Wintersday live and dead content...

lummuss.6850

Every time I see this sort of complaint about a holiday event (any holiday, in any MMO), I have to wonder what people don't get about annual content.

It's not supposed to be ground-breaking every year. Especially for older MMOs. Hit up the new stuff or ignore it and continue on with the usual RIBA/raid/PvP/WvW/etc content.

The different content is fun. But I am only doing it for the achievements since I have lots of other stuff to to that needs my time. (Annuals finished and now only the daily and some Toypocalypse for the AP from permanent achievements.)

What I dislike is that some stuff is at the vendor very expensive ... and at the same time (from drops) super cheap at the TP. (Same problem for other festivals. People not careful might buy it tooo expensive. Stuff that costs 20 snow diamonds for less than 1g at the TP you can buy it directly. For a few minis I think.)

Also the voucher are more expensive compared to certain other festivals. (SAB and festival of the four winds ... they were cheapest there. Considering that the currency was obtained easy without too much grinding.) But I can just ignore it. Doing the dailies only. Then doing other stuff.

Main concern is that the Toypocalypse is pretty long and boring. And if you want all the AP you have to do it a lot of times. (But the halloween has similar boring and lengthy achievements you can repeat 5 times for AP.) Infiniarium is boring as well ... and I also did not really like the strike mission - even though the first public group I joined managed to complete it. (Seems more people know the mechanics now.)

The fun stuff is bell choir, snowball mayhem and the jumping puzzle. Nothing is "dead" there. Lots of people do it. (Karma achievement you can repeat 3 times might also help to get more people to do this stuff.)

Edit: Festival of the four winds probably is the best festival since it does have a lot of different stuff and almost everything is fun. And does not feel too grindy. Can't understand why people like the Toypocalypse. :D (The biggest problem is that it is boring and long. If it were "fun" ... but someone mentioned it already: At the end you just have tons of stuff placed on the map and wait. This is way too long. If it took 1 third of the time it takes now ... to get to the end. Would be better.)

> @"lummuss.6850" said:

> Wintersday is alive, but the festival's content is dead.

I have two accounts, one NA and one EU. Even today, I've seen people in everything I've done.

So the content isn't dead. Just because it doesn't suit you doesn't mean it's bad or dead content. For example, I've run the hardest path of the JP (gingerbread)three times daily per account. And saw dozens of people in both the scoreboard and that path alone. Only time I ever had to sit and wait for folks was Snowball Mayhem, but that's likely because no AP is tied to it (something ANet should fix, despite there beiing an - oversized imo - repeatable achievement to it).

Of course, like every festival, the first day is by far the busiest as people rush to get that annual achievement done ASAP for some reason rather than taking their time.

> @"Luthan.5236" said:

> Main concern is that the Toypocalypse is pretty long and boring. And if you want all the AP you have to do it a lot of times. (But the halloween has similar boring and lengthy achievements you can repeat 5 times for AP.) Infiniarium is boring as well ... and I also did not really like the strike mission - even though the first public group I joined managed to complete it. (Seems more people know the mechanics now.)

Another example where what is long and boring to one player is fun for another player. There is no one activity that every player is going to love. Having content that means there is something for most players is, I think, the best target that a game company can shoot for.

I agree with various posters here that the snow diamond cost for items is expensive. I was disappointed to find that the weekly trader does not offer clovers this year. I recall that the weekly trader did so last year.

Well, I respect other opinions than mine. But I believe that every festival should meet the needs and the pleasure of as many players as possible. Festivals have always been the best things I enjoy on GW2, so much so that when a festival approaches being active in the game, I start to get anxious and create a lot of expectations to play it.

I was hoping that something new would arrive this year of 2020 at the winter festival, because last year I suffered just as I am suffering now (I am disappointed).

But still I say that the festival is very difficult, if you analyze it well, the exclusive items of the festival like the miniature of the icy heart, or the winter sweatshirt are very expensive. And the purchase of snowflakes is very poor and slow compared to other festivals. The luck is that I still have more than 4 million karma in the account and with that I still manage to buy many winter gifts daily, but still the snowflakes do not fall in large quantities.

Winter shirt = 15,000 snowflakes

Mini frenzie's heart = 15,000 snowflakes

It's complicated....

But I would also like to share with you that I gave more chances for the winter jump puzzle and after failing countless times I already managed to complete it 3 times in medium difficulty. It’s very frustrating and exhausting ...

I'm getting an average of 150 winter gifts a day. And I'm not selling them on TP, I'm opening them all in the hope of dropping a super expensive item and being able to smile and forget all the anger I'm feeling because of this festival. The daily achievements I already gave up, I still find them confusing ...

For me the big problem with festivals is how recycled they are and while thats good in a way they still treat them as content updates on part with new content like lw, raids, fractals, strikes etc.

They just have them be there with minimal to no new additions (festivals getting new content is the exception not the rule) yet thats all the game will be getting 6 times a year. They have replayability and thats all really they got going for them (gold beats any other incentive for replaybility and they give it in spades).

It was really cool the first time it dropped but x yeads later is just padding.

> @"lummuss.6850" said:

> I'm getting an average of 150 winter gifts a day. And I'm not selling them on TP, I'm opening them all in the hope of dropping a super expensive item and being able to smile and forget all the anger I'm feeling because of this festival. The daily achievements I already gave up, I still find them confusing ...

Are you doing the freezie 10 man strike 3 times for 30 presents each time?

> @"lummuss.6850" said:

> Well, I respect other opinions than mine. But I believe that every festival should meet the needs and the pleasure of as many players as possible. Festivals have always been the best things I enjoy on GW2, so much so that when a festival approaches being active in the game, I start to get anxious and create a lot of expectations to play it.

I think that going into anything with expectations is setting oneself up for disappointment. That's really pessimistic of me, but that's the way I see it. Also, if you're getting anxious because of your expectations, then this is no longer a game, it's almost a chore. If you need help with something, I wouldn't mind helping, but you should know I have a really awful sense of direction. XD

> @"Hesione.9412" said:

> > @"Luthan.5236" said:

> > Main concern is that the Toypocalypse is pretty long and boring. And if you want all the AP you have to do it a lot of times. (But the halloween has similar boring and lengthy achievements you can repeat 5 times for AP.) Infiniarium is boring as well ... and I also did not really like the strike mission - even though the first public group I joined managed to complete it. (Seems more people know the mechanics now.)

>

> Another example where what is long and boring to one player is fun for another player. There is no one activity that every player is going to love. Having content that means there is something for most players is, I think, the best target that a game company can shoot for.

Yeah. That would be the best. Worked perfectly in Festival of the Four Winds I guess. I guess for Toypocalypse the amount of people that still do it even after finishing the achievements ... is pretty low. Cause of the length. Making it shorter (as others that liked it also suggested) could make it more accessible to people that get bored too fast by doing the same stuff over and over again. (Cause then you have less time to spend on it and can quicklier rotate to other activities to keep yourself motivated.)

Making it somewhat challenging could also be an option. Instead of long and grindy with no challenge ... short and harder (and more fun for people that do not think grind is fun). Of course this should reflect in the achievements. Maybe an easy but grindy mode. And a hard but shorter mode ... and both would count towards the achievement. (Which for me ... won't be much important cause I am going to finish the existing achievement now. By doing the Toypocalypse once each day. Which is a pain already. But doable somewhat.)

Halloween had the carving repeatable and the door opener from the labyrinth that felt a bit grindy to me.. (Which a lot that like to farm ... might have completed easily by just farming in the labyrinth.)

---

Edit: Stuff getting "recycled" each year ... is a good idea actually. At some tim they will have to reach a point where the festivals are "finished" (regarding development) - can't always make new stuff. It would be too much for new players. But also existing player would have a harder time to decide which content they should spend their time on.

My guess is that they only are bringing a few more new skins. Then soon in a few years it will be finished. Maybe another new festival for Cantha. But that's it. You still have tons of other content in the game. Makes it easier to do the dailies for the festival and then playing some other stuff. If the festival were "too much" you'd be too busy with only playing the festival (not progressing on other content which makes it hard for new players if every few months a new festival keeps them busy if they want to get the most out of it).

So this is also some kind of balance. Just cause some people want new stuff every time ... does not mean the can just mass produce it and throw it at them. They need to think of the overall playerbase.

Take me, for example. I suck badly, I mean badly, at the Xmas JP. This year, I was determined to start working on the AP for that. Also to note here: because of arthritis and surgery on my left hand, I use a footboard to jump, and I'm always wearing a brace on that hand - left hand, I'm right-handed for games.

It took me a while, and swears, but I finally got the hang of quaggan mode. The most frustrating bit was managing the JP to the presents, and then repeatedly failing at the presents. And then going back to the start. After doing quaggan about 14 times, one of my guildies suggested I do the hardest version. With 250 ping, the disappearing platforms cause me a lot of problems. So I started on mid and have knocked that one out twice.

It has taken me from the start of the game to do this - most years I ignored the thing because I never thought I would finish it. Now I can do it to mid-difficulty, it is something I will repeat even after getting the AP. BUT: if I hadn't managed to get to the presents in my first five goes, I would likely have quit trying again.

So there are some of us longer-term players who haven't managed all the content yet.

• 2 weeks later...