[POLL] How satisfied are you about the August 30th announcement regarding the future of GW2?

Man, the trailer was amazing. The hype of it was ruined by the event though, if they had just done a blogpost and the maybe a bog standard Guild Chat on Twitch then it would have been better.

If you announce a "special announcement event" and go through all that much trouble, make sure you have something special on hand.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Zephire.8049" said:

> People keep saying Anet overhyped it but that was really the community's doing.

The hype people are referring to is last month's pre-announcement to announce the big announcement we all just got - doing that was Anet's decision. That pre-announcement counted as hype and it excited those with high expectations. Can't blame them though: they've been waiting and waiting for something substantial for their preferred modes of game play.

Personally, I play it safe and never expect much from anything or anyone, especially entertainment of this nature. To do otherwise would be to invite profound disappointment.

> @"thepenmonster.3621" said:

> > @"serialkicker.5274" said:

> > think it's kinda stale

>

> Not finding the game fun anymore? Cool. I have walked away from a dozen or so MMOs over the years and none of the devs came to my house to beat me up for not playing. When I'm not enjoying this one I'll walk away from it as well. Anet won't notice or care any more than Cryptic or SSG did.

Me too. So, what's your point? That I shouldn't be sharing my opinion on forum that is designed for this purpose? I am only suppose to post praising comments? I shared my opinion on why I think announcement wasn't well perceived and explained why I think that. I am not mad or angry at company, I don't demand anything, I'm simply saying what I think was the problem and why we expected something else by this announcement.

> @"Rukario.1695" said:

> I find it pretty sour how poll posts only happen when there is community dissatisfaction.

>

> As far as the announcement goes, I'm relatively neutral since I hadn't been expecting much after the layoffs and physiological effects removing all of those employees would have on everyone.

^^ Just this especially the first sentence. ^^

@Rukario.1695 did you mean "psychological effects" or "physiological effects" mate?

> @"Acheron.4731" said:

> > @"LadyRhonwyn.2501" said:

> > Is there any way to read what was said at that announcement? The only thing I read was that HoT will be included if you buy PoF (that explains the XP event in HoT next week) and that the new LS will start in september.

>

>

> this might help

Thank you. But why this wasn't put on the front page, is a mystery...

> @"psizone.8437" said:

> Man, the trailer was amazing. The hype of it was ruined by the event though, if they had just done a blogpost and the maybe a bog standard Guild Chat on Twitch then it would have been better.

>

> If you announce a "special announcement event" and go through all that much trouble, make sure you have something special on hand.

Well, technically they do have special things on hand, but they have had those on hand for a few years now. They seemed to mostly repeat what we already knew, making what was actually news, less impactful.

Of course, if anyone didnt closely follow ArenaNet quotes, they would know now too.

> @"Vayne.8563" said:

> > @"zealex.9410" said:

> > > @"Vayne.8563" said:

> > > It blows my mind how many people in this thread think this announcement was aimed at existing players and not people not playing who might be attending pax. I've said all along (and got downvoted on reddit for it) that this announcement wasn't for us. It was Anet trying to get more people playing the game. They don't need to rent a theater for us.

> >

> > Yeah, everyone know wow and ff14 do their blizzcons and fanfest for new players, the vets and dedicated players dont need that, which dev in their right mind would make a live event for their fans to see and advertise through word of mouth? Im sure if wow and ff14 did these events for the fans or had content for them they would tank in popularity.

> >

> > Let me check real quick their new stuff... oh, ff14 shb top rated expansion of all time and one of the best ff games.

> >

> > Lets check wow im sure wow will be kittening their vets once more.... oh, classic has massive player queues, had 1+ million viewers on twitch and everyone is loving it.

> >

> > Hmm weird.

> >

> > /s

>

> You can use all the sarcasm in the world, but I knew what this announcement was about before it came out and said so. Not sure why it's so hard for people to figure out.

Maybe all the forum announcements, blogposts and big red countdowns confused them. I mean, for something that was so clearly not aimed at them, Anet did a pretty good job making sure existing players knew all about it

For me it is a 4. I'm a returning player after a veeeeery long break. I have still tons of stuff to catch up on. I'm glad that it isn't a nex expansion which would have meant new elite specs. Makes it easier to catch up if such stuff gets released slower paced. Also I hear tons of people complaining about balancing issues in PvP/WvW. So they might fix these first before adding new elites. (Which would make balancing even harder. )

Now I agree that the stuff with this event ... pretty much a big deal for just a living story and the merchandise. But those "strike missions" seem nice to me - as I'm not a player that likes fractals/raids/dungeons. And they were promised to be shorter in duration.

I also like the thing with HoT and PoF being sold 2 for 1 - being able to save money. Old players that bought everything at full price shoudl remember: We already had people complaining about having to buy expansions and living story as well. And older players had the chance to get living story unlocked for free. Personally I wouldn't have had a problem with buying both expansions each for 30 or both together for 50 + the living story as well. (And I have bought the full game back then - then took a break from end 2013 until 2019 - and I'm not complaining that expansion buyers get full access to the core game as well without extra payments.)

So I'm pretty happy for me. Can at least save a bit on the expansiosn when I still have to buy all the living story and have paid for the core game.

Merchandise focus was a bit much though on the stream. But the "show" was nice. I have to admit I usually don't watch such events and I don't like internet personalities and stuff ... but the guy doing the moderation/interviews was cool. Liked his voice and the way he talked. Didn't feel to focused on getting attention mainly for himself. He did a great job and the live audience applauding made it nice. Would have liked to see more of content/story though - instead of talks and merchandise.

> @"Greg.7086" said:

> > @"Rukario.1695" said:

> > I find it pretty sour how poll posts only happen when there is community dissatisfaction.

> >

> > As far as the announcement goes, I'm relatively neutral since I hadn't been expecting much after the layoffs and physiological effects removing all of those employees would have on everyone.

>

> ^^ Just this especially the first sentence. ^^

>

> @Rukario.1695 did you mean "psychological effects" or "physiological effects" mate?

>

Whoops, blame autocorrect. Thanks for pointing that out.

There was nothing worth of note in the presentation.

Living World Season 5 is coming? Yeah, we knew it already.

Prolog on Septembre 17th? When will the Season properly start?

Northern Shiverpeaks and Charr Homeland? They straight up took ideas and wishes from the forums and reddit.

A trailer? Those usually come with blog posts, no reason to rent a time slot at a public event.

Templates being in work? We already knew about that.

Merchandise? Who really cares? I'm not gonna pay for some not-so-funky paper weights and T-shirts that don't fit anyway and probably cost half a fortune to import to Germany.

Practically nothing for PvP and WvW? It's the usual.

Strike missions? Those are just bounties that cannot be zerg'd.

> @"Mewcifer.5198" said:

> > @"Pifil.5193" said:

> > > @"Mewcifer.5198" said:

> > > Why are some people so convinced that the announcement was supposed to include elites and legendary weapons and such?

> >

> > Because ArenaNet have made vague statements that they think that living world can contain expansion level content (without qualifying what that meant) and both expansions gave us elite specs as one of their main features.

> >

> > We've also had legendaries with each LS episode since LS3 began (to round our the gen 2 legendary collection) and some people expect that to continue.

>

> The legendaries were only a part of living story released because they needed to finish up the second generation that was introduced with HoT. They said nothing that would indicate they are starting a third generation of them.

>

> And people are the ones who assume expansion type content *has* to be elites. I also regularly see people asking anet to *not* add new elites since they feel the current ones are not balanced.

Hey, you asked why people want or expect them, I said why, people expect the patterns they see to continue. I myself didn't expect either elites or more legendary weapons, (although more legendary weapons seems quite likely at _some_ point in the future).

ArenaNet could have cleared up peoples misconceptions about elite specs and legendary weapons at any time but chose not to. Better to let people string themselves along I suppose.

> @"Dragon Priestess.9760" said:

> Again, I am satisfied with the content they announced - however, the way it was hyped and advertised was really deceptive. Plus they spent more time talking about merchandising than they did talking about the actual updates.

>

> NCsoft should have been much more realistic with their announcement.

I think I would run along these lines as well...LS stuff was the focus and it does sound intriguing but if you search for that elusive expansion type content within it.. it just didn't deliver on what was very much an overhyped effort to post old news.

What was new to the dialogue was devoid of any real detail, lacking in substance and seemed merely included to help steer the next round of merchandising and gemstore launches.

So..if I was to actually put a poll score I would likely say 2.5 - some interesting LS update as expected with a poorly thought through over the top event that lacked genuine excitement, something that would of been far better to have had done via Guild chat stream.

Perhaps it was just my own mood skewing opinion, but it looked like there was some pretty disappointed faces leaving the theatre, which would say much more than this poll will though... but as I said, it might be my own disappointment leading me to think that.

As a filthy casual, I'm not as deeply invested in the game as some, or as overly sensitive as others so the way the updates were announced is fine to me. I'm just happy for more content.

Not that it matters, but I was under the impression that the style of announcement was different this time to garner a bit more attention as wow classic launched and reminded the mmo community of the joy of queueing for a space on a server.

> @"SuwanHime.7685" said:

>

>

> I'm afraid it's partially a matter like described in this video about the gaming industry. Arenanet's name even gets shown on the presentation when they talk about lay-offs being a regular thing now in the gaming industry.

Lay-offs happen all the time, its not something unique to game industry. Anet is mentioned as a company that had layoffs. But thats not what this episode of patriot act is about.

This particular episode is about abuse of labour rights and so called "crunch" within game industry. So far as we know Anet is not guilty of any of those, as a matter of fact its quite the opposite. So no, that's not the issue

As usual a lot for PvE, plenty of jam today and tomorrow here. A little for PvP and for WvW, maybe someday.

PvE bit sounds great. The starter raids are something that could and should have been done earlier. Simply putting in a normal mode and hard mode would have been enough. Plenty of us have wondered over the years about the Norn spirits and if the lost ones could eventually be recovered. Will the Norn be able to change their animal spirit to owl or eagle? Will other races be able to adopt a Norn animal spirit (I want BUNNY! :P )?

There are plenty of skills that were modified or introduced in HoT and PoF which are problematic in sPvP It cannot be subjected to the same skills set as PvE.

WvW also has huge problems with some skills. If the requirement is simply activating AoE skills and charging in then it's far too much cheese. Then balancing skills in WvW is going to be much easier than balancing numbers.

I'm still not convinced that making it even more guild based is a good idea. There has to be options for everyone in WvW from roamers up to full guilds.

Putting a place for GvG in Obsidian Sanctum was a good idea, implementation made it much too small. The Guild hall version was nice, but again, far too small for GvG. There still needs to be a bigger area where this can take place that is not WvW. A GvG lounge would be nice too so that individuals or groups could meet to fight each other without entering WvW, although the implementation would need a lot of care and thought.

I'm delighted. I didn't expect expansion..nor am i that eager for one.

I'm excited for the strikers and build templates.

And a map that grows again. I've been wanting to go back to that.

and this stream was mainly to get new players in, npt really for us. And that's ok. A game needs new players as wellm

> @"Cyninja.2954" said:

> Trailer - great

> Hype for more story - great

> Quality of Life features promised - good

> Strike missions - good

> amount of pvp and wvw content mentioned - poor

> Expansion hinting - not reassuring

> Actually unknown content mentioned - none

> Necessity for this event - none

Sums it up for me.

I knew this event was going to be about LS or mostly about it. The fact that they built this up with teasers, the countdown, the shirts they wore on stream, doing a live event, renting an entire theater, etc. made it seem like something else was going to be mentioned. So when they spend nearly 30 minutes talking about lore and the prologue coming on the 17th and just about 5 or so on everything else, I'm pretty bummed out. It tells me that the rest of 2019 won't even have anything related to what I enjoy most about this game. How else am I supposed to feel? Yeah, the trailer was great. Yeah, those who love lore and story are going to be happy but what about the rest of us? Why are we being ignored time and time again? It just sucks to be strung along and feel like you don't matter.

> @"Vayne.8563" said:

> Mostly satisfied. I didn't expect this to be for us, I expected it to be more for new players. To get them into the game. Which is good for me.

I'm wondering how useful it is to be looking for new players after your game turns 7 years old.

And if i think about it, I fail to see how this was for new players. The only thing that new players would be interested in was that HoT and PoF are now under one package. Which is only part of the announcement. And would only make sense if you know about GW2 and it's expansion packs and monetization plan.

The majority was about continuation of the story. A story a new player couldnt even follow. And then an advert for items clearly made for people who are already a fan.

If you meant returning players or free to play players, at least already a bit in the know with GW2, that would make more sense.