[POLL] How satisfied are you about the August 30th announcement regarding the future of GW2?

> @"Acheron.4731" said:

> > @"Dice Hazard.1458" said:

> > > @"Vayne.8563" said:

> > > Mostly satisfied. I didn't expect this to be for us, I expected it to be more for new players. To get them into the game. Which is good for me.

> >

> > I'm a new player myself, but I'm unsure how the new announcement affects me? Isn't it all end-game stuff?

>

> The announcement basically means you get more stuff to explore. The problem is that virtually none of the end-game content was satisfied. The veterans are getting bored with what they have left to do and another LS map meant that 'expansion like content' was further off than hoped for. Now, after the Mike Z interview...the hopes of an expansion is likely years off if ever and few veterans will stick around that long. Thus, there is a fear that the game is on a sharp decline and may never make it to an expansion with its current, semi-healthy population.

>

I sort of object to use of the term "the veterans" to represent the bulk of long term players. This is a fairly fractured community. There are veterans who are PvPers. There are veterans who are WvWers. Predominantly in both cases. There are people like me who do a bit of everything but raid. There are people who are predominantly raiders.

I have a guild full of people who weren't put off by the announcement at all. For my guild, well over 300 people at any given time, the announcement was mostly probably 95% a positive experience, because of my guild isn't driven by instanced content or by PvP of any kind. Your veteran response will depend very much on what you were expecting but also what kind of content you play. I'd wager there are more veterans focused on the open world than most people think.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The mistake that ANET made is in misreading their fan base. Yes, ANET hyped it as a living story. That said, the fact that they made it a big event led many to believe there would be something big to announce. Instead they spent 35 minutes talking about something that could have been a blog post.

If ANET was smart, they would schedule an AMA as soon as possible.

> @"Dice Hazard.1458" said:

> > @"Acheron.4731" said:

> > > @"Dice Hazard.1458" said:

> > > > @"Vayne.8563" said:

> > > > Mostly satisfied. I didn't expect this to be for us, I expected it to be more for new players. To get them into the game. Which is good for me.

> > >

> > > I'm a new player myself, but I'm unsure how the new announcement affects me? Isn't it all end-game stuff?

> >

> > The announcement basically means you get more stuff to explore. The problem is that virtually none of the end-game content was satisfied. The veterans are getting bored with what they have left to do and another LS map meant that 'expansion like content' was further off than hoped for. Now, after the Mike Z interview...the hopes of an expansion is likely years off if ever and few veterans will stick around that long. Thus, there is a fear that the game is on a sharp decline and may never make it to an expansion with its current, semi-healthy population.

> >

>

> Is that the interview from march or is there a more recent one?

The more recent one that said another expansion 'is not off the table'

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/86641/mike-z-on-pcgamesn-com-expansions-not-ruled-out#latest

> @"Vayne.8563" said:

> > > @"Dice Hazard.1458" said:

> > > > @"Vayne.8563" said:

> > > > Mostly satisfied. I didn't expect this to be for us, I expected it to be more for new players. To get them into the game. Which is good for me.

> > >

> > > I'm a new player myself, but I'm unsure how the new announcement affects me? Isn't it all end-game stuff?

> >

> > The announcement basically means you get more stuff to explore. The problem is that virtually none of the end-game content was satisfied. The veterans are getting bored with what they have left to do and another LS map meant that 'expansion like content' was further off than hoped for. Now, after the Mike Z interview...the hopes of an expansion is likely years off if ever and few veterans will stick around that long. Thus, there is a fear that the game is on a sharp decline and may never make it to an expansion with its current, semi-healthy population.

> >

>

> I sort of object to use of the term "the veterans" to represent the bulk of long term players. This is a fairly fractured community. There are veterans who are PvPers. There are veterans who are WvWers. Predominantly in both cases. There are people like me who do a bit of everything but raid. There are people who are predominantly raiders.

>

> I have a guild full of people who weren't put off by the announcement at all. For my guild, well over 300 people at any given time, the announcement was mostly probably 95% a positive experience, because of my guild isn't driven by instanced content or by PvP of any kind. Your veteran response will depend very much on what you were expecting but also what kind of content you play. I'd wager there are more veterans focused on the open world than most people think.

You are right. I probably shouldn't have used that term.

I just assumed 'end game content' for pve was raids (which it doesn't have to be) ....Veteran AP hunters may consider lw more end game I guess?

Then wvw is often also looked at as 'end game content' because it uses everything you have obtained within the game (armor, accessories, weapons, experience) against other players.

So, for veterans of those modes (raids and wvw)...there was little or nothing on the immediate horizon.

As a new player though, you can jump into any of these modes...i think lw is a little easier to jump into for the dilettante?

Hopefully this clarifies :)

> @"Acheron.4731" said:

> > @"Vayne.8563" said:

> > > @"Acheron.4731" said:

> > > > @"Dice Hazard.1458" said:

> > > > > @"Vayne.8563" said:

> > > > > Mostly satisfied. I didn't expect this to be for us, I expected it to be more for new players. To get them into the game. Which is good for me.

> > > >

> > > > I'm a new player myself, but I'm unsure how the new announcement affects me? Isn't it all end-game stuff?

> > >

> > > The announcement basically means you get more stuff to explore. The problem is that virtually none of the end-game content was satisfied. The veterans are getting bored with what they have left to do and another LS map meant that 'expansion like content' was further off than hoped for. Now, after the Mike Z interview...the hopes of an expansion is likely years off if ever and few veterans will stick around that long. Thus, there is a fear that the game is on a sharp decline and may never make it to an expansion with its current, semi-healthy population.

> > >

> >

> > I sort of object to use of the term "the veterans" to represent the bulk of long term players. This is a fairly fractured community. There are veterans who are PvPers. There are veterans who are WvWers. Predominantly in both cases. There are people like me who do a bit of everything but raid. There are people who are predominantly raiders.

> >

> > I have a guild full of people who weren't put off by the announcement at all. For my guild, well over 300 people at any given time, the announcement was mostly probably 95% a positive experience, because of my guild isn't driven by instanced content or by PvP of any kind. Your veteran response will depend very much on what you were expecting but also what kind of content you play. I'd wager there are more veterans focused on the open world than most people think.

>

> You are right. I probably shouldn't have used that term.

> I just assumed 'end game content' for pve was raids (which it doesn't have to be) ....Veteran AP hunters may consider lw more end game I guess?

> Then wvw is often also looked at as 'end game content' because it uses everything you have obtained within the game (armor, accessories, weapons, experience) against other players.

> So, for veterans of those modes (raids and wvw)...there was little or nothing on the immediate horizon.

> As a new player though, you can jump into any of these modes...i think lw is a little easier to jump into for the dilettante?

> Hopefully this clarifies :)

>

> @"Acheron.4731" said:

> > @"Vayne.8563" said:

> > > @"Acheron.4731" said:

> > > > @"Dice Hazard.1458" said:

> > > > > @"Vayne.8563" said:

> > > > > Mostly satisfied. I didn't expect this to be for us, I expected it to be more for new players. To get them into the game. Which is good for me.

> > > >

> > > > I'm a new player myself, but I'm unsure how the new announcement affects me? Isn't it all end-game stuff?

> > >

> > > The announcement basically means you get more stuff to explore. The problem is that virtually none of the end-game content was satisfied. The veterans are getting bored with what they have left to do and another LS map meant that 'expansion like content' was further off than hoped for. Now, after the Mike Z interview...the hopes of an expansion is likely years off if ever and few veterans will stick around that long. Thus, there is a fear that the game is on a sharp decline and may never make it to an expansion with its current, semi-healthy population.

> > >

> >

> > I sort of object to use of the term "the veterans" to represent the bulk of long term players. This is a fairly fractured community. There are veterans who are PvPers. There are veterans who are WvWers. Predominantly in both cases. There are people like me who do a bit of everything but raid. There are people who are predominantly raiders.

> >

> > I have a guild full of people who weren't put off by the announcement at all. For my guild, well over 300 people at any given time, the announcement was mostly probably 95% a positive experience, because of my guild isn't driven by instanced content or by PvP of any kind. Your veteran response will depend very much on what you were expecting but also what kind of content you play. I'd wager there are more veterans focused on the open world than most people think.

>

> You are right. I probably shouldn't have used that term.

> I just assumed 'end game content' for pve was raids (which it doesn't have to be) ....Veteran AP hunters may consider lw more end game I guess?

> Then wvw is often also looked at as 'end game content' because it uses everything you have obtained within the game (armor, accessories, weapons, experience) against other players.

> So, for veterans of those modes (raids and wvw)...there was little or nothing on the immediate horizon.

> As a new player though, you can jump into any of these modes...i think lw is a little easier to jump into for the dilettante?

> Hopefully this clarifies :)

>

My end game is collections, making legendaries, open world meta events, achievemement point hunting. Most of my time is spent in the open world. Of course, I do story and fractals and dungeons. I do PvP rarely and WvW when it suits me, which is sometimes. And I enjoy all those modes when I'm in the mood for them. But I never raid. I just don't enjoy it.

> @"Vayne.8563" said:

> > > > @"Acheron.4731" said:

> > > > > @"Dice Hazard.1458" said:

> > > > > > @"Vayne.8563" said:

> > > > > > Mostly satisfied. I didn't expect this to be for us, I expected it to be more for new players. To get them into the game. Which is good for me.

> > > > >

> > > > > I'm a new player myself, but I'm unsure how the new announcement affects me? Isn't it all end-game stuff?

> > > >

> > > > The announcement basically means you get more stuff to explore. The problem is that virtually none of the end-game content was satisfied. The veterans are getting bored with what they have left to do and another LS map meant that 'expansion like content' was further off than hoped for. Now, after the Mike Z interview...the hopes of an expansion is likely years off if ever and few veterans will stick around that long. Thus, there is a fear that the game is on a sharp decline and may never make it to an expansion with its current, semi-healthy population.

> > > >

> > >

> > > I sort of object to use of the term "the veterans" to represent the bulk of long term players. This is a fairly fractured community. There are veterans who are PvPers. There are veterans who are WvWers. Predominantly in both cases. There are people like me who do a bit of everything but raid. There are people who are predominantly raiders.

> > >

> > > I have a guild full of people who weren't put off by the announcement at all. For my guild, well over 300 people at any given time, the announcement was mostly probably 95% a positive experience, because of my guild isn't driven by instanced content or by PvP of any kind. Your veteran response will depend very much on what you were expecting but also what kind of content you play. I'd wager there are more veterans focused on the open world than most people think.

> >

> > You are right. I probably shouldn't have used that term.

> > I just assumed 'end game content' for pve was raids (which it doesn't have to be) ....Veteran AP hunters may consider lw more end game I guess?

> > Then wvw is often also looked at as 'end game content' because it uses everything you have obtained within the game (armor, accessories, weapons, experience) against other players.

> > So, for veterans of those modes (raids and wvw)...there was little or nothing on the immediate horizon.

> > As a new player though, you can jump into any of these modes...i think lw is a little easier to jump into for the dilettante?

> > Hopefully this clarifies :)

> >

>

> > > > @"Acheron.4731" said:

> > > > > @"Dice Hazard.1458" said:

> > > > > > @"Vayne.8563" said:

> > > > > > Mostly satisfied. I didn't expect this to be for us, I expected it to be more for new players. To get them into the game. Which is good for me.

> > > > >

> > > > > I'm a new player myself, but I'm unsure how the new announcement affects me? Isn't it all end-game stuff?

> > > >

> > > > The announcement basically means you get more stuff to explore. The problem is that virtually none of the end-game content was satisfied. The veterans are getting bored with what they have left to do and another LS map meant that 'expansion like content' was further off than hoped for. Now, after the Mike Z interview...the hopes of an expansion is likely years off if ever and few veterans will stick around that long. Thus, there is a fear that the game is on a sharp decline and may never make it to an expansion with its current, semi-healthy population.

> > > >

> > >

> > > I sort of object to use of the term "the veterans" to represent the bulk of long term players. This is a fairly fractured community. There are veterans who are PvPers. There are veterans who are WvWers. Predominantly in both cases. There are people like me who do a bit of everything but raid. There are people who are predominantly raiders.

> > >

> > > I have a guild full of people who weren't put off by the announcement at all. For my guild, well over 300 people at any given time, the announcement was mostly probably 95% a positive experience, because of my guild isn't driven by instanced content or by PvP of any kind. Your veteran response will depend very much on what you were expecting but also what kind of content you play. I'd wager there are more veterans focused on the open world than most people think.

> >

> > You are right. I probably shouldn't have used that term.

> > I just assumed 'end game content' for pve was raids (which it doesn't have to be) ....Veteran AP hunters may consider lw more end game I guess?

> > Then wvw is often also looked at as 'end game content' because it uses everything you have obtained within the game (armor, accessories, weapons, experience) against other players.

> > So, for veterans of those modes (raids and wvw)...there was little or nothing on the immediate horizon.

> > As a new player though, you can jump into any of these modes...i think lw is a little easier to jump into for the dilettante?

> > Hopefully this clarifies :)

> >

>

> My end game is collections, making legendaries, open world meta events, achievemement point hunting. Most of my time is spent in the open world. Of course, I do story and fractals and dungeons. I do PvP rarely and WvW when it suits me, which is sometimes. And I enjoy all those modes when I'm in the mood for them. But I never raid. I just don't enjoy it.

Gotcha, my view of end game content was just skewed by my ignorance....and I mean that sincerely.

PVE to me was always just a means of funding my wvw addiction ;)

ULTRA disappointed that there was NO mentioning about the Mac 64-bit(-ish) client to be working on the coming new full and exclusively 64-bit Mac OS Catalina.

So far, on OS beta-testing mode, the supposedly 64-bit Mac client crashes 100% due to possibly still having some 32-bit code within, BUT, no one at Anet has responded to the Mac players' repeated request on at least giving an update or a roadmap about anything Mac-related. This 'No-reponce' has generally started right after the HUGE Anet shakeup earlier this year, and has been very much NO WORD silent ever since. Sad to become left out, and it's going to happen very soon...

HELP!!!

Too much hype for the little information they got out.

The trailers looked nice, but they're just adds. It would have been a major dissapointment if their adds looked bad(taxi ad...sry coughing). I will determine the quality of that content when it's out and I can play it.

The talk parts also felt like yet another marketing stunt. None of these people seem authentic to me at this point. The information given was vage at best "we're bringing x, y and z into the game at some point in the next two years, give or take 6 months" - better than nothing I guess.

Ending it all with some rando in a cape advertising for leggins, bobbleheads and an art-book probably wasn't a very good decision either. If they had that at the start or just present at the venue but not streamed into the aether it would have felt less forced and less like a [Kaffeefahrt](https://dict.leo.org/englisch-deutsch/Kaffeefahrt "Kaffeefahrt").

Overall, it's better than nothing but it felt forced and trying so hard to appeal as this big reveal which all in all it wasn't. We know for sure that a new season...sry saga is coming and we have a date for the prologue. Oh and we know where to buy our legally distinct GW2-like leggins and bobbleheads now.

Clearly the future is not very bright at the moment and the announcement soured me even more. I'll continue to play occasionally but certainly management's fervor for the game and passion for their fanbase has all but disappeared and that was glaringly obvious at the announcement, especially without Mike O'Brien not even bothering to be there.

> @"Hugs.1856" said:

> > @"PirateSpice.8735" said:

> > > @"Hugs.1856" said:

> > > > @"PirateSpice.8735" said:

> > > > No, they absolutely did not. Stop spreading this falsehood. They literally spent less than 4 minutes on merchandising.

> > > > This is a perfect example of why most of the criticisms being flung are nonsense. People are getting riled up not over what actually happened, but over the perceptions they've built up in their own minds. The overhyping was not on Anet's part; it came from the community. Anet managed expectations precisely. They told us exactly what this announcement was about, and they delivered it and more. But it didn't match what people convinced themselves it was going to be, so now they're inventing their own version of events to criticize. That's what we call a strawman, and it's a classically fallacious argument.

> > > >

> > >

> > > If Anet had managed expectations, we wouldn't be discussing so much.

> > Yes we would, because there is always a loud group of people that want to complain no matter what happens.

> >

> > > True, they did what they said: they gave a sneak peak of the new season and nothing else.

> > Nothing else? This is demonstrably false. The video speaks for itself.

> >

> > > In their mind, it was just a chilled community gathering with long term fans to lighten up a rough year and celebrate the exciting new Saga. It's probably also the conclusion of the marketing campaign that launched in Q1 where they get to showcase the game and its nice community to new and returning player.

> > >

> > > But the way the announcement was advertised is completely out of proportion with the presentation itself. And to top it all, having the last interview about merchandising, is just handing out the stick to be beaten.

> > How? They advertised it as a live event showing a sneak peak of LW season 5 to kick off PAX, and giving away some goodies to attendees. They did that and _more_. So, if it was out of proportion, it's because they slightly undersold it.

> >

> > > The more hype you build, the more expectation you create. Perception matters more than facts sometimes and this even is really the epitome of this.

> > > Plus you know, the internet and all that digital anger...

> > This is the most important thing you said. The community built up so much hype, thereby inflating their own expectations to an impossible standard. This really is all about the Internet and digital anger. Anet loses no matter what they do. They could have announced a new expansion and people would find something to complain about. They're just especially mad because they got all worked up over what they _imagined_ Anet advertised, rather than looking at what was actually advertised.

> >

>

> It's the way it was advertised that got people mad. The month in advance announcement, the live event, the host, the countdown, the "omg! Can't wait to share with you" comments from the stream the previous days, the 30 minutes+ pre event etc.

>

> None of this was the community doing: it's all Anet's. If you hype something in such a grand way, how can you not expect people to be eager for some big reveal?

>

> Personally, I have no problem whatsoever with the event in itself.

>

> I am just baffled that after the backlash they got at launch due to the game being over hyped, the backlash they got when they over advertised the esport part of the game, Anet thought they could get away with just a trailer after such a hype build up once again.

>

> Again, in their mind, it was probably just a chilled community event where they could showcase the trailer and get players in line for the release in September. Had it clearly put this way, you'd just have the usual vocal minority complaining but certainly not such negative reaction.

I knew it was dedicated fully to pve LS5, altou was expecting more info and more demonstrations of what they would have, no new mechanics, they rent an stage to show nothing IMO, we kew we would have new mobs already(it is freakign obvious...), they just could make a live from studio release with an interview to the devs and show stuff from there it would make wayyy more sense to show the artwork and mobs, since for info i have there was no other events after nor before the gw2 stage talk.

They tried to overhype the "nothing" cause its a LS and not a expantion, it was a fail IMO, u do this big anounces when u have things to show, just to present what everyone is already expecting, it wont go that smooth.

Maybe Anet is trying to compete with blizard on stage?????

I'm not sure the majority of gamers are actually satisfied with anything including their own lives! I love the game. It's stunningly beautiful. The stories are followable and coherent. It has an awesome foundation. I played PoF and LW4 and I loved both. I got my money and time's worth for sure. I understand great content is a creative process and will ebb and flow, that's just the nature of the process. I do think ArenaNet needs to get away from NCSoft and be a small company with big passions again but I'm not an expert on the Anet/NCSoft relationship. From the outside it appears that NCSoft just wants to wring GW2 for as much cash as it can and if it's not enough it will discard GW2, ANet and the players invested in the game. What kind of relationship is that for a game that depends so heavily on creativity? Lastly, asking the gaming "community" their opinions will just get you savagely beaten and tossed aside like trash. The worst of the worst always seem to speak the loudest. Instead the content and how/how many people are playing it should dictate the creative process.

> @"Random Wax Orc.7695" said:

> Even with the two expansions, if GW2 ended tomorrow (or stopped getting any updates), I would have more than gotten my money's worth.

That's true. The question however is, whether the _future_ of GW2 is worth spending any dime or time on it. At this point, that is highly doubtful - at least to me.