Am I the only 1 who loves underwater combat?

I absolutely love the underwater combat in this game ( let's ignore the blood shark ?) It brings a whole different depth to each map and a sense of wonder of what lies below.

I see people remarking negatively that there will be a lot of UW combat in the next Exp but I'm looking forward to it.

I seem to be a rarity though so was wondering if there are others out there like me who would love more UW content added like the krait chests etc and would be looking forward to exploring the vast depths of the new Exp.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't mind the underwater combat so much. As you said, adds another layer of gameplay.

The problem with underwater combat (at least for me) lies within the abilities you get, either feeling sub-par to absolutely useless, with how weak some of the skills are compared to fighting on land. You're also extremely limited in the amount of weapons you can use underwater as well. (Trident, spear, speargun)

If I didn't have Minions on my Necro/Reaper, I don't think I'd really be effective at killing anything in the water, as the cooldowns are insanely long, and my basic attacks don't do a whole lot.

My opinion of course.

I actually don't know why there is so much hate towards it either. I also find it interesting. I have actually never played an MMO with such good underwater exploration and combat.

That isn't to say there should be some improvements. For example, there needs to be more breathing apparati. It is pretty hard to find an Exotic one. Also, the amount of utility skills is greatly reduced when underwater which limits builds and flexibility compared to land combat. I am excited that they gave the skimmer an underwater feature to speed up underwater exploration. There are some really cool under water areas in game.

Maybe the next elite specs with be "amphibious" and expand both underwater and land skills. Let's harness some of that Deep Sea Dragon power!

I'm partial. My main, and my starting character, an Engineer has ABYSMAL underwater skills. And it coloured my opinion of it for years until I made chars of different classes and realize how much better they had it.

Please fix the harpoon gun on engineer D: it's so slow, and one of it's attack literally miss 2/3 of it's payload at very close distance. The only way you get to hit anything properly with it, is to hit it at melee range, and it defeat the purpose of having a gun. The only alternative is the elixir gun, which is not really suited for combat if you're not using a Condi only (and even then, is subpar)

On all the other classes, you have an ease of movement, fluidity of skill cycle, and changing weapon type diversify combat.

> @"Naxos.2503" said:

> I'm partial. My main, and my starting character, an Engineer has ABYSMAL underwater skills. And it coloured my opinion of it for years until I made chars of different classes and realize how much better they had it.

>

>

> Please fix the harpoon gun on engineer D: it's so slow, and one of it's attack literally miss 2/3 of it's payload at very close distance. The only way you get to hit anything properly with it, is to hit it at melee range, and it defeat the purpose of having a gun. The only alternative is the elixir gun, which is not really suited for combat if you're not using a Condi only (and even then, is subpar)

>

> On all the other classes, you have an ease of movement, fluidity of skill cycle, and changing weapon type diversify combat.

I thought engineer used grenade or bomb kit under water and having a blast with it.

> @"Seb De Tyra.3421" said:

> I absolutely love the underwater combat in this game ( let's ignore the blood shark ?) It brings a whole different depth to each map and a sense of wonder of what lies below.

>

> I see people remarking negatively that there will be a lot of UW combat in the next Exp but I'm looking forward to it.

>

> I seem to be a rarity though so was wondering if there are others out there like me who would love more UW content added like the krait chests etc and would be looking forward to exploring the vast depths of the new Exp.

>

I don't feel that there should be no underwater combat and I see nothing wrong with things like the krait chests. I can even appreciate underwater combat as a really cool concept. But it wrecks the whole feel of the combat for me, so I would be very disappointed to see underwater combat as a central theme in the next expansion.

My one gripe with underwater combat is that it's really hard to gauge distance. Sometimes I think I'm far from an enemy when I'm right on top of it, sometimes I am far away when I think I'm in melee range. Similarly, it's difficult to tell how clustered/spread out groups of enemies are. Maybe with EoD, we'll see some sort of underwater fighting mastery that gives you a rangefinder over enemies.

That being said, I LOVE the underwater combat skills of my main (Herald Rev). If they were land skills, I'd drop sword/sword and hammer to go Spear/Trident everywhere!

I love it too, Gw2 has one of if not thee best underwater combat systems in a MMO.

It's a shame it's potential was never brought out over the last 8 years, hopefully it will be soon and we'll finally get some maps with a decent chunk of underwater content.

Some people aint going to like that.. and each to their own, but we've had 8 years of mostly land content, focused around Elder Dragons that live on land.. Underwater deserves the attention for a change and when we fight the sea dragon it better be at least partly underwater lol.

> @"CaelestiaEmpyrea.2617" said:

> My one gripe with underwater combat is that it's really hard to gauge distance. Sometimes I think I'm far from an enemy when I'm right on top of it, sometimes I am far away when I think I'm in melee range. Similarly, it's difficult to tell how clustered/spread out groups of enemies are.

Came here to say the same thing. As soon as I'm fighting enemies under water it's like my depth perception is just... gone. I generally don't mind underwater combat, though as others have said, a good chunk of terrestrial skills are unusable under water so it doesn't feel as fun/rewarding to me.

> @"Seb De Tyra.3421" said:

> I absolutely love the underwater combat in this game ( let's ignore the blood shark ?) It brings a whole different depth to each map and a sense of wonder of what lies below.

>

> I see people remarking negatively that there will be a lot of UW combat in the next Exp but I'm looking forward to it.

>

> I seem to be a rarity though so was wondering if there are others out there like me who would love more UW content added like the krait chests etc and would be looking forward to exploring the vast depths of the new Exp.

>

Honestly, It comes down to the fact that alot people will always be raising thier expectations, never to be satisfied with anything. They wont make compromises. It's a big they want what they want and they want it NOW mentality.

> @"Linken.6345" said:

> > @"Naxos.2503" said:

> > I'm partial. My main, and my starting character, an Engineer has ABYSMAL underwater skills. And it coloured my opinion of it for years until I made chars of different classes and realize how much better they had it.

> >

> >

> > Please fix the harpoon gun on engineer D: it's so slow, and one of it's attack literally miss 2/3 of it's payload at very close distance. The only way you get to hit anything properly with it, is to hit it at melee range, and it defeat the purpose of having a gun. The only alternative is the elixir gun, which is not really suited for combat if you're not using a Condi only (and even then, is subpar)

> >

> > On all the other classes, you have an ease of movement, fluidity of skill cycle, and changing weapon type diversify combat.

>

> I thought engineer used grenade or bomb kit under water and having a blast with it.

The issue is all of these will tend to fail if the enemy moves, as the projectiles are too slow and in some cases cannot be aimed accurately (that also includes throw potion skills which are just ghastly to aim)

Underwater combat is objectively horrible.

- Limited availability of skills (Many utilities cannot be used underwater for... Reasons)

- Limited availability of rebreathers (Especially notable when wanting to put a Rune in for a 6 set bonus underwater)

- Many traits (Thus builds) become obsolete underwater

- Objects and terrain are merely suggestions to NPC's underwater causing enemies to swim inside of the ground and become obstructed

THAT said, there are some underwater weapons that are pretty nice.

I love both of Necro's underwater weapons for example, both of them have mobility skills and both have cleave/AoE. You know, the things that Necro is forbidden to have apparently... (Also, Trident has a cool mechanic of "Every skill shoots your auto attack at things")

Ranger's underwater weapons are also pretty cool (Albeit a bit weird due to their mix of Condi and Power skills) especially nailing Feeding Frenzy with Piercing through multiple enemies so the AoE cloud procs on every target melting packs of trash or landing a max distance Surging Maw and hitting that 18 bleed stacks.

Other than that though, many underwater weapons suck (Exception being Thief Spear, which is OP as sin with Flanking Dive but it's not very fun because it is just 222222222 for max effectiveness)

I dont like it mainly because my specializations are basically useless underwater. Most of my spec skills are unusable underwater and underwater weapons arent designed with elite specs in mind.

I play mesmer. Why some necro wells work underwater but not chrono wells?

If they fixed rhings like that maybe I'd like it.

depends on the class, for example as a thief (harpoon) or necro (trident) i absolutely love it due to the simplicity and high damaging skills

but on certain classes like engineer (harpoon) or revenant, it's just awful for me

classes/professions aside, there isn't anything remarkable about underwater combat... i just appreciate it's there