Why should I pay for the story, when I already have bought both expansions?

You may not have researched the cost of past Living World Seasons. Bundles are cheaper than purchasing individual Episodes, and can be acquired at no cost.

Regardless, you seem convinced that Steam offers content you prefer. Enjoy the content you have purchased...or not; it's up to you.

Policy/business model is unlikely to change here.

Good luck.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think a bundle option when you buy the expansion would be a good thing. I also think that not having any of the LW chapters is not in any way a deterrent to enjoy the game. I have enjoyed some, some I only did to get access to the map (and then rarely if ever return to that map). So if you really want brain dead farming get the istan LW (even with the chest nerf you get champ bags out the ears). If you want the beetle get that LW etc.

> @"MoriMoriMori.5349" said:

> @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" , this is really strange situation. As if anything else it sort of punishes new players for being late to the fest, for no reason. That's when other games, like Eve Online, make wise decision to boost their newcomers instead, providing them extra tools so they would develop their characters at faster speed and would be able to join everybody else sooner. Doesn't seem like very well-thought decision.

>

GuildWars2 does exactly that. With each expansion you also get a free level 80 boost item that **boosts** your newbie character to maximum level instantly, provides you with a full set of armor and weapons as well as other goodies so that they are able to **join everybody else sooner.** Like, instantly. They can even use the mounts which were inexistant for the first 5 years of the game to finish all the old content way faster than all the players who did not have them. If you choose to do so, boosting your char to max level and get a raptor mount to complete the old content in a fraction of the time is the first thing you can do when buying the game.

> > @"sokeenoppa.5384" said:

> > You dont have to buy every lws at the same time. Just buy one episode with ingame gold and play it, after a while buy a second one and so on.

>

> At that price point I'll never buy it personally, as it just feels like a total robbery. I can name a dozen games I can buy at Steam for 2-3 times less money, which can offer story experience times better than LW seasons of GW2, for example. And I can assure you most of other people from around here will think the same.

Then neither you nor those other people could be considered ArenaNet's target audience. It is understandable how unfair pricing may feel depending on where you are from but that is how all MMORPGs, not unlike purchasing any other luxury article, work in the end. They have to cover their actual cost of development rather than a fictitious one that is greatly lowered to fits their customers' real income.

Though, I wonder why you do not play one of those many cheap games you can so easily think of if they already fit your preferences so much more than Guild Wars 2 does. Unless, of course, they do not actually compare in quality, content or gameplay which would make bringing up their far cheaper price a silly thing to do.

One wouldn't come up to BMW to tell them to lower their prices to the level of Dacia either. Their is obviously a huge difference in quality amongst other things. It is up to you to decide which one fits your own needs. Unless you found this one golden Dacia that easily equals far more expensive cars which makes me wonder why you don't just drive that one in the first place.

Shake my head seein post like this.

I started this game november 2018. Paid 2 expansions. Play time 2hours a day. And today because i like this game, i can pay all that livin story with gold. that 200 gems price is like my 2-3 days doin my daily things and fractals with 2hours daily play time. (Thanks to my guildmate that gave me so much guide and help too). Not so many games gave you opportunity to convert gold to gems.

People like to complain, they dont even try.

I've said it before, I'm saying it again: If they'd just call the Living Story episodes DLC we wouldn't have this problem.

That is what they are, and the OP has already stated they expected to pay for DLC, but because it's branded 'story' and not DLC it looks like something which should be included in the expansion and people get upset and confused when it isn't.

> @"Cyninja.2954" said:

> > @"Balsa.3951" said:

> > punish late adapter with les content is a bad idea Anet will maybe understand this one day

>

> Agree, I would personal love for them to adopt a subscription model or charge for content releases to fund development.

Hundred times this.

Even though its very reasonable to pay for story seasons since development teams need to be funded somehow, the issue is that its very unwelcoming to new players who hear that this is story oriented MMO but then find themselves in a situation where they need to essentially buy two expansions + 3 seasons of game.

For comparison sake if I wanted to experience story of WoW i just need to buy latest expansion that also comes with 30 days of game time. So... esentially story content is actually cheaper in WoW.

I honestly feel that this game would definitely work better with some form of subscription model. Anet would have more money for development, veteran players would get content more often while new/returning players would not feel like they have to pay extra for something they feel should be included already.

> > @"sokeenoppa.5384" said:

> > You dont have to buy every lws at the same time. Just buy one episode with ingame gold and play it, after a while buy a second one and so on.

>

> At that price point I'll never buy it personally, as it just feels like a total robbery. I can name a dozen games I can buy at Steam for 2-3 times less money, which can offer story experience times better than LW seasons of GW2, for example. And I can assure you most of other people from around here will think the same.

Use ingame gold. You will earn More or less 60 gold daily just by doing some basic daily stuff like daily fractals and few meta events etc.. and ofc a lot more if you actually farm few hours.

You have all the tools there, and dont tell me that Episodes are too expensive If you buy them ingame gold. Its around 60-80 gold/ episode.

> @"kasoki.5180" said:

> > @"Cyninja.2954" said:

> > > @"Balsa.3951" said:

> > > punish late adapter with les content is a bad idea Anet will maybe understand this one day

> >

> > Agree, I would personal love for them to adopt a subscription model or charge for content releases to fund development.

>

>

> Hundred times this.

>

> Even though its very reasonable to pay for story seasons since development teams need to be funded somehow, the issue is that its very unwelcoming to new players who hear that this is story oriented MMO but then find themselves in a situation where they need to essentially buy two expansions + 3 seasons of game.

>

> For comparison sake if I wanted to experience story of WoW i just need to buy latest expansion that also comes with 30 days of game time. So... esentially story content is actually cheaper in WoW.

>

> I honestly feel that this game would definitely work better with some form of subscription model. Anet would have more money for development, veteran players would get content more often while new/returning players would not feel like they have to pay extra for something they feel should be included already.

>

>

This would lose a LOT of the casual player base. Most of us casuals play GW2 specifically because it is not sub based. I have never played and sub based online game of any sort because my family/work life doesn't afford me a large block of hours to play a game that would justify the monthly/annual price.

> @"kasoki.5180" said:

> > @"Cyninja.2954" said:

> > > @"Balsa.3951" said:

> > > punish late adapter with les content is a bad idea Anet will maybe understand this one day

> >

> > Agree, I would personal love for them to adopt a subscription model or charge for content releases to fund development.

>

>

> Hundred times this.

>

> Even though its very reasonable to pay for story seasons since development teams need to be funded somehow, the issue is that its very unwelcoming to new players who hear that this is story oriented MMO but then find themselves in a situation where they need to essentially buy two expansions + 3 seasons of game.

>

> For comparison sake if I wanted to experience story of WoW i just need to buy latest expansion that also comes with 30 days of game time. So... esentially story content is actually cheaper in WoW.

>

> I honestly feel that this game would definitely work better with some form of subscription model. Anet would have more money for development, veteran players would get content more often while new/returning players would not feel like they have to pay extra for something they feel should be included already.

>

>

I honestly feel that this game would definitely lose a large chunk of their playerbase because a subscription model only works for certain types of players (the ones with to much disposable income or ppl that play the game religiously) and all the other players would need to drop the game because it'd become an irresponsible financial decision

This

> @"kharmin.7683" said:

> > @"kasoki.5180" said:

> > > @"Cyninja.2954" said:

> > > > @"Balsa.3951" said:

> > > > punish late adapter with les content is a bad idea Anet will maybe understand this one day

> > >

> > > Agree, I would personal love for them to adopt a subscription model or charge for content releases to fund development.

> >

> >

> > Hundred times this.

> >

> > Even though its very reasonable to pay for story seasons since development teams need to be funded somehow, the issue is that its very unwelcoming to new players who hear that this is story oriented MMO but then find themselves in a situation where they need to essentially buy two expansions + 3 seasons of game.

> >

> > For comparison sake if I wanted to experience story of WoW i just need to buy latest expansion that also comes with 30 days of game time. So... esentially story content is actually cheaper in WoW.

> >

> > I honestly feel that this game would definitely work better with some form of subscription model. Anet would have more money for development, veteran players would get content more often while new/returning players would not feel like they have to pay extra for something they feel should be included already.

> >

> >

>

> This would lose a LOT of the casual player base. Most of us casuals play GW2 specifically because it is not sub based. I have never played and sub based online game of any sort because my family/work life doesn't afford me a large block of hours to play a game that would justify the monthly/annual price.

And

> @"derd.6413" said:

> > @"kasoki.5180" said:

> > > @"Cyninja.2954" said:

> > > > @"Balsa.3951" said:

> > > > punish late adapter with les content is a bad idea Anet will maybe understand this one day

> > >

> > > Agree, I would personal love for them to adopt a subscription model or charge for content releases to fund development.

> >

> >

> > Hundred times this.

> >

> > Even though its very reasonable to pay for story seasons since development teams need to be funded somehow, the issue is that its very unwelcoming to new players who hear that this is story oriented MMO but then find themselves in a situation where they need to essentially buy two expansions + 3 seasons of game.

> >

> > For comparison sake if I wanted to experience story of WoW i just need to buy latest expansion that also comes with 30 days of game time. So... esentially story content is actually cheaper in WoW.

> >

> > I honestly feel that this game would definitely work better with some form of subscription model. Anet would have more money for development, veteran players would get content more often while new/returning players would not feel like they have to pay extra for something they feel should be included already.

> >

> >

>

> I honestly feel that this game would definitely lose a large chunk of their playerbase because a subscription model only works for certain types of players (the ones with to much disposable income or ppl that play the game religiously) and all the other players would need to drop the game because it'd become an irresponsible financial decision

This.

The subscription was the ONLY reason why I never even tried WoW. Had it been B2P, I would likely have played it instead of Guild wars, and subsequently GW2.

If the subscription would cost me 10 gold per month, I would have a different answer. (As long as the current log in rewards are there). Short of that? I’d leave if it became subscription.

An MMO needs two things: revenue and population. Both are important for a healthy game. LS chapters are given for free to active players at the time which supports population. Do I think this is a great way to do it? Nope, I don't. However, I will say that LS season 3 is definitely worth it. Chapter 2 is only worth it if you're really into story (not that I think it's that good but ok) and season 4 depends. There is the story element but I find that the new zones we get with season 4 are increasingly beautiful but with little reason to come back there. The newest one has weapons you can collect if you like pink I guess.

Even if you are taking a break from the game, which sounds like you did, how hard is it to log in for 5 seconds.....seconds....to have access to the current LWS episode for free? My suggestion to the OP is if you don't want to pay anything at all then at least keep an eye on the game and when new episodes release so you don't have to pay anything to play them.

As far as the older episodes from before you owned any of the expansions buy them as bundles. It's cheaper that way.....everyone has had to do it. If you like the game why wouldn't you want to support it?

I agree that a subscription would be a bad move and would lose a lot of players. I know a lot of people who have said they started playing GW2 specifically because it didn't have a subscription, and I'm in the same situation. That model simply doesn't work for me because I can never tell what I'm going to be doing or how much time I'll have over the next 30 days, so I'd never know if I'm paying for time I'll never actually get to use. And yes I know a game subscription is the same price as a cup of (IMO very over-priced) coffee - but you still wouldn't be happy about buying a coffee then having to throw it away after just a few sips because you never had time to drink it, would you? (Also then I end up feeling like I have to play any time I can, since I've already paid for the time, and then I feel like I'm only playing because I have to and I don't enjoy it as much.)

An optional subscription might be ok, but it really depends on what's included. Also then they're highly likely to run into the problem Elder Scrolls Online has where people who don't subscribe complain that they're constantly pressured to do so because basic features are locked behind the sub (like material storage for example), while subscribers are constantly complaining that they don't get enough for their money and more stuff should be added. I'm not sure if it is possible to reach a middle ground where both groups are happy.

I wouldn't mind if they charged everyone for Living World episodes, so new/returning players are paying the same as people who log in regularly and don't feel like they're being treated differently. To me it seems very weird to give the content away free and then charge for optional extras like some weapon skins or outfits. **But** I would expect there to be some sort of trade-off for that, like more of those optional extras being included in the episode instead of sold separately (or even better for me, get rid of Black Lion Chests and put that stuff into the game.) That would probably cost me more since I haven't had to buy Living World episodes since Season 2, and I rarely buy gem store cosmetics, but it would make more sense to me. Maybe I'm just old fashioned through.

> At that price point I'll never buy it personally, as it just feels like a total robbery.

That's fine; it's your choice. Don't spend if you think it's too much.

Keep in mind though the total costs are 2840 gems = US$35 (not 3400 gems or US$50) and the DLC includes 3-4 new story instances, a new map, and access to something interesting or fun or both, e.g. LS4.3 allows you to unlock a new mount (without any additional gem costs).

> I can name a dozen games I can buy at Steam for 2-3 times less money, which can offer story experience times better than LW seasons of GW2, for example.

Then that's what you should be playing. Each of us has our own preferences and it's terrific that you have (a) identified what you like and (b) can articulate your price point. Not everyone can.

(Although I'm not sure you can speak to how good the GW2 story experience is if you haven't played the GW2 stories to experience them.)

> And I can assure you most of other people from around here will think the same.

Speak for yourself; try not to claim that you represent "most of other people."

> I'm living in that lucky part of the world, where 50$ is 1/3 - 1/4 of monthly salary for a lot of people :)

> Anet just won't get even those few $ from people who live in countries like mine, simple as that - and that's a huge chunk of the world, you know. Doesn't seem like very reasonable policy.

Idk. When $50 is 1/3-1/4 of these people's monthly salary, I don't think they will spend that much of their salary on a game. Besides, when 200 gems per episode is too much, you are probably not Anet's intended audience. If anything you can try and submit a ticket to support and ask for a refund. Then go back to playing what you think is worth it.

Episodes are cheap enough to be easily obtainable through gold imo

You're really not losing too much for playing the releases out of order either. Sure, there will be all these characters you don't know but most episodes are mostly contained in themselves anyway, with only the first and last note of each release calling back to the previous or foreshadowing the coming one.

> @"Emprer.7256" said:

> > @"MoriMoriMori.5349" said:

> > I'm living in that lucky part of the world, where 50$ is 1/3 - 1/4 of monthly salary for a lot of people :)

>

> > @"MoriMoriMori.5349" said:

> > Anet just won't get even those few $ from people who live in countries like mine, simple as that - and that's a huge chunk of the world, you know. Doesn't seem like very reasonable policy.

>

> Idk. When $50 is 1/3-1/4 of these people's monthly salary, I don't think they will spend that much of their salary on a game. Besides, when 200 gems per episode is too much, you are probably not Anet's intended audience. If anything you can try and submit a ticket to support and ask for a refund. Then go back to playing what you think is worth it.

They get the same gold salary as everyone else playing the game.