How much longer until the next "No Downstate" event?

Mighty Cole.7849

> @"Hitman.5829" said:

> > @"Dawdler.8521" said:

> > TL;DR

> >

> > Downed state is a core mechanic of GW2 that makes the game unique. It adds a deeper tactical level to combat and promotes smart play instead of just overloading damage, forcing people to either CC ressers or stomp downed with the help of various available skills and proffesion unique mechanics. It gives players the capability of helping each other even when the skill level vary wildly between fighting groups, making combat more flexible instead of just being "I'm better than you therefor I win".

>

> HAHAHAHAHA "it adds a deeper tactical level to combat" the best joke I have heard so far in 2019.

> There is nothing tactical about 2+ people chasing you; if you manage to down one, then their teams res him back, and what is worst is if you want to secure the kill via stomp you need to be 3 seconds doing a stupid stomp animation and by the time it ends you are down and the enemy is up.

> Down state is a handicap for noobs that don't know how to play and that constantly die. Down state should only be available in PvE not in competitive game modes like WvW.

>

> [Down State is a handicap and it need to go!](https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/58208/down-state-handicapping-the-game-in-favor-of-the-serg-that-has-more-numbers-is-a-bad-design-game/p1)

>

>

yes fighting 1vs3+ people can be difficult and basically any mechanic they use can be called 'carry bad players'.

but ultimately gw2 combat is based on groups and not on 1 vs X. in a group fight, the better group will be able to use any mechanic at their disposal to a greater effect.

i enjoyed that week and wouldnt mind another of it, but good players within a group profit more from downedstate than bad players within a group.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Hitman.5829" said:

> > @"Dawdler.8521" said:

> > TL;DR

> >

> > Downed state is a core mechanic of GW2 that makes the game unique. It adds a deeper tactical level to combat and promotes smart play instead of just overloading damage, forcing people to either CC ressers or stomp downed with the help of various available skills and proffesion unique mechanics. It gives players the capability of helping each other even when the skill level vary wildly between fighting groups, making combat more flexible instead of just being "I'm better than you therefor I win".

>

> HAHAHAHAHA "it adds a deeper tactical level to combat" the best joke I have heard so far in 2019.

> There is nothing tactical about 2+ people chasing you; if you manage to down one, then their teams res him back, and what is worst is if you want to secure the kill via stomp you need to be 3 seconds doing a stupid stomp animation and by the time it ends you are down and the enemy is up.

> Down state is a handicap for noobs that don't know how to play and that constantly die. Down state should only be available in PvE not in competitive game modes like WvW.

>

> [Down State is a handicap and it need to go!](https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/58208/down-state-handicapping-the-game-in-favor-of-the-serg-that-has-more-numbers-is-a-bad-design-game/p1)

>

>

It's alright to not be able to play smart and use the skills available to the classes to secure stomps. Not everyone is good enough to fight against overwhelming odds. See, that's where this whole community part comes in. If you're not good enough to outweigh the enemy in a 1v2 or 1v3 etc scenario and see them res each other while you cant kill them, that means you are supposed to reach out to allies. Fight 2v2 or 2v3. Did they get reinforcement? Can you kill still kill them 2v4? 2v5? When do you need to go 3vX?

That's not being handicapped. That's playing WvW. But some people seems to be intent on turning WvW into some weird singleplayer fantasy on easy difficulty mode for enemies because otherwise it's too hard.

> @"Spartacus.3192" said:

> > @"LetoII.3782" said:

>

> > The primary benefactor of downstate isn't the better, it's the bigger.

>

> From a roaming perspective the PRIMARY benefactor of no downstate is HIGH burst stealth and/or ranged classes. That't it.

>

> If they bring back no downstate i for sure will not be playing my rev....i will bring out my hated (i hate it) DE and collect bags from the comfort of towers/keeps and never have to worry about leaving it to stomp.

>

Son if you were really roaming there'd be nobody there to res you.

> @"Spartacus.3192" said:

> > @"LetoII.3782" said:

>

> > The primary benefactor of downstate isn't the better, it's the bigger.

>

> From a roaming perspective the PRIMARY benefactor of no downstate is HIGH burst stealth and/or ranged classes. That't it.

>

> If they bring back no downstate i for sure will not be playing my rev....i will bring out my hated (i hate it) DE and collect bags from the comfort of towers/keeps and never have to worry about leaving it to stomp.

>

Imo, Soulbeast is problably better than Deadeye for that... You have much more room to mess up with all the sustain it have and the many ways of escaping... They may be not as annoying as that Silent Scope garbage, but they definetely are more deadly.

Oh, and Longbow reaches farther than rifle because of the way this game treat Arcing Projectiles. So it's even better if you intent to just sit in some wall and shot down some people.

> @"LetoII.3782" said:

> > @"Spartacus.3192" said:

> > > @"LetoII.3782" said:

> >

> > > The primary benefactor of downstate isn't the better, it's the bigger.

> >

> > From a roaming perspective the PRIMARY benefactor of no downstate is HIGH burst stealth and/or ranged classes. That't it.

> >

> > If they bring back no downstate i for sure will not be playing my rev....i will bring out my hated (i hate it) DE and collect bags from the comfort of towers/keeps and never have to worry about leaving it to stomp.

> >

>

> Son if you were really roaming there'd be nobody there to res you.

You missed my point. I am not talking about me getting ressed. There will not be a chance for my ENEMIES to res their friends so my kill rate will be significantly higher on my Deadeye than it will be on my Rev and i will be able to do it from the safety of my tower. But i find my DE boring as heck to play. Thats why no downstate benefits Soulbeast/DE the most.

> @"Jeknar.6184" said:

> > @"Spartacus.3192" said:

> > > @"LetoII.3782" said:

> >

> > > The primary benefactor of downstate isn't the better, it's the bigger.

> >

> > From a roaming perspective the PRIMARY benefactor of no downstate is HIGH burst stealth and/or ranged classes. That't it.

> >

> > If they bring back no downstate i for sure will not be playing my rev....i will bring out my hated (i hate it) DE and collect bags from the comfort of towers/keeps and never have to worry about leaving it to stomp.

> >

>

> Imo, Soulbeast is problably better than Deadeye for that... You have much more room to mess up with all the sustain it have and the many ways of escaping... They may be not as annoying as that Silent Scope garbage, but they definetely are more deadly.

>

> Oh, and Longbow reaches farther than rifle because of the way this game treat Arcing Projectiles. So it's even better if you intent to just sit in some wall and shot down some people.

Agreed i just haven't played my ranger in forever. I have the soulbeast elite unlocked but never played it. I have played DE though.

> @"Dawdler.8521" said:

> > @"Hitman.5829" said:

> > > @"Dawdler.8521" said:

> > > TL;DR

> > >

> > > Downed state is a core mechanic of GW2 that makes the game unique. It adds a deeper tactical level to combat and promotes smart play instead of just overloading damage, forcing people to either CC ressers or stomp downed with the help of various available skills and proffesion unique mechanics. It gives players the capability of helping each other even when the skill level vary wildly between fighting groups, making combat more flexible instead of just being "I'm better than you therefor I win".

> >

> > HAHAHAHAHA "it adds a deeper tactical level to combat" the best joke I have heard so far in 2019.

> > There is nothing tactical about 2+ people chasing you; if you manage to down one, then their teams res him back, and what is worst is if you want to secure the kill via stomp you need to be 3 seconds doing a stupid stomp animation and by the time it ends you are down and the enemy is up.

> > Down state is a handicap for noobs that don't know how to play and that constantly die. Down state should only be available in PvE not in competitive game modes like WvW.

> >

> > [Down State is a handicap and it need to go!](https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/58208/down-state-handicapping-the-game-in-favor-of-the-serg-that-has-more-numbers-is-a-bad-design-game/p1)

> >

> >

> It's alright to not be able to play smart and use the skills available to the classes to secure stomps. Not everyone is good enough to fight against overwhelming odds. See, that's where this whole community part comes in. If you're not good enough to outweigh the enemy in a 1v2 or 1v3 etc scenario and see them res each other while you cant kill them, that means you are supposed to reach out to allies. Fight 2v2 or 2v3. Did they get reinforcement? Can you kill still kill them 2v4? 2v5? When do you need to go 3vX?

>

> That's not being handicapped. That's playing WvW. But some people seems to be intent on turning WvW into some weird singleplayer fantasy on easy difficulty mode for enemies because otherwise it's too hard.

You know that not every class has safestomps? And that a guard or 2 ppl rezz faster than the stomp animation? It has nothing to do with playing smart when you manage to down someone and there are ppl rdy to rezz right there.

Also your "reaching out to allies" is SUCH a great tipp, geez why did i never had that idea... I must be kitten. No wait, my servers has only few roamers and i play at times where most ppl are sleeping anyways, so im basically alone on a map and get 0 response when i call an attack, even if our t3 structures are attacked. When ppl manage to get downed in a 1v2 or 1v3 they deserve to die and go back to spawn.

> @"RedShark.9548" said:

> You know that not every class has safestomps? And that a guard or 2 ppl rezz faster than the stomp animation? It has nothing to do with playing smart when you manage to down someone and there are ppl rdy to rezz right there.

And not every class has stealth. AoE condi cleanse. CC. AoE healing. Teleports. Various boons. Portals. Barriers. Reflects. More. It's no different from stomping skills. You pick a class for a *reason* and it's not a one-class-one-build-has-everything deal. It's not supposed to be. Some classes are better at it, some classes are worse at it, yes. **That's the point of a class system**.

Trying to equate your specific situations of being unmanned to how they handle downed state is pointless.

Some players are constantly complaining about "OP" stuff and "nerf this and that", yet you want to encourage more 1 shot and "OP' builds weeks that will just bring more complaints to the forum...

This mode needs less "gimmicks", and more lasting attention that is positive. Changes should be made to grow this game mode and increase overall participation, not repel players and cause unnecessary division.

> @"Dawdler.8521" said:

> > @"RedShark.9548" said:

> > You know that not every class has safestomps? And that a guard or 2 ppl rezz faster than the stomp animation? It has nothing to do with playing smart when you manage to down someone and there are ppl rdy to rezz right there.

> And not every class has stealth. AoE condi cleanse. CC. AoE healing. Teleports. Various boons. Portals. Barriers. Reflects. More. It's no different from stomping skills. You pick a class for a *reason* and it's not a one-class-one-build-has-everything deal. It's not supposed to be. Some classes are better at it, some classes are worse at it, yes. **That's the point of a class system**.

>

> Trying to equate your specific situations of being unmanned to how they handle downed state is pointless.

I know that each class is different but you acted like ppl that dont know how to safestomp are not intelligent enough, and that in quite the condescending way imo.

Now i know i could change class to get a safer stomp (which doesnt change the fact that rezz is stilk faster than the stomp anyways lol?)

But i dont want to change my class, because i have even less fun on others, so i want this event to shake up some things to not have that problem atleast for one week now and then, im not asking for a permanent change.

this forces ppl to change builds and playstyles, which is in my opinion good, because a stale game is a bad game. Ppl complaining about oneshots by single opponents might want to change their builds to a bit more defensive traits and armor.

> @"Swagger.1459" said:

> Some players are constantly complaining about "OP" stuff and "nerf this and that", yet you want to encourage more 1 shot and "OP' builds weeks that will just bring more complaints to the forum...

>

> This mode needs less "gimmicks", and more lasting attention that is positive. Changes should be made to grow this game mode and increase overall participation, not repel players and cause unnecessary division.

>

I agree and i'd like to see the downstate gimmick removed from wvw.

> @"oOStaticOo.9467" said:

> > @"Turk.5460" said:

> > > @"Nimon.7840" said:

> > > I hope it's not going to come until freaking onehit deadeye is nerfed to the ground

> >

> > How many people even play that? Seriously, I see a 1-hit backstab DE less than once a month...

>

> Bring back No Downed State and you'll see them in droves again.

Didn't see any more that usual during the last down state event, why are we dragging up the same arguments people made last time before the event even started? Literally the only difference I saw was slightly less staff eles in zergs and that wasn't due to deadeyes, it was due to soulbeasts enjoying watching the little kittens panic when they realized they couldn't vapor form back to safety anymore.

People came back to the game because of the no down state event as they have stated in this thread. Friends of mine LEFT the game when it ended because theyd had so much fun and couldn't face dealing with stupid gimmick mechanics again. And no they weren't all thieves or rangers....

But hey nerf thieves!

> @"Celsith.2753" said:

> > @"oOStaticOo.9467" said:

> > > @"Turk.5460" said:

> > > > @"Nimon.7840" said:

> > > > I hope it's not going to come until freaking onehit deadeye is nerfed to the ground

> > >

> > > How many people even play that? Seriously, I see a 1-hit backstab DE less than once a month...

> >

> > Bring back No Downed State and you'll see them in droves again.

>

> Didn't see any more that usual during the last down state event, why are we dragging up the same arguments people made last time before the event even started? Literally the only difference I saw was slightly less staff eles in zergs and that wasn't due to deadeyes, it was due to soulbeasts enjoying watching the little kittens panic when they realized they couldn't vapor form back to safety anymore.

>

> People came back to the game because of the no down state event as they have stated in this thread. Friends of mine LEFT the game when it ended because theyd had so much fun and couldn't face dealing with stupid gimmick mechanics again. And no they weren't all thieves or rangers....

>

> But hey nerf thieves!

Only I did see more Thieves and Mesmers during that event. So don't try to tell me that that didn't happen, because it did. With downstate people have more of a chance of being rezzed or even reviving themselves off of a kill. Without it it encourages more Thieves and Mesmers to gank people from out of nowhere because then they have no ability to fight back after they go down. Only reason why more people came back was because of the easier kills. They left because it took more effort to kill somebody than they were willing to put out.

>

> Only I did see more Thieves and Mesmers during that event. So don't try to tell me that that didn't happen, because it did. With downstate people have more of a chance of being rezzed or even reviving themselves off of a kill. Without it it encourages more Thieves and Mesmers to gank people from out of nowhere because then they have no ability to fight back after they go down. Only reason why more people came back was because of the easier kills. They left because it took more effort to kill somebody than they were willing to put out.

You saw more because you were specifically expecting it and were looking for them. It's the same as when you buy a new car and suddenly see a load of them around.

I play both 'gank' and 'zerg' and as i'm always looking for pick regardless of my class I noticed no difference.

> @"Celsith.2753" said:

> >

> > Only I did see more Thieves and Mesmers during that event. So don't try to tell me that that didn't happen, because it did. With downstate people have more of a chance of being rezzed or even reviving themselves off of a kill. Without it it encourages more Thieves and Mesmers to gank people from out of nowhere because then they have no ability to fight back after they go down. Only reason why more people came back was because of the easier kills. They left because it took more effort to kill somebody than they were willing to put out.

>

> You saw more because you were specifically expecting it and were looking for them. It's the same as when you buy a new car and suddenly see a load of them around.

> I play both 'gank' and 'zerg' and as i'm always looking for pick regardless of my class I noticed no difference.

Once again, you are assuming for me. I saw more because there were more. Not because I was specifically looking for them. I saw several groups of Thieves and Mesmers running around outside of keeps ganking people more than I usually do on a normal day. I saw more Thieves camping camps to insta-kill people trying to flip camps or recapture them for their side. Not because I was looking for them, I was doing what I normally do in WvW and most of the time I was with a zerg. I couldn't tell you how many times map chat and team chat was flooded with warnings about Thieves or Mesmers here or there for people to look out for. Just stop. You have no idea what I saw or didn't see and cannot tell me what I saw or didn't.

> > @"Celsith.2753" said:

> > > @"oOStaticOo.9467" said:

> Once again, you are assuming for me. I saw more because there were more. Not because I was specifically looking for them. I saw several groups of Thieves and Mesmers running around outside of keeps ganking people more than I usually do on a normal day. I saw more Thieves camping camps to insta-kill people trying to flip camps or recapture them for their side. Not because I was looking for them, I was doing what I normally do in WvW and most of the time I was with a zerg. I couldn't tell you how many times map chat and team chat was flooded with warnings about Thieves or Mesmers here or there for people to look out for. Just stop. You have no idea what I saw or didn't see and cannot tell me what I saw or didn't.

No, i'm assuming your brain works like every other humans brain and is centered around pattern recognition. You expect something, you see it.

> @"Mighty Cole.7849" said:

> How about we compromise. It seems like a lot of folks really depend on downstate and some benefit from not having it. So, how about having a "No Revival" week. You have downstate but others can't revive you while you're down. Will that work? :smiley:

add no Rally too

> @"Celsith.2753" said:

> > > @"Celsith.2753" said:

> > > > @"oOStaticOo.9467" said:

> > Once again, you are assuming for me. I saw more because there were more. Not because I was specifically looking for them. I saw several groups of Thieves and Mesmers running around outside of keeps ganking people more than I usually do on a normal day. I saw more Thieves camping camps to insta-kill people trying to flip camps or recapture them for their side. Not because I was looking for them, I was doing what I normally do in WvW and most of the time I was with a zerg. I couldn't tell you how many times map chat and team chat was flooded with warnings about Thieves or Mesmers here or there for people to look out for. Just stop. You have no idea what I saw or didn't see and cannot tell me what I saw or didn't.

>

> No, i'm assuming your brain works like every other humans brain and is centered around pattern recognition. You expect something, you see it.

Which doesnt at all apply to what someone expecting the "downstate gimmick" to go away would see, I assume?

Either way, 1 week isnt nearly enough to see a real shift in the meta. Most in my guild thought it was great the first half of the week - the second half... not so much. We just wanted it to end. Because then you really started to see the effects of it. Smallscale turned from exciting skirmishes to gank parties and then the fight was over before it even began. Large scale went from long battles to quick one pushes and that was the end of that fight. When zergs came back it was shorter but more fights which was good in the short run, unfortunetly most didnt - instead the churn just turned up a notch and people left quicker, ending up in even more unbalanced one pushes and zergs leaving quicker.

The winners probably had a great time though.