[POLL] How satisfied are you about the August 30th announcement regarding the future of GW2?

Congratulations arenanet

I set my expectation bar super low and you still managed to disappoint me. How embarrassed is your marketing team to literally rent a stage and waste everyone's time, making an announcement on announcements into the future? Like how did anyone at arenanet think this was a good idea? Besides build templates, were there any other features that were adamantly requested by your customers? Like how disconnected can you guys be to your own audience?

you can ban me now

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Anet are terrible at PR, but that doesn't affect how I like the game.

Anet didn't give a whole lot of details on sagas, which is somewhat strange. If they released another season, we'd know we were in for 2 years worth of content on 3 month intervals... but who knows how long Sagas will be?

> @"TheBravery.9615" said:

> Congratulations arenanet

>

> I set my expectation bar super low and you still managed to disappoint me. How embarrassed is your marketing team to literally rent a stage and waste everyone's time, making an announcement on announcements into the future? Like how did anyone at arenanet think this was a good idea? Besides build templates, were there any other features that were adamantly requested by your customers? Like how disconnected can you guys be to your own audience?

>

> you can ban me now

>

>

you can share my forum jail cell

> @"Mewcifer.5198" said:

> Why are some people so convinced that the announcement was supposed to include elites and legendary weapons and such?

Because ArenaNet have made vague statements that they think that living world can contain expansion level content (without qualifying what that meant) and both expansions gave us elite specs as one of their main features.

We've also had legendaries with each LS episode since LS3 began (to round our the gen 2 legendary collection) and some people expect that to continue.

I'm excited for season 5.

I'm excited for the Norn and Charr lore that will be coming with it.

I'm excited for a Jormag focused storyline.

I'm excited about Drakkar being a world boss.

I'm looking forward to trying Strike missions.

I'm dissapointed there was no information or confirmation about future Gw2 expansions.

Overall feeling positive about what was shown however I don't feel it was worthy of a live event.

> @"Pifil.5193" said:

> > @"Mewcifer.5198" said:

> > Why are some people so convinced that the announcement was supposed to include elites and legendary weapons and such?

>

> Because ArenaNet have made vague statements that they think that living world can contain expansion level content (without qualifying what that meant) and both expansions gave us elite specs as one of their main features.

>

> We've also had legendaries with each LS episode since LS3 began (to round our the gen 2 legendary collection) and some people expect that to continue.

The legendaries were only a part of living story released because they needed to finish up the second generation that was introduced with HoT. They said nothing that would indicate they are starting a third generation of them.

And people are the ones who assume expansion type content *has* to be elites. I also regularly see people asking anet to *not* add new elites since they feel the current ones are not balanced.

> @"thepenmonster.3621" said:

> To me it seemed like they announced the next season like they said they were going to do.

That is exactly the problem. People who keep saying "we got exactly what they said it will be" don't understand. We knew season 5 is coming and now they made a live event to say that again. It's so unnecessary. And living world for two years is what made this game what it is now... At the place where good amount of people seem to think it's kinda stale and might not have a bright future, so they are debating whether that's the end of the road for them or not.

Problem is not that necessary that there is no expansion, but it was expected or at least hoped for season 5 to be quite a bit different from the rest of the season, because game needs some game changing stuff, some refreshment. And we didn't really get anything from announcement that would feel like this "saga" might be any different. Strike missions might be fun, that's all.

It blows my mind how many people in this thread think this announcement was aimed at existing players and not people not playing who might be attending pax. I've said all along (and got downvoted on reddit for it) that this announcement wasn't for us. It was Anet trying to get more people playing the game. They don't need to rent a theater for us.

> @"Vayne.8563" said:

> It blows my mind how many people in this thread think this announcement was aimed at existing players and not people not playing who might be attending pax. I've said all along (and got downvoted on reddit for it) that this announcement wasn't for us. It was Anet trying to get more people playing the game. They don't need to rent a theater for us.

Yeah, everyone know wow and ff14 do their blizzcons and fanfest for new players, the vets and dedicated players dont need that, which dev in their right mind would make a live event for their fans to see and advertise through word of mouth? Im sure if wow and ff14 did these events for the fans or had content for them they would tank in popularity.

Let me check real quick their new stuff... oh, ff14 shb top rated expansion of all time and one of the best ff games.

Lets check wow im sure wow will be kittening their vets once more.... oh, classic has massive player queues, had 1+ million viewers on twitch and everyone is loving it.

Hmm weird.

/s

It just lacked substance and clarity that feedback is being listened concerning the future of the games living world. The trailer was really cool, but apart from some basic outlines, we know very little more about the season.

This was a chance to wow us and for me, they decided not to do that. I want to feel excited, but I’m not.

> @"ZeftheWicked.3076" said:

> "Expansion type content" was the main thing to put on the table during this hyped reveal and they dropped the ball there. With no xpac coming players needed a clear outline how will this "saga" differ from "living story" and close the gap on lack of xpac. Nedless to say we did not get this info.

This. I waited für something special and got nothing. I am really disappointed (hoped for elite specs). :'(

On one hand I'm satisfied because Charr/Norn need some love, going to the Far Shiverpeaks is awesome and seeing Drakkar in action is also nice. So as far as story goes, I liked what was presented. I approve of the story direction. Also the Strike Missions might be what this game needs in terms of instanced content.

On the other hand we got next to nothing else. I know this was advertised as a "first look at the living world" and had my expectations really low, but since they said "no expansions in the near future", I expected them to tell us how Season 5 will be different compared to previous Seasons. You know, to justify not having an expansion. Yet they told us nothing of the sort, so it's just another Season like the rest. This was very disappointing to me.

I'll go with the average of the two and pick Neutral. I just hope there WILL be an expansion after Season 5

To quote from the actual release page from the 27th of July:

"...Are you ready to catch the very first look at an all-new chapter in Guild Wars 2‘s Living World story?..."

Yes, that alone describes the announcement accurately, _**how-the-kitten-ever....**_

40ish minutes of time to do what a blogpost could do is probably the single most disappointing thing I've *ever* seen from Anet. Sure, I did like what I saw that was story centric and feature centric, but... it wasn't _**enough.**_ I've been playing since launch and the only times I've ever felt like content drops were satisfying were from Expansions. It's the honest truth. The hype overshot its bounds. I'm still here though, I'm willing to give this Saga format a shot, but COME ON! To say it was a misstep would be a gross understatement! I'm tired of having to say "Well look at all this potential," when I see Guild Wars 2. I know they can produce excellent content, and they have with mounts, elite specializations (BALANCE TEAM, C'MON WORK WITH US REIN THEM IN) but the _**quantity**_ from living world episodes compared to expansions is simply insubstantial.

I will do what I can to tag along for the ride and stay positive, give things a chance but... forgive the pun... we're all on thin ice here.

Personally I'm going to play the game how it was meant to play, once every 3-4 months for story and main different games. Got to wonder what the point of build templates is if there is no content to use it with. Announcing your big reveal a month in advance, countdown timer and theatre presentation only to show something that was a blog post in the past is pure hype without anything to follow up that hype. Lack of WvW, fractal, raid and sPvP improvements shows there is no future for this game. Its been what... 2 years players have been waiting for swiss/alliances and now we have to wait months for the next announcement of its implementation. Renamed living world/story to saga and renamed bountys to strike missions.

I still remember how awed I was when I started playing this game 7 years ago. It was so innovative and different, smooth combat and a beautiful world to explore. Anet simply has never been able to deliver on that level or anywhere close to it ever since, maps like bitterfrost frontier and draconis mons did great though imo.

See you guys 17 sept

> @"serialkicker.5274" said:

> think it's kinda stale

Not finding the game fun anymore? Cool. I have walked away from a dozen or so MMOs over the years and none of the devs came to my house to beat me up for not playing. When I'm not enjoying this one I'll walk away from it as well. Anet won't notice or care any more than Cryptic or SSG did.

I'm quite happy with it. It revealed the setting and (very) general theme of what LW5 would be. There was talk about lore. No one saw the faux-raids coming. Nice cinematic, nice cut scene, and the devs were hilarious and enjoyable to watch and listen to.

People keep saying Anet overhyped it but that was really the community's doing. It's been stated for _months_ that there would be no expansion this year (and possibly next). Announcing specific things that mostly veteran players or people who only play certain gamemodes now would just be weird to do at a convention rather than on the forums. Anet never even mentioned new elite specs. All Anet did was set a timer, send an email, and reveal the logo and hint at snow. And people forget if anything Anet always under-hypes things—PoF didn't get much of any marketing when it was announced, and never forget AAAAHHHH!!!!

Would it have been nice to get more of a roadmap or something? For sure. But the only things they ever hinted at was LW5 info and how they were going to change up the formula they had set for LW3 and 4. Them stating that there would be a lot more charr and norn development because neither has had much of any was actually a big and welcome thing. As was officially stating build templates would be out Soon™ in front of a live audience. Rolling HoT into PoF was also new info.

Though definitely could have done without the marketing push at the end.

If Anet had gone around putting up massive billboards, made cryptic posts online, sent out packages, etc. for months beforehand and revealed what they did today I would agree that they overhyped things. But a timer and a graphic? Temper your hype to match what a company puts out. If it's an awesome announcement, you get to feel an excited rush. If it's good but not great, you can still enjoy it. If it's bad you won't feel bad for wasting your time and energy waiting for it.

This is nowhere near the Canvas Bag level of letdowns, but you would never guess it given how much of a backlash there is because people assumed everything.

> @"zealex.9410" said:

> > @"Vayne.8563" said:

> > It blows my mind how many people in this thread think this announcement was aimed at existing players and not people not playing who might be attending pax. I've said all along (and got downvoted on reddit for it) that this announcement wasn't for us. It was Anet trying to get more people playing the game. They don't need to rent a theater for us.

>

> Yeah, everyone know wow and ff14 do their blizzcons and fanfest for new players, the vets and dedicated players dont need that, which dev in their right mind would make a live event for their fans to see and advertise through word of mouth? Im sure if wow and ff14 did these events for the fans or had content for them they would tank in popularity.

>

> Let me check real quick their new stuff... oh, ff14 shb top rated expansion of all time and one of the best ff games.

>

> Lets check wow im sure wow will be kittening their vets once more.... oh, classic has massive player queues, had 1+ million viewers on twitch and everyone is loving it.

>

> Hmm weird.

>

> /s

Oh I see. Sarcasm. I get it.

No one went to Blizcon and complained about an announcement there, amIrite? No one ever complains about other MMOs just this one. Those other posts about WoW must all be my imagination.

Anet wasn't making an announcement to us and I said as much prior to this, either here or on reddit or both. I knew it. They're announcing Season 5, so why do they need to rent a room. It's not to tell us about an expansion, I knew that. So you know, I figured it out. It's not that hard. The fact that Anet, a smaller company with one single product, a single older game, that has no movies, that doesn't have XIII titles in front of the one they're promoting, isn't going to have it's own con. It's going to a con to promote the game to people who don't already have it. I'm not sure why this is such a strange thing to you.

More people have left WoW than have ever played this game. WoW players aren't universally happy. But comparing anything to WoW in this industry, even FFXIV doesn't work because they had a huge jump and a huge warchest from other successes prior to WOW. Anet just doesn't have that kind of clout AND NEVER DID.

You can use all the sarcasm in the world, but I knew what this announcement was about before it came out and said so. Not sure why it's so hard for people to figure out.