[POLL] How satisfied are you about the August 30th announcement regarding the future of GW2?

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Trise.2865" said:

> They told me what I was going to get and I got it. What is there to be disappointed about?

^^ Agree. I was expecting the next living world chapter and that's what we got. The only problem is Anet decided to hype it too much and seriously why all the b.s. for the BIG announcement on 30th August ? It was way too OTT to Showcase it as some Big Announcement, when they merely could have just left it to a forum news feed announcement. Don't get me wrong I love the Living World Series: But the hype we got was totally disproportionate.

Would have been worth all the hype and expectation if they actually said they will definitely be launching the 3rd expansion in 2021/2022 as at least we would have something big on the horizon. The next instalment in Living World is just not even in the same ball-park as the excitement a 3rd Expansion would bring.

> @"Talindra.4958" said:

> anet already said they are announcing LS, and they didn't say its going to be more than that :p

More _details_ would have been nice. It was a waste of money to organize a stage presentation for _so little_ information, and mostly information we already had. That could have been done online, no overhype needed. ;)

There was no in-depth insight to any of the subjects mentioned, and some truly important questions were left unanswered: What are the main differences between seasons and sagas? Are old maps going to be included in future content? What does the templates UI look like and will it be usuable with non-legendary gear? Are expacs still a thing for GW2? Are we going to see WvW alliances and other PvP related features you mentioned before the end of the year?

The sheer ignorance of people's questions and concerns was astonishing, and _that's_ what is leaving many frustrated, I believe. Hence the uproar.

I am more dis-satisfied about my stupidity of looking it, then about it.

Just the usual contentless marketing blabla as usual for any company today.

That HoT owners (e.g. my 2nd account) not even get a rabat on PoF, while PoF owners get HoT for free is ofc. quite a slap in the face of veterans.

I'm moderately satisfied. The story looks good enough to keep me playing, even though I'm not interested in Braham, Rytlock or charr in general. If it's fairly reactive to a norn player character I'll be even happier - I've got several of those who've just been sitting around on a back burner. We're getting some new maps and the new masteries sound reasonably cool.

Overall, not too bad. Plus I got a free quaggan. Quaggans make everything better.

To be honest, the fact that they spent 40 minutes on something that really could be a blog announcement is very telling. Unless you have completely stapled the rose colored glasses onto your head, I think it is obvious that they are telling the community that this is the extent of the future of the game.

Saga's are it people. There are no expansions coming.

I for one think it's a real shame. GW2 has been mismanaged for a very long time, and you see the evidence in the wreckage that is this sad attempt to get people excited about something that really isn't that much. Classic bad marketing, from a studio that has a history of bad marketing.

At least they got their plug in for the useless swag merchandise at the end. "But wait wait, there's more!"

To be honest, I've seen modding groups do more with less. It might seem harsh, but it's true.

dissatisfied so much that ill probably leave the game after all. How they made fun of that pvp guy in the back of the theatre was my last straw, im a pvp/wvw focused player that realized, maybe a little late, that he's not wanted here anymore. Shame on you for ruining such a nice game!

> @"Brycar.2651" said:

> They delivered exactly what they kept saying and restating. This is NOT an expansion. This is an episode of LS.

>

> I am very happy to have build templates and a stepping stone into Raids. I am not an elite even tho I’ve played from launch. All the negative comments by and about elites have made me shy away from Raids. Maybe this will help me get good enough for Raids. BTW I do think some content should be difficult enough to make it and the rewards exclusive. If I want a Raid reward then I have to earn it.

>

> Also, I love the lore. I’ve wanted Meatober to be a big festival. I’m excited to have a Charr event. I don’t think it will be a “festival” like dragon bash but the story will take place within a celebration / meeting of the Charr political powers.

>

> Finally, super excited to learn more about the Norn spirits of the wild. This will be my favorite part.

bro Mike Z literally said this seaso- i mean saga would have "expansion like content" so your point is invalid, until now there is no "expansion like content" that has been announced and if you think strike missions are that well you have low standards.

> @"Zephire.8049" said:

> I'm quite happy with it. It revealed the setting and (very) general theme of what LW5 would be. There was talk about lore. No one saw the faux-raids coming. Nice cinematic, nice cut scene, and the devs were hilarious and enjoyable to watch and listen to.

>

> People keep saying Anet overhyped it but that was really the community's doing. It's been stated for _months_ that there would be no expansion this year (and possibly next). Announcing specific things that mostly veteran players or people who only play certain gamemodes now would just be weird to do at a convention rather than on the forums. Anet never even mentioned new elite specs. All Anet did was set a timer, send an email, and reveal the logo and hint at snow. And people forget if anything Anet always under-hypes things—PoF didn't get much of any marketing when it was announced, and never forget AAAAHHHH!!!!

>

> Would it have been nice to get more of a roadmap or something? For sure. But the only things they ever hinted at was LW5 info and how they were going to change up the formula they had set for LW3 and 4. Them stating that there would be a lot more charr and norn development because neither has had much of any was actually a big and welcome thing. As was officially stating build templates would be out Soon™ in front of a live audience. Rolling HoT into PoF was also new info.

>

> Though definitely could have done without the marketing push at the end.

>

> If Anet had gone around putting up massive billboards, made cryptic posts online, sent out packages, etc. for months beforehand and revealed what they did today I would agree that they overhyped things. But a timer and a graphic? Temper your hype to match what a company puts out. If it's an awesome announcement, you get to feel an excited rush. If it's good but not great, you can still enjoy it. If it's bad you won't feel bad for wasting your time and energy waiting for it.

>

> This is nowhere near the Canvas Bag level of letdowns, but you would never guess it given how much of a backlash there is because people assumed everything.

FALSE. The community did not overhype this, ANet did. This whole thing could've just been done in blog post like always, it did not justify a live event.

> @"JTGuevara.9018" said:

> > @"Zephire.8049" said:

> > I'm quite happy with it. It revealed the setting and (very) general theme of what LW5 would be. There was talk about lore. No one saw the faux-raids coming. Nice cinematic, nice cut scene, and the devs were hilarious and enjoyable to watch and listen to.

> >

> > People keep saying Anet overhyped it but that was really the community's doing. It's been stated for _months_ that there would be no expansion this year (and possibly next). Announcing specific things that mostly veteran players or people who only play certain gamemodes now would just be weird to do at a convention rather than on the forums. Anet never even mentioned new elite specs. All Anet did was set a timer, send an email, and reveal the logo and hint at snow. And people forget if anything Anet always under-hypes things—PoF didn't get much of any marketing when it was announced, and never forget AAAAHHHH!!!!

> >

> > Would it have been nice to get more of a roadmap or something? For sure. But the only things they ever hinted at was LW5 info and how they were going to change up the formula they had set for LW3 and 4. Them stating that there would be a lot more charr and norn development because neither has had much of any was actually a big and welcome thing. As was officially stating build templates would be out Soon™ in front of a live audience. Rolling HoT into PoF was also new info.

> >

> > Though definitely could have done without the marketing push at the end.

> >

> > If Anet had gone around putting up massive billboards, made cryptic posts online, sent out packages, etc. for months beforehand and revealed what they did today I would agree that they overhyped things. But a timer and a graphic? Temper your hype to match what a company puts out. If it's an awesome announcement, you get to feel an excited rush. If it's good but not great, you can still enjoy it. If it's bad you won't feel bad for wasting your time and energy waiting for it.

> >

> > This is nowhere near the Canvas Bag level of letdowns, but you would never guess it given how much of a backlash there is because people assumed everything.

>

> FALSE. The community did not overhype this, ANet did. This whole thing could've just been done in blog post like always, it did not justify a live event.

ANet told us in advance what the focus of the event was. Anyone expecting more did that to themselves.

> @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > @"JTGuevara.9018" said:

> > > @"Zephire.8049" said:

> > > I'm quite happy with it. It revealed the setting and (very) general theme of what LW5 would be. There was talk about lore. No one saw the faux-raids coming. Nice cinematic, nice cut scene, and the devs were hilarious and enjoyable to watch and listen to.

> > >

> > > People keep saying Anet overhyped it but that was really the community's doing. It's been stated for _months_ that there would be no expansion this year (and possibly next). Announcing specific things that mostly veteran players or people who only play certain gamemodes now would just be weird to do at a convention rather than on the forums. Anet never even mentioned new elite specs. All Anet did was set a timer, send an email, and reveal the logo and hint at snow. And people forget if anything Anet always under-hypes things—PoF didn't get much of any marketing when it was announced, and never forget AAAAHHHH!!!!

> > >

> > > Would it have been nice to get more of a roadmap or something? For sure. But the only things they ever hinted at was LW5 info and how they were going to change up the formula they had set for LW3 and 4. Them stating that there would be a lot more charr and norn development because neither has had much of any was actually a big and welcome thing. As was officially stating build templates would be out Soon™ in front of a live audience. Rolling HoT into PoF was also new info.

> > >

> > > Though definitely could have done without the marketing push at the end.

> > >

> > > If Anet had gone around putting up massive billboards, made cryptic posts online, sent out packages, etc. for months beforehand and revealed what they did today I would agree that they overhyped things. But a timer and a graphic? Temper your hype to match what a company puts out. If it's an awesome announcement, you get to feel an excited rush. If it's good but not great, you can still enjoy it. If it's bad you won't feel bad for wasting your time and energy waiting for it.

> > >

> > > This is nowhere near the Canvas Bag level of letdowns, but you would never guess it given how much of a backlash there is because people assumed everything.

> >

> > FALSE. The community did not overhype this, ANet did. This whole thing could've just been done in blog post like always, it did not justify a live event.

>

> ANet told us in advance what the focus of the event was. Anyone expecting more did that to themselves.

The point is the event didn't need to happen in the first place!

> @"JTGuevara.9018" said:

> > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > @"JTGuevara.9018" said:

> > > > @"Zephire.8049" said:

> > > > I'm quite happy with it. It revealed the setting and (very) general theme of what LW5 would be. There was talk about lore. No one saw the faux-raids coming. Nice cinematic, nice cut scene, and the devs were hilarious and enjoyable to watch and listen to.

> > > >

> > > > People keep saying Anet overhyped it but that was really the community's doing. It's been stated for _months_ that there would be no expansion this year (and possibly next). Announcing specific things that mostly veteran players or people who only play certain gamemodes now would just be weird to do at a convention rather than on the forums. Anet never even mentioned new elite specs. All Anet did was set a timer, send an email, and reveal the logo and hint at snow. And people forget if anything Anet always under-hypes things—PoF didn't get much of any marketing when it was announced, and never forget AAAAHHHH!!!!

> > > >

> > > > Would it have been nice to get more of a roadmap or something? For sure. But the only things they ever hinted at was LW5 info and how they were going to change up the formula they had set for LW3 and 4. Them stating that there would be a lot more charr and norn development because neither has had much of any was actually a big and welcome thing. As was officially stating build templates would be out Soon™ in front of a live audience. Rolling HoT into PoF was also new info.

> > > >

> > > > Though definitely could have done without the marketing push at the end.

> > > >

> > > > If Anet had gone around putting up massive billboards, made cryptic posts online, sent out packages, etc. for months beforehand and revealed what they did today I would agree that they overhyped things. But a timer and a graphic? Temper your hype to match what a company puts out. If it's an awesome announcement, you get to feel an excited rush. If it's good but not great, you can still enjoy it. If it's bad you won't feel bad for wasting your time and energy waiting for it.

> > > >

> > > > This is nowhere near the Canvas Bag level of letdowns, but you would never guess it given how much of a backlash there is because people assumed everything.

> > >

> > > FALSE. The community did not overhype this, ANet did. This whole thing could've just been done in blog post like always, it did not justify a live event.

> >

> > ANet told us in advance what the focus of the event was. Anyone expecting more did that to themselves.

>

> The point is the event didn't need to happen in the first place!

Then buy ANet from NCSoft and go to town with the decision making.

They decided, as was their right, to hold a live event to announce a new content addition to the game. They told us up front what to expect. They then delivered what they told us to expect. It doesnt matter if you or someone else didnt feel the need for an event announcement. If you didnt want to attend (live or digitally) you didnt have to. Since ANet told us what was coming the event was clearly for those who WERE interested in what was announced.

> @"Mewcifer.5198" said:

> Why are some people so convinced that the announcement was supposed to include elites and legendary weapons and such?

Anet dedicated 45 minutes. Advertised the shit out of the announcement. Had 48 hour timer. The clearly eluded to something big. Then all they did take about is LWS, which we already knew. Told us about it will revolve about Jormag, which we already. Build templates, which we already... knew. The timing also concedes with 2 year cycle of expansions.

We knew no expansion was coming, but the disappointment is no content coming but one episode every 2-3 month. This is no where near to enough content for the game to have any replay ability.

In my opinion this game is done in terms of content. It is now clearly in decline state where the devs are trying to spend the least amount of resources and milk what will remain of the player base.

> @"Vayne.8563" said:

> > @"zealex.9410" said:

> > > @"Vayne.8563" said:

> > > It blows my mind how many people in this thread think this announcement was aimed at existing players and not people not playing who might be attending pax. I've said all along (and got downvoted on reddit for it) that this announcement wasn't for us. It was Anet trying to get more people playing the game. They don't need to rent a theater for us.

> >

> > Yeah, everyone know wow and ff14 do their blizzcons and fanfest for new players, the vets and dedicated players dont need that, which dev in their right mind would make a live event for their fans to see and advertise through word of mouth? Im sure if wow and ff14 did these events for the fans or had content for them they would tank in popularity.

> >

> > Let me check real quick their new stuff... oh, ff14 shb top rated expansion of all time and one of the best ff games.

> >

> > Lets check wow im sure wow will be kittening their vets once more.... oh, classic has massive player queues, had 1+ million viewers on twitch and everyone is loving it.

> >

> > Hmm weird.

> >

> > /s

>

> Oh I see. Sarcasm. I get it.

>

> No one went to Blizcon and complained about an announcement there, amIrite? No one ever complains about other MMOs just this one. Those other posts about WoW must all be my imagination.

>

> Anet wasn't making an announcement to us and I said as much prior to this, either here or on reddit or both. I knew it. They're announcing Season 5, so why do they need to rent a room. It's not to tell us about an expansion, I knew that. So you know, I figured it out. It's not that hard. The fact that Anet, a smaller company with one single product, a single older game, that has no movies, that doesn't have XIII titles in front of the one they're promoting, isn't going to have it's own con. It's going to a con to promote the game to people who don't already have it. I'm not sure why this is such a strange thing to you.

>

> More people have left WoW than have ever played this game. WoW players aren't universally happy. But comparing anything to WoW in this industry, even FFXIV doesn't work because they had a huge jump and a huge warchest from other successes prior to WOW. Anet just doesn't have that kind of clout AND NEVER DID.

>

> You can use all the sarcasm in the world, but I knew what this announcement was about before it came out and said so. Not sure why it's so hard for people to figure out.

no sorry, but warframe is exactly what you claim, they have no movies nor numbers on their game, its just warframe, still they made tennocon, so what's your point?

are you going to tell me that ANET after all this years cant make a dedicated con for his fan, get the hell out of here with that, don't be ridiculous.

That announcement was the single most disappointing thing I have ever see, they adress nothing the community has been asking, people is on the right to complaint for the poor decicions ANET is making.

> @"BadMed.3846" said:

> The event did not create enough hype compared to the two expansions. This is actually good as the expansions were disappointing at first. PoF is still responsible for more damage to the game than good. There were some good announcements at the event and I'm happy that they're inviting more new players to the game by making it cheaper overall.

> Old players who played long hours will surely feel bored of slow moving content and will go elsewhere. It's ok though as this game does not really cater to the hardcore MMO market and some of us prefer it the way it is.

Yet it _has_ a hardcore population, whether it's raids, T4 fractals, PvP, or WvW, those communities absolutely exist. I'm an example of someone who plays in 3 of those 4 that I mentioned whenever the PvE story/achievements have been caught up to, or don't want to farm anymore etc. The whole idea of having those game modes is a natural progression from where "casual" people may go after a certain point. Some may never want to engage in those things, others will be curious but don't have a good way to access it for whatever the reason. Either way, they exist, and I would want as many people to feel like their game mode is just as curated as the other.

Living World as we knew it necessarily meant PvE content each time it would drop. It never meant PvP, WvW, or even Raid/Fractal content would drop along with it. This is a big point of contention among people of that community. Why is it the case when, for example, PvP maps are smaller and may take less time to throw together compared to, say a new map for LW? Dragonfall was huge, and is a blast (or nightmare for some) to explore. I was so happy to run around there marveling at the size of Kralkatoric's soon-to-be corpse. That joy and sense of wonder has been very elusive for members of *any* of GW2s hardcore community, PvE or otherwise.

I'm sure many other players hop game modes based on what's fresh, and some things... well just aren't fresh!

> @"FrizzFreston.5290" said:

> > @"Vayne.8563" said:

> > Mostly satisfied. I didn't expect this to be for us, I expected it to be more for new players. To get them into the game. Which is good for me.

>

> I'm wondering how useful it is to be looking for new players after your game turns 7 years old.

>

> And if i think about it, I fail to see how this was for new players. The only thing that new players would be interested in was that HoT and PoF are now under one package. Which is only part of the announcement. And would only make sense if you know about GW2 and it's expansion packs and monetization plan.

>

> The majority was about continuation of the story. A story a new player couldnt even follow. And then an advert for items clearly made for people who are already a fan.

>

> If you meant returning players or free to play players, at least already a bit in the know with GW2, that would make more sense.

>

>

Really? New players see a new trailer. They see they can get one expansion and get the other free. They see they can get the cool new prologue free, which Anet said was sort of a restart, and suddenly boom, hundreds of hours of play at least for the price of one single game. This announcement had new player written all over it. It's our way of starting over, which means they can start too. They even said it.