LS4E5 and Wintersday Release Date Speculations

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Blockhead Magee.3092" said:

> The release schedule for the LW is always a crapshoot. It'll arrive when it does and no amount of threats will make them work any faster.

>

> I'm hoping wintersday and the LW get released on the same day. What a nice cluster that would be :+1:

I was hoping we would go to Deldrimor with Wintersday release and get that spider mount after all. :( Explore some dwarves ruins and such.

But I’m guessing the Caithe thing was just to show that they are working in the episode and it’s probably going to be February. I guess the next expansion is coming in 2023. ?

> @"Ashantara.8731" said:

> > @"ProtoGunner.4953" said:

> > Can't imagine February, that would be one of the longest content droughts (besides post-HoT).

>

> I agree but am afraid it might take even longer than that. :/

And we presumably have another episode of this season after that one. Which means season 5 would start around summer. At their current release schedule it would be 2 years of season 5. They did mention something about releasing stuff normally saved for expansions in season 5. But I doubt it will be elite specs or larger quantities of maps. If they released elite specs I’d be fine with the pace of season 5 taking that long but I’m just not sure that would happen.

They can add more mounts but outside of a water mount, maybe wall crawling spider, and a real flying mount I can’t think of too many options left. A multi seater? So the new features would probably be more suns refuge style content. I don’t have high hopes for player housing coming in either.

> @"EthanLightheart.9168" said:

> Can we now call living story officially dead story?

Why, cause they havent released an episode yet, even though they are still on schedule?

LWS4E4 dropped September 18th, Its been two full months, itll be three full months on December 18th. Youll probably get the next episode in January after the wintersday festival. The Caithe Teaser they just added to the game wouldnt have been added if they werent getting close to finishing the next episode.

> @"ProtoGunner.4953" said:

> The releases are getting fewer and fewer, LS1 almost every two weeks, LS2: about every 1-2 months, LS3: every two months: LS4, every three months (actually 4 releases in one whole year now). And they aren't even releasing a new expansion next year. One wonders why they release fewer and fewer stuff.

Exactly back then it took 3 releases a total of 6 weeks to even get half of what we get now but at least we had new stuff every 2 weeks.

What I liked about it was more cliffhanger and more speculation. The way things are moving we will soon see our first 4 months frank'in insanely supra mega long release date. What else did you people think you were gonna get? A living story episode fore Christmas? What planet are you living on? To think my friend is wondering why I only do daily and not even every day, well maybe the release windows are too few and getting insanely supra mega long in between. Episode 5 before Christmas, we still have the 11th or 18th, what do you think your chances are? Maybe just maybe Anet in it's great wisdom thought you would rather get a rinse and repeat winter's day instead. If we don't get before Christmas I'll see you guys on Assassin's Creed Origin. B)

> @"cptaylor.2670" said:

> "Check our official channels each weekday through December 19 for fun surprises!"

>

> This is interesting. I wonder what fun surprises they could be talking about. Or is that text there every time this rolls around?

Well, the first one (today's) was a snippet video; I did see something I'd not seen before, not sure what it is, though.

> @"Eloc Freidon.5692" said:

> > @"cptaylor.2670" said:

> > "Check our official channels each weekday through December 19 for fun surprises!"

> >

> > This is interesting. I wonder what fun surprises they could be talking about. Or is that text there every time this rolls around?

>

> What are you quoting from?

[https://guildwars2.com/en/news/wintersday-arrives-next-week/](https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/wintersday-arrives-next-week/ "https://guildwars2.com/en/news/wintersday-arrives-next-week/")

Man, I know that it's forums on the internet so people are gonna complain about everything, but man people freaking complain about everything. Back in LS1 people whined that the updates were too small and they wanted new maps and more new stuff to do. So now you get new maps with new metas and stories and achievements and adventures and races and griffon courses and currencies and it takes a little longer... and people STILL complain.

What do you expect, a new map every month with a new mount and new elite specs all perfectly polished and balanced for free? Feels like no matter HOW fast they release content the complainers will burn through the parts they are interested in as fast as possible then complain that it wasn't good enough, wasn't long enough, or they want more.

I play every day for a few hours a day and have 35,000 achievement points and there's STILL tons of stuff I don't have time to get to. I haven't even done most of the PoF stuff.

Now, let's get Wintersday here so I can throw some snowballs at people. :D

> @"Kunzaito.8169" said:

> Man, I know that it's forums on the internet so people are gonna complain about everything, but man people freaking complain about everything. Back in LS1 people whined that the updates were too small and they wanted new maps and more new stuff to do. So now you get new maps with new metas and stories and achievements and adventures and races and griffon courses and currencies and it takes a little longer... and people STILL complain.

>

> What do you expect, a new map every month with a new mount and new elite specs all perfectly polished and balanced for free? Feels like no matter HOW fast they release content the complainers will burn through the parts they are interested in as fast as possible then complain that it wasn't good enough, wasn't long enough, or they want more.

>

> I play every day for a few hours a day and have 35,000 achievement points and there's STILL tons of stuff I don't have time to get to. I haven't even done most of the PoF stuff.

>

> Now, let's get Wintersday here so I can throw some snowballs at people. :D

Well, it's not even an expansion on the horizon. That's why people are annoyed. I go play some single player games anyway.

> @"Ashantara.8731" said:

> > @"Susy.7529" said:

> > Despite I'd love you to be right, it's impossible, they won't overlap Wintersday with LS5.

>

> On the other hand, it would make for the _best_ possible Wintersday present for the players. :)

I mean, it would be nice if that happened but look at how many bugs and such come with a new Living World release, especially after what happened with Episode 3. If I recall right, Anet takes off on holidays so no one would be around to patch and fix those. The forums would be in an uproar with a bunch of "lel broken gaem Anet no how 2 code" threads/posts and nothing would get fixed/resolved until they came back from the holiday season.

I think Anet is playing it safe with waiting until January to release Episode 5. While I don't like it and I'm gonna play other things until then, I understand why they're likely doing things this way.

I'm going with March since in all of GW2's history there was only 1 episode released in the 2nd of December, 1 episode in 13th of January and 1 in 8th of February. Every episode date I just listed was from Season 2 and ANET wants to avoid even remembering the Season 2 cadence to the point that they'd make random events with no story impact just to give themselves more dev time. That's why we got that mail that lead nowhere fast since the next map has huge swaths of land to pick from. And honestly, if they pick Maga Coast/Sunward Marches as their next map they'd have to program in 3 phasing exits on 2 existing lands and extra dialogue for the boat captains on the shores of both the Domain of Istan and Sandswept Isles it takes them a long time to do since they repeatedly said that that is one of the hardest parts to put in the game. Or go north somewhere in the Southern Shiverpeaks just to have an easier time implementing stuff and do it in a similar fashion as they did in Season 3.

To be fair, I want to be wrong and get it this month as a present for the long Winters Day, but the cynic in me is saying March.

We know there were 3 living world teams during Season 3.

If there are still 3 teams in Season 4, Team 1 released "Daybreak" (November 2017) and 10 months later they released "A Star to Guide Us" (September 2018). Team 2 released "A Bug in the System" (March 2018) so if they keep the 10 month schedule, their second episode will come on January 2019. Finally, Team 3 released "Long Live the Lich" (June 2018), and their next episode (and final of S4/2 episodes per team) will be released on April 2019.

Then S5 will begin with the first episode from Team 1, on July 2019, the second episode on November 2019 and S5 will end with the final episode (half season) on February 2020. Then it will be all hype for expansion 3 around Q3 of 2020.

Edit:

Season 3 went like this:

Out of the Shadows July 2016 - The Head of the Snake February 2017 (7 months)

Rising Flames September 2016 - Flashpoint May 2017 (8 months)

A Crack in the Ice November 2016 - One Path Ends July 2017 (8 months)

So yeah 7-8 months delay between episodes in Season 3 and 9-10 months delay between episodes in Season 4, I guess S4 episodes are more complex!