Charged Quartz crystal Time gating

> @"Eloc Freidon.5692" said:

> This is one of those games that, if you are serious, you need to search for all the dailies and time gated things to make sure you do them on days you can play.

This. And yes I am that dude that does charged crystal, all 3 crafting mats and makes sure my stocks of map currency are at least a stack in my bank.

Never assume you will never need 'em or it's a waste of time.

leveling crafting does pay at times.

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> Actually, no, the topic of the post is that it bugs the OP.

>

Yes, it bugs the OP. **Something** bugs the OP. And look what bugs him:

> @"InsaneQR.7412" said:

> This bugs me quite a while now.

> First and firemost: **Why** are the account bound? We cannot even trade them between guild mates.

> Secondly: **Why** only one per day and not lets say 5?

Exactly what I asked - **Why**?

> >

> Actually, hardly anyone is disagreeing with the OP. No one loves time gates, not even the devs.

>

> The difference is that some people recognize that there are reasons for time gates, that some of the effects are positive for the community. Which is why, despite the downsides, that game companies still use time gates.

So, almost nobody disagrees with the OP position. =) With a difference ....

Difference to what? To "nobody disagrees" ? Or to "almost"? You see, this statement is like an intentionally flawed law: The XYZ action/deed is not allowed, **with the exception of ...**.

>

> People have offered reasons; you simply don't like them. That doesn't mean there aren't any valid ones.

>

What post do you read? Reasons? Let's take your statement:

>

> It's guaranteed: once per day, at any channel-type hero challenge (including the one you can get for your home instance), as long as you have 25 ordinary quartz in inventory.

>

> For all the achievements that ask for charged quartz, there's a TP alternative route. (And nothing stops you from charging after you reach your goal, then selling to others that come after you; if you're careful, it's possible to even profit relative to your initial costs, although more commonly you'll end up recouping 70-80% of what you spent.)

>

> Obtaining more than one charged quartz per day is either expensive or requires luck (usually both).

You explained how the things works now and you offered an alternative for Quartz Crystals. But the OP asked something about **Charged** Quartz Crystal.

Maybe I don't understand the English language too well, so, please translate the reason you offered here for the actual state of the **Charged Quartz Crystal**?

> On the whole, though, in this case, probably the most important reason is: no one has offered a _compelling_ reason why it's worth any effort to change it. Anyone can stockpile charged quartz, and many have explained how & why they did so. Anyone can bypass the gating for it for all but a handful of uses, by spending some extra gold on the TP.

>

The OP is not asking if the effort for a change is worth the time/resources. Excepting the situation you are an ANet employee, with the position to evaluate the effort/revenue ratio, the task of this evaluation is for ANet. The OP asked **Why** it is this situation yet ingame. And if enough players agree that this is not good, maybe ANet will consider that the revenue for having happy players is worth the effort.

>

> tl;dr

> * No one is _defending_ time gates as "fun."

> * There are good reasons for time gates, despite the annoyances.

> * There are good reasons to remove historical gates, despite the original rationale.

> * In the absence of a compelling reason, the status quo wins over changing things, because it's simpler and cheaper.

So, time gates are not fun. Although you say "there are good resons for time gates" you offer no reason. The difference is that for the statement: "There are good reasons to remove historical gates" - we know a lot of reasons, many posts brought that reasons into the attention of the players.

And this is the most important part: "In the absence of a compelling reason, the status quo wins over changing things, **because it's simpler and cheaper.**

Yes, by doing nothing you have a simpler and cheaper solution. But, as I said before, if you are not an ANet employee, you cannot evaluate how damaging is the fact that the time gates are not fun and how much Anet can be affected by doing nothing compared to how much can Anet benefit from content/happy players.

Do you remember the period pre HoT? Nothing done. That means a cheap and simple solution. Still the game lost players just because ANet opted during that period for a cheap and simple solution.

> @"Cristalyan.5728" said:

> > @"Turkeyspit.3965" said:

> >

> > Account bound stuff sucks, I agree, but then do we want players to be able to get best in slot gear (BIS) from the TP, using gold they got from selling gems? Do we want players to swipe their credit card and have full ascended armor and 150 AR and walk in to T4 fractals right away?

> >

>

> The answer is YES. And the situation is already possible now. If you have a good credit card you can gear for fractals in max 3 hours, starting from 0 with the crafting. You can buy the finite T7 materials. You cannot buy the "precursors" for T7(I never bothered to remember the names, this is why I call this kind of materials "precursors"). But the Deldrimor ingot / Spritwood / Elonian Leather / Bolt of Damasc, you can buy them.

>

> But you cannot buy a Charged Quartz.

>

That's a fair point, I guess you really aren't held back by the daily cool down on those precursors, provided you don't mind the additional cost.

So in that same line of thought though, what then is the issue with the Charged Quartz? Aside from the Celestial gear, what would you craft with a Charged Quartz that you couldn't then sell / buy on the TP, or craft for a guildmate? I had a look at the recipes and many of the items that required CQ are part of legendary collections, so I see no issue with forcing the player to produce that themselves.

If being able to buy Deldrimor Steel Ingots et al negates the issue that Lumps of Mithrillum are account bound and time gated, what makes Charged Quartz different, when you can buy Grow Maps, Skyscale Food / Treats, or the Ley-Line tool from the TP / other players?

I'm not defending time gating, I'm just trying to explore how this is really a negative thing, seeing as you pointed out, you can guy the final product that Charged Quartz and other time gated materials lead to?

The exception again would be Celestial, but I'm also opposed to the notion that any gear stat should be account bound; would much rather you be able to buy/sell Marauder, Viper, Minstrel, etc gear on the TP than how it currently works.

> @"Turkeyspit.3965" said:

> > @"Cristalyan.5728" said:

> > > @"Turkeyspit.3965" said:

> > >

> > > snip

>

> So in that same line of thought though, what then is the issue with the Charged Quartz? Aside from the Celestial gear, what would you craft with a Charged Quartz that you couldn't then sell / buy on the TP, or craft for a guildmate? I had a look at the recipes and many of the items that required CQ are part of legendary collections, so I see no issue with forcing the player to produce that themselves.

>

> If being able to buy Deldrimor Steel Ingots et al negates the issue that Lumps of Mithrillum are account bound and time gated, what makes Charged Quartz different, when you can buy Grow Maps, Skyscale Food / Treats, or the Ley-Line tool from the TP / other players?

>

> I'm not defending time gating, I'm just trying to explore how this is really a negative thing, seeing as you pointed out, you can guy the final product that Charged Quartz and other time gated materials lead to?

>

> The exception again would be Celestial, but I'm also opposed to the notion that any gear stat should be account bound; would much rather you be able to buy/sell Marauder, Viper, Minstrel, etc gear on the TP than how it currently works.

>

Yep. Said the same thing earlier. You can literally sell nearly everything with charged quartz except the celestial stuff. I'm done with Skyscale so after regaining my stockpiles, I'm making a profit on this too. Incidentally, if you /really/ /really/ /really/ don't want to pay someone like me the extra gold by getting your own charged quartz there are other alternatives. Harvesting nodes will occasionally give you one and they are also in the christmas bags. True, the bags aren't a cheap alternative but who knows. You might, like my daughter, open a lousy 55 bags and get an infusion...which she sold...bought her food---and ended with a hefty profit. I'm not salty. Nope. Not at all. Even after farming the Wintersday event itself like crazy trying to get an infusion. 55 bags. 55. Sigh. Eventually i will sell enough food to buy the infusion, I suppose.

> @"Turkeyspit.3965" said:

> > @"Cristalyan.5728" said:

> > > @"Turkeyspit.3965" said:

> > >

> > > Account bound stuff sucks, I agree, but then do we want players to be able to get best in slot gear (BIS) from the TP, using gold they got from selling gems? Do we want players to swipe their credit card and have full ascended armor and 150 AR and walk in to T4 fractals right away?

> > >

> >

> > The answer is YES. And the situation is already possible now. If you have a good credit card you can gear for fractals in max 3 hours, starting from 0 with the crafting. You can buy the finite T7 materials. You cannot buy the "precursors" for T7(I never bothered to remember the names, this is why I call this kind of materials "precursors"). But the Deldrimor ingot / Spritwood / Elonian Leather / Bolt of Damasc, you can buy them.

> >

> > But you cannot buy a Charged Quartz.

> >

>

> That's a fair point, I guess you really aren't held back by the daily cool down on those precursors, provided you don't mind the additional cost.

>

> So in that same line of thought though, what then is the issue with the Charged Quartz? Aside from the Celestial gear, what would you craft with a Charged Quartz that you couldn't then sell / buy on the TP, or craft for a guildmate? I had a look at the recipes and many of the items that required CQ are part of legendary collections, so I see no issue with forcing the player to produce that themselves.

>

> If being able to buy Deldrimor Steel Ingots et al negates the issue that Lumps of Mithrillum are account bound and time gated, what makes Charged Quartz different, when you can buy Grow Maps, Skyscale Food / Treats, or the Ley-Line tool from the TP / other players?

>

> I'm not defending time gating, I'm just trying to explore how this is really a negative thing, seeing as you pointed out, you can guy the final product that Charged Quartz and other time gated materials lead to?

>

> The exception again would be Celestial, but I'm also opposed to the notion that any gear stat should be account bound; would much rather you be able to buy/sell Marauder, Viper, Minstrel, etc gear on the TP than how it currently works.

>

It is actually celestial, commander and wanderer because of charged fossils and charged thorns.

Edit: Forgot an important detail, only ascended since you can now get exotic ones other ways.

> @"Westenev.5289" said:

> I've been looking to create a set of Celestial for WvW (because minstrels is too expensive), but the 30 day timegate has always put me off.

Then plan 30 days ahead. You only need a minutes worth of time to travel to a mastery point and fix it.

Well, ignoring the fact that celestial is selectable on free WvW reward track armor or purchaseables.

> @"Dawdler.8521" said:

> > @"Westenev.5289" said:

> > I've been looking to create a set of Celestial for WvW (because minstrels is too expensive), but the 30 day timegate has always put me off.

> Then plan 30 days ahead. You only need a minutes worth of time to travel to a mastery point and fix it.

Core Tyria Hero Point. If you're going to rebuke someone, please at least make sure your information is correct.

> @"Magnus Godrik.5841" said:

> Please stop these complaints. This has been craftable for years and the only problem there is, is the fact you choose not to craft any until its needed for something that you want.

Since I got my own guild about a year ago, it started to put me off because (yes this is true) I didn't needed it until then.

But it's hella anoying if you are 10 ppl in a guild and you can't trade them. Between guild mates. Especially if you wanna improve the vendors or the arena. Or just if you wanna craft ley line tools (which are buyable though).

Atleast give craftable once a day items the abbility to be guild bound. So you can trade them between guild mates. And help eachother out.

Its also puzzling me why the charged crystals are once a day only. For ascended materials it is totally understandable but the crystals are really for time gate sake and not to prevent devaluation.

Ofc I am not an expert on the gw economy system but atleast increasing the daily cap to 5 so you could atleast craft one piece of gear per day or 5 tools a day etc would make the whole thing acceptable and not as tedious.

All ppl think it's the: I don't get skyscale in one day and I riot situation.

But honestly the skyscale was just the last rice corn that broke the camels back.

I am annoyed from this more over a year now.

> @"Westenev.5289" said:

> > @"Dawdler.8521" said:

> > > @"Westenev.5289" said:

> > > I've been looking to create a set of Celestial for WvW (because minstrels is too expensive), but the 30 day timegate has always put me off.

> > Then plan 30 days ahead. You only need a minutes worth of time to travel to a mastery point and fix it.

>

> Core Tyria Hero Point. If you're going to rebuke someone, please at least make sure your information is correct.

>

>

And even that isn't right.

Any *communing* Hero Point - core, HoT, PoF doesn't matter, what matters is that there's the "Commune with this place of power" prompt.

> @"InsaneQR.7412" said:

> > @"Magnus Godrik.5841" said:

> > Please stop these complaints. This has been craftable for years and the only problem there is, is the fact you choose not to craft any until its needed for something that you want.

>

> Since I got my own guild about a year ago, it started to put me off because (yes this is true) I didn't needed it until then.

> But it's hella anoying if you are 10 ppl in a guild and you can't trade them. Between guild mates. Especially if you wanna improve the vendors or the arena. Or just if you wanna craft ley line tools (which are buyable though).

>

> Atleast give craftable once a day items the abbility to be guild bound. So you can trade them between guild mates. And help eachother out.

Why do you need to trade them between guild members to upgrade your guild? Every guild member can help pay for guild upgrades, there's no need to trade quarz for that.

I know I crafted celestial insignias/inscriptions for several of the guilds I'm in, but it was always a community effort with several people each contributing one or two of them. There never was a need to pool the materials before using them for the upgrade.

> @"Rasimir.6239" said:

> > @"InsaneQR.7412" said:

> > > @"Magnus Godrik.5841" said:

> > > Please stop these complaints. This has been craftable for years and the only problem there is, is the fact you choose not to craft any until its needed for something that you want.

> >

> > Since I got my own guild about a year ago, it started to put me off because (yes this is true) I didn't needed it until then.

> > But it's hella anoying if you are 10 ppl in a guild and you can't trade them. Between guild mates. Especially if you wanna improve the vendors or the arena. Or just if you wanna craft ley line tools (which are buyable though).

> >

> > Atleast give craftable once a day items the abbility to be guild bound. So you can trade them between guild mates. And help eachother out.

> Why do you need to trade them between guild members to upgrade your guild? Every guild member can help pay for guild upgrades, there's no need to trade quarz for that.

>

> I know I crafted celestial insignias/inscriptions for several of the guilds I'm in, but it was always a community effort with several people each contributing one or two of them. There never was a need to pool the materials before using them for the upgrade.

>

>

Yeah accept in situations that every body has 4 crystals and you need 5 for an i script. It's just weird that you need something for your guild everybody has to do on his own.

It would also be otherwise a good solution to make them not as time gated but you have an insentive to work together and they wouldn't be sold in the TP so no big prize drops.

> @"InsaneQR.7412" said:

> > @"Magnus Godrik.5841" said:

> > Please stop these complaints. This has been craftable for years and the only problem there is, is the fact you choose not to craft any until its needed for something that you want.

>

> Since I got my own guild about a year ago, it started to put me off because (yes this is true) I didn't needed it until then.

> But it's hella anoying if you are 10 ppl in a guild and you can't trade them. Between guild mates. Especially if you wanna improve the vendors or the arena. Or just if you wanna craft ley line tools (which are buyable though).

>

> Atleast give craftable once a day items the abbility to be guild bound. So you can trade them between guild mates. And help eachother out.

>

> Its also puzzling me why the charged crystals are once a day only. For ascended materials it is totally understandable but the crystals are really for time gate sake and not to prevent devaluation.

> Ofc I am not an expert on the gw economy system but atleast increasing the daily cap to 5 so you could atleast craft one piece of gear per day or 5 tools a day etc would make the whole thing acceptable and not as tedious.

>

> All ppl think it's the: I don't get skyscale in one day and I riot situation.

> But honestly the skyscale was just the last rice corn that broke the camels back.

> I am annoyed from this more over a year now.

Well if charged quartz was annoying you for a year, you would think you would have been proactive so you wouldnt be caught in another situation. Now if the charged crystal debacle rolled out when the mount did then yeah i get it. Most of these time gated materials can be turned into something to make you money. So your doing yourself a disservice by not crafting them so its in your best interest to make a few just incase. I personally keep at least 50 in the bank in case i need them.

> @"Magnus Godrik.5841" said:

> > > @"Magnus Godrik.5841" said:

> > > Please stop these complaints. This has been craftable for years and the only problem there is, is the fact you choose not to craft any until its needed for something that you want.

> >

> > Since I got my own guild about a year ago, it started to put me off because (yes this is true) I didn't needed it until then.

> > But it's hella anoying if you are 10 ppl in a guild and you can't trade them. Between guild mates. Especially if you wanna improve the vendors or the arena. Or just if you wanna craft ley line tools (which are buyable though).

> >

> > Atleast give craftable once a day items the abbility to be guild bound. So you can trade them between guild mates. And help eachother out.

> >

> > Its also puzzling me why the charged crystals are once a day only. For ascended materials it is totally understandable but the crystals are really for time gate sake and not to prevent devaluation.

> > Ofc I am not an expert on the gw economy system but atleast increasing the daily cap to 5 so you could atleast craft one piece of gear per day or 5 tools a day etc would make the whole thing acceptable and not as tedious.

> >

> > All ppl think it's the: I don't get skyscale in one day and I riot situation.

> > But honestly the skyscale was just the last rice corn that broke the camels back.

> > I am annoyed from this more over a year now.

>

> Well if charged quartz was annoying you for a year, you would think you would have been proactive so you wouldnt be caught in another situation. Now if the charged crystal debacle rolled out when the mount did then yeah i get it. Most of these time gated materials can be turned into something to make you money. So your doing yourself a disservice by not crafting them so its in your best interest to make a few just incase. I personally keep at least 50 in the bank in case i need them.

First: i can not play the game every day. That's just normal for a lot of ppl that you are not able due to real life.

Second: You miss totally the point what I am saying. I don't say it's not profitable to craft. I said it's annoying to only be able to craft one or not trade them with guild mates.

Third: I use them on a daily basis for the guild leveling and if I have some left they always get used on the go. So I actually safe my gold instead of selling stuff.

I know I am about to sound condescending but the celestial and ley-stone tools were far far far from the most annoying things about leveling a guild. The pvp potions. omg. You would think we were asking for first-born-children. I think everything else major can be bought(other than the aforementioned celestial things) but you have to actually go out and pvp to get the potions and THEN get them donated. Yet I never hear this moaned about. Maybe other guilds had folks who were more willing to both pvp and give them up than ours but that was literally the thing we waited on the most. Every time. Hrm, actually, there are a couple other things that can't be bought: the super adventure box music boxes and the Gift of Music. Our guild leaders themselves donated those, though.

And you don't even need that MANY celestial things. I think it caps out at ten?

> > It's buggy me for a long time now.

> In what way is it buggy?

>

> It's guaranteed: once per day, at any channel-type hero challenge (including the one you can get for your home instance), as long as you have 25 ordinary quartz in inventory.

>

> For all the achievements that ask for charged quartz, there's a TP alternative route. (And nothing stops you from charging after you reach your goal, then selling to others that come after you; if you're careful, it's possible to even profit relative to your initial costs, although more commonly you'll end up recouping 70-80% of what you spent.)

>

> Obtaining more than one charged quartz per day is either expensive or requires luck (usually both).

Pretty sure he meant bugged.

> @"Klowdy.3126" said:

> > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > @"InsaneQR.7412" said:

> > > It's buggy me for a long time now.

> > In what way is it buggy?

> >

> > It's guaranteed: once per day, at any channel-type hero challenge (including the one you can get for your home instance), as long as you have 25 ordinary quartz in inventory.

> >

> > For all the achievements that ask for charged quartz, there's a TP alternative route. (And nothing stops you from charging after you reach your goal, then selling to others that come after you; if you're careful, it's possible to even profit relative to your initial costs, although more commonly you'll end up recouping 70-80% of what you spent.)

> >

> > Obtaining more than one charged quartz per day is either expensive or requires luck (usually both).

>

> Pretty sure he meant bugged.

Yes, [someone established that above](https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/comment/958382/#Comment_958382).

> @"Etria.3642" said:

> I know I am about to sound condescending but the celestial and ley-stone tools were far far far from the most annoying things about leveling a guild. The pvp potions. omg. You would think we were asking for first-born-children. I think everything else major can be bought(other than the aforementioned celestial things) but you have to actually go out and pvp to get the potions and THEN get them donated. Yet I never hear this moaned about. Maybe other guilds had folks who were more willing to both pvp and give them up than ours but that was literally the thing we waited on the most. Every time. Hrm, actually, there are a couple other things that can't be bought: the super adventure box music boxes and the Gift of Music. Our guild leaders themselves donated those, though.

>

> And you don't even need that MANY celestial things. I think it caps out at ten?

Yeah that's a problem too we have to confront.

I think custom conquest gives you potions so we try to solve it this way.

Yeah but with 5 active players that play about 2 times a week due To RL 10 celestial in scripts take weeks to make.

As i said above: Guild bound could be an elegant solution to this.