an era, it's a hard requirement for success of any bit of software as complex as modern or old school games.

> > > >

> > > > Mobile games prove you wrong.

> > >

> > > Unless you're providing specific games that have never required creative approaches to deal with hard limitations, I don't think you can call it proof.

> >

> > Considering the post you're initially responding to is tongue in cheek, I can certainly name mobile games that didn't require creative approaches and achieved major success just as I can name non-mobile games that seethed creativity and great gameplay/story despite their limitation yet did not achieve success. The mobile games reply was an easy jab that is plain to see contradict your argument, I'm surprised you're even taking the exchange seriously.

> >

> > > Mobile games are often a lot like old school games, dealing with similar limitations of computing power, display real estate, color depth. They can make good use of existing approaches, which were creative responses to the original problems. Plus, they aren't nearly as complex as a lot of console or desktop games, which itself is a creative approach to dealing with such limitations.

> > >

> >

> > While those are hard limitations, they don't require creativity to overcome to achieve success if success is determined by the profit they make and exposure they see.

> >

> > > Regardless, the point is moot: ANet has been extremely creative about a lot of issues, which is partly why so many people love the game as much as they do. The fact that they haven't solved specific issues to everyone's satisfaction doesn't mean that they haven't tried to think outside the box (or inside it); it's because some problems are just really hard to address, without making too many compromises.

> > >

> > > A sixth race is a good example of that: there have been some interesting suggestions for how to lessen the costs. The problem is all of them also lessen the value of having a new race: skip the personal story and/or new city? Then we lose a huge chunk of what makes new races interesting for veteran players in the first place. Make the race more humanoid so we can re-use Norn or Human or even Sylvari armor? We lose another huge chunk.

> > >

> >

> > Luckily, I don't think the devs need you telling them what creative approaches to use to accomplish certain game features to their standard of quality. You can share your opinion, sure, but the context of our exchange is that creative devs work great when they have defined limits to work within and have to do more with less. I feel, expressing the desire for more races is supporting that mentality: pushing them to do more with what they have.

> >

> > As for my opinion, I don't think a new race would need a home city. A new city? They introduce new cities/zones enough that it wouldn't be unheard of if a new race were stationed in the new zone area but it is certainly not a requirement (add a section to Lion's Arch or, for example, adding a Skritt race could add a section to Rata Sum for these new Skritt). Personal story is pivotal to adding the new race but it'd be far easier to add their story to the current (when one is introduced) living story timeline rather than backtrack. That's quite a bit of voice acting that wouldn't be required right there. I'd be willing to sacrifice armor for some in-game and gem store outfits, in exchange for better quality skins and an added diverse race and if necessary, a staggered release of wardrobe armor skins.

> >

> And I'd prefer a few new weapon types, new core traitlines, new e-specs, unlocking espec weapons restrictions, new professions and tons of armors and/or gemstore armors instead of outfits and a new race. Thats just my opinion on dev resource allocation, but I'm sure it's shared by many others.

And I'm not the only player to profess a desire for new races, what does that or your post have to do with dev resource allocation?

> @"Leo G.4501" said:

> > @"DeTechTive.9251" said:

> > > > > @"Leo G.4501" said:

> > > > > > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > > > > > @"Leo G.4501" said:

> > > > > > > Anyone else remember the era of gaming where game devs pushed the envelope and had to think creatively when they had hard limitations to work around?

> > > > > >

> > > > > > 2018, yeah. it's not an era, it's a hard requirement for success of any bit of software as complex as modern or old school games.

> > > > >

> > > > > Mobile games prove you wrong.

> > > >

> > > > Unless you're providing specific games that have never required creative approaches to deal with hard limitations, I don't think you can call it proof.

> > >

> > > Considering the post you're initially responding to is tongue in cheek, I can certainly name mobile games that didn't require creative approaches and achieved major success just as I can name non-mobile games that seethed creativity and great gameplay/story despite their limitation yet did not achieve success. The mobile games reply was an easy jab that is plain to see contradict your argument, I'm surprised you're even taking the exchange seriously.

> > >

> > > > Mobile games are often a lot like old school games, dealing with similar limitations of computing power, display real estate, color depth. They can make good use of existing approaches, which were creative responses to the original problems. Plus, they aren't nearly as complex as a lot of console or desktop games, which itself is a creative approach to dealing with such limitations.

> > > >

> > >

> > > While those are hard limitations, they don't require creativity to overcome to achieve success if success is determined by the profit they make and exposure they see.

> > >

> > > > Regardless, the point is moot: ANet has been extremely creative about a lot of issues, which is partly why so many people love the game as much as they do. The fact that they haven't solved specific issues to everyone's satisfaction doesn't mean that they haven't tried to think outside the box (or inside it); it's because some problems are just really hard to address, without making too many compromises.

> > > >

> > > > A sixth race is a good example of that: there have been some interesting suggestions for how to lessen the costs. The problem is all of them also lessen the value of having a new race: skip the personal story and/or new city? Then we lose a huge chunk of what makes new races interesting for veteran players in the first place. Make the race more humanoid so we can re-use Norn or Human or even Sylvari armor? We lose another huge chunk.

> > > >

> > >

> > > Luckily, I don't think the devs need you telling them what creative approaches to use to accomplish certain game features to their standard of quality. You can share your opinion, sure, but the context of our exchange is that creative devs work great when they have defined limits to work within and have to do more with less. I feel, expressing the desire for more races is supporting that mentality: pushing them to do more with what they have.

> > >

> > > As for my opinion, I don't think a new race would need a home city. A new city? They introduce new cities/zones enough that it wouldn't be unheard of if a new race were stationed in the new zone area but it is certainly not a requirement (add a section to Lion's Arch or, for example, adding a Skritt race could add a section to Rata Sum for these new Skritt). Personal story is pivotal to adding the new race but it'd be far easier to add their story to the current (when one is introduced) living story timeline rather than backtrack. That's quite a bit of voice acting that wouldn't be required right there. I'd be willing to sacrifice armor for some in-game and gem store outfits, in exchange for better quality skins and an added diverse race and if necessary, a staggered release of wardrobe armor skins.

> > >

> > And I'd prefer a few new weapon types, new core traitlines, new e-specs, unlocking espec weapons restrictions, new professions and tons of armors and/or gemstore armors instead of outfits and a new race. Thats just my opinion on dev resource allocation, but I'm sure it's shared by many others.

>

> And I'm not the only player to profess a desire for new races, what does that or your post have to do with dev resource allocation?

Not sure how you wouldn't understand that it has everything to do with it. I'm freely voicing my opinion on where I'd prefer them to focus their efforts. This is a forum, ideas will have opposition and debate, but as I have already said, I'm not fully opposed to it. A new race would need more incentive for alot of long time players who already have everything at 80 and sometimes twice over or more. It's a hard sell to say, "do all the same stuff again, unlocking all the traits abilities and e-specs and map completion and so on", simply because you now look like a bear or have inverted bird knees. Because if that's it, then I would prefer those resources be put to better (My opinion) use.

The devs have basically stated that the Charr are the reason we're not likely to get any new races any time soon/ever. They already rarely release new armor skins because the charr are so difficult to fit the armor to without huge clipping problems. A new race, especially a beast race like the tengu, would mean re-fitting literally thousands of armor skins, developing brand new racial armor skins, developing dialogue and story and starting areas, paying voice actors, etc. It's really really unlikely they will allocate the resources for that kind of massive undertaking.

WoW geting ''new races'' like crazy for what? They have no idea how to write a proper story now, they will abandon the new races once the expansion and hype is over to get almost 0 development or protagonism like they have been doing for years. Hype doesn't make a good MMO, quality gameplay, community and story does. Quality over quantity.

The only race that GW2 should get (and it's wroth) are Tengus because they can bring a breath of fresh air, with one is enough for a long time. All of the others are pretty generic and don't bring nothing really new to the game to make them playable.

> @"MetalAssault.7906" said:

> WoW geting ''new races'' like crazy for what? They have no idea how to write a proper story now, they will abandon the new races once the expansion and hype is over to get almost 0 development or protagonism like they have been doing for years. Hype doesn't make a good MMO, quality gameplay, community and story does. Quality over quantity.

> The only race that GW2 should get (and it's wroth) are Tengus because they can bring a breath of fresh air, with one is enough for a long time. All of the others are pretty generic and don't bring nothing really new to the game to make them playable.

Tengu are like all the others tho, pretty generic and dont bring anything really new to the game.

Blizzard has over 4,700 employees working on games including WoW and Arenanet has a little over 300, not to mention Blizzard are scraping the barrel to keep people interested in a 10-year-old game. It's a huge amount of work for something so unnecessary.

> @"DeTechTive.9251" said:

> > @"Leo G.4501" said:

> > > @"DeTechTive.9251" said:

> > > > > > @"Leo G.4501" said:

> > > > > > > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > > > > > > @"Leo G.4501" said:

> > > > > > > > Anyone else remember the era of gaming where game devs pushed the envelope and had to think creatively when they had hard limitations to work around?

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > 2018, yeah. it's not an era, it's a hard requirement for success of any bit of software as complex as modern or old school games.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Mobile games prove you wrong.

> > > > >

> > > > > Unless you're providing specific games that have never required creative approaches to deal with hard limitations, I don't think you can call it proof.

> > > >

> > > > Considering the post you're initially responding to is tongue in cheek, I can certainly name mobile games that didn't require creative approaches and achieved major success just as I can name non-mobile games that seethed creativity and great gameplay/story despite their limitation yet did not achieve success. The mobile games reply was an easy jab that is plain to see contradict your argument, I'm surprised you're even taking the exchange seriously.

> > > >

> > > > > Mobile games are often a lot like old school games, dealing with similar limitations of computing power, display real estate, color depth. They can make good use of existing approaches, which were creative responses to the original problems. Plus, they aren't nearly as complex as a lot of console or desktop games, which itself is a creative approach to dealing with such limitations.

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > While those are hard limitations, they don't require creativity to overcome to achieve success if success is determined by the profit they make and exposure they see.

> > > >

> > > > > Regardless, the point is moot: ANet has been extremely creative about a lot of issues, which is partly why so many people love the game as much as they do. The fact that they haven't solved specific issues to everyone's satisfaction doesn't mean that they haven't tried to think outside the box (or inside it); it's because some problems are just really hard to address, without making too many compromises.

> > > > >

> > > > > A sixth race is a good example of that: there have been some interesting suggestions for how to lessen the costs. The problem is all of them also lessen the value of having a new race: skip the personal story and/or new city? Then we lose a huge chunk of what makes new races interesting for veteran players in the first place. Make the race more humanoid so we can re-use Norn or Human or even Sylvari armor? We lose another huge chunk.

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > Luckily, I don't think the devs need you telling them what creative approaches to use to accomplish certain game features to their standard of quality. You can share your opinion, sure, but the context of our exchange is that creative devs work great when they have defined limits to work within and have to do more with less. I feel, expressing the desire for more races is supporting that mentality: pushing them to do more with what they have.

> > > >

> > > > As for my opinion, I don't think a new race would need a home city. A new city? They introduce new cities/zones enough that it wouldn't be unheard of if a new race were stationed in the new zone area but it is certainly not a requirement (add a section to Lion's Arch or, for example, adding a Skritt race could add a section to Rata Sum for these new Skritt). Personal story is pivotal to adding the new race but it'd be far easier to add their story to the current (when one is introduced) living story timeline rather than backtrack. That's quite a bit of voice acting that wouldn't be required right there. I'd be willing to sacrifice armor for some in-game and gem store outfits, in exchange for better quality skins and an added diverse race and if necessary, a staggered release of wardrobe armor skins.

> > > >

> > > And I'd prefer a few new weapon types, new core traitlines, new e-specs, unlocking espec weapons restrictions, new professions and tons of armors and/or gemstore armors instead of outfits and a new race. Thats just my opinion on dev resource allocation, but I'm sure it's shared by many others.

> >

> > And I'm not the only player to profess a desire for new races, what does that or your post have to do with dev resource allocation?

>

> Not sure how you wouldn't understand that it has everything to do with it. I'm freely voicing my opinion on where I'd prefer them to focus their efforts. This is a forum, ideas will have opposition and debate, but as I have already said, I'm not fully opposed to it. A new race would need more incentive for alot of long time players who already have everything at 80 and sometimes twice over or more. It's a hard sell to say, "do all the same stuff again, unlocking all the traits abilities and e-specs and map completion and so on", simply because you now look like a bear or have inverted bird knees. Because if that's it, then I would prefer those resources be put to better (My opinion) use.

Not sure how you wouldn't understand that what *WE* want doesn't dictate how the devs decide how their efforts and resources are allocated.

At this point, you're arguing with yourself about dev resource allocation and how it should reflect your posts.

> @"Trevor Boyer.6524" said:

> I just want a tonic that allows me to look like a toxic krait, while in combat.

I want a ton of more combat tonics. They could make Tengu, dwarf, mursaat - conflicts a bit with gemstore sales, but let's be real - combat tonics are freaking awesome and they serve as a great middle ground between new races and the work it'd undertake to make a new race.

Rn tengu dont look like a race thats easy to make armor for but someone found this concept art of tengu.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/7/7f/C4_Tengu_concept_art.jpg

These have much more human like posture (upper part of the body is basically that of a human but with diff positioned arms and they still retain their iconic faces feathers on their armor and bird like legs.

I believe it would be worth to rework the apearance of tengu to be more like this and bundle it as a major selling point of the next expac.

Considering how much the allied races have hard carried sales for blizzard it would be madness for anet to not try and capitalise on that.

> @"Linken.6345" said:

> > @"MetalAssault.7906" said:

> > WoW geting ''new races'' like crazy for what? They have no idea how to write a proper story now, they will abandon the new races once the expansion and hype is over to get almost 0 development or protagonism like they have been doing for years. Hype doesn't make a good MMO, quality gameplay, community and story does. Quality over quantity.

> > The only race that GW2 should get (and it's wroth) are Tengus because they can bring a breath of fresh air, with one is enough for a long time. All of the others are pretty generic and don't bring nothing really new to the game to make them playable.

>

> Tengu are like all the others tho, pretty generic and dont bring anything really new to the game.

They are compared to what other people propose, like it or not.

> @"MetalAssault.7906" said:

> > @"Linken.6345" said:

> > > @"MetalAssault.7906" said:

> > > WoW geting ''new races'' like crazy for what? They have no idea how to write a proper story now, they will abandon the new races once the expansion and hype is over to get almost 0 development or protagonism like they have been doing for years. Hype doesn't make a good MMO, quality gameplay, community and story does. Quality over quantity.

> > > The only race that GW2 should get (and it's wroth) are Tengus because they can bring a breath of fresh air, with one is enough for a long time. All of the others are pretty generic and don't bring nothing really new to the game to make them playable.

> >

> > Tengu are like all the others tho, pretty generic and dont bring anything really new to the game.

>

> They are compared to what other people propose, like it or not.

Say what now?

Can you elaborate abit more on how you think Tengu are any diffrent than any other race when it comes to the spirit of worth and bringing anything new to the game?

> @"Zephire.8049" said:

> With charr neglected as they are, bringing in new races -- especially races that aren't human clones -- is pointless and would stretch thin resources even thinner. It's nice to think about because GW2 has so many cool and interesting races, but fact is 1/5 of our current races has severe clipping issues and often have odd looking bits because their model is so different from humans, norn, and sylvari. Charr cultural armour clips on charr, horns clip through helms, hair clips through the back, etc. Even asura have issues, though to a lesser extent.

>

> Plus now there's mounts and gliding to consider, not to mention a giant backlog of armour that would need to be redone. That's a whooooole lot of work that never goes away (they'll forever have to design, model, and skin new armour and outfits), which means that much general content that does not happen.

>

> (When comparing games, it's also good to consider the companies' positions :) Blizzard is huge, has multiple popular games that bring in a pile of money each day, and WoW hit the market at the perfect time to be extremely popular and to this day gets away with having a subscription. Anet is small, has one IP, and relies on expansions to boost revenue enough to keep going. They simply don't have the resources to spare for such a massive undertaking.)

Sylvary has clipping issue with head items i noticed