What Roll Will the Beetle Mount Fill?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Conncept.7638" said:

> > @"Cragga the Eighty Third.6015" said:

> > I'm guessing it is a high-speed transport, but not maneuverable. That way it could get you across a wide, flattish area in record time, while not making the more maneuverable Raptor obsolete.

>

> Isn't that just a more practical griffon? The griffon is really only faster than the raptor or jackal given the proper circumstances (a high starting altitude) and a very large distance to be covered. If the beetle fills the same roll, except without the altitude requirement, I don't think any loss of maneuverability will save the already infrequently usable griffon from becoming even less frequently usable.

Hmmm, I don't use the griffon for speed so much as to travel conveniently from a high altitude location, frequently to another high altitude location. I can't think of any way that having a land speed racer would detract from the pure fun and convenience of launching off a mountain peak or roof top and flying across a valley to land on a ledge with a vista or dive-bombing an enemy below. ^^

> @"Zeefa.3915" said:

> Wall wrecking? Thats the only thing I noticed it doing that other mounts can't. I am almost sure it wont have the skimmer ability... yes it goes over some water, but its shallow enough for raptors and the other mounts too. Seems pretty fast too... the high jump seems to be caused by a ramp of sorts... so I'll assume it can only jump like that with enough speed up such ramps.

>

> What Cragga said seems quite plausible.

Possibly launching into the air to hit high platforms, or launching across ravines the griffon can't get across.

> @"Loosmaster.8263" said:

> They're going to use it to tear up WvW!!!

I wish they would allow at least one ground based mount in WvW even if they disable mount attacks on that game mode. It takes forever to cross those maps running. I rarely use the raptor but I've always thought it would be good for WvW.

Mebbe a slow acceleration but higher max speed, poor turn control, with no jump movement while moving and a turbo acceleration space bar, attack is a kb stun?

If its flat movement is fast, could be cool on the td roads, zipping past the chak

It doesn't seem exceptionally fast tho, from the video. Feels more like another alternative to raptor/jackal for traveling flattish terrain

Wonder what its 4th mastery will be

We see the rollber beetle breaking a boulder so that's probably what we'll use it for in the story. As for those saying that it is a skin of a skimmer, skimmers can't break boulders so it's a new mount for sure. Other than breaking boulders to create new paths, probably a mechanic of the new map/story only, the new mount appears to be the fastest moving mount, but without leaping capabilities of Raptor and Jackal. Will be used when you want to move fast and the terrain is smooth

> @"casualkenny.9817" said:

> Wonder what its 4th mastery will be

Will this mount even have more than a single mastery? I hope so, but it might be a single mastery (at least to begin with). Maybe it'll open up a mastery tab that gets additional abilities as the season goes on. Either way, the last content that got me this excited was obtaining my griffon.

> @"Tekoneiric.6817" said:

> > @"Loosmaster.8263" said:

> > They're going to use it to tear up WvW!!!

>

> I wish they would allow at least one ground based mount in WvW even if they disable mount attacks on that game mode. It takes forever to cross those maps running. I rarely use the raptor but I've always thought it would be good for WvW.

This would kill roaming in wvw.

Would be sad (and I hope unlikely) if it was a single mastery. It feels more in line with the base mounts than griff.

If the pattern remains

3rd would probably be something related to travel distance for the mount action, mebbe greater turbo

4th would be to share 1st with other mounts

Wondering if:

i) chance for attacks to be glancing

ii) enhanced damage to structures with skill1

> @"casualkenny.9817" said:

> Would be sad (and I hope unlikely) if it was a single mastery. It feels more in line with the base mounts than griff.

>

> If the pattern remains

> 3rd would probably be something related to travel distance for the mount action, mebbe greater turbo

> 4th would be to share 1st with other mounts

>

> Wondering if:

> i) chance for attacks to be glancing

> ii) enhanced damage to structures with skill1

Both a single mastery and needing multiple masteries have upsides and downsides. The precedent for seasons is one track but the precedent for mounts is a track for each mount.

> @"ImTasty.2163" said:

> I'm thinking the roll of the roller beetle will be its stamina bar will be a period of high speed burst. I'm thinking a mastery for this is the ability to use that high speed to break down special walls and maybe increase the duration of the speed boost.

>

> I'm thinking this one will be the fastest ground mount with the option of gaining some vertical mobility with the use of speed boost and ramps.

If that's so, and it can achieve brief airborne periods as in the trailer, then it would completely replace the raptor. What would be the point of a raptor if everything it does is done better by this mount?

I hope they haven't made a crappy mistake. I thought the balance of mounts was perfect as-is.

> @"Biff.5312" said:

> If that's so, and it can achieve brief airborne periods as in the trailer, then it would completely replace the raptor. What would be the point of a raptor if everything it does is done better by this mount?

If there's a canyon or something, the raptor can cross anywhere, not just where someone happened to set up a ramp. It seems like it has even less tolerance for verticality than the raptor, but it also seems like it has the advantage on flat surfaces.