April Fools

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Klipso.8653" said:

> > @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > It wasn't just the plane crash that had people complaining about April Fools jokes.

> >

> > People also complained about both the plane arms and the bobble heads because they hated their character/screen looking weird, even for one day and apparently a lot refused to log in at all, or logged in and immediately left again. A lot of people came to the forum to complain and some reported it as a bug (either genuinely thinking it was a bug or to make a point).

> >

> > I wonder if it would be better if they did it like in GW1 where it only affected towns and outposts - make it something that only happens in cities so if you want to get away from it you can and it's not messing things up in combat.

> >

> > Or mail everyone an item with a long duration/multiple uses so they can choose to apply the effect or not. Maybe it wouldn't have the same impact as just logging in and finding it's happened, but it would give those who really can't stand the change a way to avoid it.

>

> I hated the forced airplane change to my character. Especially since you couldn't turn it off, the most you could do was disable a specific shader that removed the yellow tint on screen.

> I logged off and didn't play that day.

See; that is a legitimate complaint as was the Sepia (filmgrain) filter giving people headaches. I would agree that a 'timeout' or non-participation 'switch' would or rather would have been a great addition.

What I found disgusting that players were tying it in with a real world disaster as if Anet had gone out of their way to mock the families of those that died when as we can see from the datamining that it's often set up weeks or months in advance, at least in part. It made characters do an airplane, wear the aviator hat and run around going 'Nrrrrmm, rrrrrrrrreaow!". Not connected to a real-world, commerical aircraft in any way. Reminiscent of the era of the biplane or pip-pip-cheerio, wartime aviators.

> @"costepj.5120" said:

> IIRC you could turn off the airplane effect by simply relogging the character. Or not interacting with the aviator box in the first place.

That only works with the toy/gizmo (interacting with the box again also resets it). On April Fools it was applied worldwide and there was no 'off' button.

> @"flog.3485" said:

> I think it is finally time they released that commando class that they promised us back in the day :grin:

That was definitely the best April Fools joke they've done. Well, that and SAB.

But I can't imagine what would happen if they actually released it, even for a day. Although it might tempt me to try PvP for once, just to see the chaos.

> @"RoseofGilead.8907" said:

> I wish we could have the actual in-game pranks again, but that probably won't happen again. Makes me sad.

To quote my Spellbreaker, "Not now! **NOT EVER!**" :rage:

As a primarily WvW player, I've had my fill of Anets idea of _in-game_ pranks over the last 5+ years. Continuing the On-Paper-ONLY April Fools is the way to go! :+1: (And this carries the plus of -- no development time needed! :smile:)

There were people that cannot take a joke; even for 24 hours. Of those, there were some intentionally finding every reason they could use to get rid of it which included using the tragic event. People have been finding more and more things which offend them over the last few years so I don’t find it surprising that all we get are fake patch notes and SAB.

> @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> There were people that cannot take a joke; even for 24 hours. Of those, there were some intentionally finding every reason they could use to get rid of it which included using the tragic event. People have been finding more and more things which offend them over the last few years so I don’t find it surprising that all we get are fake patch notes and SAB.

I fear that fake patch notes will also make people offended so Anet will have to stop with them too. I so hope I'm wrong though.

> @"Ardenwolfe.8590" said:

> > @"Ayumi Spender.1082" said:

> > Mind telling me some of the things they did?

>

> The April Fool event for 2015 involved the aviator joke. This is where everything turned brownish on screen, and your character would run around with their arms extended and make airplane sounds.

>

> Source: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/April_Fools%27_Day_2015

>

> Unfortunately, a few days prior, someone hijacked a commercial airliner and it crashed. I'll not get into the morbid details, but some felt the joke was in poor taste given the recent tragedy. Of course, this was totally beyond ANet's control, but people got upset about it regardless because . . . well . . . people. It got so bad that ANet even issued an apology.

>

> And ever since then, the April Fool events have been absent as far as in-game.

>

>

>

>

>

>

yup and anet even gets any way shape or close to that again this year well the backlash will be much more harder than the last time !!

between the bobblehead and the airplane . it was noting but more problems add to the game with out a way to disable them unless you just did not play the game at all till the day was over into the next day !! and yes many people came to the forums even some that do not log into the forums even posted about it .

so let us all hope anet learned the hard way and not make that same mistakes again . the game and company needs the player base with out them their is no more game :# :#

My suggestion for April Fools day: For one day only, Raid instances can be done with WvW Zergs. 50player squads, siege weaponry and all loot is replaced with WvW loot, i.e. two greens and a bent lockpick. Having said that, I was disappointed when there wasn't anything last year. The previous years were fun, although I have to admit, that the airplane thing was very anoying and since we couldn't disable it I did my dailies that day and then logged off.

It's something special that I look forward to, so I hope ANet will do something beyond silly patchnotes this year.

> @"Zohane.7208" said:

> > @"Ayumi Spender.1082" said:

> > > @"Zohane.7208" said:

> > > Sadly it's unlikely to happen. A couple of years ago there was a huge backlash at an April Fool's (imo totally unwarranted but that's beside the point), and since then I don't think Anet will subject themselves to that level of hate.

> >

> > Mind telling me some of the things they did?

>

> The ones I remember were bobblehead and airplane. For bobblehead everyone, or at least all NPCs had huge heads, looked hilarious. For airplane everyone ran around with arms rigidly stretched out and made airplane sounds. Screen was also turned to sepia so it looked like an old old movie. Unfortunately this happened same year as a pilot had willingly piloted his Commercial Aircraft into a mountain as a suicide, so then there were lots of people accusing Anet of being insensitive etcetera.

>

> Back in the GW(1) days there were always something happening in the towns and outposts. Things I recall are when all players were converted to stick figures and when people and minis traded size so all players were mini and minis were huge.

>

I... yeah.

The 1st time I picked the bobblehead from someone that dropped it I didn't know what I was doing and "chug" the whole thing.

Was before my very 1st Dragon's Stand completion and took a while to figure out Diarmid was not supposed to look like that.

After a while I seriously wanted it off as I just don't like the look as it just looked too stupid for me.

The airplane the moment I picked it up by accident that someone had on the ground I was having a tiny episode on wondering what was wrong with my game and how to take the thing off. I was doing all I can and could not find out how to take it off. Thankfully, I do now so if I ever get too close to one of those aviating things I will never try to open it again unless I once again accidentally do.

A whole day of dealing with that wherever I go... honestly I wouldn't whine and moan and complain to Arenanet but... I think I would skip out on playing that day.

I have very low tolerance on things that just "don't make sense" or things on "silly for the sake of being silly".

> @"FrizzFreston.5290" said:

> The best april fool jokes take you by surprise. When we're going to ask for April fool jokes they become less effective.

I have to agree... so please don't read what I'm writing next, is for ANet only XD.

>! For that day every enemy is transmuted into Braham, so we can kill him the whole day!!

I personally miss it and I think the failure in the jokes was that they lasted a whole day. It should be something shocking but brief, if people have to live 24 hours with it, ends up getting tired, raging, resigned, etc.

My advice if they do it, is that it'll be short and fun, something that you forget soon or remember because it was so fun but it does not become eternal if it persists, or semi like if it's gone if you logoff and login or change of character, in any case, some souvenir as present that you can keep. They could even create the collection of April's fool lol... Although I'm not sure if the collection is such a good idea ;P I would like you to have fun again with the April's fool day in the game.

The forum has taught me that there's nothing Anet can do about anything without people getting offended about it.

Free virtual ice cream in Lion's Arch? How dare you! My character is lactose intolerant.

That said, a letter from an NPC setting us on some sort of bizarre mission or scavenger hunt might be fun. It would be optional. It would be a little something silly. People would still complain like crazy--"This was stupid, you wasted my time." "You used resources on THAT when you should be busy nerfing druids everywhere??" "OMG, I had to delete a letter with sentimental value to receive your announcement" "Why do we have to do a mission for Laranthir? I hate Laranthir's botanical guts."-- but maybe not so many of them.

> @"Cragga the Eighty Third.6015" said:

> The forum has taught me that there's nothing Anet can do about anything without people getting offended about it.

> Free virtual ice cream in Lion's Arch? How dare you! My character is lactose intolerant.

>

> That said, a letter from an NPC setting us on some sort of bizarre mission or scavenger hunt might be fun. It would be optional. It would be a little something silly. People would still complain like crazy--"This was stupid, you wasted my time." "You used resources on THAT when you should be busy nerfing druids everywhere??" "OMG, I had to delete a letter with sentimental value to receive your announcement" "Why do we have to do a mission for Laranthir? I hate Laranthir's botanical guts."-- but maybe not so many of them.

Right? "Great community" indeed. :)

> @"Haleydawn.3764" said:

> > @"FrizzFreston.5290" said:

> > The best april fool jokes take you by surprise. When we're going to ask for April fool jokes they become less effective.

>

> This is a request that Anet do *something* in game, rather than nothing and joke patch notes.

> Not a request of something specific.

Regardless, it's like asking to be pranked.