Charged Quartz crystal Time gating

This bugs me quite a while now.

First and firemost: Why are the account bound? We cannot even trade them between guild mates.

Secondly: Why only one per day and not lets say 5?

You cannot even make 1 celestial inscription a day. If you wanna have celestial gear you have to craft it for 30 days straight.

And now especially when you use them for collections you wanna do it slows you down si

gnificantly just because of a restriction.

I can understand why there is some time gating. I mean the restriction that you can only do one collection of a meta collection per day is totally fine for me. But if you struggle to help your guild or progress in collections just because you can only generate one per day is stupid.

Please change the restriction to something more enjoyable like once per day per character or 5 times a day or remove the account bound restriction. Just do something to improve the charged crystal handling for all kinds of activities. It's just really cumbersome.

You could make this argument for any of the time gated crafting materials though. Why are Lumps of Mithrillium time gated and account bound?

Truth be known, Charged Crystals had very little use prior to the Skyscale, and were mainly used to make Celestial gear.

In a game where endgame BIS gear is crafted by the player, we are going to see time gated and account bound materials. I think it's a fair compromise vs. killing a boss every day hoping they drop the chest piece you need, and that you then win the roll to get it.

> @"Voltekka.2375" said:

> I remember wvwers crying when cele stats were (still are, on very few builds) meta. Oh, the memories. They didnt change it then, cant see em changing it now.

It's one of the reasons why I have so many Chargeq Quartz - was saving them up for when I felt like giving Scourge a try. Then BAM, now the meta build is Marauder...so much cheaper to craft lol.

and you get loads of them during those different festvials. They are often part of the halloween, winter etc bags. Got around hundred or more in my bank and crafted mybe max. 10 on my own in the last year. Of course this only counts if u are able to play those events.

> @"Turkeyspit.3965" said:

> You could make this argument for any of the time gated crafting materials though. Why are Lumps of Mithrillium time gated and account bound?

>

> Truth be known, Charged Crystals had very little use prior to the Skyscale, and were mainly used to make Celestial gear.

>

> In a game where endgame BIS gear is crafted by the player, we are going to see time gated and account bound materials. I think it's a fair compromise vs. killing a boss every day hoping they drop the chest piece you need, and that you then win the roll to get it.

Its not even mainly due to skyscale. It's buggy me for a long time now.

You don't even craft it really. Other stuff you can atleast farm for.

Quartz crystals (normal ones) are so abundant that I don't even look for them. It's just the waiting game and it's horribly unfun.

And ascended crafting materials can atleast be bought. Charged crystals you cannot.

> @"Jayden Reese.9542" said:

> It's one of those things. You probably have played 200 days and all 200 days you didn't make one. Now you want a set of something and see you need 30 so you complain that it's an issue.

A literally do them every day and I use them mainly for the guild. It's a chore how long this could take and if you wanna make gear it's even worse. The skyscale just make write this post not the reason why I wanna change it bugs me for ages now.

Atleast make themselfs buy able would be reasonable. Ascended crafting materials can be bought too and charged crystals are not even ascended nor expensive.

> @"InsaneQR.7412" said:

> > @"Turkeyspit.3965" said:

> > You could make this argument for any of the time gated crafting materials though. Why are Lumps of Mithrillium time gated and account bound?

> >

> > Truth be known, Charged Crystals had very little use prior to the Skyscale, and were mainly used to make Celestial gear.

> >

> > In a game where endgame BIS gear is crafted by the player, we are going to see time gated and account bound materials. I think it's a fair compromise vs. killing a boss every day hoping they drop the chest piece you need, and that you then win the roll to get it.

>

> Its not even mainly due to skyscale. It's buggy me for a long time now.

> You don't even craft it really. Other stuff you can atleast farm for.

> Quartz crystals (normal ones) are so abundant that I don't even look for them. It's just the waiting game and it's horribly unfun.

> And ascended crafting materials can atleast be bought. Charged crystals you cannot.

>

Sure you can farm for it.

Once a day.

>! > @"InsaneQR.7412" said:

>! > It's buggy me for a long time now.

>! In what way is it buggy?

>!

It's guaranteed: once per day, at any channel-type hero challenge (including the one you can get for your home instance), as long as you have 25 ordinary quartz in inventory.

For all the achievements that ask for charged quartz, there's a TP alternative route. (And nothing stops you from charging after you reach your goal, then selling to others that come after you; if you're careful, it's possible to even profit relative to your initial costs, although more commonly you'll end up recouping 70-80% of what you spent.)

Obtaining more than one charged quartz per day is either expensive or requires luck (usually both).

_edit: hid the original comment (which included a typo) and my reply (which initiated the response); leaving the rest up because it's still potentially helpful to people, as it offers work-arounds and source._

> @"Dawdler.8521" said:

> Sure you can farm for it.

>

> Once a day.

I mean the materials used. You don't need to farm for it because they are so abundant.

And I wouldn't call it farm if you just go to a hero point and press a button.

If you could only make a new one at a new hero point would make this atleast fun.

You could run from hero point to hero point to gather some you need.

Or as I said earlier. Make them atleast buyable from the TP.

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > @"InsaneQR.7412" said:

> > It's buggy me for a long time now.

I think they meant to say "bugged", as in, 'this has bugged me for a long time now'.

> @"InsaneQR.7412" said:

> And ascended crafting materials can atleast be bought. Charged crystals you cannot.

>

What do you mean by that? Are we talking about the same thing when you say "ascended crafting materials"? Because Lumps of Mithrillium are account bound, and certainly cannot be purchased. Same Spools, Globs, etc.

EDIT: let me add, I'm not a huge fan of time gated materials, and for Quarts, I see 25 Quartz ---> 1 Charged Quartz as excessive, but then again, the last time I used them was to craft the Grow Lamp and other items related to Skyscale. Until then I don't think I've used Charged Quartz for anything, or if I did, it was exceedingly rare and small. So no point in being bothered by something that's insignificant for the majority of people the majority of the time.

> > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > @"InsaneQR.7412" said:

> > > It's buggy me for a long time now.

>

> I think they meant to say "bugged", as in, 'this has bugged me for a long time now'.

>

> > @"InsaneQR.7412" said:

> > And ascended crafting materials can atleast be bought. Charged crystals you cannot.

> >

>

> What do you mean by that? Are we talking about the same thing when you say "ascended crafting materials"? Because Lumps of Mithrillium are account bound, and certainly cannot be purchased. Same Spools, Globs, etc.

>

> EDIT: let me add, I'm not a huge fan of time gated materials, and for Quarts, I see 25 Quartz ---> 1 Charged Quartz as excessive, but then again, the last time I used them was to craft the Grow Lamp and other items related to Skyscale. Until then I don't think I've used Charged Quartz for anything, or if I did, it was exceedingly rare and small. So no point in being bothered by something that's insignificant for the majority of people the majority of the time.

Thx for the grammar correct. My autocorrect skrewed me over again.

And yes you are right Mithrillium and spools are account bound.

I messed up a bit and mixed it with the not account bound products of these materials.

Mainly I wnat them no longer be account bound so I can help my Guildies and they can help me.

Its annoying. And I use it for small stuff not even gear.

I just think it's not necessary that they are account bound.

> @"InsaneQR.7412" said:

> Mainly I wnat them no longer be account bound so I can help my Guildies and they can help me.

> Its annoying. And I use it for small stuff not even gear.

> I just think it's not necessary that they are account bound.

Account bound stuff sucks, I agree, but then do we want players to be able to get best in slot gear (BIS) from the TP, using gold they got from selling gems? Do we want players to swipe their credit card and have full ascended armor and 150 AR and walk in to T4 fractals right away?

Most MMOs rely on a drop system, or currency/badge turn in for end game gear. In GW2 that gear is crafted by the player. So while crafting in this game can be painful, and it isn't much fun leveling the crafting professions, I think it's a necessary trade off.

We get to control on when we get our BIS gear by crafting it ourselves, with the downside that for much of it, we can only do it ourselves.

Having played the RNG drop system in WoW for many years, I really like controlling when I get my gear upgrades vs. going into an instance, killing a boss, and hopeI get lucky.

> > @"Voltekka.2375" said:

> > I remember wvwers crying when cele stats were (still are, on very few builds) meta. Oh, the memories. They didnt change it then, cant see em changing it now.

>

> It's one of the reasons why I have so many Chargeq Quartz - was saving them up for when I felt like giving Scourge a try. Then BAM, now the meta build is Marauder...so much cheaper to craft lol.

>

Now you can get all your celestial gear through WvW/PvP/Verdant Brink so that is technically changed but in a completely different way. WvW/PvP also covers the weapons.

What do you use mithrillium for that you cannot buy the end material?

Deldrimor ingots are not account bound nor are xunlai ingots.

The ley-infused tools used for guild halls are tradable.

Literally the only thing that isn't are the cele crafting things.

> > @"Voltekka.2375" said:

> > I remember wvwers crying when cele stats were (still are, on very few builds) meta. Oh, the memories. They didnt change it then, cant see em changing it now.

>

> It's one of the reasons why I have so many Chargeq Quartz - was saving them up for when I felt like giving Scourge a try. Then BAM, now the meta build is Marauder...so much cheaper to craft lol.

>

Depending on how good your firebrands are, cele scourge is still great.

> @"Etria.3642" said:

> What do you use mithrillium for that you cannot buy the end material?

>

> Deldrimor ingots are not account bound nor are xunlai ingots.

>

> The ley-infused tools used for guild halls are tradable.

>

> Literally the only thing that isn't are the cele crafting things.

I guess OP just doesn't want to pay with time or with gold but who doesn't want free stuff? :)

>

> Account bound stuff sucks, I agree, but then do we want players to be able to get best in slot gear (BIS) from the TP, using gold they got from selling gems? Do we want players to swipe their credit card and have full ascended armor and 150 AR and walk in to T4 fractals right away?

>

The answer is YES. And the situation is already possible now. If you have a good credit card you can gear for fractals in max 3 hours, starting from 0 with the crafting. You can buy the finite T7 materials. You cannot buy the "precursors" for T7(I never bothered to remember the names, this is why I call this kind of materials "precursors"). But the Deldrimor ingot / Spritwood / Elonian Leather / Bolt of Damasc, you can buy them.

But you cannot buy a Charged Quartz.

Advising the OP to craft one every day just in case of a situation when he will need them is not answering the question: **Why this timegate? Why you cannot sell/trade them? How can this serve the interest of a player involved in a guild effort to upgrade something?**

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> Obtaining more than one charged quartz per day is either expensive or requires luck (usually both).

And this is exactly the point of this debate: **Why?**

As a funny note: Almost none of the posters not agreeing with the OP gave a valid reason why this should remain as it is except one - a honest answer:

> @"Tyncale.1629" said:

> I love the timegate because that is the exact reason why the Skyscale Treats still sell for good Gold. Please do not change this, let me make some gold with it.

Respect for this opinion :). Still, two details remain:

1. At one moment you will run out of Charged Quartz. And you will not have this reason anymore. What will be your attitude at that moment?

2. If you allow the sale of the Charged Quartz, the food will be still craftable. And you may sell the Quartz. Even more expensive, because it will be used for another purposes too.

> @"Cristalyan.5728" said:

> > @"Turkeyspit.3965" said:

> > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

>

> > Obtaining more than one charged quartz per day is either expensive or requires luck (usually both).

>

> And this is exactly the point of this debate: **Why?**

Actually, no, the topic of the post is that it bugs the OP.

>

> As a funny note: Almost none of the posters not agreeing with the OP

Actually, hardly anyone is disagreeing with the OP. No one loves time gates, not even the devs.

The difference is that some people recognize that there are reasons for time gates, that some of the effects are positive for the community. Which is why, despite the downsides, that game companies still use time gates.

> gave a valid reason why this should remain as it is except one

People have offered reasons; you simply don't like them. That doesn't mean there aren't any valid ones.

On the whole, though, in this case, probably the most important reason is: no one has offered a _compelling_ reason why it's worth any effort to change it. Anyone can stockpile charged quartz, and many have explained how & why they did so. Anyone can bypass the gating for it for all but a handful of uses, by spending some extra gold on the TP.

Since the day it was introduced, I've advocated that ANet choose one gate: time gating _or_ account binding. And the reason that they haven't changed that in all these years (aside from ANet not paying any more attention to my ideas than anyone else does) is... there's no compelling reason to change it. Someone still has to figure out the potential economic effects and have a plan to address them, before|during|after a change. Someone still has to plan|design|test|implement|support the change. The benefits, as outlined by many people, simply don't add up to something worth the costs.

tl;dr

* No one is _defending_ time gates as "fun."

* There are good reasons for time gates, despite the annoyances.

* There are good reasons to remove historical gates, despite the original rationale.

* In the absence of a compelling reason, the status quo wins over changing things, because it's simpler and cheaper.