Participation no longer decays....

Balthazzarr.1349

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Raymond Lukes.6305" said:

> > @"Traveller.7496" said:

> > Does it continue where you left off even if you log out? Pipping down is usually what I do before I log off.

>

> Yes if you log off or leave a WvW map it will save where you were. When you head back into WvW you'll start back where you left off.

Wicked! Thanks, that's really good for my occasional trips into WvW to gather points towards GoB or Ambrite Insects.

Appreciated change indeed. I'm on WvW just for the dailies, not an expert, so I didn't understand the reason why we had to stay afk (maybe even taking a spot for someone who wanted to join a full map) to don't waste our exp. I hoped in a change sooner or later (actually I thought about consuming all the exp the moment we left, but this is even better :) ). ty ty

> @"Urud.4925" said:

> Appreciated change indeed. I'm on WvW just for the dailies, not an expert, so I didn't understand the reason why we had to stay afk (maybe even taking a spot for someone who wanted to join a full map) to don't waste our exp. I hoped in a change sooner or later (actually I thought about consuming all the exp the moment we left, but this is even better :) ). ty ty

You still have to stay AFK to not "waste" T6->T3 pips without doing nothing, if getting rewards for doing nothing is what you want from WvW. You're not getting more or less pips by this change in itself, you're just skipping the 5-10m race to reach T3 to begin the pip tick and get the track reward increase for free, but since you dont get the first tick anyway... the pip gain is minimal. Just a little less annoying effort. **Pipping down hasnt changed at all.** I really dont understand why people keep claiming it has.

> @"Dawdler.8521" said:

> > @"Urud.4925" said:

> > Appreciated change indeed. I'm on WvW just for the dailies, not an expert, so I didn't understand the reason why we had to stay afk (maybe even taking a spot for someone who wanted to join a full map) to don't waste our exp. I hoped in a change sooner or later (actually I thought about consuming all the exp the moment we left, but this is even better :) ). ty ty

> You still have to stay AFK to not "waste" T6->T3 pips without doing nothing, if getting rewards for doing nothing is what you want from WvW. You're not getting more or less pips by this change in itself, you're just skipping the 5-10m race to reach T3 to begin the pip tick and get the track reward increase for free, but since you dont get the first tick anyway... the pip gain is minimal. Just a little less annoying effort. **Pipping down hasnt changed at all.** I really dont understand why people keep claiming it has.

You have it wrong. When you come back in at T6 you remain at T6. Once the timer tics and you start getting rewards you are still at T6. You don't start over at T3. That's why it HAS changed and you don't have to waste time standing in a spawn or OS pipping down.

> @"Balthazzarr.1349" said:

> > @"Dawdler.8521" said:

> > > @"Urud.4925" said:

> > > Appreciated change indeed. I'm on WvW just for the dailies, not an expert, so I didn't understand the reason why we had to stay afk (maybe even taking a spot for someone who wanted to join a full map) to don't waste our exp. I hoped in a change sooner or later (actually I thought about consuming all the exp the moment we left, but this is even better :) ). ty ty

> > You still have to stay AFK to not "waste" T6->T3 pips without doing nothing, if getting rewards for doing nothing is what you want from WvW. You're not getting more or less pips by this change in itself, you're just skipping the 5-10m race to reach T3 to begin the pip tick and get the track reward increase for free, but since you dont get the first tick anyway... the pip gain is minimal. Just a little less annoying effort. **Pipping down hasnt changed at all.** I really dont understand why people keep claiming it has.

>

> You have it wrong. When you come back in at T6 you remain at T6. Once the timer tics and you start getting rewards you are still at T6. You don't start over at T3. That's why it HAS changed and you don't have to waste time standing in a spawn or OS pipping down.

He's correct. You leave and your participation does not decline but you get **"NO PIPS"**. You have to remain in WvW to tick down for the rewards. AFK'ing can still be a thing.

> @"Kylden Ar.3724" said:

> Why would you "tick down" for rewards, then have to start over at T0 again the next day as opposed to starting back up at T6 unless your paint set was missing some core colors?

In my view you have to look at a player that doesn't WvW alot. Say some that come in just for the dailies. They can leave just right after a tick and will fall below T3 before the next one. Rewards are a thing for some.

> @"Kylden Ar.3724" said:

> Why would you "tick down" for rewards, then have to start over at T0 again the next day as opposed to starting back up at T6 unless your paint set was missing some core colors?

Look, it's real simple: To maximize pips you with minimum effort spent, you first get T6 playing normally. Then you AFK to T3. Then you can log off. Then when you log back on, you will have T3 - you get pips from the start, but less reward track points. Get to T6 as usual. Then AFK to T3. Repeat. And that's of course just the "final" AFK, if you keep doing a little activity you can AFK most of the time.

It's the *same bloody thing as before*, you just skip the T0->T3 part. Which is great for casual non-AFK WvWers - we will always log in with T6 now because we usually log like normal when done playing, with no AFK. But otherwise **nothing has changed**. Time spent ingame with participation == pips. Even when AFK.

Whether people *choose* to AFK less with this change is a whole other matter. I honestly doubt it. There's a reason why they AFK in the first place instead of playing.

> @"Dawdler.8521" said:

> > @"Urud.4925" said:

> > Appreciated change indeed. I'm on WvW just for the dailies, not an expert, so I didn't understand the reason why we had to stay afk (maybe even taking a spot for someone who wanted to join a full map) to don't waste our exp. I hoped in a change sooner or later (actually I thought about consuming all the exp the moment we left, but this is even better :) ). ty ty

> You still have to stay AFK to not "waste" T6->T3 pips without doing nothing, if getting rewards for doing nothing is what you want from WvW. You're not getting more or less pips by this change in itself, you're just skipping the 5-10m race to reach T3 to begin the pip tick and get the track reward increase for free, but since you dont get the first tick anyway... the pip gain is minimal. Just a little less annoying effort. **Pipping down hasnt changed at all.** I really dont understand why people keep claiming it has.

you can go afk on another map that has less activity to help out the zerg maps; but yeah, there is really no point in doing burndowns now :+1:

The ramp up is fine, you still need to do it upon weekly match reset

There were 2 painful points of the old system

* when you D/C and every map is full or you can only join on a map that barely has any activities at all, you may lose your participation

* you cannot be away from your keyboard for too long, it takes just over 16 minutes to lose T6 assuming you just scored a kill or capped an objective.

With this change, you can take regular breaks, which is healthy for the players; WoW's original honor system was a bad example, players suffered from burnouts

I wouldnt mind Anet reduce the auto afk kick from 15min down to 5min

> @"Loosmaster.8263" said:

> > @"Balthazzarr.1349" said:

> > > @"Dawdler.8521" said:

> > > > @"Urud.4925" said:

> > > > Appreciated change indeed. I'm on WvW just for the dailies, not an expert, so I didn't understand the reason why we had to stay afk (maybe even taking a spot for someone who wanted to join a full map) to don't waste our exp. I hoped in a change sooner or later (actually I thought about consuming all the exp the moment we left, but this is even better :) ). ty ty

> > > You still have to stay AFK to not "waste" T6->T3 pips without doing nothing, if getting rewards for doing nothing is what you want from WvW. You're not getting more or less pips by this change in itself, you're just skipping the 5-10m race to reach T3 to begin the pip tick and get the track reward increase for free, but since you dont get the first tick anyway... the pip gain is minimal. Just a little less annoying effort. **Pipping down hasnt changed at all.** I really dont understand why people keep claiming it has.

> >

> > You have it wrong. When you come back in at T6 you remain at T6. Once the timer tics and you start getting rewards you are still at T6. You don't start over at T3. That's why it HAS changed and you don't have to waste time standing in a spawn or OS pipping down.

>

> He's correct. You leave and your participation does not decline but you get **"NO PIPS"**. You have to remain in WvW to tick down for the rewards. AFK'ing can still be a thing.

lol of course you get no pips, until you come back in and the new tick starts... but at the very least it's much better because you pick up where you left off within a few minutes of coming back in. Which is better than coming in at zero and having to build it back up to level 3... for some people that can take just a few minutes.. for others much longer if they aren't as experienced as some of us.

> @"crepuscular.9047" said:

> > @"Dawdler.8521" said:

> > > @"Urud.4925" said:

> > > Appreciated change indeed. I'm on WvW just for the dailies, not an expert, so I didn't understand the reason why we had to stay afk (maybe even taking a spot for someone who wanted to join a full map) to don't waste our exp. I hoped in a change sooner or later (actually I thought about consuming all the exp the moment we left, but this is even better :) ). ty ty

> > You still have to stay AFK to not "waste" T6->T3 pips without doing nothing, if getting rewards for doing nothing is what you want from WvW. You're not getting more or less pips by this change in itself, you're just skipping the 5-10m race to reach T3 to begin the pip tick and get the track reward increase for free, but since you dont get the first tick anyway... the pip gain is minimal. Just a little less annoying effort. **Pipping down hasnt changed at all.** I really dont understand why people keep claiming it has.

>

> you can go afk on another map that has less activity to help out the zerg maps; but yeah, there is really no point in doing burndowns now :+1:

>

> The ramp up is fine, you still need to do it upon weekly match reset

>

> There were 2 painful points of the old system

> * when you D/C and every map is full or you can only join on a map that barely has any activities at all, you may lose your participation

> * you cannot be away from your keyboard for too long, it takes just over 16 minutes to lose T6 assuming you just scored a kill or capped an objective.

>

> With this change, you can take regular breaks, which is healthy for the players; WoW's original honor system was a bad example, players suffered from burnouts

>

> I wouldnt mind Anet reduce the auto afk kick from 15min down to 5min

The autokick in wvw is 10 minutes as far as I know... which is good. 5 minutes would be too short if I had to leave for a few minutes for a quick snack and bio break for example. 10-15 is good to me :)

> @"Loosmaster.8263" said:

> > > @"Dawdler.8521" said:

> > > > @"Urud.4925" said:

> > > > Appreciated change indeed. I'm on WvW just for the dailies, not an expert, so I didn't understand the reason why we had to stay afk (maybe even taking a spot for someone who wanted to join a full map) to don't waste our exp. I hoped in a change sooner or later (actually I thought about consuming all the exp the moment we left, but this is even better :) ). ty ty

> > > You still have to stay AFK to not "waste" T6->T3 pips without doing nothing, if getting rewards for doing nothing is what you want from WvW. You're not getting more or less pips by this change in itself, you're just skipping the 5-10m race to reach T3 to begin the pip tick and get the track reward increase for free, but since you dont get the first tick anyway... the pip gain is minimal. Just a little less annoying effort. **Pipping down hasnt changed at all.** I really dont understand why people keep claiming it has.

> >

> > You have it wrong. When you come back in at T6 you remain at T6. Once the timer tics and you start getting rewards you are still at T6. You don't start over at T3. That's why it HAS changed and you don't have to waste time standing in a spawn or OS pipping down.

>

> He's correct. You leave and your participation does not decline but you get **"NO PIPS"**. You have to remain in WvW to tick down for the rewards. AFK'ing can still be a thing.

Of course you get no pips since you aren’t in there. Your pip level stays the same until you come back. You lose nothing by leaving wvw at all, unlike before.

Standing around pipping down doesn’t benefit the players in any way now. But if you’re holding a spot in a bl just to pip down then you’re possibly keeping a player out if it’s queued.

> @"Dawdler.8521" said:

> > @"Kylden Ar.3724" said:

> > Why would you "tick down" for rewards, then have to start over at T0 again the next day as opposed to starting back up at T6 unless your paint set was missing some core colors?

> Look, it's real simple: To maximize pips you with minimum effort spent, you first get T6 playing normally. Then you AFK to T3. Then you can log off. Then when you log back on, you will have T3 - you get pips from the start, but less reward track points. Get to T6 as usual. Then AFK to T3. Repeat. And that's of course just the "final" AFK, if you keep doing a little activity you can AFK most of the time.

>

> It's the *same bloody thing as before*, you just skip the T0->T3 part. Which is great for casual non-AFK WvWers - we will always log in with T6 now because we usually log like normal when done playing, with no AFK. But otherwise **nothing has changed**. Time spent ingame with participation == pips. Even when AFK.

>

> Whether people *choose* to AFK less with this change is a whole other matter. I honestly doubt it. There's a reason why they AFK in the first place instead of playing.

>

Not true, I always pipped down before, and I will no longer do so. All I will do when I am done for the night is wait until the next pip hits, then leave immediately after, regardless of which level it was at. When I log back in, the *only* thing I will lose is whatever random amount happens to be on the clock at the moment I re-enter wvw (0-4:59). That's trivial to me, and well worth being able to get on with doing whatever I would rather be doing than pipping down.

This change will definitely alter my end-of-night behavior.

> @"Dawdler.8521" said:

> > @"Urud.4925" said:

As someone who does WvW just for the dailies, I never cared about the pips/Skirmish reward track. I rarely pass the silver chest in any case. I was just interested in the WvW reward tracks, as additional perks to the PvP reward track (where I play more). So I'm perfectly fine if with this change we don't waste the score for the WvW tracks but we keep wasting our pips. It's a way to stimulate ppl to play longer there if they care about WvW tickets/marks, but to don't encourage much the afk for casual, so it's fair. If I understood it correctly.

I think it is an ok compromise - of course there will be afk'ing still for either st pips [skirmish track] and rt [reward track], but it also gives a choice for a lot of those other people who just want to return where they left off. I think it has created a lot more better in/out traffic. It's a good compromise even though it will not get rid of afk completely. This is a step forward the way I see it.

> @"Balthazzarr.1349" said:

> Standing around pipping down doesn’t benefit the players in any way now. But if you’re holding a spot in a bl just to pip down then you’re possibly keeping a player out if it’s queued.

It still gets you pips for doing, how is that any different from before? Literally nothing has changed for the concept or act of pipping down while AFK, only how fast you start getting pips.

Honestly I'm starting to wonder if I'm playing another version of the game with a broken patch or something.

> @"Dawdler.8521" said:

> > Standing around pipping down doesn’t benefit the players in any way now. But if you’re holding a spot in a bl just to pip down then you’re possibly keeping a player out if it’s queued.

> It still gets you pips for doing, how is that any different from before? Literally nothing has changed for the concept or act of pipping down while AFK, only how fast you start getting pips.

>

> Honestly I'm starting to wonder if I'm playing another version of the game with a broken patch or something.

Nothing has changed. People will still afk pip down and get rewards, while restarting with T0 participation, as before. The change benefits wvwers in the sense that sometimes, you have 30 mins of time to play wvw and pretty often, you couldnt get all ticks (cause it would take 5-15 mins to build T3 participation). Now, if you leave wvw with T3-T6 participation, and come again for a short wvw season, you will get all ticks and rewards from them. Thats what matter to me, too.