[POLL] How satisfied are you about the August 30th announcement regarding the future of GW2?

> @"Zaklex.6308" said:

> majority of the people on the forums forget they announce every episode with a blog post and trailer that usually tells us what is included

Actually they did not, and there-in lies the problem.

BECAUSE Anet usually does the blog posts people thought a live event will be more.

Where was the needs to do a live event in the first place, if it's just worth one blog post (and a second one for the merchandize).

Where was the need to rent the stage?

Where was the needs to invite (and pay) all the people that came on stage?

Where was the need to announce it a month prior instead of one week or maybe two, if not to hype up people over nothing?

Why did they have to put a 36 hours timer on the Stream, if not to hype up people over nothing?

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"TheGrimm.5624" said:

> > @"FtoPScrub.5476" said:

> > From a scale of 1 to 5, where 1 is very dissatisfied and 5 is very satisfied.

>

> Future of GW2? What post did you read? So you missed where they said they were there to discuss the new living world. Do you have sources on something more? I am all for a new expansion and I might even read expansion bits into the reveal, but they did what they said and that was to discuss LW. Do I want more details on many things, yes. Do I think they could do better marketing, yes. Are we missing a lot of details, yes. Did I want more, yes. Do I think this was targeting vets, no. Do we have too many drama queens (sorry legit drama queens) on the forums, yes.

>

> You can assume and put words into their statements, but they did what they said even though people hoped for more.

You are assuming a stance of hostility when I all I did was post a non opinionated, neutral poll. I understand that you are probably upset because the results of the poll were not what you hoped. Do not take it out on me.

The event covered more than Living World. It mentioned new PvP stuff like armor, swiss, mini season, hinted at upcoming WvW stuff, build templates, etc. All that stuff counts as the future of GW2, and if it was purely about Living World, they would not have mentioned the above.

> @"Fueki.4753" said:

> > @"Zaklex.6308" said:

> > majority of the people on the forums forget they announce every episode with a blog post and trailer that usually tells us what is included

>

> Actually they did not, and there-in lies the problem.

> BECAUSE Anet usually does the blog posts people thought a live event will be more.

>

> Where was the needs to do a live event in the first place, if it's just worth one blog post (and a second one for the merchandize).

> Where was the need to rent the stage?

> Where was the needs to invite (and pay) all the people that came on stage?

> Where was the need to announce it a month prior instead of one week or maybe two, if not to hype up people over nothing?

> Why did they have to put a 36 hours timer on the Stream, if not to hype up people over nothing?

First question, there was a little more to it than just a blog post, there where a few items mentioned that had nothing to do with the blog post but future content that had not been mentioned.

Stage, no rent, it was PAX West event, ArenaNet was invited to present at PAX West(that's normally how those types of things work, the event has already rented the facilities and invites presenters).

All the people on stage either work for ArenaNet/NCSoft(there fore already getting paid), the only one that might have been paid was the MC, and as bad as he was if he was paid it wasn't a lot.

Four and Five, that's Marketing for you.

> @"Pirindolo.9427" said:

> I cannot say that the announcement disappointed me, because I really did not expect anything different from what was announced, although I must admit that the "performance" and the message were a bit underwhelming.

>

> Nevertheless, I believe that the tantrum that most player have now (because Anet didn't say what they were expecting to hear) is totally unfair.

>

> Imagin that you are going to buy a car and you see a certain model that does not meet your expectations at all. Would you start shouting at the seller, demanding the manufacturer to change all the car specs to fit your needs? Of course not. What you would do is move along to see other models, maybe from another car manufacturer, until you find the one that best suits your requirements, right?

People don't view this game as a business that provides a service; they have false expectations. Apparently, some strongly entitled players even believe that Anet should just 'listen' to them and implement whatever nonsense they can come up with, regardless of the implications it has on it's business. Interesting people. I wonder how RL works for them.

I agree that it was overhyped for something that could have just been posted in some dev blogs on the website. The marketing guy advertising websites to buy GW2 merchandise seemed out of place.

The only thing I was disappointed about was no mention of new elite specializations. Not even to say if they're planning on eventually releasing new ones.

Overall I'm pretty excited about the new content and remain hopeful they have a few surprises in store for us (like, maybe we will get new elite specs sometime during this saga, or something else players have wanted).

I will say I think some players overreacted. I can understand people being disappointed, but the amount of abuse and anger toward the devs is uncalled for.

> @"Brycar.2651" said:

> They delivered exactly what they kept saying and restating. This is NOT an expansion. This is an episode of LS.

People who say this can not have it both ways. They also put a massive amount of hype into this event so there is no shock people expected something, well, big, even if they did not know what it would be.

In another thread someone was saying people did not go to the event that were not already go to the convention anyway. I pointed out that I changed my work plans that day to go home WAY early and catch the stream. I then eventually had to defend my statement to someone who does not know what my job is, what timezone I am in, or even if there was anywhere there that I could have watched the stream.

I went with neutral. They said it was a Season announcement and it was - and it does not really apply to me. I have never messed with any of the LW seasons. I have not finished any of my avatars personal stories, either. I am not here for lore - I am here for monster bashing. Tons to do without needing the seasons. I do love some of the festivals though (best is the Pavillion boss bashing).

Seems odd to make a huge announcement just for a new season, but whatever :)

> @"Obtena.7952" said:

> implement whatever nonsense they can come up with

Yeah assuming that a living world reveal that is hyped more than anything we had since hot, that is said to include expansion lvl stuff and is comming 2 year after pof in place of an expansion would include said expansion stuff like idk, elite specs is nonsense.

All this event did was help new players that werent sure about what mmo to get into to instead go to ff14 or eso or classic wow.

> @"FtoPScrub.5476" said:

> It mentioned new PvP stuff like armor, swiss, mini season, hinted at upcoming WvW stuff, build templates, etc. All that stuff counts as the future of GW2, and if it was purely about Living World, they would not have mentioned the above.

Swiss was mentioned first time in December 2017, and promised in June/July 2018 to be released by the end of 2018. Now we are in September 2019 and it's still used for promises and hype, yet still labeled with "soon".

Mini season is a season between season, with no new content, just same SoloQ mechanic (voted in 2016) but with a shorter time frame, nothing new.

The build templates are indeed interesting, but with so much PvP going on, I personally got used without it after publicly being considered by them in 2015.

> @"TheDraco.3965" said:

> This comment I made a few months ago that got removed and suspended is pretty apt. "Given that Anet ALWAYS chooses the path of least work, between making Cantha and a new unnamed sea dragon, or going north to fight Jormag, they will almost certainly go the lazy route and pick Jormag."

How is new and unexplored area less work than a continent we have been to before? How is focusing on two neglected races less work than focusing on humans (again)?

Also, can we stop with this "gib Cantha" nonsense. If they didn't put in Canthan district in DR they most likely won't make entire continent filled with the very same issue that is the reason why they didn't implement said Canthan district

> @"Alin.2468" said:

> > @"FtoPScrub.5476" said:

> > It mentioned new PvP stuff like armor, swiss, mini season, hinted at upcoming WvW stuff, build templates, etc. All that stuff counts as the future of GW2, and if it was purely about Living World, they would not have mentioned the above.

>

> Swiss was mentioned first time in December 2017, and promised in June/July 2018 to be released by the end of 2018. Now we are in September 2019 and it's still used for promises and hype, yet still labeled with "soon".

>

> Mini season is a season between season, with no new content, just same SoloQ mechanic (voted in 2016) but with a shorter time frame, nothing new.

>

Mini season wont be more conquest necessarily, i doubt they will ever be conquest.

> The build templates are indeed interesting, but with so much PvP going on, I personally got used without it after publicly being considered by them in 2015.

> @"zealex.9410" said:

> All this event did was help new players that werent sure about what mmo to get into to instead go to ff14 or eso or classic wow.

OK ... I don't see a problem with that. I mean, if you're not a new player, why do you need a big announcement to know what's going on in the game? You don't ... we already knew that stuff because Anet already told us. Again, like someone said, that event happened because it was the right place at the right time for a certain audience.

> @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > @"zealex.9410" said:

> > All this event did was help new players that werent sure about what mmo to get into to instead go to ff14 or eso or classic wow.

>

> OK ... I don't see a problem with that. I mean, if you're not a new player, why do you need a big announcement to know what's going on in the game? You don't ... we already knew that stuff because Anet already told us. Again, like someone said, that event happened because it was the right place at the right time for a certain audience.

But it wasnt, anet overestimated the content they were showing and the whole announcement come off as unprofessional, unecessary and by the time the merch rolled in, just sad.

> @"zealex.9410" said:

> > @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > > @"zealex.9410" said:

> > > All this event did was help new players that werent sure about what mmo to get into to instead go to ff14 or eso or classic wow.

> >

> > OK ... I don't see a problem with that. I mean, if you're not a new player, why do you need a big announcement to know what's going on in the game? You don't ... we already knew that stuff because Anet already told us. Again, like someone said, that event happened because it was the right place at the right time for a certain audience.

>

> But it wasnt, anet overestimated the content they were showing and the whole announcement come off as unprofessional, unecessary and by the time the merch rolled in, just sad.

Indeed. Some have said this could've been done in a blog post and I agree. Some new stuff is coming and that's always nice but it just didn't live up to how they announced is. And yeh, half the show about new merch is a bit distasteful in my view.

I have the feeling that there are a bunch of people seeing these comments and not understanding what they did wrong. So I guess I think it's more about them believing their own hype and needing a reality check than anything else. It's just weird to see them move around and present stuff as if it's the most amazing thing ever and the rest of the world going: ok a content patch and a lot of new merch... butwhat was the big, amazing announcement?

That difference right there between company and players makes me wonder if they realise that they really did miss the mark here but more importantly also why.

> @"zealex.9410" said:

> > @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > > All this event did was help new players that werent sure about what mmo to get into to instead go to ff14 or eso or classic wow.

> >

> > OK ... I don't see a problem with that. I mean, if you're not a new player, why do you need a big announcement to know what's going on in the game? You don't ... we already knew that stuff because Anet already told us. Again, like someone said, that event happened because it was the right place at the right time for a certain audience.

>

> But it wasnt, anet overestimated the content they were showing and the whole announcement come off as unprofessional, unecessary and by the time the merch rolled in, just sad.

I guess that's a matter opinion. I didn't see it. What I do know is that it wasn't intended for anyone that already knew what was going on ... which is anyone who is already playing that is paying attention. So basically ... I still don't see what the problem is with if ALL the event did was what you said it did.

> @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > @"zealex.9410" said:

> > > @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > > > @"zealex.9410" said:

> > > > All this event did was help new players that werent sure about what mmo to get into to instead go to ff14 or eso or classic wow.

> > >

> > > OK ... I don't see a problem with that. I mean, if you're not a new player, why do you need a big announcement to know what's going on in the game? You don't ... we already knew that stuff because Anet already told us. Again, like someone said, that event happened because it was the right place at the right time for a certain audience.

> >

> > But it wasnt, anet overestimated the content they were showing and the whole announcement come off as unprofessional, unecessary and by the time the merch rolled in, just sad.

>

> I guess that's a matter opinion. I didn't see it. What I do know is that it wasn't intended for anyone that already knew what was going on ... which is anyone who is already playing that is paying attention. So basically ... I still don't see what the problem is with if ALL the event did was what you said it did.

So you dont see the problem with an underwhelming event in a huge year for mmos where all big 3 had massive announcements and ppl are now way more likely to go to those mmos because what gw2 showed in comparison was underwhelming.

> @"Dice Hazard.1458" said:

> > @"Vayne.8563" said:

> > Mostly satisfied. I didn't expect this to be for us, I expected it to be more for new players. To get them into the game. Which is good for me.

>

> I'm a new player myself, but I'm unsure how the new announcement affects me? Isn't it all end-game stuff?

The announcement basically means you get more stuff to explore. The problem is that virtually none of the end-game content was satisfied. The veterans are getting bored with what they have left to do and another LS map meant that 'expansion like content' was further off than hoped for. Now, after the Mike Z interview...the hopes of an expansion is likely years off if ever and few veterans will stick around that long. Thus, there is a fear that the game is on a sharp decline and may never make it to an expansion with its current, semi-healthy population.

> @"zealex.9410" said:

> > @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > > > @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > > > > @"zealex.9410" said:

> > > > > All this event did was help new players that werent sure about what mmo to get into to instead go to ff14 or eso or classic wow.

> > > >

> > > > OK ... I don't see a problem with that. I mean, if you're not a new player, why do you need a big announcement to know what's going on in the game? You don't ... we already knew that stuff because Anet already told us. Again, like someone said, that event happened because it was the right place at the right time for a certain audience.

> > >

> > > But it wasnt, anet overestimated the content they were showing and the whole announcement come off as unprofessional, unecessary and by the time the merch rolled in, just sad.

> >

> > I guess that's a matter opinion. I didn't see it. What I do know is that it wasn't intended for anyone that already knew what was going on ... which is anyone who is already playing that is paying attention. So basically ... I still don't see what the problem is with if ALL the event did was what you said it did.

>

> So you dont see the problem with an underwhelming event in a huge year for mmos where all big 3 had massive announcements and ppl are now way more likely to go to those mmos because what gw2 showed in comparison was underwhelming.

Let's put it this way ... I do have a problem with people with an axe to grind that want to speculate that anything Anet is going to do is wrong and terrible.

> @"Rukario.1695" said:

> I find it pretty sour how poll posts only happen when there is community dissatisfaction.

>

> As far as the announcement goes, I'm relatively neutral since I hadn't been expecting much after the layoffs and psychological effects removing all of those employees would have on everyone.

>

> That and the announcement was already shown to be about the Living World.

A thousand times this. Lol, ban all polls instead. No polls for you, no polls for you and no polls for YOU! :D

But seriously though, I do agree with what you're saying.

> @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > @"zealex.9410" said:

> > > @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > > > @"zealex.9410" said:

> > > > > @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > > > > > @"zealex.9410" said:

> > > > > > All this event did was help new players that werent sure about what mmo to get into to instead go to ff14 or eso or classic wow.

> > > > >

> > > > > OK ... I don't see a problem with that. I mean, if you're not a new player, why do you need a big announcement to know what's going on in the game? You don't ... we already knew that stuff because Anet already told us. Again, like someone said, that event happened because it was the right place at the right time for a certain audience.

> > > >

> > > > But it wasnt, anet overestimated the content they were showing and the whole announcement come off as unprofessional, unecessary and by the time the merch rolled in, just sad.

> > >

> > > I guess that's a matter opinion. I didn't see it. What I do know is that it wasn't intended for anyone that already knew what was going on ... which is anyone who is already playing that is paying attention. So basically ... I still don't see what the problem is with if ALL the event did was what you said it did.

> >

> > So you dont see the problem with an underwhelming event in a huge year for mmos where all big 3 had massive announcements and ppl are now way more likely to go to those mmos because what gw2 showed in comparison was underwhelming.

>

> Let's put it this way ... I do have a problem with people with an axe to grind that want to speculate that anything Anet is going to do is wrong and terrible.

Yeah i dislike such ppl too, also ppl that always see no issues with the game and its direction whatsoever.

> @"Acheron.4731" said:

> > @"Dice Hazard.1458" said:

> > > @"Vayne.8563" said:

> > > Mostly satisfied. I didn't expect this to be for us, I expected it to be more for new players. To get them into the game. Which is good for me.

> >

> > I'm a new player myself, but I'm unsure how the new announcement affects me? Isn't it all end-game stuff?

>

> The announcement basically means you get more stuff to explore. The problem is that virtually none of the end-game content was satisfied. The veterans are getting bored with what they have left to do and another LS map meant that 'expansion like content' was further off than hoped for. Now, after the Mike Z interview...the hopes of an expansion is likely years off if ever and few veterans will stick around that long. Thus, there is a fear that the game is on a sharp decline and may never make it to an expansion with its current, semi-healthy population.

>

Is that the interview from march or is there a more recent one?

> @"Dice Hazard.1458" said:

> > @"Vayne.8563" said:

> > Mostly satisfied. I didn't expect this to be for us, I expected it to be more for new players. To get them into the game. Which is good for me.

>

> I'm a new player myself, but I'm unsure how the new announcement affects me? Isn't it all end-game stuff?

The new announcement is end game stuff. New players have a ton of content ahead of them. Some older players wanted more harder core content. For a causal like me, I'm fine with the announcement. Not everyone is. Different people wanted/expected different things. The raiding community wants more raids. But the announcement was pretty much what I thought it would be.