Gen 3 Legendary Weapons!

I guess we will have to wait and see. The pace at which legendary weapons released suggests that the effort involved in making them was quite high (remember when they initially decided not to finish the 2 batch?).

I'm not sure a generation 3 will happen soon, especially when there is so many other slots which have no legendary gear available yet.

We can only hope that being done with generation 2 legendary (if the Great sword comes with the next episode) frees up resources to work on other prestige rewards.

Time will tell.

> @"Cyninja.2954" said:

> I guess we will have to wait and see. The pace at which legendary weapons released suggests that the effort involved in making them was quite high (remember when they initially decided not to finish the 2 batch?).

>

> I'm not sure a generation 3 will happen soon, especially when there is so many other slots which have no legendary gear available yet.

>

> We can only hope that being done with generation 2 legendary (if the Great sword comes with the next episode) frees up resources to work on other prestige rewards.

>

> Time will tell.

Honestly, I don't know why it should still take that long.

If they had kept doing the collections like for the first 4 legendaries of gen 2, then yes, designing these collections takes quite a while.

But since they went back to the method of simply making legendary crafting an extreme mats sink and nothing else.... They basically just have to design the 4 weapons (3 prototypes + legy), while 1 of these has some visual effects attached to it.

Tbh, I wish they would continue with the collections. Crafting H.O.P.E. was incredibly fun for me, I would prefer having this feeling back even if that means that we have bigger breaks between legendary releases.

> @"Kodama.6453" said:

> > @"Cyninja.2954" said:

> > I guess we will have to wait and see. The pace at which legendary weapons released suggests that the effort involved in making them was quite high (remember when they initially decided not to finish the 2 batch?).

> >

> > I'm not sure a generation 3 will happen soon, especially when there is so many other slots which have no legendary gear available yet.

> >

> > We can only hope that being done with generation 2 legendary (if the Great sword comes with the next episode) frees up resources to work on other prestige rewards.

> >

> > Time will tell.

>

> Honestly, I don't know why it should still take that long.

> If they had kept doing the collections like for the first 4 legendaries of gen 2, then yes, designing these collections takes quite a while.

>

> But since they went back to the method of simply making legendary crafting an extreme mats sink and nothing else.... They basically just have to design the 4 weapons (3 prototypes + legy), while 1 of these has some visual effects attached to it.

>

> _____________

>

> Tbh, I wish they would continue with the collections. Crafting H.O.P.E. was incredibly fun for me, I would prefer having this feeling back even if that means that we have bigger breaks between legendary releases.

While I agree, we can only speculate as to what is involved in the process.

My first guess would be the implementation of events and triggers across multiple zones and such takes quite a long time. Then there is the cost and resource balance (probably a tad easier).

We also don't know how many developers are devoted to specifically this type of content.

> @"Cyninja.2954" said:

> I guess we will have to wait and see. The pace at which legendary weapons released suggests that the effort involved in making them was quite high (remember when they initially decided not to finish the 2 batch?).

That was about the collections, which they discontinued after first 4 gen2 legends.

Still, i wouldn't expect gen3 so soon. More likely they will try to do something about all those still missing slots - or perhaps even about non-raid pve legendary armor set. Who knows, they might even do the underwater gen2 legends...

There's still a lot of options to pursue anyway.

I don't think Gen 3 will happen that fast. Maybe with next Xpac. Or maybe they will change the process again. Peeps definetly want them and it seems to be a way to hold peoples attention. but i'd think they would have to design a way for gen 3 to be released all in the same xpac or should! but they might just sprinkle them slowly again :(

> @"Orion Templar.4589" said:

> I wouldn't mind another legendary accessory like Aurora. Something tied to the living world season as it closes out that requires "mastery" of each living world map and release similar to how Aurora worked. (Although I'll admit I did get a bit weary of grinding for those druid runestones in Draconic Mons.)

If they add another accessory like Aurara but for Season 4 zones, imagine if it requires the Requiem Collection :joy:

> @"maddoctor.2738" said:

> > @"Orion Templar.4589" said:

> > I wouldn't mind another legendary accessory like Aurora. Something tied to the living world season as it closes out that requires "mastery" of each living world map and release similar to how Aurora worked. (Although I'll admit I did get a bit weary of grinding for those druid runestones in Draconic Mons.)

>

> If they add another accessory like Aurara but for Season 4 zones, imagine if it requires the Requiem Collection :joy:

I am ... ===><=== ... that close to having the full Requiem achievement. Of course, you can't see them, but there are 300 pieces of Mistonium in that gap...

> @"Orion Templar.4589" said:

> I wouldn't mind another legendary accessory like Aurora. Something tied to the living world season as it closes out that requires "mastery" of each living world map and release similar to how Aurora worked. (Although I'll admit I did get a bit weary of grinding for those druid runestones in Draconic Mons.)

I'm torn, as I liked the idea of tying a legendary item to specific map content, but at the same time, the main reason I'm not interested in working on Aurora is I have no desire to spend that much time on the LS 3 maps. Compare that to other legendaries which are just giant mat sinks, where you can farm those mats pretty much everywhere.

I'm equally torn on the mat sink vs. collection model. I think the latter is more interesting, and more in keeping with other legendary grinds I've seen from other games. But some of the requirements can be almost permanent roadblocks if you just cannot complete the required content, be it a JP, instance achievement, etc. Compare that to mat sinks where you just have to farm or buy the components necessary. That makes crafting them far simpler and perhaps quicker, depending on your resources, but it also makes it decidedly less fun and interesting.

As an example, I'm currently working on Ad Infinitum, and am at stage 4. While none of the challenges were particularly "hard", if you just can't find people to help complete the required CM's your progress stalls. Compare that to the Warbringer (WvW) backpack that I completed before Christmas, where all you need to do is just play WvW and buy the Commander's title. If someone decided one day they wanted the item, and were already above Rank 350 in WvW, all they would need are the skirmish tickets and the legendary materials (Clovers, etc). Simple, potentially faster, but really not that interesting a grind.

No matter what direction ANET takes though, some players will love it, others will hate it, and a large chunk just won't care as they will do anything for legendaries, or they don't care at all about them and won't bother.

> One more episode remaining to finish Season 4, which will probably give us the last gen 2 legendary weapon, the greatsword, so starting Season 5 we will start getting gen 3 weapons maybe? Or they'll stop giving us legendary weapons and instead start giving us something else? Thoughts?

Maybe they'll just release something that has the convenience aspects of legendaries, but without any fancy art, and more accessible. Ascended+, basically.

> @"Conqueror.3682" said:

> and... what about .. the spear! the trident!!, the speargun!! No one loves underwater combat :cry:

I definitely want them to finish the set. Admittedly I don't have any underwater legendaries, but then I've only got 2 in total and the underwater ones we have don't really suit my characters.

After that I'd prefer them to work on making legendary items for the other slots before starting another round of weapons. How cool would it be, especially for people who enjoy theory crafting, to have a full set of legendary equipment so it's easier to swap builds?

> @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > @"Conqueror.3682" said:

> > and... what about .. the spear! the trident!!, the speargun!! No one loves underwater combat :cry:

>

> I definitely want them to finish the set. Admittedly I don't have any underwater legendaries, but then I've only got 2 in total and the underwater ones we have don't really suit my characters.

Now that I think about, with episode 6 of Season 4 we'll be done with the non-underwater legendary weapons. Then, if Season 5 is a half season (3 episodes) it will be enough to add in the 3 underwater legendary weapons there. And then go for something entirely new (or gen 3 weapons) with Season 6 (or the next expansion)

I personally feel that they should stop for quite some time after this set. There reaches a time when you have so many legendary weapons that the entire tier becomes bloated. Exotic skins have become fancier and fancier with some even rivaling legendary skins. The line is becoming more and more blurred.

> > @"Orion Templar.4589" said:

> > I wouldn't mind another legendary accessory like Aurora. Something tied to the living world season as it closes out that requires "mastery" of each living world map and release similar to how Aurora worked. (Although I'll admit I did get a bit weary of grinding for those druid runestones in Draconic Mons.)

>

> If they add another accessory like Aurara but for Season 4 zones, imagine if it requires the Requiem Collection :joy:

I finished the Requiem collection. It isn’t hard to finish.

i think they said they only making a gen 2 and that was it, but who knows an expansion later maybe but i doubt we still need a Greatsword or 3, i think they also said no underwater ones. i am currently not done much of gen 2 cause i am finishing up gen 1 stuffs i need which i got like 3-4 left (debating rifle/mace) and most gen 2 are well not what i want and i think currently i want make like 7-8 of them and only one of gen 2 i got done was HOPE and that was a pain.

I was sure most people expected some type of legendary accessory at the end of this season. The Golem backpack collection was eerily similar to the Wayfarer's Henge with its timegate and all. It MIGHT just tie into the legendary ring, though that should be the raid reward and I'd find it weird if those would be connected.

I hope they keep making new legendaries, they have probably already long started working on them if they decided to keep going since the gen 2 legendaries were all done ages ago and they just needed to look into content releases to best match them into.

I dunno if they'll make another generation..

Keep in mind the second gen were supposed to launch with HoT and still to this day isn't a complete collection.

Imo Legends take far too long to make so I won't be surprised if the Devs decide to stop making them or at least take a break from making them.

Won't bother me personally since I don't particularly care about legends.. most of them are ugly imo lol

> @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> I personally feel that they should stop for quite some time after this set. There reaches a time when you have so many legendary weapons that the entire tier becomes bloated. Exotic skins have become fancier and fancier with some even rivaling legendary skins. The line is becoming more and more blurred.

Not really true though. The number of exotic and collection skins still outnumbers the Legendary by a substantial margin, and thats not even counting Blacklion skins. The "problem" with legendary skins is perception that they need to be universally better then other skins, but there simply too many "opinions" about what makes a good skin/effect to have that universal appeal. To this day, we're still having arguments over "joke legendary" skins, or how Twilight is more popular then Sunrise, because Edge Lords.

The real issue is that Legendary weapons are not coming fast enough to satisfy demands. Keep in mind, that Fashion Wars is a big deal for this game's overall player base; and every new outfit or armor set is a new opportunity to put together a new look. But we currently have a problem where most accounts don't have, or don't want, enough characters to properly take advantage of the numerous "looks" we can create; and the rate at which cosmetics come out are oddly paced compared to the frequency we'd want to change those looks. Some things come out too frequently (like outfits, mounts and gliders), while others are way too far in between (weapon sets, armors, and infusions), and occasionally we'll have a single item kick off a massive wardrobe shuffle (Elemental sword, wing back pieces, legendary weapon). Part of that may be intentional to keep eyes on the gem store.

For a long time I've been pondering the problem of the Legendary divide. Ever since Legendary Raid armor came out , we've come face to face with the fact that some of the aspects of Legendary weapons (particularly with the exclusive effects) could be put to better use on other skins, while some Legendary skins don't really benefit enough from their effects. The Khan-ur is kind of in a weird place, as the concept and lore behind it is on point, but the effects assigned to it don't seem lack luster. Its not even an argument of subdued vs overt, but one of lack of good distinction in conveying its theme through effects.

And thats not even going into the problem of builds too heavily favoring certain weapons across all the classes. Unfortunately that problem is more extensive then choice of skin, and its come to down to Especs to address the issue properly (which is something we also notably lack in sufficient numbers).