make the classes fun

jihm.2315

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Tails.9372" said:

> The game would be more fun if the balancing was better. Some classes / builds do like 0 damage vs. everything that isn't a downscaled early game trash mob despite being your typical glass cannon in every other aspect.

I would be interested in seeing a glass cannon build that performs as you describe. Would you be willing to post please?

> @"Ashen.2907" said:

> I would be interested in seeing a glass cannon build that performs as you describe. Would you be willing to post please?

P/P thief, it does on average ~half (a quarter or less if the enemy has high def or is immune to crits) of what the average damage oriented build is capable of doing while also having low HP and virtually no support / AoE capabilities (anymore).

> @"Tails.9372" said:

> > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > I would be interested in seeing a glass cannon build that performs as you describe. Would you be willing to post please?

> P/P thief, it does on average ~half (a quarter or less if the enemy has high def or is immune to crits) of what the average damage oriented build is capable of doing while also having low HP and virtually no support / AoE capabilities (anymore).

Yeah, I enjoyed P/P back when the ricochet trait existed. Much more fun than now. But I have also played it more recently when nostalgia nudged me into logging into my thief, and its performance did not match your previous description. Did it underperform compared to other options? Yes. But that is a long way from what you previously described.

> @"juhani.5361" said:

> Combat is one of the best parts of this game :) I've never been a fan of channeled skills in any game, so GW2 has been refreshing for me. I can't see how adding channeled abilities to any class would make the game more fun. If anything, you'd end up a sitting duck in pretty much every combat situation.

Action combat games seem to have come up with a great change for channeled skills. Guardian whirling blades, warrior thousand blades, ESO templar jabs are all good examples of a channeled ability that doesn't seem so. You are locked into an animation with a damage over time aspect, but no cast/channel bar. I am a fan of the direction.

> @"Klowdy.3126" said:

> > @"juhani.5361" said:

> > Combat is one of the best parts of this game :) I've never been a fan of channeled skills in any game, so GW2 has been refreshing for me. I can't see how adding channeled abilities to any class would make the game more fun. If anything, you'd end up a sitting duck in pretty much every combat situation.

>

> Action combat games seem to have come up with a great change for channeled skills. Guardian whirling blades, warrior thousand blades, ESO templar jabs are all good examples of a channeled ability that doesn't seem so. You are locked into an animation with a damage over time aspect, but no cast/channel bar. I am a fan of the direction.

There is a cast bar, it just looks different.

![](https://i.imgur.com/M8wuyVb.jpg "")

I think an interesting feature in the game that is underutilized that could be used more is the "held" channeled skills. The only one I can think of is Guardian's Staff Skill, Empower, where you hold the key to keep channeling it and releasing the key stops the channel. Had more skills used this type of activation, perhaps we could make these channels more powerful and lengthen the channel to make them more punishing if not interrupted but still get at least part of the effect if you are. Like if Churning Earth got its effect after a short channel but if held longer and longer before releasing, the effect would get a wider range and affect more foes.

EDIT: I stand corrected. Empower activates just like any normal channel. Not sure if it's always been that way or if I was remembering it how it once was...regardless, I think it could be an interesting feature for many of the channeled skills to have varying strength depending on how long one wishes to channel it.

> @"Leo G.4501" said:

> > @"Klowdy.3126" said:

> > > @"juhani.5361" said:

> > > Combat is one of the best parts of this game :) I've never been a fan of channeled skills in any game, so GW2 has been refreshing for me. I can't see how adding channeled abilities to any class would make the game more fun. If anything, you'd end up a sitting duck in pretty much every combat situation.

> >

> > Action combat games seem to have come up with a great change for channeled skills. Guardian whirling blades, warrior thousand blades, ESO templar jabs are all good examples of a channeled ability that doesn't seem so. You are locked into an animation with a damage over time aspect, but no cast/channel bar. I am a fan of the direction.

>

> There is a cast bar, it just looks different.

>

> ![](https://i.imgur.com/M8wuyVb.jpg "")

>

> I think an interesting feature in the game that is underutilized that could be used more is the "held" channeled skills. The only one I can think of is Guardian's Staff Skill, Empower, where you hold the key to keep channeling it and releasing the key stops the channel. Had more skills used this type of activation, perhaps we could make these channels more powerful and lengthen the channel to make them more punishing if not interrupted but still get at least part of the effect if you are. Like if Churning Earth got its effect after a short channel but if held longer and longer before releasing, the effect would get a wider range and affect more foes.

>

> EDIT: I stand corrected. Empower activates just like any normal channel. Not sure if it's always been that way or if I was remembering it how it once was...regardless, I think it could be an interesting feature for many of the channeled skills to have varying strength depending on how long one wishes to channel it.

ESO heavy attacks work like that. I guess I never played attention to the channelled bar, lol.

> @"Leo G.4501" said:

> > @"jihm.2315" said:

> > thank you to those that said to me to change game it was a cruel but correct advice time for some old school mmo keep gw2 as it is arena net its perfect :D

>

> Well what did you end up doing? What are you playing?

dont wanna talk about another game brand in gw2 forums but between the classic and the new gameplay ill always pick classic

gw2 is a huge change of direction from older games hope gw3 finds a middle ground

Anyone who thinks skills are too fast has never used a mantra build ...

> @"Klowdy.3126" said:

> > @"juhani.5361" said:

> > Combat is one of the best parts of this game :) I've never been a fan of channeled skills in any game, so GW2 has been refreshing for me. I can't see how adding channeled abilities to any class would make the game more fun. If anything, you'd end up a sitting duck in pretty much every combat situation.

>

> Action combat games seem to have come up with a great change for channeled skills. Guardian whirling blades, warrior thousand blades, ESO templar jabs are all good examples of a channeled ability that doesn't seem so. You are locked into an animation with a damage over time aspect, but no cast/channel bar. I am a fan of the direction.

Eh? Hundred Blades roots you. That seems like a very poor example but there are plenty of other examples ... Whirling Axe, Volley, Drake's Breath, Cone of Cold, Ether Renewal, all tempest overloads as previously mentioned.

> @"jihm.2315" said:

> dont wanna talk about another game brand in gw2 forums but between the classic and the new gameplay ill always pick classic

> gw2 is a huge change of direction from older games hope gw3 finds a middle ground

Not sure what would define middle ground. Most seem content with GW2 as it is. Pretty comfortable in assuming that GW3 (if ever released) will continue in the same vein as the current iteration with perhaps some other advancements on the back-end (new code?).

/me shrugs

> @"jihm.2315" said:

> at the time almost no class is fun the game is too fast everything is instant cast theres no cast bars an nothing gives the flavor that you play a particular role in an mmorpg.

>

> support even though its kind of useful it passes unnoticed and people just qq about your dps at the end even though you might saved them countless times.

>

> the only actual fun i see comes from boss mechanics and not the classes but classes have to be fun first before anything else ,thanks for reading if you did.

Completely agree

> @"jihm.2315" said:

> > @"Leo G.4501" said:

> > > @"jihm.2315" said:

> > > thank you to those that said to me to change game it was a cruel but correct advice time for some old school mmo keep gw2 as it is arena net its perfect :D

> >

> > Well what did you end up doing? What are you playing?

>

> dont wanna talk about another game brand in gw2 forums but between the classic and the new gameplay ill always pick classic

> gw2 is a huge change of direction from older games hope gw3 finds a middle ground

I don't think there's anything wrong with naming another game. I'm just curious as I might try out the game when I get back to my PC and a steady internet connection. As of lately, I've only got 3 MMOs that I will rotate (Tera, Blade and Soul and GW2...would add FFXIV but since it requires a sub, I just gave up on it as I've fallen behind). I was actually going to go back to turn-based games like Pokemon or Fire Emblem once I got back but I've got a bit of an itch for some combat/exploration with some spice of variety so leaning away from GW2 since I've been playing it for the past year.

...I might just lay down some cash for a Switch...I dunno, I'm not sure what I'll do when I get home lol

EDIT: Does anyone remember a game called Atlantica Online? It was like a semi-turn-based/locked battle field chess RPG (I have no idea if there is a named genre that actually describes it) that used sets of units and your main character on a formation board and you took turns attacking. Was always curious if there was a newer game that existed with a similar combat system...I guess XCOM or Atlas Reactor is similar.

> @"Ardid.7203" said:

> Yes please, continue leaving the old boring stuff behind. GW2 is the first MMORPG I feel true interest in keep playing, if there s a GW3, I hope it continues this trend instead of going back to what I was practically escaping from.

The thing about fads is they are hard to predict. What can be thought of as "leaving behind the old" can be seen as stagnating and sticking to the safe path. As much as hardcore gamers dislike Nintendo, for example, they are extremely knowledgeable on striking a balance with pushing the envelope of innovating, playing the safe path and supporting the "old boring stuff".

In all honesty. Thief is probably the most FUN per se class. Keeps you on your toes. Daredevil in fractals and pvp and dungeons. Being bored in it kinda confused. Also other classes are engi,ele etc.

This may be a disappointment to you. But if you think classes in here are boring any other mmo for you will be hard to find. Cause In other mmos combat is pretty slow compared to gw2. Not sure about bdo. But ffxiv. Wow. And eso. The combat just isn’t close to the fluidity with gw2. Now they have more skills don’t get me wrong but dodging aoe and all that it’s gw2 hands down.

I agree with someone who already said this. You just need a break. Take a shooter game for a little bit then come back. Sometimes I get bored when I do a major gold grind. Just hit the daily and leave for a little bit. Find a new goal and do that when your come back. But as far as classes being boring not close.

> @"Leo G.4501" said:

> > @"jihm.2315" said:

> > > @"Leo G.4501" said:

> > > > @"jihm.2315" said:

> > > > thank you to those that said to me to change game it was a cruel but correct advice time for some old school mmo keep gw2 as it is arena net its perfect :D

> > >

> > > Well what did you end up doing? What are you playing?

> >

> > dont wanna talk about another game brand in gw2 forums but between the classic and the new gameplay ill always pick classic

> > gw2 is a huge change of direction from older games hope gw3 finds a middle ground

>

> I don't think there's anything wrong with naming another game. I'm just curious as I might try out the game when I get back to my PC and a steady internet connection. As of lately, I've only got 3 MMOs that I will rotate (Tera, Blade and Soul and GW2...would add FFXIV but since it requires a sub, I just gave up on it as I've fallen behind). I was actually going to go back to turn-based games like Pokemon or Fire Emblem once I got back but I've got a bit of an itch for some combat/exploration with some spice of variety so leaning away from GW2 since I've been playing it for the past year.

>

> ...I might just lay down some cash for a Switch...I dunno, I'm not sure what I'll do when I get home lol

>

> EDIT: Does anyone remember a game called Atlantica Online? It was like a semi-turn-based/locked battle field chess RPG (I have no idea if there is a named genre that actually describes it) that used sets of units and your main character on a formation board and you took turns attacking. Was always curious if there was a newer game that existed with a similar combat system...I guess XCOM or Atlas Reactor is similar.

There is Dofus and Wakfu(by the same dev and in the same universe IIRC) if you mean some sort of online tactical rpg. You don't control units. Each person just controls their own character although at least one of the class has minions.

Art style is "cute but deadly". If there is ever such a voting category it would probably take first place for "game where you are most likely to be murdered by a cute animal".

> @"Leo G.4501" said:

> > @"jihm.2315" said:

> > > @"Leo G.4501" said:

> > > > @"jihm.2315" said:

> > > > thank you to those that said to me to change game it was a cruel but correct advice time for some old school mmo keep gw2 as it is arena net its perfect :D

> > >

> > > Well what did you end up doing? What are you playing?

> >

> > dont wanna talk about another game brand in gw2 forums but between the classic and the new gameplay ill always pick classic

> > gw2 is a huge change of direction from older games hope gw3 finds a middle ground

>

> I don't think there's anything wrong with naming another game. I'm just curious as I might try out the game when I get back to my PC and a steady internet connection. As of lately, I've only got 3 MMOs that I will rotate (Tera, Blade and Soul and GW2...would add FFXIV but since it requires a sub, I just gave up on it as I've fallen behind). I was actually going to go back to turn-based games like Pokemon or Fire Emblem once I got back but I've got a bit of an itch for some combat/exploration with some spice of variety so leaning away from GW2 since I've been playing it for the past year.

>

> ...I might just lay down some cash for a Switch...I dunno, I'm not sure what I'll do when I get home lol

>

> EDIT: Does anyone remember a game called Atlantica Online? It was like a semi-turn-based/locked battle field chess RPG (I have no idea if there is a named genre that actually describes it) that used sets of units and your main character on a formation board and you took turns attacking. Was always curious if there was a newer game that existed with a similar combat system...I guess XCOM or Atlas Reactor is similar.

its not new game its lineage 2 classic you probably will find it tedious and grindy at least most will but between the two combat styles i like that one better and also every class is unique

> @"kharmin.7683" said:

> > @"jihm.2315" said:

>

>

> Not sure what would define middle ground. Most seem content with GW2 as it is. Pretty comfortable in assuming that GW3 (if ever released) will continue in the same vein as the current iteration with perhaps some other advancements on the back-end (new code?).

>

> /me shrugs

sorry im not gonna feel comfortable with this platform simulator game its so ps1 crash bandicoot style,

i just wanted the real mmorpg back so i spoke my opinion,

i hope devs get something out of this for the future of mmos.

anyway ciao.

The important thing is to have a choice of games out there that appeal to different players. If GW2 followed the same pattern as every other MMO, where would that leave people who enjoy its current approach?

Historically, you had be something of a nutter to drive a Lamborghini, but turning that marque into just another souped up family saloon hasn't really benefited anyone.