Flag DPS-Meter user in the game

> @"SmirkDog.3160" said:

> I don't see why people are so offended by people knowing they're using DPS meters, unless they think they'll be treated different because of it and could have difficulty finding parties. I'm in favor of something like that being made public, because it can make it clear to people that you're using it and may want other players who are using it (like if you've got your own party up in the LFG), and also lets someone know if someone they're thinking of joining is using one in case they want to avoid that.

It would put a target on those who don't use DPS meters, rather than on those who do.

"t4 dailies 1chrono 1druid 2dps f+p ONLY DPS METER"

The fractal lfg would be full of that

"VG training only dps meters"

The raid lfg would be full of that

"no, I only accept players who use dps meters" in wvw

Etc etc etc.

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"nia.4725" said:

> > It would put a target on those who don't use DPS meters, rather than on those who do.

>

> "t4 dailies 1chrono 1druid 2dps f+p ONLY DPS METER"

>

> The fractal lfg would be full of that

>

> "VG training only dps meters"

>

> The raid lfg would be full of that

>

> "no, I only accept players who use dps meters" in wvw

>

> Etc etc etc.

Well, while I see your point, usually someone would just respond to an answer like that with "make your own party" or "get a guild to do it with" so. I think those answers are still acceptable.

From the sounds of it.. I wouldnt want to team with you if i used a DPS meter or not.. with an attitude like this.. you're half the issue to the problem you have mentioned.

please remember this in the future to come.. After all.. if a DPS meter reader says nothing, judges no one..and both have fun.. then there is no issue

You know I really don't have a dog in this fight. I've briefly used ARC, it didn't increase my personal enjoyment of the game and I don't trust the developer so I ditched it. I get why people use it, and if Arenanet greenlights it then cool. No issue from me.

But really if someone is using ARC they have been doing so mainly so they can maintain grouping with similarly minded players. We have been reminded time and time again by users of these tools that their main benefit is so they can play with like-minded players who value performance they way they do.

There is nothing wrong with that it's a strong, reasonable argument.

But in fairness if someone wants to use a DPS meter to group with people who know and understand their roles as the meter displays, then someone else who opposes their use should know, so that they may also group with like minded players.

A small icon beside a player's buffs when they are selected sounds reasonable.

The "privacy" argument is absolute hogwash.

I personally don't care if anyone uses ARC.

But if someone is using it to play the game the way they want with the people they want, those in opposition should have the same information.

> @"Dayra.7405" said:

> > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > And yet the information in question, DPS, is not "concerning" you. It is concerning a fictiinal character in a fictional setting, both owned entirely by arenanet.

>

> a) ownership is irrelevant.

> b) what do you think I am a chat bot or a person?

> c) The DPS I am doing is information over me very similar to a school grade, it maps my behavior onto a numeric scale to judge me.

A) ownership is extremely relevant because if the argument that dps is PI has any merit then it would not be YOUR PI. The data concerns the character, and so ANet, not you.

b) There is no evidence here to support either position. Neither is relevant.

C) The DPS number being generated does not concern you. It concerns tbe performance of one of Anet's characters using a build produced using Anet's software. School grades affect further academic and/or professional prospects. Furthermore the school is either directly a government institution or accredited by the government.

Some posters in this thread are attempting to apply privacy laws to someone having access to data about damage done by the person's character in an online game. I would be interested to see what lawmakers, lawyers and judges would say about these attempts to apply laws intended to protect people from harm to their person, finances or other significant threats to such issues. It would be my hope that these worthies would have a good laugh, then move on to important matters.

I for one want lawmakers to be concerned about things that affect peoples' lives. If someone knowing how much damage Person A did in a T3 fractal is a life issue for Person A, then Person A would be better served to stop gaming. Laws are meant to protect people from harm, not inconvenience.

> @"Laila Lightness.8742" said:

> > @"Miko.4158" said:

> > this comes up at work loads, and I've done a fair amount of law.

> > I've also quoted the data protection act 1998.

> > you are safest at aggregated or stats even though the money is at lower levels profiling.

> > this goes foe everything, say I have a security camera outside my shop, put up a sign you are being recorded.

> > then watch it and cut up the stats into male female etc. footfall and advertising etc is worth money

> > at the individual level its shady ground.

> > law once again:

> > The definition of personal data is data relating to a living individual who can be identified

> >

> > from that data.

> >

> > not to say it doesn't happen all the time.

> > but saying its simple or 'I am the definitive expert' is balls.

> > and completely underestimates the issue. data has grown faster than legislation.

> >

>

> The meter isnt doing anything illegal that combat data is loaded in backround the second you group all the groups dps data is on your pc as on theirs. But in this case its more about bullying (by kicking ppl doing.their best if they dont have enough ar then its your duty to carry them and help them) pointing someone out is harasment

As I said, I would never kick a player out of the group for poor performance. They could be new. They might have disabilities. Maybe they just aren't very good at these types of games? I don't know and I don't care. As long as you aren't a jerk, we can play together. I will kick people for rudeness, whether it's over perceived performance issues or anything else!

Having said that, I strongly disagree with your definition of bullying, "kicking ppl doing their best if they don't have enough ar then its your duty to carry them and help them." While I will always do exactly this (carry less skilled/experienced players), it is in no way my responsibility to do so. Let's be clear. I play for me. I paid for the game just like you did and we owe each other nothing more than the minimum level of respect afforded equals.

That doesn't indicate that we shouldn't be friendly, that I would never carry you through content you were struggling with or any of the other things you seem to consider my responsibility to you. But I don't owe you anything, and the expectation that I do is somewhat offensive to my way of thinking.

Perhaps this is a cultural difference? I'm American. I was raised to be kind, to be charitable, to help people in need, yet treat them as equals. All of those things decent human beings should be (but unfortunately, usually aren't, regardless of nationality!) to each other. But I was also raised to understand that, if I'm going to make it in this world, I need to stand on my own two feet and lend that hand to others. If I can't help myself then I can't help anyone.

Of course, this isn't life. It's just a game. But I consider it rude to put oneself before everyone else if I'm causing the entire group to struggle. I 100% agree that if the group isn't struggling as a result of one player's behavior, then it would be rude of them to berate that player and/or kick them from the group. But I would never go as far as to say that the group owes that player a carry either. And if I were that player and had the audacity to express such an opinion to any group, I would expect to be kicked because the bully in that situation is me!

> @"AliamRationem.5172" said:

> > @"Laila Lightness.8742" said:

> > > @"Miko.4158" said:

> > > this comes up at work loads, and I've done a fair amount of law.

> > > I've also quoted the data protection act 1998.

> > > you are safest at aggregated or stats even though the money is at lower levels profiling.

> > > this goes foe everything, say I have a security camera outside my shop, put up a sign you are being recorded.

> > > then watch it and cut up the stats into male female etc. footfall and advertising etc is worth money

> > > at the individual level its shady ground.

> > > law once again:

> > > The definition of personal data is data relating to a living individual who can be identified

> > >

> > > from that data.

> > >

> > > not to say it doesn't happen all the time.

> > > but saying its simple or 'I am the definitive expert' is balls.

> > > and completely underestimates the issue. data has grown faster than legislation.

> > >

> >

> > The meter isnt doing anything illegal that combat data is loaded in backround the second you group all the groups dps data is on your pc as on theirs. But in this case its more about bullying (by kicking ppl doing.their best if they dont have enough ar then its your duty to carry them and help them) pointing someone out is harasment

>

> As I said, I would never kick a player out of the group for poor performance. They could be new. They might have disabilities. Maybe they just aren't very good at these types of games? I don't know and I don't care. As long as you aren't a jerk, we can play together. I will kick people for rudeness, whether it's over perceived performance issues or anything else!

>

> Having said that, I strongly disagree with your definition of bullying, "kicking ppl doing their best if they don't have enough ar then its your duty to carry them and help them." While I will always do exactly this (carry less skilled/experienced players), it is in no way my responsibility to do so. Let's be clear. I play for me. I paid for the game just like you did and we owe each other nothing more than the minimum level of respect afforded equals.

>

> That doesn't indicate that we shouldn't be friendly, that I would never carry you through content you were struggling with or any of the other things you seem to consider my responsibility to you. But I don't owe you anything, and the expectation that I do is somewhat offensive to my way of thinking.

>

> Perhaps this is a cultural difference? I'm American. I was raised to be kind, to be charitable, to help people in need, yet treat them as equals. All of those things decent human beings should be (but unfortunately, usually aren't, regardless of nationality!) to each other. But I was also raised to understand that, if I'm going to make it in this world, I need to stand on my own two feet and lend that hand to others. If I can't help myself then I can't help anyone.

>

> Of course, this isn't life. It's just a game. But I consider it rude to put oneself before everyone else if I'm causing the entire group to struggle. I 100% agree that if the group isn't struggling as a result of one player's behavior, then it would be rude of them to berate that player and/or kick them from the group. But I would never go as far as to say that the group owes that player a carry either. And if I were that player and had the audacity to express such an opinion to any group, I would expect to be kicked because the bully in that situation is me!

Well said!

> @"Dayra.7405" said:

> > @"BlaqueFyre.5678" said:

> > Combat Meters just compile everything into a easier to read visual aid, nothing more nothing less.

>

> You can see actions of people on the street, still it's a totally different thing to record them and especially to evaluate them to generate profiles of people.

Technically no, they're on the street, the street is public, therefore anything that you do in public is considered public information, to say otherwise is just not common sense.

> @"AliamRationem.5172" said:

> > @"Laila Lightness.8742" said:

> > > @"Miko.4158" said:

> > > this comes up at work loads, and I've done a fair amount of law.

> > > I've also quoted the data protection act 1998.

> > > you are safest at aggregated or stats even though the money is at lower levels profiling.

> > > this goes foe everything, say I have a security camera outside my shop, put up a sign you are being recorded.

> > > then watch it and cut up the stats into male female etc. footfall and advertising etc is worth money

> > > at the individual level its shady ground.

> > > law once again:

> > > The definition of personal data is data relating to a living individual who can be identified

> > >

> > > from that data.

> > >

> > > not to say it doesn't happen all the time.

> > > but saying its simple or 'I am the definitive expert' is balls.

> > > and completely underestimates the issue. data has grown faster than legislation.

> > >

> >

> > The meter isnt doing anything illegal that combat data is loaded in backround the second you group all the groups dps data is on your pc as on theirs. But in this case its more about bullying (by kicking ppl doing.their best if they dont have enough ar then its your duty to carry them and help them) pointing someone out is harasment

>

> As I said, I would never kick a player out of the group for poor performance. They could be new. They might have disabilities. Maybe they just aren't very good at these types of games? I don't know and I don't care. As long as you aren't a jerk, we can play together. I will kick people for rudeness, whether it's over perceived performance issues or anything else!

>

> Having said that, I strongly disagree with your definition of bullying, "kicking ppl doing their best if they don't have enough ar then its your duty to carry them and help them." While I will always do exactly this (carry less skilled/experienced players), it is in no way my responsibility to do so. Let's be clear. I play for me. I paid for the game just like you did and we owe each other nothing more than the minimum level of respect afforded equals.

>

> That doesn't indicate that we shouldn't be friendly, that I would never carry you through content you were struggling with or any of the other things you seem to consider my responsibility to you. But I don't owe you anything, and the expectation that I do is somewhat offensive to my way of thinking.

>

> Perhaps this is a cultural difference? I'm American. I was raised to be kind, to be charitable, to help people in need, yet treat them as equals. All of those things decent human beings should be (but unfortunately, usually aren't, regardless of nationality!) to each other. But I was also raised to understand that, if I'm going to make it in this world, I need to stand on my own two feet and lend that hand to others. If I can't help myself then I can't help anyone.

>

> Of course, this isn't life. It's just a game. But I consider it rude to put oneself before everyone else if I'm causing the entire group to struggle. I 100% agree that if the group isn't struggling as a result of one player's behavior, then it would be rude of them to berate that player and/or kick them from the group. But I would never go as far as to say that the group owes that player a carry either. And if I were that player and had the audacity to express such an opinion to any group, I would expect to be kicked because the bully in that situation is me!

Hey, I like the way you think. Cudos (it's especially rare to meet someone that recognizes handicaps as a contributing factor and tries not to be biased against them). I agree with everything you said. A good rule of thumb in general is "Don't be a kitten" and I know I sometimes mess it up, but when I do I expect to be chastised or removed for it.

Also to the complaints listed in the thread, it feels like beating a dead horse at this point, but all data produced by the game is owned by ArenaNet, as is the nature of any MMORPG. You don't buy or own the game, you paid for the right to access it while accepting the conditions of doing so. It's not a violation of your privacy when a DPS meter takes the data and then displays it, even if you were the one that produced that data, because you don't own it. It isn't your private data, it's ANet's private data, and they have chosen to allow it to be public. No law will protect this.

> @"Dayra.7405" said:

> > @"Haleydawn.3764" said:

> > And what exactly does that DPS information give us about you? Home address? Email? Telephone number? Social Security number? Oh yeah! None of it! Funny that.

>

> What do you think why Zuckerberg was in the Senat-audit a few weeks ago? Facebook did not gave Home address, Email, Telephone number nor Social Security number to Cambridge Analytics, So why was he there? If you restrict personal information to just these you have no clue what going on in the data-economy.

So you think that the damage done by a sentient plant swinging a incandescent surf board that he calls a greatsword in a video game is part of the data economy now?

I am a bit curious as to what charges were filed against facebook and/or Zuckerberg as regards to that senate hearing.

So we're doing gymnastics now ?

Cause i'm seeing a whole boat load of stretching and floor routines here to justify what people think of as an invasion of privacy or illegal data collection....

It's also still comical that people want Anet to flag everyone which is an even bigger problem for them as they'd only isolate themselves since they wouldn't have said flag.

> @"TexZero.7910" said:

> So we're doing gymnastics now ?

>

> Cause i'm seeing a whole boat load of stretching and floor routines here to justify what people think of as an invasion of privacy or illegal data collection....

>

> It's also still comical that people want Anet to flag everyone which is an even bigger problem for them as they'd only isolate themselves since they wouldn't have said flag.

Almost as comical as the fact that ANet adding a visible flag to others if they choose to use a THIRD PARTY program on their computer that is not owned by them actually WOULD be a privacy violation.

> @"Dayra.7405" said:

> > @"Haleydawn.3764" said:

> > **It is not personal information**.

> > Personal information, is classed as your real name, addresss, DoB, social security numbers, bank details etc. Numbers in a DPS meter in an online game does not fall in this category because I can't **personally identify you** by viewing it. Ergo, it is **public data**.

>

> The Law goes even further (http://www.privacy-regulation.eu/en/r26.htm):

> >! (26) The principles of data protection should apply to any information concerning an identified or identifiable natural person.

> >!Personal data which have undergone pseudonymisation, which could be attributed to a natural person by the use of additional information should be considered to be information on an identifiable natural person.

> >! To determine whether a natural person is identifiable, account should be taken of all the means reasonably likely to be used, such as singling out, either by the controller or by another person to identify the natural person directly or indirectly.

> >! To ascertain whether means are reasonably likely to be used to identify the natural person, account should be taken of all objective factors, such as the costs of and the amount of time required for identification, taking into consideration the available technology at the time of the processing and technological developments.

> >! The principles of data protection should therefore not apply to anonymous information, namely information which does not relate to an identified or identifiable natural person or to personal data rendered anonymous in such a manner that the data subject is not or no longer identifiable.

> >! This Regulation does not therefore concern the processing of such anonymous information, including for statistical or research purposes.

>

> It does NOT matter if YOU can identify me in real-world from Dayra.7405, it is sufficient that Dayra.7405 can identify me in principle e.g. by hacking ANet's database.

> As such Dayra.7405. is PII and information related to PII is personal information.

> And it is that even on it's own, as you can direct actions against me in game, and a person is playing a char in GW2. not a bot (hopefully :) ).

>

OMFG, is this still going on? All of the concerns have been answered. This is just a troll fest at this point.

If you're so concerned about your privacy, just stop playing the game and delete all your info.

This has nothing to do with DPS meters. Sheesh, WoW has had 3rd-party DPS meters for over a decade without rampant security breaches.

And, if I can find out who you are IRL via your account name, you need to change your account name. That's just stupid.

> @"evilsofa.7296" said:

> > @"Blood Red Arachnid.2493" said:

> > I'd like it. One of the things that I don't like about hidden meters is the ever-present fear that I'm constantly being judged. I've practiced my rotations and I can DPS with the best of them (except for mesmer builds, for some odd reason), but I don't like how I have to go full tryhard all the time. I'm very sick, and I'm getting old. Sometimes, I don't want to be at my best. Sometimes, I can't be at my best. I just want to be "good enough".

>

> If you don't like being judged, then you definitely don't want Anet to be flagging you, which is what will inevitably occur once a flagging mechanism gets put into the game.

There's a reason why I call it pandora's box. There's no good solution to it.

Look, there's no law that prevents me from listening in on other peoples' conversations in public, let alone interjecting myself in them. If someone is talking on their phone, I can walk up and and start yelling things into their phone, trying to be part of the conversation. If they don't want me there, well tough luck because we're on the street, and I can be wherever I darn well want to. There's no privacy for things said out in the open. Regardless of the law, me loudly interjecting myself into every phone conversation is just rude. It is about common decency between human beings.

This whole thing about players installing third party apps solely to unleash righteous indignation on their teammates, it's not cool. All of this talk about what constitutes privacy in law, that is all an aside to the fact that it is a kitten move. It isn't fun nor is it fair that somebody with a warped worldview _not shared by the majority of players or the game makers themselves_ is out there, stalking other people from a hidden vantage point just to go full aggro over issues that exist only in their own minds, and the layman can do nothing about it. We're not happy about this.

It is understandable that players want to identify these people. Ideally, we would just make DPS meters illegal, because then when somebody makes an LFG that says "20k AP NO NECRO/REV/TEEF", we can plainly see the kind of person they are and avoid them. But that would involve Anet reversing their current stance and closing down a lot of things that players are using just because Anet gave an oblique "OK". AKA, they'd have to close pandora'x box.

> @"SmirkDog.3160" said:

> I don't see why people are so offended by people knowing they're using DPS meters, unless they think they'll be treated different because of it and could have difficulty finding parties. I'm in favor of something like that being made public, because it can make it clear to people that you're using it and may want other players who are using it (like if you've got your own party up in the LFG), and also lets someone know if someone they're thinking of joining is using one in case they want to avoid that.

It wouldent make it harder for dps meter people it would make it easier for them to kick people that dont use it.

Becouse in their mind not they are trying enough even if they arent able to prove themselfs.

> @"Linken.6345" said:

> > @"SmirkDog.3160" said:

> > I don't see why people are so offended by people knowing they're using DPS meters, unless they think they'll be treated different because of it and could have difficulty finding parties. I'm in favor of something like that being made public, because it can make it clear to people that you're using it and may want other players who are using it (like if you've got your own party up in the LFG), and also lets someone know if someone they're thinking of joining is using one in case they want to avoid that.

>

> It wouldent make it harder for dps meter people it would make it easier for them to kick people that dont use it.

> Becouse in their mind not they are trying enough even if they arent able to prove themselfs.

They don't have to kick me, I will keep a large distance to them.

> @"Imperadordf.2687" said:

> This thread is turning to the "Commanders don't accept me to squad" thread. I summon @"Gaile Gray.6029" to close the thread. Please, it's turning to a troll fest here.

Agree.

> @"Mini Crinny.6190" said:

> I mean, people would start asking for gear checking instead

Which people did before DPS meters. That and AP point and a much more restrictive class requirement than after DPS meters became common.

> @"mindcircus.1506" said:

> But really if someone is using ARC they have been doing so mainly so they can maintain grouping with similarly minded players. We have been reminded time and time again by users of these tools that their main benefit is so they can play with like-minded players who value performance they way they do.

> There is nothing wrong with that it's a strong, reasonable argument.

>

> But in fairness if someone wants to use a DPS meter to group with people who know and understand their roles as the meter displays, then someone else who opposes their use should know, so that they may also group with like minded players.

> A small icon beside a player's buffs when they are selected sounds reasonable.

The main benefit is to not return where requirements for achievement points and class where the primary way to form groups.

If we want full fairness then let have Anet make a amazon rating system where we can rate each other and have that as a small icon. If someone else who opposes 1 star players then they can kick them from the start. A small icon, 1-5 stars sounds perfectly reasonable right?

Except *why* should anet develop something which primary purpose is to separate and cause more strife between players? DPS meters helps to reduce the problem where achievement points, classes, kill proof, titles, or gate keeping guilds are used to define who will be accepted and who will be kicked before players have even meet and tried the content. It solves a real problem and brings player together which previously would be suspicious of each other. It allows a new player to join amazing content even if they only has 5k ap on their account, helping a bit to get new players into the game. DPS meter makes people less discriminative when forming parties, putting their trust to actually game play rather than silly stuff like achievement points.

It is not reasonable that anet should design the game for more discrimination before a player has had a chance.

> @"Blood Red Arachnid.2493" said:

> > @"evilsofa.7296" said:

> > > @"Blood Red Arachnid.2493" said:

> > > I'd like it. One of the things that I don't like about hidden meters is the ever-present fear that I'm constantly being judged. I've practiced my rotations and I can DPS with the best of them (except for mesmer builds, for some odd reason), but I don't like how I have to go full tryhard all the time. I'm very sick, and I'm getting old. Sometimes, I don't want to be at my best. Sometimes, I can't be at my best. I just want to be "good enough".

> >

> > If you don't like being judged, then you definitely don't want Anet to be flagging you, which is what will inevitably occur once a flagging mechanism gets put into the game.

>

> There's a reason why I call it pandora's box. There's no good solution to it.

>

> Look, there's no law that prevents me from listening in on other peoples' conversations in public, let alone interjecting myself in them. If someone is talking on their phone, I can walk up and and start yelling things into their phone, trying to be part of the conversation. If they don't want me there, well tough luck because we're on the street, and I can be wherever I darn well want to. There's no privacy for things said out in the open. Regardless of the law, me loudly interjecting myself into every phone conversation is just rude. It is about common decency between human beings.

>

> This whole thing about players installing third party apps solely to unleash righteous indignation on their teammates, it's not cool. All of this talk about what constitutes privacy in law, that is all an aside to the fact that it is a kitten move. It isn't fun nor is it fair that somebody with a warped worldview _not shared by the majority of players or the game makers themselves_ is out there, stalking other people from a hidden vantage point just to go full aggro over issues that exist only in their own minds, and the layman can do nothing about it. We're not happy about this.

>

> It is understandable that players want to identify these people. Ideally, we would just make DPS meters illegal, because then when somebody makes an LFG that says "20k AP NO NECRO/REV/TEEF", we can plainly see the kind of person they are and avoid them. But that would involve Anet reversing their current stance and closing down a lot of things that players are using just because Anet gave an oblique "OK". AKA, they'd have to close pandora'x box.

So how hard is it to make lfg that have chilled or relaxed in them?

If you see f+p Chrono,druid,war 2xdps with any combo of 100cm 99cm and t4.

You can bet sweet ass atleast 1 in that group run a dps meter.

> I use a DPS meter, but I spend the vast majority of my time soloing open world legendaries and champions. When I'm not doing that, I can usually be found helping other players with HPs, storyline, etc., running HP trains, bounty squads - none of the things you associate with elitist DPS meter users.

So much this.

I just like to improve my gamepaly or have a look how far i can push funbuilds dps wise against champs or bosses by using a dps meter. I don't care about other peoples dps.

I never step into a raid or high fractal content.

The next thing is: If you starting something like flagging for DPS Meters where will it ends up? Flagging for not wearing full ascendet? Get flagged for leaving a fractal or ini? Get flagged for your server or county? Getting voteflagged for no benchmarkdps?

> @"SunTzu.4513" said:

> > I use a DPS meter, but I spend the vast majority of my time soloing open world legendaries and champions. When I'm not doing that, I can usually be found helping other players with HPs, storyline, etc., running HP trains, bounty squads - none of the things you associate with elitist DPS meter users.

>

> So much this.

So for you the perfect solution would be that the DPS-Meter can only read your combat-infos's not that of all people in the whole group/squad. That would be a perfect solution for me as well ;)

> @"Dayra.7405" said:

> > @"SunTzu.4513" said:

> > > I use a DPS meter, but I spend the vast majority of my time soloing open world legendaries and champions. When I'm not doing that, I can usually be found helping other players with HPs, storyline, etc., running HP trains, bounty squads - none of the things you associate with elitist DPS meter users.

> >

> > So much this.

>

> So for you the perfect solution would be that the DPS-Meter can only read your combat-infos's not that of all people in the whole group/squad. That's perfectly fine for me ;)

Sure i dont care about others DPS this is also really irrelevant for my type of conent but can also understand that high endgame groups have a need for it. But the idea of flagging someone for using it leads into an direction wich i can't agree within.