Can we get optional gem subscriptions?

> @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > @"Knighthonor.4061" said:

> > i am against this because soon after adding this feature they will start adding bonus to those that use this feature

>

> So ... the problem here is what? You don't like the idea that Anet would give benefits to people that patronize the game periodically? That doesn't really make any sense ... unless you are simply one of those jealous types.

Hé's worried that the change would lead to a game with first class and second class citizens (players) as happens in ESO.

I'm more interested in to known what is ANet next step in terms of expansion/specializations, since I don't care about the PvE stuff and PvP/WvW have been neglected for years...

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"The Ace.9105" said:

> > @"Firebeard.1746" said:

> > I don't want to have to go through the shop ui every time i want to contribute to this game and anet may make some extra money on people who just stop playing and want to support anet ( my boss at work for example pays his WoW sub even when he's not playing because he loves the lore/blizzard).

> >

> > I don't want special perks or anything else and i want the rate to be customizable. Craft bags and the continuous stream of new crating mats ruined eso for me.

>

> The gemstore money you spend does not go to supporting gw2 but it goes to funding ncsoft that funds anet which at this point is focusing on the side projects so maybe like 1-10% you spend goes to actually supporting the game.

> @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> > @"The Ace.9105" said:

> > > @"Firebeard.1746" said:

> > > I don't want to have to go through the shop ui every time i want to contribute to this game and anet may make some extra money on people who just stop playing and want to support anet ( my boss at work for example pays his WoW sub even when he's not playing because he loves the lore/blizzard).

> > >

> > > I don't want special perks or anything else and i want the rate to be customizable. Craft bags and the continuous stream of new crating mats ruined eso for me.

> >

> > The gemstore money you spend does not go to supporting gw2 but it goes to funding ncsoft that funds anet which at this point is focusing on the side projects so maybe like 1-10% you spend goes to actually supporting the game.

>

> I'd be interested to see the source of the claim that ArenaNet is 'focusing on the side projects' that were publicly stated to have been shut down. Or any side projects, for that matter.

Not only that but TheAce.9105 flat out wrong on whom the money goes to, Digital River, the company that processes the Gem purchases for ArenaNet was hired by ArenaNet to handle the retail side so ArenaNet wouldn't have to hire people for that purpose. This game has been funded solely by ArenaNet since day 1, that was one of the important points made way back at launch. The only thing that NCSoft has done since then is roll publishing back into NCSoft West(which itself is under NCSoft), ArenaNet is still left pretty much to it's own as far as income goes...i.e.: the Gem Shop money goes directly to ArenaNet.

> @"Buran.3796" said:

> > @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > > @"Knighthonor.4061" said:

> > > i am against this because soon after adding this feature they will start adding bonus to those that use this feature

> >

> > So ... the problem here is what? You don't like the idea that Anet would give benefits to people that patronize the game periodically? That doesn't really make any sense ... unless you are simply one of those jealous types.

>

> Hé's worried that the change would lead to a game with first class and second class citizens (players) as happens in ESO.

>

> I'm more interested in to known what is ANet next step in terms of expansion/specializations, since I don't care about the PvE stuff and PvP/WvW have been neglected for years...

I don't get how that would happen though ... the gems the first class citizens buy pay for the game for the second class ones ... it's a GOOD thing.

> @"Obtena.7952" said:

>

> I don't get how that would happen though ... the gems the first class citizens buy pay for the game for the second class ones ... it's a GOOD thing.

The gems those first class citizens are buying (and which I bought in the past) aren't paying anything for me, tho. I main a class which uses the same build at PvP/WvW since its release at HoT and those game modes remain largely unchanged since. The number of hours I used to play the game in 2017 just collapsed in 2018 and is going down in 2019. What's in the horizon for GW2?

> @"Buran.3796" said:

> > @"Obtena.7952" said:

>

> >

> > I don't get how that would happen though ... the gems the first class citizens buy pay for the game for the second class ones ... it's a GOOD thing.

>

> The gems those first class citizens are buying (and which I bought in the past) aren't paying anything for me, tho. I main a class which uses the same build at PvP/WvW since its release at HoT and those game modes remain largely unchanged since. The number of hours I used to play the game in 2017 just collapsed in 2018 and is going down in 2019. What's in the horizon for GW2?

>

>

>

>

That doesn't make sense ... What you play as a class isn't relevant to the discussion here. Not every thread is a soapbox for player's being angry.

Bottomline: People that buy gems are subsidizing those that don't and when someone proposes a way to get people to buy more gems, it makes no sense when someone wants to impose restrictions on it because they simply don't like it.

> @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > i am against this because soon after adding this feature they will start adding bonus to those that use this feature

>

> So ... the problem here is what? You don't like the idea that Anet would give benefits to people that patronize the game periodically? That doesn't really make any sense ... unless you are simply one of those jealous types.

Bonus becomes P2W, especially has population dies down . This would be a killer

> @"Knighthonor.4061" said:

> > @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > > @"Knighthonor.4061" said:

> > > i am against this because soon after adding this feature they will start adding bonus to those that use this feature

> >

> > So ... the problem here is what? You don't like the idea that Anet would give benefits to people that patronize the game periodically? That doesn't really make any sense ... unless you are simply one of those jealous types.

>

> Bonus becomes P2W, especially has population dies down . This would be a killer

That doesn't make sense in this case ... It's gems. Gems don't make you 'win'.

> If it's Gems and as a bonus, say, 20% extra mats when gathering (insert bonus of choice), then it becomes, in some players' eyes, pay2win.

Sure, but I don't think that's what is being proposed.

The idea that buying gems is P2W is absurd, considering that anyone can buy them since the beginning of the game.

> @"crepuscular.9047" said:

> I don't mind, as long as Anet is charging in AUD and processed locally in AUS, cos every time i buy gems I gotta take the currency rate and offshore processing fees into consideration

This. My only wish is to be able to buy gems in AUD to avoid our horrible conversion rates and fees. (atm 67-69 cents to the dollar)

We used to be able to buy gem cards in game stores but they've vanished a few years back - god how I miss those

> @"Danikat.8537" said:

> I can see the benefit for some people of automating the process of buying a fixed amount of gems each month, although it's not something I'd use because I only buy gems when there's something in the store I want and I don't have enough left over from before. But I would be wary of the potential for it to progress beyond that with incentives being added to keep people using that system.

>

> > @"Thornwolf.9721" said:

> > I would be ok if it functioned like ESO where if you pay the subscription you get the expansions and all the crafting expansions/maybe some exp increase toward said things without having to buy them seperatly. And then get an allowance of 1000 gems every month as a thank you to buy a costume, skin or some such thing because then the value is there. As it stands now what you suggest is just a lazy way for them to milk, in an excessively unhealthy fashion money from the consumer without much thought needing to be put into what they sell.

>

> Like the OP I'd be opposed to adding any extra perks to a regular gem purchase or subscription type system precisely because of how it works in Elder Scrolls Online. Aside from the tiny XP and gold boosts which no one seems to care about enough to even mention them most of the time all the perks which have been added to ESO+ over time are things which otherwise would have been base game upgrades available to everyone and I'd hate to see Anet under the same pressure to restrict quality of life changes to a minority of players in order to pressure us into spending more on the game.

>

> We don't have to worry about the crafting material storage (the thing most ESO+ subscribers say they pay for - even going as far as to call it being 'held hostage' to the system) because that's been in GW2 since release, but there's plenty of other QoL ideas players keep requesting which could easily be tied to a subscription system.

They can prob add some incentives that doesnt really make the game unplayable without and add value, one thing like thos would be to have all the lw episodes be unlocked as long as you have the sub running, regardless if you missed them or not (ofc the ones you didnt ud have available by default).

Alot of ppl pay dub in eso to also get acess to most dlc content for its rewards and then choose to sub or not. It would also make it much more simple for new players who dont really want to go through the lw purchase hassle, just pay the sub and u get all the content unlocked.

They had that 4 week item bundle that gave you stuff each week and had a big discount the first week and with each week it got smaller. I think that was good enough even though some items inside were crappy, but at discount it was worth for the mount skins if you liked them.

> @"zealex.9410" said:

> > @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > I can see the benefit for some people of automating the process of buying a fixed amount of gems each month, although it's not something I'd use because I only buy gems when there's something in the store I want and I don't have enough left over from before. But I would be wary of the potential for it to progress beyond that with incentives being added to keep people using that system.

> >

> > > @"Thornwolf.9721" said:

> > > I would be ok if it functioned like ESO where if you pay the subscription you get the expansions and all the crafting expansions/maybe some exp increase toward said things without having to buy them seperatly. And then get an allowance of 1000 gems every month as a thank you to buy a costume, skin or some such thing because then the value is there. As it stands now what you suggest is just a lazy way for them to milk, in an excessively unhealthy fashion money from the consumer without much thought needing to be put into what they sell.

> >

> > Like the OP I'd be opposed to adding any extra perks to a regular gem purchase or subscription type system precisely because of how it works in Elder Scrolls Online. Aside from the tiny XP and gold boosts which no one seems to care about enough to even mention them most of the time all the perks which have been added to ESO+ over time are things which otherwise would have been base game upgrades available to everyone and I'd hate to see Anet under the same pressure to restrict quality of life changes to a minority of players in order to pressure us into spending more on the game.

> >

> > We don't have to worry about the crafting material storage (the thing most ESO+ subscribers say they pay for - even going as far as to call it being 'held hostage' to the system) because that's been in GW2 since release, but there's plenty of other QoL ideas players keep requesting which could easily be tied to a subscription system.

>

> They can prob add some incentives that doesnt really make the game unplayable without and add value, one thing like thos would be to have all the lw episodes be unlocked as long as you have the sub running, regardless if you missed them or not (ofc the ones you didnt ud have available by default).

>

> Alot of ppl pay dub in eso to also get acess to most dlc content for its rewards and then choose to sub or not. It would also make it much more simple for new players who dont really want to go through the lw purchase hassle, just pay the sub and u get all the content unlocked.

So, would the Living World Season maps be open only as long as those players subbed, or would it just be an easy/inexpensive way to unlock missed Living World Season map by subbing one month and then cancelling?

Let's say for a moment that the OP's monthly optional gem purchase were put into the game. Notice I did not call it a subscription -- but s/he did. At some point, the inevitable will happen. People will notice that it's "like" a subscription. Someone is going to get ideas and voice them. That someone might be players, it might be the monetization people at ANet. It might be someone at NCSoft. If it's players, there will be the inevitable comment that the "sub" doesn't offer enough, that it needs more to be worthwhile. If it's ANet or NCSoft, it might be someone will say, "Hey, more money could be made if we tied things to it that players won't want to do without." I realize this is a slippery slope argument, but in this case, I think it's warranted. Expecting people not to be people is a mistake.

> @"mindcircus.1506" said:

>

> Yeah it would be terrible to see a company reward loyal customers.

GW2 has a huge following of loyal customers who will buy any GW2 game and expansion and maybe some gems but who will never step into something with a timely subscription. Sure, the idea of a timely gem subscription won't hurt anyone but it opens the road for a slippery slope of exclusive rewards for subscribers. This could hurt the current playerbase.

> > @"zealex.9410" said:

> > > @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > > I can see the benefit for some people of automating the process of buying a fixed amount of gems each month, although it's not something I'd use because I only buy gems when there's something in the store I want and I don't have enough left over from before. But I would be wary of the potential for it to progress beyond that with incentives being added to keep people using that system.

> > >

> > > > @"Thornwolf.9721" said:

> > > > I would be ok if it functioned like ESO where if you pay the subscription you get the expansions and all the crafting expansions/maybe some exp increase toward said things without having to buy them seperatly. And then get an allowance of 1000 gems every month as a thank you to buy a costume, skin or some such thing because then the value is there. As it stands now what you suggest is just a lazy way for them to milk, in an excessively unhealthy fashion money from the consumer without much thought needing to be put into what they sell.

> > >

> > > Like the OP I'd be opposed to adding any extra perks to a regular gem purchase or subscription type system precisely because of how it works in Elder Scrolls Online. Aside from the tiny XP and gold boosts which no one seems to care about enough to even mention them most of the time all the perks which have been added to ESO+ over time are things which otherwise would have been base game upgrades available to everyone and I'd hate to see Anet under the same pressure to restrict quality of life changes to a minority of players in order to pressure us into spending more on the game.

> > >

> > > We don't have to worry about the crafting material storage (the thing most ESO+ subscribers say they pay for - even going as far as to call it being 'held hostage' to the system) because that's been in GW2 since release, but there's plenty of other QoL ideas players keep requesting which could easily be tied to a subscription system.

> >

> > They can prob add some incentives that doesnt really make the game unplayable without and add value, one thing like thos would be to have all the lw episodes be unlocked as long as you have the sub running, regardless if you missed them or not (ofc the ones you didnt ud have available by default).

> >

> > Alot of ppl pay dub in eso to also get acess to most dlc content for its rewards and then choose to sub or not. It would also make it much more simple for new players who dont really want to go through the lw purchase hassle, just pay the sub and u get all the content unlocked.

>

> So, would the Living World Season maps be open only as long as those players subbed, or would it just be an easy/inexpensive way to unlock missed Living World Season map by subbing one month and then cancelling?

Lw would be exactly as is now, they would just be available to you if you are subbed, u could prob buy the episodes with the gems from the sub if you wanted them past the sub. Like it is in eso, u get acess to all dlc with the sub for the duration of your subscription, then u can buy the episodes if you want to own them without a sub.

> @"zealex.9410" said:

> > @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> > > @"zealex.9410" said:

> > > > @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > > > I can see the benefit for some people of automating the process of buying a fixed amount of gems each month, although it's not something I'd use because I only buy gems when there's something in the store I want and I don't have enough left over from before. But I would be wary of the potential for it to progress beyond that with incentives being added to keep people using that system.

> > > >

> > > > > @"Thornwolf.9721" said:

> > > > > I would be ok if it functioned like ESO where if you pay the subscription you get the expansions and all the crafting expansions/maybe some exp increase toward said things without having to buy them seperatly. And then get an allowance of 1000 gems every month as a thank you to buy a costume, skin or some such thing because then the value is there. As it stands now what you suggest is just a lazy way for them to milk, in an excessively unhealthy fashion money from the consumer without much thought needing to be put into what they sell.

> > > >

> > > > Like the OP I'd be opposed to adding any extra perks to a regular gem purchase or subscription type system precisely because of how it works in Elder Scrolls Online. Aside from the tiny XP and gold boosts which no one seems to care about enough to even mention them most of the time all the perks which have been added to ESO+ over time are things which otherwise would have been base game upgrades available to everyone and I'd hate to see Anet under the same pressure to restrict quality of life changes to a minority of players in order to pressure us into spending more on the game.

> > > >

> > > > We don't have to worry about the crafting material storage (the thing most ESO+ subscribers say they pay for - even going as far as to call it being 'held hostage' to the system) because that's been in GW2 since release, but there's plenty of other QoL ideas players keep requesting which could easily be tied to a subscription system.

> > >

> > > They can prob add some incentives that doesnt really make the game unplayable without and add value, one thing like thos would be to have all the lw episodes be unlocked as long as you have the sub running, regardless if you missed them or not (ofc the ones you didnt ud have available by default).

> > >

> > > Alot of ppl pay dub in eso to also get acess to most dlc content for its rewards and then choose to sub or not. It would also make it much more simple for new players who dont really want to go through the lw purchase hassle, just pay the sub and u get all the content unlocked.

> >

> > So, would the Living World Season maps be open only as long as those players subbed, or would it just be an easy/inexpensive way to unlock missed Living World Season map by subbing one month and then cancelling?

>

> Lw would be exactly as is now, they would just be available to you if you are subbed, u could prob buy the episodes with the gems from the sub if you wanted them past the sub. Like it is in eso, u get acess to all dlc with the sub for the duration of your subscription, then u can buy the episodes if you want to own them without a sub.

No thank you. Please don't force this type of subscription model on me.

> @"zealex.9410" said:

> > @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> > > > @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > > > I can see the benefit for some people of automating the process of buying a fixed amount of gems each month, although it's not something I'd use because I only buy gems when there's something in the store I want and I don't have enough left over from before. But I would be wary of the potential for it to progress beyond that with incentives being added to keep people using that system.

> > > >

> > > > > @"Thornwolf.9721" said:

> > > > > I would be ok if it functioned like ESO where if you pay the subscription you get the expansions and all the crafting expansions/maybe some exp increase toward said things without having to buy them seperatly. And then get an allowance of 1000 gems every month as a thank you to buy a costume, skin or some such thing because then the value is there. As it stands now what you suggest is just a lazy way for them to milk, in an excessively unhealthy fashion money from the consumer without much thought needing to be put into what they sell.

> > > >

> > > > Like the OP I'd be opposed to adding any extra perks to a regular gem purchase or subscription type system precisely because of how it works in Elder Scrolls Online. Aside from the tiny XP and gold boosts which no one seems to care about enough to even mention them most of the time all the perks which have been added to ESO+ over time are things which otherwise would have been base game upgrades available to everyone and I'd hate to see Anet under the same pressure to restrict quality of life changes to a minority of players in order to pressure us into spending more on the game.

> > > >

> > > > We don't have to worry about the crafting material storage (the thing most ESO+ subscribers say they pay for - even going as far as to call it being 'held hostage' to the system) because that's been in GW2 since release, but there's plenty of other QoL ideas players keep requesting which could easily be tied to a subscription system.

> > >

> > > They can prob add some incentives that doesnt really make the game unplayable without and add value, one thing like thos would be to have all the lw episodes be unlocked as long as you have the sub running, regardless if you missed them or not (ofc the ones you didnt ud have available by default).

> > >

> > > Alot of ppl pay dub in eso to also get acess to most dlc content for its rewards and then choose to sub or not. It would also make it much more simple for new players who dont really want to go through the lw purchase hassle, just pay the sub and u get all the content unlocked.

> >

> > So, would the Living World Season maps be open only as long as those players subbed, or would it just be an easy/inexpensive way to unlock missed Living World Season map by subbing one month and then cancelling?

>

> Lw would be exactly as is now, they would just be available to you if you are subbed, u could prob buy the episodes with the gems from the sub if you wanted them past the sub. Like it is in eso, u get acess to all dlc with the sub for the duration of your subscription, then u can buy the episodes if you want to own them without a sub.

Can you imagine the mob with pitchforks on the forums when people realize that while they have access to the living story episodes now, they still can't do anything with that access unless they buy the corresponding expansion? Or should they just give access to living story to players who own the matching expansion but charge everyone the same regardless of expansion purchase? I doubt either of those alternatives would go well for ANet. Plus I suspect that the majority of the playerbase already has living story unlocked (either by being there or by buying it already), so how do you tempt them to pay for a(n optional) subscription when one of the major perks is useless to them?

> @"kharmin.7683" said:

> > @"zealex.9410" said:

> > > @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> > > > @"zealex.9410" said:

> > > > > @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > > > > I can see the benefit for some people of automating the process of buying a fixed amount of gems each month, although it's not something I'd use because I only buy gems when there's something in the store I want and I don't have enough left over from before. But I would be wary of the potential for it to progress beyond that with incentives being added to keep people using that system.

> > > > >

> > > > > > @"Thornwolf.9721" said:

> > > > > > I would be ok if it functioned like ESO where if you pay the subscription you get the expansions and all the crafting expansions/maybe some exp increase toward said things without having to buy them seperatly. And then get an allowance of 1000 gems every month as a thank you to buy a costume, skin or some such thing because then the value is there. As it stands now what you suggest is just a lazy way for them to milk, in an excessively unhealthy fashion money from the consumer without much thought needing to be put into what they sell.

> > > > >

> > > > > Like the OP I'd be opposed to adding any extra perks to a regular gem purchase or subscription type system precisely because of how it works in Elder Scrolls Online. Aside from the tiny XP and gold boosts which no one seems to care about enough to even mention them most of the time all the perks which have been added to ESO+ over time are things which otherwise would have been base game upgrades available to everyone and I'd hate to see Anet under the same pressure to restrict quality of life changes to a minority of players in order to pressure us into spending more on the game.

> > > > >

> > > > > We don't have to worry about the crafting material storage (the thing most ESO+ subscribers say they pay for - even going as far as to call it being 'held hostage' to the system) because that's been in GW2 since release, but there's plenty of other QoL ideas players keep requesting which could easily be tied to a subscription system.

> > > >

> > > > They can prob add some incentives that doesnt really make the game unplayable without and add value, one thing like thos would be to have all the lw episodes be unlocked as long as you have the sub running, regardless if you missed them or not (ofc the ones you didnt ud have available by default).

> > > >

> > > > Alot of ppl pay dub in eso to also get acess to most dlc content for its rewards and then choose to sub or not. It would also make it much more simple for new players who dont really want to go through the lw purchase hassle, just pay the sub and u get all the content unlocked.

> > >

> > > So, would the Living World Season maps be open only as long as those players subbed, or would it just be an easy/inexpensive way to unlock missed Living World Season map by subbing one month and then cancelling?

> >

> > Lw would be exactly as is now, they would just be available to you if you are subbed, u could prob buy the episodes with the gems from the sub if you wanted them past the sub. Like it is in eso, u get acess to all dlc with the sub for the duration of your subscription, then u can buy the episodes if you want to own them without a sub.

>

> No thank you. Please don't force this type of subscription model on me.

Nobody forcing anything? I repeat, lw would be exactly as is now.

> @"zealex.9410" said:

> > @"kharmin.7683" said:

> > > > @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> > > > > @"zealex.9410" said:

> > > > > > @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > > > > > I can see the benefit for some people of automating the process of buying a fixed amount of gems each month, although it's not something I'd use because I only buy gems when there's something in the store I want and I don't have enough left over from before. But I would be wary of the potential for it to progress beyond that with incentives being added to keep people using that system.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > > @"Thornwolf.9721" said:

> > > > > > > I would be ok if it functioned like ESO where if you pay the subscription you get the expansions and all the crafting expansions/maybe some exp increase toward said things without having to buy them seperatly. And then get an allowance of 1000 gems every month as a thank you to buy a costume, skin or some such thing because then the value is there. As it stands now what you suggest is just a lazy way for them to milk, in an excessively unhealthy fashion money from the consumer without much thought needing to be put into what they sell.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Like the OP I'd be opposed to adding any extra perks to a regular gem purchase or subscription type system precisely because of how it works in Elder Scrolls Online. Aside from the tiny XP and gold boosts which no one seems to care about enough to even mention them most of the time all the perks which have been added to ESO+ over time are things which otherwise would have been base game upgrades available to everyone and I'd hate to see Anet under the same pressure to restrict quality of life changes to a minority of players in order to pressure us into spending more on the game.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > We don't have to worry about the crafting material storage (the thing most ESO+ subscribers say they pay for - even going as far as to call it being 'held hostage' to the system) because that's been in GW2 since release, but there's plenty of other QoL ideas players keep requesting which could easily be tied to a subscription system.

> > > > >

> > > > > They can prob add some incentives that doesnt really make the game unplayable without and add value, one thing like thos would be to have all the lw episodes be unlocked as long as you have the sub running, regardless if you missed them or not (ofc the ones you didnt ud have available by default).

> > > > >

> > > > > Alot of ppl pay dub in eso to also get acess to most dlc content for its rewards and then choose to sub or not. It would also make it much more simple for new players who dont really want to go through the lw purchase hassle, just pay the sub and u get all the content unlocked.

> > > >

> > > > So, would the Living World Season maps be open only as long as those players subbed, or would it just be an easy/inexpensive way to unlock missed Living World Season map by subbing one month and then cancelling?

> > >

> > > Lw would be exactly as is now, they would just be available to you if you are subbed, u could prob buy the episodes with the gems from the sub if you wanted them past the sub. Like it is in eso, u get acess to all dlc with the sub for the duration of your subscription, then u can buy the episodes if you want to own them without a sub.

> >

> > No thank you. Please don't force this type of subscription model on me.

>

> Nobody forcing anything? I repeat, lw would be exactly as is now.

Then, I suppose I don't understand the request.

> @"Rasimir.6239" said:

> > @"zealex.9410" said:

> > > @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> > > > @"zealex.9410" said:

> > > > > @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > > > > I can see the benefit for some people of automating the process of buying a fixed amount of gems each month, although it's not something I'd use because I only buy gems when there's something in the store I want and I don't have enough left over from before. But I would be wary of the potential for it to progress beyond that with incentives being added to keep people using that system.

> > > > >

> > > > > > @"Thornwolf.9721" said:

> > > > > > I would be ok if it functioned like ESO where if you pay the subscription you get the expansions and all the crafting expansions/maybe some exp increase toward said things without having to buy them seperatly. And then get an allowance of 1000 gems every month as a thank you to buy a costume, skin or some such thing because then the value is there. As it stands now what you suggest is just a lazy way for them to milk, in an excessively unhealthy fashion money from the consumer without much thought needing to be put into what they sell.

> > > > >

> > > > > Like the OP I'd be opposed to adding any extra perks to a regular gem purchase or subscription type system precisely because of how it works in Elder Scrolls Online. Aside from the tiny XP and gold boosts which no one seems to care about enough to even mention them most of the time all the perks which have been added to ESO+ over time are things which otherwise would have been base game upgrades available to everyone and I'd hate to see Anet under the same pressure to restrict quality of life changes to a minority of players in order to pressure us into spending more on the game.

> > > > >

> > > > > We don't have to worry about the crafting material storage (the thing most ESO+ subscribers say they pay for - even going as far as to call it being 'held hostage' to the system) because that's been in GW2 since release, but there's plenty of other QoL ideas players keep requesting which could easily be tied to a subscription system.

> > > >

> > > > They can prob add some incentives that doesnt really make the game unplayable without and add value, one thing like thos would be to have all the lw episodes be unlocked as long as you have the sub running, regardless if you missed them or not (ofc the ones you didnt ud have available by default).

> > > >

> > > > Alot of ppl pay dub in eso to also get acess to most dlc content for its rewards and then choose to sub or not. It would also make it much more simple for new players who dont really want to go through the lw purchase hassle, just pay the sub and u get all the content unlocked.

> > >

> > > So, would the Living World Season maps be open only as long as those players subbed, or would it just be an easy/inexpensive way to unlock missed Living World Season map by subbing one month and then cancelling?

> >

> > Lw would be exactly as is now, they would just be available to you if you are subbed, u could prob buy the episodes with the gems from the sub if you wanted them past the sub. Like it is in eso, u get acess to all dlc with the sub for the duration of your subscription, then u can buy the episodes if you want to own them without a sub.

> Can you imagine the mob with pitchforks on the forums when people realize that while they have access to the living story episodes now, they still can't do anything with that access unless they buy the corresponding expansion? Or should they just give access to living story to players who own the matching expansion but charge everyone the same regardless of expansion purchase? I doubt either of those alternatives would go well for ANet. Plus I suspect that the majority of the playerbase already has living story unlocked (either by being there or by buying it already), so how do you tempt them to pay for a(n optional) subscription when one of the major perks is useless to them?

Nothing would change or make ppl more or less angry than they are now. Lw requiring expansions is something that anet should make clear regardless.

The sub would anyways be of value by just being a gem purchase with the ability to renew or purchase a plan to automatically renew so the value is there, the access to lw is mostly a perk to new and returning players who would like to play through the story parts without having to buy them. Most ppl nowdays buy gw2 along with an expansion because its just a better deal overall, ofc ud need to have all expansions to experience the whole story and anet isnt really good at bundling stories in one easy purchase (lwse3 which leads up to the events of pof is tied to hot, se5 which will likely lead to the events of expac 3 (if that happens) will require pof) its anet's job to make that clear to players, to let them know what they need to play what.

Having all that content accessible by either buying it upfront or in a sub wouldnt anger anyone anymore than it already does or doesnt. But the diff with buying it and subbing for it as a new player is that one, you get to play the content without any real cost (a month should be plenty for a new and engaged player to play through the majority of the content), two, you still get the gems from the sub itself so you buy the episodes later on if for w/e reason u wish to do so.

I see it also as a very good deal for someone who quit for a while and lost the better part of a season or 2 and are interested in comming back, you get to play the content granted u got the expansion (as is the deal now) but without buying the lw while also getting gems from the sub to spend on anything u desire.

If ESO and ff14 have shown us anything is that as long as a game imrpoves, new ppl will apear out of thin air that havent tried it and are interested to do so, so having a deal such as this imo is great. Personally i recall asking ppl if i should buy the dlc or pay the sub (just for the dlc, was naive to how shit inventory management is in that game without) and they told me buying the sub to play the content is value.