Why.... [MAJOR SPOILERS]

Arden.7480

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> I know the next episode is already written and LS5's script is already done (or mostly done). I know there are plenty of lore-reasonable mechanics that would allow Aurene to return to the story. Still, I hope that we haven't gone through all that emotional tumult only to find out that death isn't death.

They won't bring her back, as they won't Blish... They wrote too good story to just ressurect her and Blish.

Playing on emotions and then just: "Guys I'm back!"

I knew that the Commander will lead to the failure after I heard his plan, it was amazing tho, but after watching the vision, he should be more wise.

Everyone counted on the Commander, but even the vision showed he won't succeed.

I thought he would be: I saw the future, but every single one is a failure, because we go with Tyrian forces only.

Now I am completely sure the Gods will come back - absolutely sure 10000%

They are our only hope now, Aurene is dead and we have to deal with it. It was her fate to die.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Arden.7480" said:

> Why did you kill her?

>

> Everything is pointless now... Everything :'(

>

>

> The Commander led Tyria to destruction, we are doomed...

>

> When I left the instance I was only repeating: holy ----

>

> I still can't process it, and I completed it 3 hrs ago... My god...

>

> Aurene's vision made me cry, but this... devastated me... Now I need to go to psychologist.

She's not dead, half of Kralk's head was Aurene-branded! The real twist is going to be going into Kralk's mind or something and helping Aurene fight to take over. Maybe.

> @"TheOrlyFactor.8341" said:

> >! I said this before in another thread but I'm gonna repeat it here: I'm glad this happened because maybe now we can focus on a way to save Tyria that doesn't involve Dragons AT ALL. I was always a little peeved at the 180 that was done in LWS3 where we had to stop killing Dragons unless we replaced them. It never made sense to me that the thing to do was to replace them with _another Dragon_ since I believe there's potential for even benevolent Dragons like Aurene, Vlast, and Glint to change given enough time and magic consumption.

> >!

> >! It also wouldn't have felt right to kill Kralkatorrik without Zojja there (not to mention outright disrespectful to her character). It wouldn't be a real Destiny's Edge vs. Kralkatorrik rematch without her seeing as Kralkatorrik killed her mentor, Snaff. In my opinion, she deserves to be there in some capacity when we do eventually skewer the Crystal Dragon.

> >!

> >! Finally, it's about time the Commander and Dragon's Watch get knocked down a peg. A good, significant peg. I like this current trend with the story that's been going on since about late LWS3, really highlighting that they're (especially the Commander) doing as much harm to Tyria as Kralkatorrik, as Palawa Joko, as Balthazar, as Mordremoth, as Zhaitan. Their haste to stop catastrophe after catastrophe and the hastiness involved in their actions has in turn brought about catastrophic results of their own. I'll admit that I'm biased because I no longer see the PC as my character anymore, but as another NPC. However, based on my interpretation of how the story has gone, the Commander and Dragon's Watch have jumped into action too many times, too fast without a contingency plan to fall back on. That lack of a contingency plan in their actions has, in my opinion, brought us to this point.

> >!

> >! While others have expressed a loss of hope with the end of this Episode, I have more hope than ever. Hope that, as I said before, Tyria can finally start moving toward a solution that involves exactly zero Dragons. Hope that the Commander and Dragon's Watch will take more time with their actions/plans in order to keep Tyria from plunging further into chaos. I could be wrong and Anet may throw us a curve ball in the next episode or side story that brings Aurene/Glint/Vlast back or they may very well do another PC/DW haste move that actually pays off. (I mean, they keep finding ways to bring Eir back into the story somehow even as a ghost despite her being kebab'd in HoT.) However, my interpretation of what happened with this episode is that now is the time to find a way for Tyria to survive and even thrive without any Dragons.

>

> tl;dr - Excellent story, team. Best Living World Episode ever, in my opinion.

I never said I didn't like it. The fact that I cared at all means that this was one of the best episodes ever made.

The feeling of hopelessness was also just temporary.

Let's get deepdown now. No one is safe in GW2. not the player, nor the npcs. Everyone and everything will eventually die.

Arena Net one-up'd Game of Thrones on us with this last chapter.

Baby dragon: The last hope for Tyria to balance magic and create peace at the same time. Squashed before our eyes. Not all heroes win, not all things work out.

....... I hate myself for typing that.. THEY KILLED OUR BABYYY!! DX

They better make it so she exists in the Mists like Glint had for so long. QAQ

But still.. we saw her grow...

Everyone important to the story we've lost:

1. Sieran/Forgal/Tybalt

2. Belinda(Marjory's littlesister)

3. Eir

4. Faolain(who really cares?)

5. Trahearne

6. Vlast

7. Blish

8. Taimi(dying)

and

9. Aurene.

That is a long list.. FUUUCK. We should have worked with Joko. QnQ He'd have Aurene back by the snap of his fingers.

Honest question, why do any of you care. I mean guild wars 2 basically has an afterlife you can walk into, you can basically hop through a portal and see aurene again. I mean look at glint, or any of the ghosts, or undead of which there are basically more dead characters than living. Honestly death has about as much consequence right now as it does in dragonball z, I really doubt anyones gone,

> @"Randulf.7614" said:

> She's been detrimental to the direction of the plot in my opinion. I'm very glad she's gone (after a lacklustre episode I actually thumbs'ed up this "twist") since I've heavily disliked her and the use of her since her introduction. Sadly though, it is unlikely to be the last of her since Glint's side discussion is almost certainly linked into her death and we already know from our PoF story that death is meaningless and cheap in the GW2 Universe now.

>

> _"We are in the Endgame now"...._

>

>

Is death meaningless in the gw2 universe? I mean we went to some big extend to ressurect ourselves and we havent seen that with no other character that isnt a powerful litch or smth in the lore. Outside of that tho you can say death was forever meaningless since we could never die from the start of the game.

> @"Gambit.9501" said:

> > @"Jimbru.6014" said:

> > Maybe one day as GW2 is fading into the sunset, ANet will look back on all this and realize something that's very important to the vast majority of people in real life: the good guys should win. And in a game where we're supposed to be playing world saving heroes, they should do with decisively and without tragedy at every turn. From my military service, I know all too well that victory often has its price to be paid. But this is a GAME. Let us have fun. Let us have glory. Let heroes be heroes. The world is tragic enough without bringing the horror into where most players go as an escape. You did this wrong, ANet. You did this just straight up wrong.

>

> Honestly? Just go play a different game if that's what you're honestly looking for. Ever since the days of Scarlet, GW2 has loved injecting its existential dread at the end of episodes. I'm not saying this as an excuse, i'm saying this as a simple matter of fact.

Yeah most seasons ended with a rather bitter ending. Se3 sort of went for the more upbeat route of us actually killing lazarus the dire but it still had the danger of balthazar looming in the distance.

#Aurene will commune with the Dream aka Pale Tree.

That's why Caithe was that important in this episode: opened a new chapter in Sylvari's story. Her flowers faded away, but she stayed in this new form, began new Sylvari's creation and Aurene will be the Master of Dream.

The Grove will be reshaped together with Tyria.

> @"Arden.7480" said:

> > @"TrinitySK.6713" said:

> > Feel ya mate but to give up everything now would be a waste of not only Aurene's life, but of Tyria and everyone in it! The fight continues, till the last man falls!

>

> Glint, Snaff, Blish now Aurene... And so many other countless lives... There is no hope without Aurene...

I don't need hope, all I need is a nice axe and a dragon with a head big enough to take it!

I had no words. But I cannot be silent.

I loved Aurene to death, and I would have sacrificed myself for her if that mean she would live and fulfill her destiny. I scoured Tyria just to bring her little gifts when she was a hatchling. I was so proud of her growing into her own, protecting people. I was hurting when she was hurt. I was terrified when she showed us the vision of her death. I scoured Elona just to bring her gifts from all the people she helped, to make her feel better, to show her that she is loved by all the people she met...

And now she will never get to see her new nest me and Taimi have made for her in the Sun's Refuge.

She was our child, my child. And now she's dead... my sweet, beautiful girl who had saved me so many times. I knew that it happened when I came to after Kralkatorrik's attack. I knew it the moment she did it, I knew it when I heard Taimi scream like a wounded animal, the sound echoing off the crystals. I knew it when Braham couldn't summon the words. But I couldn't believe it until I saw my amazing, brave, sweet Aurene impaled on the Brand spikes, just like in the vision.

She knew that she will die, every time, in every timeline, no matter what we do, and yet she still did it. She did it because she loved us... and because we have told her it will be alright.

But it won't...

The one last glimmer of hope I have is that we didn't get to see the whole story. When we were in Glint's lair, Caithe told us we've spent two days in the trials. But it definitely wasn't two days for us. But there was a part where Glint sent us and Aurene different ways. I'm guessing that when we stepped through the portal we were put in some sort of stasis while Glint and Aurene talked, for _two days_. And after that she was bigger, and stronger, and more confident in her abilities then ever. We don't know what they talked about... but maybe Glint told her something about life after death. About Mists. About... about trusting and protecting those you love, no matter the cost.

It doesn't make her death any less painful. I cried myself to sleep last night, and I feel a throbbing emptiness in my chest. The night is as dark as it ever was, and we had gone astray. Shadows fall, and we cannot find the way...

> @"Moonless.9470" said:

> I had no words. But I cannot be silent.

>

> I loved Aurene to death, and I would have sacrificed myself for her if that mean she would live and fulfill her destiny. I scoured Tyria just to bring her little gifts when she was a hatchling. I was so proud of her growing into her own, protecting people. I was hurting when she was hurt. I was terrified when she showed us the vision of her death. I scoured Elona just to bring her gifts from all the people she helped, to make her feel better, to show her that she is loved by all the people she met...

> And now she will never get to see her new nest me and Taimi have made for her in the Sun's Refuge.

>

> She was our child, my child. And now she's dead... my sweet, beautiful girl who had saved me so many times. I knew that it happened when I came to after Kralkatorrik's attack. I knew it the moment she did it, I knew it when I heard Taimi scream like a wounded animal, the sound echoing off the crystals. I knew it when Braham couldn't summon the words. But I couldn't believe it until I saw my amazing, brave, sweet Aurene impaled on the Brand spikes, just like in the vision.

> She knew that she will die, every time, in every timeline, no matter what we do, and yet she still did it. She did it because she loved us... and because we have told her it will be alright.

>

> But it won't...

>

> The one last glimmer of hope I have is that we didn't get to see the whole story. When we were in Glint's lair, Caithe told us we've spent two days in the trials. But it definitely wasn't two days for us. But there was a part where Glint sent us and Aurene different ways. I'm guessing that when we stepped through the portal we were put in some sort of stasis while Glint and Aurene talked, for _two days_. And after that she was bigger, and stronger, and more confident in her abilities then ever. We don't know what they talked about... but maybe Glint told her something about life after death. About Mists. About... about trusting and protecting those you love, no matter the cost.

>

> It doesn't make her death any less painful. I cried myself to sleep last night, and I feel a throbbing emptiness in my chest. The night is as dark as it ever was, and we had gone astray. Shadows fall, and we cannot find the way...

:'(

As someone who is very close to the concept of death... a different point of view:

While tragic and horrifying, the death of a major or even minor hero in any story often symbolizes change... transformation. Eir's passing hardened and transformed Braham. Trahearne's passing(yes my friends know my personal take on him) in a way hardens the commander. in both cases, Braham and the commander changed their mentality only very slightly at first, but then as tragedy after tragedy fell, and challenge after challenge arose anew, Both "used" the loss of their companions as a sort of "fuel" that would transform them into the people they are now. we see a loss at face value: it is a loss. it is our nature to do so. our connection to someone or something that has died is what fuels our sense of loss and grief... the notion that they will never be seen or heard from or experienced again in the capacity in which we knew them. While this episode delivered us a very specific and tragic loss, I can only imagine the other countless "lives" that were lost during the episode that we did not notice. I can also only imagine and sort of empathize with what the families and allies of the lost must have had to experience, come to terms with, and then eventually, as all humans do, recover from... but transformed. Death is not final, neither by scientific terms or belief structure. there's always a change happening... a transformation. so... To the developers, Kudos on the episode. Yes... something pretty big and bad happened... but I personally wanna thank you for having it happen and i eagerly anticipate how that transforms what is next to come.

As i say earlier in the topic, more the time pass, more i believe that she isn't dead. She is in the mist, or her spirit in a cristal, on she is in the sanctuary of brill or other place.

She eat joko, maybe she has some "new power". She has the power transmitted by brill who is secret for us. Or maybe as some people say, it's the dream of kraka.

We protect her egg, learn her to be a good dragon, she saves so many times and many people! She help us with balthazar.

It's a powerfull ending it's true, but i still believe that there is something that we don't know.

Caithe say "she is not here", it's doesn't mean that she is death. Her spirit only!

Keep believe in Aurene!

I'm a librarian. My bachelor degree is in English Literature. I get that sometimes these things happen in stories. I don't necessarily _like_ it, but I _get_ it. I'm with those who stopped, stunned, unaware that I could still *move* for several minutes, and that was very well done, to give us that experience of needing to collect ourselves after such a mighty blow, unsure if we had another step within us. I am likewise with those who stood with my character's face to the door from the Forge for several more minutes after the instance ended, just to process the trauma.

My main, on the other hand, well, let's just say that he's kind of stubborn, and I seem to have failed to explain a children's toy to him adequately, so he insists that I deliver the following letter:

> 1331 AE

> Salma District, Divinity's Reach

>

> To the Companions of Anet:

>

> It has come to my attention that you bear responsibility for recent occurrences in Tyria. Despite my player’s protests regarding something referred to as “the fourth wall,” I must insist on contacting you directly.

>

> In questioning my player to better understand your world, I have learned of a thing similar to what we of Tyria would call “caltrops,” though I wonder anew what sort of monsters you must be that my player indicates that you allow children to play with weapons of war such as these.

>

> Still, in seeking a suitably severe curse for your actions, I write to inform you that I hate you all, and sincerely wish that each of you should step on a Lego.

>

> In service to the Queen and to Tyria,

> Jacques Lesanges, Commander of the Pact (Ret.)

> Champion of the Dragon Aurene

>

> @"Shadowmoon.7986" said:

> Kralk showeed that he has consumed those three in the cut scene where braham "blocks" the beam. There good reason not to show Joko's Immortal power, it removes all tension from the story. This reminds of the the prophecy from Harry potter, in which ironically two contradictory outcome both come true. We had two prophecies, that Kralk dies, and that Aurene dies. This theory allows both to come true. Remember Anet heavily recycles popular tropes in their stories.

> Why have Kralk show that he has absorbed Zhaitah, Mordenmoth and Balthazar, when it does nothing for the story, unless it is indirect hint to remind you dragon absorbs the power of what they consume? This is the type of hints anet like to do, remember Lazerus using fire magic to hint Balth, or the name of the jungle dragon being a random skill from subject alpha in CoE.

As far as foreshadowing, they also had a random Awakened sylvari in the last instance, to show that Awakening magic works on dragon minions as well as flesh and blood creatures.

Tbh guys. I expected this in the moment we decided to fight Kralk on LWS away from everything just popped new map xD I mean come on. We already killed our pre boss which was Joko. There is always pre boss in lws and then main boss in Expansion. Besides who in their sane mind would let go of such.. eh hrem ..EARNSOME possibility like releasing new expansion where you finish it all off best with another set of loose ends and backdoors as always :D <3 i love it. ANd never forgetti Caithe is now lets say still living part of Aurene. If i may suggest so i think she will be used either in ressurection process xD Aurene is gonna be a vegetable (pun intended) or she is gonna lets say be a key ingredient (again xD ) in finishing off this dragon business. Not to mention I very much liked the way it was made. I knew how it is gonna end but i liked the way it was done. Rly nice. Kind of reminded me of old days when i played Dragons age xD but this was better. And one more thing. PLEASE if you can fix those fall areas. If a thief fights the Klark and he plays lets say d/d he keeps falling down from every edge. It is unberable. Also putting a huge waging gap right in front of the firing crystal .... (.-.) like what is the fastest way to a dragon you just made to bleed on the edge IN FRONT of you then jumping over railling and goinf FORWARD for it??

Oh right.. A gap... It took me whole two minutes to realize i am allowed to use mounts xD i thought they were turned off as they were before when we were in Auditorium.

Anyway great job thank you. Make a good expansion AND SOON

Also obligatory rant: BUFF CODI ON THIEF.

Thank you again :) <3

> @"Arden.7480" said:

> > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > I know the next episode is already written and LS5's script is already done (or mostly done). I know there are plenty of lore-reasonable mechanics that would allow Aurene to return to the story. Still, I hope that we haven't gone through all that emotional tumult only to find out that death isn't death.

>

> They won't bring her back, as they won't Blish... They wrote too good story to just ressurect her and Blish.

Blish was not important, except to people in the story. Aurene is Kraalkatorik's replacement. We don't kill him, the world ends. We kill him with her dead, the world ends. Technically, our bond with her is powering some of our masteries. Unless they're shutting GW2 down in style, she's got slightly less plot armor than the Commander.

Don't get me wrong, I definitely got the feels at the end, but not as much as some people -- I just think the story has been building up to this all season (even as early as PoF), and already has a solid trajectory that aims past this. It isn't a random death that exists solely to up the stakes or get some feels, like Eir's death, but a necessary step to where we have to go. I felt less bad about Aurene being (in all likelihood, temporarily) dead, and more empathetically sad for the other living people in the scene.

Still, waiting for the next episode is going to be... jarring. Normally, you can easily see the RL gap and in-world gap working the same way, but the way they left it, the world ends in a day or two, and everywhere in Tyria should be feeling the effects. I guess it's possible that Kraalkatorik was hurt enough to want to take a breather and recover on his fancy purple mountain? But it would be nice to get a letter or something to that effect.

Just some theorys. Spoilers inside spoiler.

I swear,either season 5 or episode 6 of season 4 will include our commander breaking down.First time I heard them say "I dont know." like that. So.... possible outcomes: 1) Aurene is not completely dead. Maybe the special "gift"to Aurene was to help her understand how dragons work after death (After all,she spooked when she saw those visions of herself dying over and over again). Maybe its the "just because a dragon dies does not mean they are completely dead" thing. Did Kalkatoric eat Aurenes energy? Glints body is dead but she is contacting us...maybe that is part of what will happen with Aurene. Her physical body is dead, but not her mind. Maybe it got transferred to... (stares at Caithe). And instead of dragon keeping up the natural balance, Caithe will just have to power up some crystals with the rest of Aurenes consciousness/energy. As for our commanders..they need a break. And Taimi as well. This is her second friend that died in this season.... not to mention her illness started to spread again. Enjoy your life little one! Gotta love how games can break you. Holy shit. (Blish died for...nothing... ._. sniff ) I just got over my RDR2 depression now GW2 strikes me. Darn it -.- But gotta love the idea of Kasmeer and her girlfriendo showing up in next episode because omfg XD. Everyone is broken at this point. The troops we were cheering up (now even the commander is broken...), Aurene is "dead"/crystallized, our asura friends will be... messed up after this, Rythlock and Rox MAY be able to be somewhat "normal", Canach will....well.... gamble away his problems? At this point.... don't think many people will be okay. On any level. I swear Kalkatoric came just to show us how hopeless we are. As soon he turned his head toward us I was like "im doomed."

I am sure Aurene is "alive"just in another....kind of form. Or maybe Aurene transfered her conciousness/soul over into Kalks body,and Caithe lost the connection because she is connected to her old form. I can ALWAYS hope.

( I want Kalkatoric as my mount/pet. THAT would be awesome omg :D just going into branded area and nuking EVERYTHING >:D)

Unortunately I am kind of afraid for the last episode of this season. Do I even wanna know WHAT will happen to us at this point XD (of course yes! But the feels man D: ) There is no way we can continue with "We can win if we strike now" attitude... or have any hope left. XD

> @"novaspire.9801" said:

> Honest question, why do any of you care. I mean guild wars 2 basically has an afterlife you can walk into, you can basically hop through a portal and see aurene again. I mean look at glint, or any of the ghosts, or undead of which there are basically more dead characters than living. Honestly death has about as much consequence right now as it does in dragonball z, I really doubt anyones gone,

As literally mentioned in this episode, Kralkatorrik has started devouring said afterlife.