why does all armor in GW2 Look like shit?

fonss.9872

after playing GW1 Many years ago i thought i might give this a go.

the game seems alright but one thing i cant get over i how UGLY all cosmetics is.

is either total over the top Ugly or just downright ugly.

i have not seen 1 guy with a armor combo i liked, besides from myself with basic hall of monuments armor and weapons.

wtf happend to the armor design in GW2??? what changed?

Sooo subjective..... I can say 3 things:

First of all, "I might give this ago" suggests you just started, which implies you didn't REALLY give the armors a fair chance, nor do you have any dyes to actually make them look nice.

Anyways, I can only guess that your just grew accustomed to a particular style and graphics at that point, and now that you haven't played it in a while your expectations grew. I mean, I logged onto gw1 and thought those armors (and graphics/feel in general) were ugly, while I like a lot of gw2 armors. With that said it still takes me long to find a look I like with all of those armor choices.

Finally, I'm surprised that someone coming from gw1 doesn't like the armors. I mean most gw1 armors are on the same level as super basic ones in gw2....

Are you sure you've seen all the options? If you go to the bank you can use the wardrobe tab to preview all the different armour pieces available. You can also use the links on the right side of this page to see all the sets together on each race/gender: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Armor

(Personally I recommend using the gallery as a quick way to narrow down your options then previewing it on your actual character before making a final decision because little things like their build and hair/beard or which parts of their skin pattern/tattoos etc. you want to use can make a big difference.)

Also don't forget you can mix and match different pieces and hide helms, shoulders and gloves. There's lots of sets which look too bulky or messy for me at first glance but when you hide those 3 (or swap them out for other styles) it gets a lot better. For example when I first saw the crafted medium ascended armour set I thought it looked like an absurd mess of patterns and spikes. But I previewed just the coat on my ranger and it became one of my favourite skins for her. I use the trousers on another character and I really like how that looks too. But I'd never use the whole set together.

People who still after 7? years use gw1 as a comparison confuse the heck out of me. The game is not the same. The people from gw1 made gw2, not some vicious alien spawn.

Get over it already.

I like a lot of looks, dislike a lot. If I hated everything from looks to play style to endless but it was better then, I would have left and not looked back years ago.

> @"fonss.9872" said:

> after playing GW1 Many years ago i thought i might give this a go.

> the game seems alright but one thing i cant get over i how UGLY all cosmetics is.

> is either total over the top Ugly or just downright ugly.

> i have not seen 1 guy with a armor combo i liked, besides from myself with basic hall of monuments armor and weapons.

> kitten happend to the armor design in GW2??? what changed?

I guess you are saying something subjective. But I completely, 100% agree! The design of armor and weapons is absolutely tasteless!! Look at the longbow and warhorn skins for example... no really... Open it up in the TP, and look at ALL of them. Completely atrocious garbage from top to botto.

Then look at all the armor-styled outfits on the gemstore. I guess that robocop/skinned-terminator are the inspiration here. I wouldn't wear any of these if you paid me. Then consider the "legendary" armor with the teenage mutant ninja turtle spikes in the head *vomit*.

I think somebody's nephew got the job of designing these things.

Would any of the people who don't like how armour looks in this game be willing to post pictures of their characters? I'm curious what you do find acceptable, or at least the best of the options available but as the posts in this topic tend towards hyperbole it's hard for me to get a clear idea of what the problem actually is.

> @"Danikat.8537" said:

> Would any of the people who don't like how armour looks in this game be willing to post pictures of their characters? I'm curious what you do find acceptable, or at least the best of the options available but as the posts in this topic tend towards hyperbole it's hard for me to get a clear idea of what the problem actually is.

>!![](https://i.imgur.com/wyaj97F.jpg "")

I like this one but the accessibility of the ley-line tentacle skin is "limited" to say the least (the mursaat wings would have been an alternative if they were dyeable) and the wilde magic backpack was locked behind a time-gated RNG wall so RIP that.

I'd like to see some more high tech "asuran" gear. Y'know, similar to this:

>!![](https://i.imgur.com/WE2fxdI.jpg "")

But considering the overall trend when it comes to new skins that's most likely not going to happen anytime soon.

But ignoring armor for a second, I think weapons are bigger offenders when it comes to their design. Not necessarily in regards to the skins themselves but everything else. Unlike armor they can't be dyed, unlike the gliders they don't have unique soundeffects (bar the legendaries and the SAB stuff) and the ranged ones don't even have customized projectile animations based on what the guns "ammunition" is supposed to be.

> @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> If you asked me, I'd love to see they made an overhaul for their armor tools so the creation is easier and we can see more of high quality full armor sets instead of outfits.

If they could modify the technology used to make armor better, I'd be in agreement. As is, however, I don't think it's possible. They kind of overstepped their own expectations and now making the different skins with different mesh types make the overall creation process a nightmare.

Perhaps if they just made the armor just 4 pieces (head and shoulders being 2, upper body and lower body being the other) instead of 6, that would alleviate some of the composition issues? But as is, I feel them needing to create different design pieces that can be blended is just too tough...just imagine if, instead of 6 armor parts, we had 10? Helmet, face, neck, shoulders, sleeves, torso, wrists, belt, legs and feet. How much of a nightmare would that be to design a set like that?

Despite the fact that I dislike the vast majority of armors I like how my characters turned out. There is usually one or 2 armor combos I like well enough.

But yeah...a lot of it is style difference, I tend to prefer more....simple or grounded designs I guess? I don't like overly flashy or lots of particle effects (which is why I haven't even tried to get a Legendary weapon, only one of them I kinda like is Nevermore). Even when the design is one I like often it doesn't translate very well.

That said, while I may not like armor or weapons in this game the environments are fantastic.

> @"Danikat.8537" said:

> Would any of the people who don't like how armour looks in this game be willing to post pictures of their characters? I'm curious what you do find acceptable, or at least the best of the options available but as the posts in this topic tend towards hyperbole it's hard for me to get a clear idea of what the problem actually is.

Sure, I'll give it a shot. These are mostly old pics with the last being the newest because they are already loaded online.

>!![](https://i.imgur.com/N5eoBaK.jpg?1"")

>!![](https://i.imgur.com/5V30D5q.jpg"")

>!![](https://i.imgur.com/gKyq9CT.jpg?1"")

> @"Tails.9372" said:

> I'd like to see some more high tech "asuran" gear. Y'know, similar to this:

>

> >!![](https://i.imgur.com/WE2fxdI.jpg "")

>

> But considering the overall trend when it comes to new skins that's most likely not going to happen anytime soon.

You know, beside the stupid wings, that would look and function better as an outfit.

To fit as a set of armor, the gloves would have to be expanded so they can cover up the forearm or the sleeves would just have some cut-off at the elbow, if we're keeping the buttcape, that does fitting the torso and legs together easier but I'd personally ditch it for a tasset design. the neck would likely have to be cut off or incorporated into the helmet in some fashion...would likely cause conflict or clipping.

I pretty much can't play male human mages in this game due to their horrid wardrobe choice. I just spent an hour yesterday looking at all possible sets, and I wasn't able to truly enjoy a single one. My friend who plays female sylvari ranger also hates the armor choices available to her, and resorts to outfits to look good.

It's definitely a very subjetive topic, but you can't deny some major issues with cosmetics in this game. The lack of model diversity is one that is raised quite often. The excess of assymetry, the amount of unnecessary details and the overreliance on random spikes, skulls and straps to make a set feel "epic" are all things that I cannot stand.

At least GW1 had some really grounded, elegant pieces for male mesmers, and two or three for elementalists as well.

> @"DiogoSilva.7089" said:

> It's definitely a very subjetive topic, but you can't deny some major issues with cosmetics in this game. The lack of model diversity is one that is raised quite often. The excess of assymetry, the amount of unnecessary details and the overreliance on random spikes, skulls and straps to make a set feel "epic" are all things that I cannot stand.

YEEEESSS! THIIIIISSS!

It drives me nuts! I am not a symmetry freak but I do, on occasion, enjoy a design that has symmetrical elements and it feels like the designers are doing everything in their power to make things asymmetric, not to look interesting, but to make it look unique. It can accomplish that, but looking unique and looking good are not synonymous. A lot of the times, a set of armor will just look over-designed for the sake of looking unique which ends up being random spikes, elaborate patterns, and BIG doo-dads hanging all over the place.

People hate on outfits, but even their asymmetric designs are only an ELEMENT of the outfit and not the whole of the outfit. For example:

>!![](https://i.imgur.com/bmjOVEH.jpg?1"")

The swords sticking out of it are in an asymmetric pattern but the armor itself is symmetrical. I do like this outfit and its dye channels are pretty nice. It's also not bulky which is a pet peeve of mine.

> @"Danikat.8537" said:

Eh these are my current level 80s though planing on redoing them. I have a heavy armored norn who is only 50 too and...I actually like the low elves armors. I always feel like I shouldn't use low level or a complete set of one armor just for prestige I guess? but I like them better so whatever.

Image not working so link instead: https://imgur.com/oltSwdk