Weird TP items question.

It is worth 10000 gold cause that is the maximum something can be worth. You need the actual item to get it listed and you need to pay 500 gold to get it listed for 10000 gold.

So we can know for sure that someone has the item and has payed 5% fee to get it listed for the price it is on the TP. It might be cause of a hack, but the GM's check the TP as well and have very likely researched it. I have no doubt that here is no foul play.

As how it is possible that this item exists we can only speculate. It isn't officially in game, but it has an entry in the game database. It does not officiallt exist in the game as it isn't part of any loottable and is not sold or crafted by anyone. My speculation would be that a loottable got corrupt causing this item to drop. Nothing the player could have done against it so it is a legit bug.

These are extremely rare items which are only occasionally listed on the Trading Post. That means when someone gets one they have no current offers to give them an idea of what it's worth, and at least some people will assume rare = valuable and list it for the highest price they can pay the listing fee on.

It's worth remembering however that just because someone has listed it at that price doesn't mean it's actually worth that much or that anyone will pay that much for it, everything you can see for sale on the TP is an item which hasn't yet sold, and in some cases might never sell at that price. You can see buy offers in your first and third screenshots, and they're all much, much lower. Some of the ones you found may have been sitting there for years (as far as I know there's no time limit on TP sales) because no one else thinks they're worth that much and so no one has bought them.

As for why it's allowed it's because no one has to buy it at that price if they don't think it's worth it. They can place a buy order for what they are willing to pay, and since these are all anomalies rather than special items which are needed for collections or have special effects or whatever they can also just not buy them at all and not miss out on anything except owning a weird item.

> @"mercury ranique.2170" said:

> As how it is possible that this item exists we can only speculate. It isn't officially in game, but it has an entry in the game database. It does not officiallt exist in the game as it isn't part of any loottable and is not sold or crafted by anyone. My speculation would be that a loottable got corrupt causing this item to drop. Nothing the player could have done against it so it is a legit bug.

I actually got one of these once, a few years ago, I think it was a staff that was just called 'Staff'. If I remember correctly it came from one of the 'gifts' from mawdrey or one of the other ascended material eaters.

I sold it to the highest bidder for about 10g rather than listing it, because I wasn't at all sure the listing would sell.

This expensive items with low rarity and without a special skin don't drop anymore, as far as I can remember many of them were fractal-drops before a rework a long time ago. As there is no new supply, there may be different reasons for the high sell prices:

1) some people like to collect strange things

2) some people just like to show-off

3) there were also rumors that some of this items were used to quickly transfer gold (e.g. by goldsellers)

4) some that like risky invests, might have bought some and hope for a buyer (from the above mentioned groups)

5) someone with an older account came back and didn't know how much he should ask for their old items

There may be more reasons, but that was all that came to my mind atm.

> @"mercury ranique.2170" said:

> It is worth 10000 gold cause that is the maximum something can be worth. You need the actual item to get it listed and you need to pay 500 gold to get it listed for 10000 gold.

>

> So we can know for sure that someone has the item and has payed 5% fee to get it listed for the price it is on the TP. It might be cause of a hack, but the GM's check the TP as well and have very likely researched it. I have no doubt that here is no foul play.

>

> As how it is possible that this item exists we can only speculate. It isn't officially in game, but it has an entry in the game database. It does not officiallt exist in the game as it isn't part of any loottable and is not sold or crafted by anyone. My speculation would be that a loottable got corrupt causing this item to drop. Nothing the player could have done against it so it is a legit bug.

Yeah i know 10k is the max, i'm wondering why a Yellow item costs that much... And why someone would pay 500g to try to sell it lol.

As for the bug thing, legit or not, shouldn't Anet remove it if they scour the TP for it, and replace the item with a non bugged one?

Besides the bow, how does someone even know that it's a "rare" or bugged item, and costs much if it's a yellow. It's just a normal axe and there's tons of those on the TP, swords, random weapons and armor...

Did i get a bugged item and just salvaged it because whatever?

Doesn't make sense.

> @"Danikat.8537" said:

> These are extremely rare items which are only occasionally listed on the Trading Post. That means when someone gets one they have no current offers to give them an idea of what it's worth, and at least some people will assume rare = valuable and list it for the highest price they can pay the listing fee on.

>

> It's worth remembering however that just because someone has listed it at that price doesn't mean it's actually worth that much or that anyone will pay that much for it, everything you can see for sale on the TP is an item which hasn't yet sold, and in some cases might never sell at that price. You can see buy offers in your first and third screenshots, and they're all much, much lower. Some of the ones you found may have been sitting there for years (as far as I know there's no time limit on TP sales) because no one else thinks they're worth that much and so no one has bought them.

>

> As for why it's allowed it's because no one has to buy it at that price if they don't think it's worth it. They can place a buy order for what they are willing to pay, and since these are all anomalies rather than special items which are needed for collections or have special effects or whatever they can also just not buy them at all and not miss out on anything except owning a weird item.

How can a Yellow item be extremely rare? What's so special about it?

And i know no one's buying that, that's obvious, no one's that crazy. Not even the TP barons.

It's just weird to allow this on the TP idk...> @"Schimmi.6872" said:

> This expensive items with low rarity and without a special skin don't drop anymore, as far as I can remember many of them were fractal-drops before a rework a long time ago. As there is no new supply, there may be different reasons for the high sell prices:

> 1) some people like to collect strange things

> 2) some people just like to show-off

> 3) there were also rumors that some of this items were used to quickly transfer gold (e.g. by goldsellers)

> 4) some that like risky invests, might have bought some and hope for a buyer (from the above mentioned groups)

> 5) someone with an older account came back and didn't know how much he should ask for their old items

> There may be more reasons, but that was all that came to my mind atm.

1) Huh... Weird hobby but ok. How is the item strange though? Besides the obvious bow. Is it because they're called just "Axe", "Sword" and simmilar?

2) Indeed lol

3) I kinda believe that to be honest, no one has 10k gold to buy at sell price, especially for a Yellow item even if it is unique, except TP barrons idk...

4) Very risky if that's so... :lol:

5) Someone didn't know how much to charge for a Yellow axe so they put it up for 10k? Come on, i don't even have enough gold to pay the TP tax to even list for that much and someone just listed it and paid 500g because they didn't know how much it's worth?

And if those don't drop anymore, why aren't they removed? What's Anet's philosophy behind that? Curious.

> @"Trise.2865" said:

> ANet does not set price tags on the Trading Post. Just because something is _listed_ at 10k gp doesn't necessarily mean it's _worth_ 10k gp.

> Some people use the Trading Post as a sort-of "free" storage space, since fees are refunded if the unsold item is delisted.

its not refunded the fees are gone, your thinking about buy orders.

You can put in as many 100 gold Dawn buy orders as you like and if you cancel them all gold is returned to you.

> @"Trise.2865" said:

> ANet does not set price tags on the Trading Post. Just because something is _listed_ at 10k gp doesn't necessarily mean it's _worth_ 10k gp.

> Some people use the Trading Post as a sort-of "free" storage space, since fees are refunded if the unsold item is delisted.

Pricey storage lol, a WvW bag costs 7 gold for 20 spaces, you're telling me this person paid 500 gold for 1 storage space?

That 500 gold tax he paid to put that up is never going to get returned.

> @"knite.1542" said:

> It's "worth" 10k because of how rare it is. Having an item that you can list on the TP that no one else has a copy of can be very useful for moving gold around when making transactions. It isn't really something that the average player will have to worry about.

I know it's not "worth" that much, and blah blah something is worth as much as someone is willing to pay, blah, but theese items and prices on them are just so weird that i can't help but wonder what the logic or the puprpose here is.

> @"Veprovina.4876" said:

> > @"knite.1542" said:

> > It's "worth" 10k because of how rare it is. Having an item that you can list on the TP that no one else has a copy of can be very useful for moving gold around when making transactions. It isn't really something that the average player will have to worry about.

>

> I know it's not "worth" that much, and blah blah something is worth as much as someone is willing to pay, blah, but theese items and prices on them are just so weird that > i can't help but wonder what the logic or the puprpose here is.

There are many uses. You just have to think outside the box.

> > @"Trise.2865" said:

> > ANet does not set price tags on the Trading Post. Just because something is _listed_ at 10k gp doesn't necessarily mean it's _worth_ 10k gp.

> > Some people use the Trading Post as a sort-of "free" storage space, since fees are refunded if the unsold item is delisted.

>

> Pricey storage lol, a WvW bag costs 7 gold for 20 spaces, you're telling me this person paid 500 gold for 1 storage space?

> That 500 gold tax he paid to put that up is never going to get returned.

>

> > @"knite.1542" said:

> > It's "worth" 10k because of how rare it is. Having an item that you can list on the TP that no one else has a copy of can be very useful for moving gold around when making transactions. It isn't really something that the average player will have to worry about.

>

> I know it's not "worth" that much, and blah blah something is worth as much as someone is willing to pay, blah, but theese items and prices on them are just so weird that i can't help but wonder what the logic or the puprpose here is.

One way for its use is for a tp flipper with an alt account that may have 10k gold and not want to wait 19 weeks to get it out of their main accounts mail.

> @"Linken.6345" said:

> > @"Veprovina.4876" said:

> > > @"Trise.2865" said:

> > > ANet does not set price tags on the Trading Post. Just because something is _listed_ at 10k gp doesn't necessarily mean it's _worth_ 10k gp.

> > > Some people use the Trading Post as a sort-of "free" storage space, since fees are refunded if the unsold item is delisted.

> >

> > Pricey storage lol, a WvW bag costs 7 gold for 20 spaces, you're telling me this person paid 500 gold for 1 storage space?

> > That 500 gold tax he paid to put that up is never going to get returned.

> >

> > > @"knite.1542" said:

> > > It's "worth" 10k because of how rare it is. Having an item that you can list on the TP that no one else has a copy of can be very useful for moving gold around when making transactions. It isn't really something that the average player will have to worry about.

> >

> > I know it's not "worth" that much, and blah blah something is worth as much as someone is willing to pay, blah, but theese items and prices on them are just so weird that i can't help but wonder what the logic or the puprpose here is.

>

> One way for its use is for a tp flipper with an alt account that may have 10k gold and not want to wait 19 weeks to get it out of their main accounts mail.

> @"knite.1542" said:

>

> > > @"knite.1542" said:

> > > It's "worth" 10k because of how rare it is. Having an item that you can list on the TP that no one else has a copy of can be very useful for moving gold around when making transactions. It isn't really something that the average player will have to worry about.

> >

> > I know it's not "worth" that much, and blah blah something is worth as much as someone is willing to pay, blah, but theese items and prices on them are just so weird that > i can't help but wonder what the logic or the puprpose here is.

>

> There are many uses. You just have to think outside the box.

So those items are a TP baron thing then?

Is that how they circumvent the 10k sell price limit?

> > @"Linken.6345" said:

> > > @"Veprovina.4876" said:

> > > > @"Trise.2865" said:

> > > > ANet does not set price tags on the Trading Post. Just because something is _listed_ at 10k gp doesn't necessarily mean it's _worth_ 10k gp.

> > > > Some people use the Trading Post as a sort-of "free" storage space, since fees are refunded if the unsold item is delisted.

> > >

> > > Pricey storage lol, a WvW bag costs 7 gold for 20 spaces, you're telling me this person paid 500 gold for 1 storage space?

> > > That 500 gold tax he paid to put that up is never going to get returned.

> > >

> > > > @"knite.1542" said:

> > > > It's "worth" 10k because of how rare it is. Having an item that you can list on the TP that no one else has a copy of can be very useful for moving gold around when making transactions. It isn't really something that the average player will have to worry about.

> > >

> > > I know it's not "worth" that much, and blah blah something is worth as much as someone is willing to pay, blah, but theese items and prices on them are just so weird that i can't help but wonder what the logic or the puprpose here is.

> >

> > One way for its use is for a tp flipper with an alt account that may have 10k gold and not want to wait 19 weeks to get it out of their main accounts mail.

>

> > @"knite.1542" said:

> > > @"Veprovina.4876" said:

> >

> > > > @"knite.1542" said:

> > > > It's "worth" 10k because of how rare it is. Having an item that you can list on the TP that no one else has a copy of can be very useful for moving gold around when making transactions. It isn't really something that the average player will have to worry about.

> > >

> > > I know it's not "worth" that much, and blah blah something is worth as much as someone is willing to pay, blah, but theese items and prices on them are just so weird that > i can't help but wonder what the logic or the puprpose here is.

> >

> > There are many uses. You just have to think outside the box.

>

> So those items are a TP baron thing then?

> Is that how they circumvent the 10k sell price limit?

No but the 500g a week mail limit

> > This expensive items with low rarity and without a special skin don't drop anymore, as far as I can remember many of them were fractal-drops before a rework a long time ago. As there is no new supply, there may be different reasons for the high sell prices:

> > 1) some people like to collect strange things

> > 2) some people just like to show-off

> > 3) there were also rumors that some of this items were used to quickly transfer gold (e.g. by goldsellers)

> > 4) some that like risky invests, might have bought some and hope for a buyer (from the above mentioned groups)

> > 5) someone with an older account came back and didn't know how much he should ask for their old items

> > There may be more reasons, but that was all that came to my mind atm.

>

> 1) Huh... Weird hobby but ok. How is the item strange though? Besides the obvious bow. Is it because they're called just "Axe", "Sword" and simmilar?

> 2) Indeed lol

> 3) I kinda believe that to be honest, no one has 10k gold to buy at sell price, especially for a Yellow item even if it is unique, except TP barrons idk...

> 4) Very risky if that's so... :lol:

> 5) Someone didn't know how much to charge for a Yellow axe so they put it up for 10k? Come on, i don't even have enough gold to pay the TP tax to even list for that much and someone just listed it and paid 500g because they didn't know how much it's worth?

>

> And if those don't drop anymore, why aren't they removed? What's Anet's philosophy behind that? Curious.

1) Because they can't be obtained anymore and so they are kind of rare, some also have a bugged name and some people just have too much gold, they are just acting like some collectors in RL. If you look at the statistic-page of gw2efficiency you can see a part of all the different things people like to collect. Is hoarding e.g. broken spoons, unopened exo tequatl boxes or legendary spikes usefull, no, but still people like to do it.

4&5) My comment wasn't only targeted at the 10k items, there are also comparable unobtainable items for some hundreds of gold.

I guess the philosophy is, that they won't take things from people who legitimatly earned them and make them loose gold which was payed for the sell-order.

> > @"mercury ranique.2170" said:

> > It is worth 10000 gold cause that is the maximum something can be worth. You need the actual item to get it listed and you need to pay 500 gold to get it listed for 10000 gold.

> >

> > So we can know for sure that someone has the item and has payed 5% fee to get it listed for the price it is on the TP. It might be cause of a hack, but the GM's check the TP as well and have very likely researched it. I have no doubt that here is no foul play.

> >

> > As how it is possible that this item exists we can only speculate. It isn't officially in game, but it has an entry in the game database. It does not officiallt exist in the game as it isn't part of any loottable and is not sold or crafted by anyone. My speculation would be that a loottable got corrupt causing this item to drop. Nothing the player could have done against it so it is a legit bug.

>

> Yeah i know 10k is the max, i'm wondering why a Yellow item costs that much... And why someone would pay 500g to try to sell it lol.

> As for the bug thing, legit or not, shouldn't Anet remove it if they scour the TP for it, and replace the item with a non bugged one?

>

> Besides the bow, how does someone even know that it's a "rare" or bugged item, and costs much if it's a yellow. It's just a normal axe and there's tons of those on the TP, swords, random weapons and armor...

> Did i get a bugged item and just salvaged it because whatever?

> Doesn't make sense.

>

> > @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > These are extremely rare items which are only occasionally listed on the Trading Post. That means when someone gets one they have no current offers to give them an idea of what it's worth, and at least some people will assume rare = valuable and list it for the highest price they can pay the listing fee on.

> >

> > It's worth remembering however that just because someone has listed it at that price doesn't mean it's actually worth that much or that anyone will pay that much for it, everything you can see for sale on the TP is an item which hasn't yet sold, and in some cases might never sell at that price. You can see buy offers in your first and third screenshots, and they're all much, much lower. Some of the ones you found may have been sitting there for years (as far as I know there's no time limit on TP sales) because no one else thinks they're worth that much and so no one has bought them.

> >

> > As for why it's allowed it's because no one has to buy it at that price if they don't think it's worth it. They can place a buy order for what they are willing to pay, and since these are all anomalies rather than special items which are needed for collections or have special effects or whatever they can also just not buy them at all and not miss out on anything except owning a weird item.

>

> How can a Yellow item be extremely rare? What's so special about it?

>

> And i know no one's buying that, that's obvious, no one's that crazy. Not even the TP barons.

> It's just weird to allow this on the TP idk...

It's rare because they don't drop very often. I don't mean this in terms of game mechanics or intended design (although yellow items are called rare), I mean it in the general sense of the word rare - that there are not many of them around.

What's special about it is also that it doesn't drop very often so they're hard to get hold of. For most players that's irrelevant because there's nothing else special about them, but some players like having things just because they're rare even if they don't have a use for them, they collect oddities like this. One guy in another game I play specifically collects discontinued items - any time an update removes items from drop tables or changes item sets so some things aren't included he makes sure he has the ones which are removed.

> > @"Trise.2865" said:

> > ANet does not set price tags on the Trading Post. Just because something is _listed_ at 10k gp doesn't necessarily mean it's _worth_ 10k gp.

> > Some people use the Trading Post as a sort-of "free" storage space, since fees are refunded if the unsold item is delisted.

>

> Pricey storage lol, a WvW bag costs 7 gold for 20 spaces, you're telling me this person paid 500 gold for 1 storage space?

> That 500 gold tax he paid to put that up is never going to get returned.

>

> > @"knite.1542" said:

>

> I know it's not "worth" that much, and blah blah something is worth as much as someone is willing to pay, blah, but theese items and prices on them are just so weird that i can't help but wonder what the logic or the puprpose here is.

It's not actually that unusual for items to be listed for way above what they're worth, or buy orders way below what they're worth, but the TP is only set up to show the lowest sell orders and highest buy orders so you need to find an item with very few listings to see the extremes. I would bet real money almost every precursor weapons has at least one listing at 10,000g and every single completed legendary has at least a few buy orders at 2 copper. Neither is likely to ever go through but since there's no limit to how many listings you can have on the TP or how long they can stay there some people will be willing to take that chance. (I think sell orders will be less common because of the fee, but there will still be players willing to gamble 500g on the chance to earn 10,000g one day.)

I see this a lot in Elder Scrolls Online because (as a work-around for their old fashioned trade system) I use an addon which lets you see prices other players are listing items at, like the TP does. It displays the minimum, average and maximum listed price and it's very common for even normal and widely available items to get results like:

Minimum: 50g

Average 200g

Maximum: 50,000g

Recommended: 150-300g

Which means most people list it for around 200g, so that's what it's currently worth. Some people want a quick sale (or have no idea what it's worth because getting price info in that game is overly complicated) and list it cheap to guarantee a sale and one ~~idiot~~ optimist is hoping either something will suddenly cause the price to shift or the supply to vanish and his absurdly expensive copy will suddenly become the only one available. (Or that someone very gullible will find his listing and assume it must be worth that much because it's being sold for that much and buy it hoping to sell it on for more or figure out what makes it special afterwards.)

> @"Iskander.6309" said:

> I heard/read somewhere it could be something like money laundering/transferring.

> These items are obviously not worth 10 k but since they are rare enough to not be undercut really fast they put them up to transfer gold "legally".

They can be used for that, but ones which are would not be up for very long. The person 'selling' the item in that case is actually the customer - they're buying gold so it's in the 'buyers' interest to make sure the transaction goes through as quickly as possible so their customer doesn't get angry or suspicious. They will likely have agreed a time in advance so the item will be listed and sell very quickly.

Unless of course the entire thing is a scam and the gold seller takes the customers money then never hands over the gold. Which is always possible when you're dealing with someone who is already breaking the law. (Although I've heard a more common tactic is to genuinely sell gold so they build up a good reputation, but make customers sign up to a website to buy and then if they stop buying regularly use those details to steal their GW2 account and strip it for gold to sell to other customers.)

As someone previously mentioned, my guess is it's a way of transferring gold quickly to an alt account.

1. Main sends item to alt.

2. Alt lists on TP.

3. Main buys item.

4. Alt collects gold.

I used to use this method in SWOTOR to get creds fast to alts (on the same account, but mailing creds directly is impossible if not subbed).

> @"Jellybean.3475" said:

> As someone previously mentioned, my guess is it's a way of transferring gold quickly to an alt account.

>

> 1. Main sends item to alt.

> 2. Alt lists on TP.

> 3. Main buys item.

> 4. Alt collects gold.

>

> I used to use this method in SWOTOR to get creds fast to alts (on the same account, but mailing creds directly is impossible if not subbed).

>

I guess that makes sense. Quicker way than using just mail with 100g at a time.

Except the "alt lists on TP" part, the alt still needs 500g to even list for that much lol. But the main could send them 500g through several mails, that would be infinitely easier than just sending 10k through mail lol.

> > @"Jellybean.3475" said:

> > As someone previously mentioned, my guess is it's a way of transferring gold quickly to an alt account.

> >

> > 1. Main sends item to alt.

> > 2. Alt lists on TP.

> > 3. Main buys item.

> > 4. Alt collects gold.

> >

> > I used to use this method in SWOTOR to get creds fast to alts (on the same account, but mailing creds directly is impossible if not subbed).

> >

>

> I guess that makes sense. Quicker way than using just mail with 100g at a time.

> Except the "alt lists on TP" part, the alt still needs 500g to even list for that much lol. But the main could send them 500g through several mails, that would be infinitely easier than just sending 10k through mail lol.

its 500gold a week through mail or guild bank and only need 1 mail.

You can even send over 500, like for example 2000 on 1 mail but can only take it out 500 each week.

> @"Linken.6345" said:

> > > @"Jellybean.3475" said:

> > > As someone previously mentioned, my guess is it's a way of transferring gold quickly to an alt account.

> > >

> > > 1. Main sends item to alt.

> > > 2. Alt lists on TP.

> > > 3. Main buys item.

> > > 4. Alt collects gold.

> > >

> > > I used to use this method in SWOTOR to get creds fast to alts (on the same account, but mailing creds directly is impossible if not subbed).

> > >

> >

> > I guess that makes sense. Quicker way than using just mail with 100g at a time.

> > Except the "alt lists on TP" part, the alt still needs 500g to even list for that much lol. But the main could send them 500g through several mails, that would be infinitely easier than just sending 10k through mail lol.

>

> its 500gold a week through mail or guild bank and only need 1 mail.

>

> You can even send over 500, like for example 2000 on 1 mail but can only take it out 500 each week.

Ah, i thought it's 100g per mail. Thanks for the correction.

That makes it more worse if you want to transfer 10k to an alt account lol.