Leggy runes/sigils, help me make sense

So, the reason we never got ascended runes and sigils was because anet didn’t want the ascended threadmill to spin vertically too much.

They’re always fond of their horizontal progression, they designed ascended armor to be worth the effort, but not so much it’s a requirement for the game.

So, what can we expect from leggy runes and sigils?

What can we give them to make them worth the effort/cost, but not competitive with the superios runes and sigils?

At first I thought “integration”. Craft a leggy rune, and then right click to choose what it becomes, much like the stat selection on the leggy gear.

But that wouldn’t make the crafting worth it.

Most people dont even toggle runes that much, I guess there’s only like 2 or 3 meta builds per class, so it’s not a huge inventory save for hundreds of gold.

If so, you can spend that gold better on a bag upgrade.

Sorry if I sound pessimestic, but maybe I have the wrong kind of expectations

Anyone have a better/more optimistic hunch?

Honestly, I'd rather hope for "Finish rune/sigil collection, get specific item added to Achievement reward box," like the heirloom and AP reward skins. Then you can summon as many account-bound versions of the item as you need.

But what it will probably be is a rune that can swap. (It should have a minor cost, like a few rune dust or something, because insignificant items don't have enough sinks...)

OP, keep in mind that, in the same post in which they announced the Legendary sigils and runes, ArenaNet also said:

> @"Stephane Lo Presti.7258" said:

> _(This is a message from Game Director Mike Zadorojny)_

> Ultimately, we believe that our core pillars for _Guild Wars 2_ have not changed:

> (...)

> * Focus on horizontal progression instead of vertical

So, considering the focus on horizontal progression and how, in the rest of the game, no legendary has better stats that the other items... Looks like legendary runes and sigils will have the same power as what we currently have.

We have often seen the request to allow people to change sigils and runes freely on legendary items. I think legendary runes and sigils will be basically a way to do that - change those stats freely, as often as desired. I just doubt this is going to be useful, especially for people who don't have legendary weapons and/or armor.

> @"Erasculio.2914" said:

> OP, keep in mind that, in the same post in which they announced the Legendary sigils and runes, ArenaNet also said:

>

> > @"Stephane Lo Presti.7258" said:

> We have often seen the request to allow people to change sigils and runes freely on legendary items. I think legendary runes and sigils will be basically a way to do that - change those stats freely, as often as desired. I just doubt this is going to be useful, especially for people who don't have legendary weapons and/or armor.

Considering they need mats sink, I'm sure those will go just fine into ascended armor and weapons

> OP, keep in mind that, in the same post in which they announced the Legendary sigils and runes, ArenaNet also said:

>

> > @"Stephane Lo Presti.7258" said:

> > _(This is a message from Game Director Mike Zadorojny)_

> > Ultimately, we believe that our core pillars for _Guild Wars 2_ have not changed:

> > (...)

> > * Focus on horizontal progression instead of vertical

>

> So, considering the focus on horizontal progression and how, in the rest of the game, no legendary has better stats that the other items... Looks like legendary runes and sigils will have the same power as what we currently have.

>

> We have often seen the request to allow people to change sigils and runes freely on legendary items. I think legendary runes and sigils will be basically a way to do that - change those stats freely, as often as desired. I just doubt this is going to be useful, especially for people who don't have legendary weapons and/or armor.

We MIGHT expect a slight power increase because legendaries use the stats of Ascended items and there are no ascended runes and sigils YET. If they go the crafting a precursor for each rune route then that might be where those are introduced.

> @"Blocki.4931" said:

> > @"Erasculio.2914" said:

> > OP, keep in mind that, in the same post in which they announced the Legendary sigils and runes, ArenaNet also said:

> >

> > > @"Stephane Lo Presti.7258" said:

> > > _(This is a message from Game Director Mike Zadorojny)_

> > > Ultimately, we believe that our core pillars for _Guild Wars 2_ have not changed:

> > > (...)

> > > * Focus on horizontal progression instead of vertical

> >

> > So, considering the focus on horizontal progression and how, in the rest of the game, no legendary has better stats that the other items... Looks like legendary runes and sigils will have the same power as what we currently have.

> >

> > We have often seen the request to allow people to change sigils and runes freely on legendary items. I think legendary runes and sigils will be basically a way to do that - change those stats freely, as often as desired. I just doubt this is going to be useful, especially for people who don't have legendary weapons and/or armor.

>

> We MIGHT expect a slight power increase because legendaries use the stats of Ascended items and there are no ascended runes and sigils YET. If they go the crafting a precursor for each rune route then that might be where those are introduced.

Legendary takes the stats of the highest available existing, so by that they would take exotic. Until they made ascended runes/sigils. Can't imagine they will though, would be a mess.

> @"phs.6089" said:

> Considering they need mats sink, I'm sure those will go just fine into ascended armor and weapons

I think they will work even with Exotics. What I'm not sure of is if it's going to be worth having the ability to switch sigils and runes on equipment that cannot change stats (in other words, anything that isn't legendary armor and weapons).

> @"DeanBB.4268" said:

> Hmm... and each one you want will cost a Gift of Battle?

Well, a single piece of legendary armor doesn't require a Gift of Battle (at least based on the list [here](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Legendary_armor), for the PvE version). But we don't really know. I hope the legendary runes and sigils won't be restricted to raids like armor is, PvE-wise.

I hope they won't increase the stats/bonuses of the runes/sigils. It would be a pity to change them all, and I'd like to avoid power creep, especially in WvW.

Since we skip the ascended version, the legendary runes could be exactly the same of the superior ones, but we might be able to swap the rune/sigil as we wish.

> @"Blocki.4931" said:

> > @"Erasculio.2914" said:

> > OP, keep in mind that, in the same post in which they announced the Legendary sigils and runes, ArenaNet also said:

> >

> > > @"Stephane Lo Presti.7258" said:

> > > _(This is a message from Game Director Mike Zadorojny)_

> > > Ultimately, we believe that our core pillars for _Guild Wars 2_ have not changed:

> > > (...)

> > > * Focus on horizontal progression instead of vertical

> >

> > So, considering the focus on horizontal progression and how, in the rest of the game, no legendary has better stats that the other items... Looks like legendary runes and sigils will have the same power as what we currently have.

> >

> > We have often seen the request to allow people to change sigils and runes freely on legendary items. I think legendary runes and sigils will be basically a way to do that - change those stats freely, as often as desired. I just doubt this is going to be useful, especially for people who don't have legendary weapons and/or armor.

>

> We MIGHT expect a slight power increase because legendaries use the stats of Ascended items and there are no ascended runes and sigils YET. If they go the crafting a precursor for each rune route then that might be where those are introduced.

Before we had Ascended weapons Legendary weapons had the same stats as Exotic weapons. I believe these Legendary Runes and Sigils will just allow us to select any Superior Rune or Sigil we want and we will probably have a right click option to remove them from any armour or weapon without needing to salvage the equipment.

That's it, they'll be another gold sink and will be of most use to people with full legendaries who don't want to have to carry multiple sets of Sigils and Runes with them. Like current legendary weapons and armour they'll be of limited use to most people and for most (meta) builds.

My guess:

1. You craft a set of Runes (6) or Sigils (2) that are Legendary and have a few built in options to choose from.

2. You can remove these Runes/Sigils on demand, and change what they do on demand.

3. To get new options added to the list you can choose from, you must "unlock" them by getting some number of exotic runes/sigils with the name of the rune/sigil you want to unlock, then combine them in the Mystic Forge with something to get an item that can be consumed to unlock the sigil/rune for all legendary sigils/runes you have.

4. Because my guess involved two "crafting" stages (one to build the rune and another to unlock options for it), it should mean that the initial stage isn't going to be as onerous as crafting legendary armor is since they can shift a decent portion of the crafting cost into the individual unlocks.

Depending on how the templates are this can make peferct sense. Example what if you have the option to store gear in the build templates. You can theoretically have a full set of legendary in it that can be used across the entire account. For example i can use guardian with a certain set of gear/stats and switch to fresh lv 80 warrior and not have to reequip everything and change stats because its all built in the template. Or if you have multiple warriors on your account and feel like being a char berserker instead of a human you can instantly switch without wasting 10 minutes trying to manually change everything because you was a power char earlier. For me i have to rethink what legendaries to craft since i have at least 1 of everykind of legendary in game as of now. Wont make sense for me to craft another set of legendary light armor if i already have one. So i will save massive amounts of gold and mats until this drops.

> @"mtpelion.4562" said:

> My guess:

>

> 1. You craft a set of Runes (6) or Sigils (2) that are Legendary and have a few built in options to choose from.

> 2. You can remove these Runes/Sigils on demand, and change what they do on demand.

> 3. To get new options added to the list you can choose from, you must "unlock" them by getting some number of exotic runes/sigils with the name of the rune/sigil you want to unlock, then combine them in the Mystic Forge with something to get an item that can be consumed to unlock the sigil/rune for all legendary sigils/runes you have.

> 4. Because my guess involved two "crafting" stages (one to build the rune and another to unlock options for it), it should mean that the initial stage isn't going to be as onerous as crafting legendary armor is since they can shift a decent portion of the crafting cost into the individual unlocks.

That sounds plausible, but doesnt that require a coding for every single unlock combination?

> > @"phs.6089" said:

> > Considering they need mats sink, I'm sure those will go just fine into ascended armor and weapons

>

> I think they will work even with Exotics. What I'm not sure of is if it's going to be worth having the ability to switch sigils and runes on equipment that cannot change stats (in other words, anything that isn't legendary armor and weapons).

>

>

Legendary ... other things lets you swap their upgrades freely so I would expect a legendary upgrade(runes and sigils) to function in reverse. You could take them out of and put them into stuff freely as well. This in theory mean you craft this once and never have a need for any runes again. In practice that would probably be too much hassle to be worth it.

For weapons it would probably be more space efficient to have 4 legendary sigils and a bunch of ascended weapons than a couple legendary weapons and a pile of exotic sigils at least in the case where 2h weapons are involved.