"No downstate" better not become a permanent feature...

I doubt there would be any possible change they could make that is universally accepted. I've got some friends who absolutely think this is the worst idea ever and more that are bagging/tagging enemies at a ridiculous rate. I like changes. May not always agree with them but I guarantee the groups taking advantage of this week are the ones who are thinking outside the box, changed their comp, approach or planned ahead. Truth is we don't know what the plan is right now. Its a test. I imagine they are taking this huge influx of players due to double xp and no downstate, putting that into a database and seeing all sort of issues. This could be used to tweak skills, traits, add additional resources into downstate. Anytime they make a change people gripe. Desert BL for many people was a huge failure initially, they added gliding and that changed a lot of opinions. Personally after logging a lot of time on that map I've come to enjoy it.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"alphafert.6730" said:

> > @"aspirine.5839" said:

> > > @"Taqe.1342" said:

> > > There are lots of post already asking for this event feature to become permanent. Also all those ppl defending this event and neglecting scrapper and lots of traits, skills from other professions, what about no stealth week? Sound like a cool event right? wonder if you guys will come here and say " its just for a week, don't cry". Taking away MAJOR game mechanic is a serious thing, just my 2 cents.

> > > PS I don't play engi, hate the class

> >

> > No stealth week sounds great, but that is a bit different. Not all classes rely on it so easy to suggest. Give the stealth users something to replace it with.

>

> Ok, 7k hp for your stealth

Add 15k to eles and you have a deal....

Lose stealth and add about 2k health. More than enough considering you can still run away...

> @"Malediktus.9250" said:

> This no downstate week is horrible.

> +100% WXP and +50% magic find as a bonus is also useless if I get -75% loot in total because you can no longer tag downed people so DPS classes get all the loot lol

Honestly having no problem getting loot no matter what i play. And tagging downs is not a intentional mechanic of the down state so im sure they can find a contribution mechanic to appease you.

> @"Gwaihir.1745" said:

> > @"Malediktus.9250" said:

> > This no downstate week is horrible.

> > +100% WXP and +50% magic find as a bonus is also useless if I get -75% loot in total because you can no longer tag downed people so DPS classes get all the loot lol

>

> Honestly having no problem getting loot no matter what i play. And tagging downs is not a intentional mechanic of the down state so im sure they can find a contribution mechanic to appease you.

Players have much more health in downed state, the most of the player tagging happens in downed state

> @"aspirine.5839" said:

> > @"Taqe.1342" said:

> > There are lots of post already asking for this event feature to become permanent. Also all those ppl defending this event and neglecting scrapper and lots of traits, skills from other professions, what about no stealth week? Sound like a cool event right? wonder if you guys will come here and say " its just for a week, don't cry". Taking away MAJOR game mechanic is a serious thing, just my 2 cents.

> > PS I don't play engi, hate the class

>

> No stealth week sounds great, but that is a bit different. Not all classes rely on it so easy to suggest. Give the stealth users something to replace it with.

and.... what they gave now to the non stealth oneshooters(the main beneficiaries of no downed)?

• 10 months later...

I don't like no-downstate and won't WvW with it no matter what additional incentives they provide. The mere fact that they have to provide incentives says something about how awful it is. Downstate provides an mechanic unique to this game that opens up a huge amount of interesting options as allies and enemies both attempt to recover their downed. WvW without downstate is a boring gankfest, no matter whether you are on the winning or losing side.

> @"Raven.1793" said:

> I don't like no-downstate and won't WvW with it no matter what additional incentives they provide. The mere fact that they have to provide incentives says something about how awful it is. Downstate provides an mechanic unique to this game that opens up a huge amount of interesting options as allies and enemies both attempt to recover their downed. WvW without downstate is a boring gankfest, no matter whether you are on the winning or losing side.

Which is why people would like Anet to rework "revive" as a mechanic and not have it function the way it does now. Which includes *removing* downstate and rally as they are, for the state of the game as it is today, problematic.

I'm going to repost something here that I've already posted elsewhere, trying to shamelessly plug it to maybe help people understand the position that the "no downstate lovers" are coming from.

>Personally I love No Downed state. It does make winning outnumbered fights much easier since people aren't carried by downed state and rally, which many, many people are.

>Its why I've tried to advocate for discussion around completely reworking revives as a mechanic in GW2 in PvP modes like sPvP and WvW, especially considering how strong and abundant healing builds are now. They literally just buffed Ventari Rev and made it stronger. So not only do we have Firebrand, Scrapper and Tempest (which also got a healing buff in the last patch) but now we have Revenant with a healing build. Downed State is becoming redundant and problematic as a "support" mechanic for players. Do I want them to remove reviving as a mechanic in the game? No. Not at all. I want them to improve it. I would much rather them remove downed state and add/change some skills that heal or revive Downed players so that it brings them back to life from full dead but put those skills, like Battle Standard, onto 5 minute cooldowns (also only making them revive 1 player) so they aren't available too frequently but still allow for clutch revives during fights. The longer cooldown and tying it to a skill with a cooldown would just allow for much better and healthier counterplay.

>Would it make these skills required for zerg play or group play? Yes but I don't see a problem with that, at competitive levels in GW1 GvG and otherwise Res Signet was essentially required in builds for most players with maybe the exception of 1 or 2 people on your team. It would also create more diversity among zergs if you, for example, make sure a set couple of Spellbreakers use Winds of Disenchantment but also make sure several have Battle Standard available. It would mean coordinating for revives during a zerg vs zerg fight would be an important and tactical aspect of winning, surviving or prolonging the engagement.

>Oh and in regards to the Scrapper Function Gyro mechanic also being made "obsolete" should something like this happen....Anet can turn it into an actual active use skill on or adjacent to the Toolbelt skills and have it function purely as a support skill. Basically a drone defibrillator that the Scrapper sends out to revive an ally.

>Another thing to address in regards to an argument against it that I see sometimes, also one that people say is the reason why Anet would never do this; Finishers.

>Anet makes money off of Finishers as a cosmetic item from the Gem Store. This is true and if they removed downed state and stomping from the game then they would essentially be nullifying and "deleting" an entire subset of cash shop items. Some people have suggested that they simply change it so that if you land the "killing blow" on an enemy that your finisher is the one that applies over their body when they die. People are right in that it could cause lag and such in an already laggy mode for many.

>I have a different solution. Turn it into an emote or an effect similar to Novelties. Players already "taunt" with /laugh or /sleep and other things that even enemy players can see and they already throw siege onto your corpse if they want to "bm" you, and the premise of Finishers is already kind of a taunt, don't you think? Dropping an SAB pixel explosion onto that enemy you just downed? The Llama finisher? Choya? Hidden Minstrel? All rather...taunting but "fun" and "funny", right? So if the concern for Anet is that Finishers would just become obsolete then why not shift their use? Turn them into "Taunts" or "Boasts", I'm sure there could be another name. It would also make it something usable in PvE and probably give more incentive to PvE players to actually buy these cosmetic items as they wouldn't need to play in PvP to see something they spent money or gems on.

It definitely should become a permanent feature, but I think it's safe to say it's a foregone conclusion it won't be. There are classes who have skills built around downstate so it'd require a complete overhaul of some classes. Won't be happening.

If it makes you feel better OP, no downstate has basically alienated scourges from the event; they are practically useless at the moment. They are always the first ones to die. I'd wager that scrappers actually are more useful than scourges in this event.

> @"Exalted Quality.8534" said:

> This is such a lazy approach to balancing an integral part or PvP/WvW. The Scrapper's function gyro is exists solely for stomping foes or ressurecting allies. By imposing this "no downstate week" garb, you've completely negated the scrapper's unique profession mechanic. I thought ANETs stance on major mechanical changes was NOT to alienate any classes? I really wish people stop suggesting bad ideas...

Why would you think that when Mounts alienated thier most loyal player base and a good chunk of classes and builds that relied on melee bruiser set ups?

> @"Caedmon.6798" said:

> Its just for a week calm down baddies.After this you can all rely on downed state again to win a fight.

>

> Thanks btw Anet,it's a blast ! Fights are so much faster paced atm not having to cleave or finish off.

Finally, I win most 1vs1 without another guy interupting the fight.

Removal of downstate in wvw really should be considered.

> @"Arzurag.7506" said:

> > @"Caedmon.6798" said:

> > Its just for a week calm down baddies.After this you can all rely on downed state again to win a fight.

> >

> > Thanks btw Anet,it's a blast ! Fights are so much faster paced atm not having to cleave or finish off.

>

> Finally, I win most 1vs1 without another guy interupting the fight.

> Removal of downstate in wvw really should be considered.

Or maybe you should just consider 1v1ing somewhere else because wvw was not designed for that anyway.

> @"Vagrant.7206" said:

> > @"Blocki.4931" said:

> > What we learned since the announcements: Engi players are the most likely to complain about such a little thing. You're not alienated in the slightest. What about all the other stomp mechanics people can pull off? Are those alienated as well?

>

> Tell you what. Let's have an event where your unique class/spec mechanic is disabled for a week, while nobody else's is:

>

> * Necro gets no reaper shroud or sand shade abilities

> * Mesmer gets no continuum split or mirage cloak

> * Ele can't overcharge or dual attune

> * Warrior gets no extra burst skills

> * Guardian only gets the core F-skills

> * Revenant can't swap legends

> * Thief gets no extra dodges or deadeye mark.

> * Ranger can't CA or SB form

> * Holo can't enter PF.

>

Well, we have something similar, going from more than one year, day by day. I mean, the **UNIQUE** Chronomancer characteristic - the Alacrity - has been shared with other classes, the Engineer being one of the new users. But, despite the Chronomancer, the original owner and the **UNIQUE** user of this, who should equip a specialization to be able to use it, the Engineers and Revenants can use Alacrity from core.

To come back - a sollution to the issue reported here can be to give the Gyros to other classes too. Accesible from core if possible. Then, no Engineer will complain about his downstate mechanic. Because others will have it denied also.

> @"Cristalyan.5728" said:

> > @"Vagrant.7206" said:

> > > @"Blocki.4931" said:

> > > What we learned since the announcements: Engi players are the most likely to complain about such a little thing. You're not alienated in the slightest. What about all the other stomp mechanics people can pull off? Are those alienated as well?

> >

> > Tell you what. Let's have an event where your unique class/spec mechanic is disabled for a week, while nobody else's is:

> >

> > * Necro gets no reaper shroud or sand shade abilities

> > * Mesmer gets no continuum split or mirage cloak

> > * Ele can't overcharge or dual attune

> > * Warrior gets no extra burst skills

> > * Guardian only gets the core F-skills

> > * Revenant can't swap legends

> > * Thief gets no extra dodges or deadeye mark.

> > * Ranger can't CA or SB form

> > * Holo can't enter PF.

> >

>

> Well, we have something similar, going from more than one year, day by day. I mean, the **UNIQUE** Chronomancer characteristic - the Alacrity - has been shared with other classes, the Engineer being one of the new users. But, despite the Chronomancer, the original owner and the **UNIQUE** user of this, who should equip a specialization to be able to use it, the Engineers and Revenants can use Alacrity from core.

>

> To come back - a sollution to the issue reported here can be to give the Gyros to other classes too. Accesible from core if possible. Then, no Engineer will complain about his downstate mechanic. Because others will have it denied also.

>

"Use", lol. You drag engineer into *this* argument?

Revs can almost perma alacrity even when out of combat sure, but engineer has 2s of alacrity *if* they convert chill. That is all.

Also most classes have features better than the gyro when interacting with downs. It doesnt teleport the player to them, teleport them to the player, heal multiple targets or insta-res them. In fact you wont even be able to target bloody anything in combat before it explodes because a fly landed on it.