What is the difference between a season and a saga ?

Hi everyone, i'm here to speak about the future season, which isn't a season but a saga, anyone know why they call it differently ?

Maybe that's because the time between episode is longer? Maybe we have more content in one episode? I didn't heard about it during the annoucement, maybe i just missed it ? Well i heard season was after an xpac (which wasn't the case for the first, ok it was after the release it can count, and the second one) , but the season have no link with the previous xpac, PoF is about Balthazar and Season 4 is about Kralk.

Because it's not about the episode didn't have a map by its own, season 2 was already like that. Is that just because the content we will receive is more flexible ? But for me the season was just about episodes of a story.

Please i want to know more, be hyped about season 5, or icebrood saga for the purists.

***PS : Sorry for the english mistakes.***

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey! Just to start, I too am excited about the coming season / saga. To be honest though, I don't think Arenanet touched on what the key differences between seasons and sagas were. The only thing they actually mentioned was that there was a Prologue episode. So this September 17th we can expect a sort of intro episode that will start things off and we go into episode 1 and 2.

On top of that it sounded like episode 1 and 2 will take place in the Northern Shiverpeaks and will both be within the same map, however we will see the map expand and grow overtime as story beats reveal more and more. This is how Drytop worked when it first came out during season 2.

That's all I can gather from the announcement, I'm excited to see what's ahead.

> @"rrusse.7058" said:

> To be honest though, I don't think Arenanet touched on what the key differences between seasons and sagas were.

...which is a shame. They raised my curiousity when they revealed the title, then did not go into detail. Hmph.

> I'm excited to see what's ahead.

Me too. :)

> @"rrusse.7058" said:

> Hey! Just to start, I too am excited about the coming season / saga. To be honest though, I don't think Arenanet touched on what the key differences between seasons and sagas were. The only thing they actually mentioned was that there was a Prologue episode. So this September 17th we can expect a sort of intro episode that will start things off and we go into episode 1 and 2.

>

> On top of that it sounded like episode 1 and 2 will take place in the Northern Shiverpeaks and will both be within the same map, however we will see the map expand and grow overtime as story beats reveal more and more. This is how Drytop worked when it first came out during season 2.

>

> That's all I can gather from the announcement, I'm excited to see what's ahead.

The Silverwastes used the same mechanic of adding to the map through 4 Living World releases.

> @"EzLIghT.1354" said:

> Hi everyone, i'm here to speak about the future season, which isn't a season but a saga, anyone know why they call it differently ?

>

> Maybe that's because the time between episode is longer? Maybe we have more content in one episode? I didn't heard about it during the annoucement, maybe i just missed it ? Well i heard season was after an xpac (which wasn't the case for the first, ok it was after the release it can count, and the second one) , but the season have no link with the previous xpac, PoF is about Balthazar and Season 4 is about Kralk.

>

> Because it's not about the episode didn't have a map by its own, season 2 was already like that. Is that just because the content we will receive is more flexible ? But for me the season was just about episodes of a story.

>

>

> Please i want to know more, be hyped about season 5, or icebrood saga for the purists.

> ***PS : Sorry for the english mistakes.***

The difference is just the name being used. “Saga” is just being used for marketing.

It can be anything..

- a living world season as we know them like lws3 and 4.

- a living world season like season 1 (they did mention about things adjusting/changing/evolving) but with a little more replayability aka it won't vanish after but i don't know how they will roll back evolve stages (perhaps like a cycle?)

- an expansion as we know it (they mentioned no sub so should be free?) but content upload divided over periods instead of one go (4 maps, story spread out, expac materials added (they did mention expansion like features whatever that is). Given they said they wanted to go in a new direction, we are not sure expansions will come in future and this may as well be their replacement given they seem to put more focus on the gem store over normal sales.

We will not know before we experience it and I guess we cannot judge based on the epilogue either (hot epilogue was just running through silverwastes from east to west in example). Only time will tell.

> @"Vieux P.1238" said:

> What is the difference between a season and a saga ?

> None! Just changed the name for one to the other. Means the same thing. It's just fat butter to make it look like some big new news. But it's really not.

They described old Season 2 level map changes and unlocks. That alone is completely different from LS3 and LS4.

My guess is that they want to differentiate themselves from the negative stigma that has built around Seasons. WoodenPotatoes also mentioned this on his video about the story. Basically people think episodes are always only 2 hours of content and nothing else, so this bit of rebranding could be a way of trying to change that wrong impression. Since we know that this season is going to be quite unlike the previous ones it might also just indicate exactly that.

Personally I like to look at it this way: It's a combination of Season 2 and Season 4. S4 had some big things in it, but the majority of it was largely disconnected from the rest, whereas S2, with it's smaller episodes and updating of existing maps, did that pretty well. We're going up in scale to the level of Season 4, with the world expansion of Season 2.

Apparently the length and the formula so far. The mentioned expansion lvl stuff in the next saga but no such thing was really shown so far.

Only time will tell.

What you should expect? Well dependijg on their cadence either the next 2 2 1/2 years to be content packed compaired to the underwhelming se4 or at similar condent cadence with a diff format.

What does the saga mean outside of living world? So far not much, assurances that stuff we knew are comming i guess.

i hope is like a NeverWinter similar concept that they call "campaign". in a "campaign", u had histories, achievments and progression very tied and in some sort of sinergy. u really fell completing and progressing the content instead of just rush history/farm maps/do some achievs. i hope the devs read this and borrow the concept in a gw2 way.

heres some screenshots.

![](https://i.redd.it/w3peub7wqh221.jpg "")

![](https://gamepedia.cursecdn.com/neverwinter_gamepedia/0/0f/The_Maze_Engine_Campaign_Progress_Tree.jpg "")

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/49853844526080161/EA39BDA56224CD88E0D4DB03D2D99DF204359FEF/?imw=1024&imh=768&ima=fit&impolicy=Letterbox&imcolor=%23000000&letterbox=true