Too Many Legendaries

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that you brought it up, that legendaries may not necessarily be the best looking item, maybe allow players the option to freely switch between the 'legendary' appearance and the current skin being used just like outfits, so without costing transmutation shards. This is to offset the huge monetary investment.

> @"Mortifera.6138" said:

> It's interesting that a horizontal progression game has managed to avoid all lashback in implementing a gear treadmill like every other MMO's.

A gear treadmill is when you have to grind content to unlock gear then use that to grind higher level content for better gear so you can grind even higher level content, etc....

Once you hit Ascended gear, you're BiS.

> I feel forced to wear legendaries despite not liking their cosmetics, because I worked really hard to get them.

Why in the world would you make it if you don't like the way they look. They're literally just cosmetics, no bonus dmg at all. So if you don't like the cosmetics, why make it.

> @"MetalGirl.2370" said:

> > @"Mortifera.6138" said:

>

> > I feel forced to wear legendaries despite not liking their cosmetics, because I worked really hard to get them.

>

> Why in the world would you make it if you don't like the way they look. They're literally just cosmetics, no bonus dmg at all. So if you don't like the cosmetics, why make it.

>

The issue seems to be that the OP didn't realize beforehand that they would not like the cosmetics, but now that they are so heavily invested they (for some reason) feel compelled to stick with that skin rather than others they like better. This seems akin to some sort of virtual buyer's remorse.

@OP:

However, to address the initial assertion in the title that there are too many legendaries, up to this point your title is a non sequitur from your described "problem" of feeling compelled to use a legendary weapon skin. Feeling compelled to use a legendary skin has nothing whatsoever to do with the number of legendaries in the game. There are 21 first generation legendary weapons, 15 second generation, as well as 3 legendary back items, 3 sets of PvE legendary armor, a legendary accessory and I think a ring, for a total of 44, counting the armor sets as one whole.

Hypothetically speaking, were that scope to be narrowed down to a single Legendary weapon and you had taken the effort to craft that weapon and then didn't like the skin, the result would be the very same as if there were the existing 44 and you didn't like the one you made. Your assertion "too many legendaries" does not follow from "i do not like the skin but feel compelled to use it." The two are simply entirely unrelated.

Suggestions have been made: look it up on youtube, use the wardrobe to view the weapon on your character before diving into the epic journey of spending a fortune to buy/craft one. If you were unaware of these options, or simply did not have the foresight to try them prior to crafting a legendary, then you have had an expensive lesson on tools available in playing. However, that lesson hasn't been for nothing since you do have in your virtual hands the best of what GW2 has to offer for virtually slaying all your electronic foes. The other benefits to legendary gear remain besides the skin. You can swap to any stat in the game on the fly, as long as you are out of combat. You can also change sigils/runes without destroying the existing upgrade which is simply returned to your inventory. Should you choose to put a different skin on a legendary weapon, it still retains those benefits. Relax, enjoy yourself, and explore the various skins available and wear whatever you like.

There are so many different things to do in this game to get hung up over a single skin. Maybe go make another legendary weapon and sell it for a fortune and buy many of the skins you like.

> @"Moira Shalaar.5620" said:

> > @"MetalGirl.2370" said:

> > > @"Mortifera.6138" said:

> >

> > > I feel forced to wear legendaries despite not liking their cosmetics, because I worked really hard to get them.

> >

> > Why in the world would you make it if you don't like the way they look. They're literally just cosmetics, no bonus dmg at all. So if you don't like the cosmetics, why make it.

> >

>

> The issue seems to be that the OP didn't realize beforehand that they would not like the cosmetics, but now that they are so heavily invested they (for some reason) feel compelled to stick with that skin rather than others they like better. This seems akin to some sort of virtual buyer's remorse.

>

> @OP:

> **However, to address the initial assertion in the title that there are too many legendaries, up to this point your title is a non sequitur from your described "problem" of feeling compelled to use a legendary weapon skin. Feeling compelled to use a legendary skin has nothing whatsoever to do with the number of legendaries in the game. **There are 21 first generation legendary weapons, 15 second generation, as well as 3 legendary back items, 3 sets of PvE legendary armor, a legendary accessory and I think a ring, for a total of 44, counting the armor sets as one whole.

> Hypothetically speaking, were that scope to be narrowed down to a single Legendary weapon and you had taken the effort to craft that weapon and then didn't like the skin, the result would be the very same as if there were the existing 44 and you didn't like the one you made. Your assertion "too many legendaries" does not follow from "i do not like the skin but feel compelled to use it." The two are simply entirely unrelated.

>

> Suggestions have been made: look it up on youtube, use the wardrobe to view the weapon on your character before diving into the epic journey of spending a fortune to buy/craft one. If you were unaware of these options, or simply did not have the foresight to try them prior to crafting a legendary, then you have had an expensive lesson on tools available in playing. However, that lesson hasn't been for nothing since you do have in your virtual hands the best of what GW2 has to offer for virtually slaying all your electronic foes. The other benefits to legendary gear remain besides the skin. You can swap to any stat in the game on the fly, as long as you are out of combat. You can also change sigils/runes without destroying the existing upgrade which is simply returned to your inventory. Should you choose to put a different skin on a legendary weapon, it still retains those benefits. Relax, enjoy yourself, and explore the various skins available and wear whatever you like.

>

> There are so many different things to do in this game to get hung up over a single skin. Maybe go make another legendary weapon and sell it for a fortune and buy many of the skins you like.

There are too many legendaries around, because people don't want to skin over them, having worked so hard to obtain them.

> > @"Moira Shalaar.5620" said:

> > I am sorry but I am trying to understand your point. Are you wanting anet to remove some legendaries? Are you asking them to limit the number that can be equipped by a single character? If so on either of these, do you have something more substantive than “I don’t like the skins but feel compelled to use them anyway”? Is that a fair characterization of your argument?

> >

> > There are some arguments to be made from the problem of skill/skin effect bloat obscuring game play, but for some legendary weapons ARE a primary form of end game content. I cannot imagine that you are going to make a compelling argument even for the second much less the first.

> >

> > If you see a problem in game, perhaps include suggestions on how you would like to see it resolved.

>

> I feel forced to wear legendaries despite not liking their cosmetics, because I worked really hard to get them. Maybe if we had a preview mode where we could actually run around in them for some time (like how we try out mounts), I wouldn't make the same mistake again.

If you don't like their cosmetics you could skip working really hard to get them. At that point you shouldnt feel forced* to wear them.

*You shouldnt feel forced anyway as there is no force in evidence.

I agree with your title, but I do not agree with your message, TC.

I think there are too many legendaries. They don't even feel legendary to begin with.

Almost everyone has them.

So when I agree with "there are too many legendaries" I do not mean Arena-net making too many, I mean there are too many made in the game.

That is the problem with being able to buy them off the TP or their components (Gen 1). I had not finished the grind for a Gen 2 or anything past Gen 1. I only have 3 Gen 1 legendaries. And if I see someone using a Greatsword, more times than not its a Sunrise/Twilight/Eternity.

Sure, there are people with like, 28 legendary weapons, and 8 sets of legendary armor. But thats because there is nothing for "end game" players to spend anything on. If it can be bought, they have more than several thousands of gold to buy it, if it needs to be crafted they have several characters full of max stacks of the components to make it. So that is their end game, especially since the only "challenging" content is raids, which I say that as a lighthearted comment.

If you do not like a legendary skin, don't make it. Sure if you're an absolute min-maxer you'll want it for the rune swap, or stat swap. Esp with a meta which can change entirely, or just 1 item in the build changing because its a 0.002% DPS increase. But you can just spend your gold and time on getting ascended sets.

>

> There are too many legendaries around, because people don't want to skin over them, having worked so hard to obtain them.

That's absolutely not right.

I could see people not wanting to reskin legendary armor I guess...

Weapons on the other hands - I'm pretty sure people have them because its "an end game item" and they like it.

I personally have

Bolt, Eternity, Minstrel (x2), Kamohoali'i, Shining Blade, Flameskeer Prophecies, Astralaria

Bolt - I didn't use for 5 years, even tho my meta build ALWAYS had a sword, instead I made ascended one and skinned it

Eternity - I didn't use for over 4 years

Minstrel - 1 is in fact skinned with GW1 HoM skin and 2nd one is not used since HoT came out

Kamohoali - is currently my UW weapon but I never see it unless I do Aquatic fractals

Shining Blade - I made it the same night it came out, literally costed over 3000 gold to make it because prices jumped up and then next thing you know, Anet releases PoF

shortly after and I never wore it again ... and as you can see I made it despite having Bolt sitting in my bank for 5 years

Flameseeker - didn't use since PoF came out because I'm Mirage now

Astralaria - I'm using atm as it is meta for Mirage and i absolutely adore the skin still because it has kind of like "steampunk-y" look to it

So as you can see, all but 2 (one barely used because UW) are sitting in my bank for years and it doesn't bother me.

>

> There are too many legendaries around, because people don't want to skin over them, having worked so hard to obtain them.

So apparently your problem isn't with the scope of possible legendaries that can be made, but with the absolute number of them in game? Some clarification in your initial post regarding that would have been nice but better late than never.

However you are still making a false argument. Your personal, subjective problem is that you don't want to put a different skin on a legendary despite disliking the legendary's appearance, because of your investment. Now you are taking your personal issue and projecting it on an unspecified, unquantified (and I argue unquantifiable) group of players, "people", solely based upon your own opinion. Even should you have other "people" with whom you may interact who also share your problem, that would be a very very very small sample size. @"MetalGirl.2370" has already demonstrated that your reasoning does not apply with respect to them. I too have some legendaries, all of which I am fully satisfied with their appearance on certain of my characters. Now we have a quantified sampling of 2 whose personal experience is counter to your own and that of your unsubstantiated "people." Neither your verifiable sample size of 1 (you) nor mine which is double the size of yours, can be said to represent the ~11 million players in the game (using the statistics from 5th anniversary).

https://www.pcgamesn.com/Guild-Wars-2/Guild-Wars-2-Path-Of-Fire-Release-Infographic

If this is a relevant, rampant problem please back up this argument with something of greater weight than "I don't like it," which is really what your argument thus far can be reduced to. The closest thing I can find on the forums is:

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/53500/legendary-transmutation-idea

But that is a single post and it isn't even really what you are saying, just relatively in the same category.

Again, if you have a problem with the game, please spend some time thinking it through, produce well thought out reasons why it is a problem (still lacking here), and then as I stated earlier, propose suggestions on how you think the problem you have identified might be resolved. You haven't made a single suggestion on how the "problem" might be resolved. I recommend taking the time to read through Anet's own recommendations for giving feedback (e.g. too many legendaries).

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/317/how-to-give-good-feedback

> ... however, due to the effort in obtaining one (and the subsequent status that that brings), I would rather equip a legendary skin than an item I find more aesthetically pleasing because I'm not going to spend all that valuable time and money to get something, only to not wear it. [...] Yup--this game is now about who has the most legendaries on.

Not sure I agree with you - I particularly love the variety of weapons designs in this game - my main character actively uses almost 40 different weapon skins and only 11 of them are legendary (40 different weapons may take a lot of inventory space, but the option to switch my active skin on a whim is totally worth it to me). Some of the legendary ones barely see play, even though they are just a double click away.

Also I don't think legendaries have prestige anymore, maybe that was that way in 2012, but - for me at least - today they are just another skin, and there are too many beautiful (non-legendary) skins around to not use any of them.

I've only been playing about a year now and I've made a couple of legendaries, both I'm very happy with and I'm working on another I'm sure I'll be just as happy with. I dunno what to tell you OP. Appearance is entirely subjective, I think Twilight/Sunrise/Eternity is too big and I'm not a fan of the look but plenty of people disagree. All that matters is that you like your own look and stop caring so much what other people look like.

> I feel forced to wear legendaries despite not liking their cosmetics,

Why would you make one without either (a) finding out first if you like the cosmetics or (b) resigning yourself to be content with acquiring the item regardless of aesthetics? As you say, it's a lot of work; it seems sensible to do the research **before** beginning the process.

you pay the massive efforts for the convenience of stat swapping, the shiny skin comes as secondary

if you look at PvP and WvW legendary armors, they are identical to ascended version; the PvE legendary armor, only the heavy looks good for me

and feel glad that Anet made legendaries still relevant to the contents after so many year, just look at WoW's Thunderfury, it's now just a show piece and for trolling

I would disagree with you OP because hardly anyone actually uses their legendary armor skins, and so many people have legendary armor. Many people are transmuting cheaper skins over their legendary armor and weapon skins because it's more to do with their character's theme. With that said, I have both legendary swords and I would never transmute over those skins with cheaper skins, but I did consider it for the recent caithe sword that was in the gemstore

I know the issue of the OP: for example I usually ran Eternity on reaper, although Twilight fits better thematically, but Eternity is more prestigious. But Eternity has the Sunrise skin most of the time. Why? Hm sometimes you just want to show off.

Still I wouldn't dare to complain. This is a non issue and just personal.