Episode 5 SPOILERS topic.

ugrakarma.9416

> @"Edelweiss.4261" said:

> > @"zealex.9410" said:

> > > @"Edelweiss.4261" said:

> > > > We start by going to Glint's Lair to get Aurene back with Caithe. Do some trials, learn that Kralkatorrik is actually not some great unknowable force of nature but is actually an evil SOB that saw a vision of everyone getting along without him around and is having an ages long fit over it.

> > >

> > > So, Anet ruined yet another elder dragon. What a waste.

> >

> > How come?

> The elder dragons were originally sold to us as forces of nature rather than dragons. This had a very cosmic horror vibe and being able to overcome an opponent that didn't even notice you sounded extremely satisfying. Instead, the dragons have personalities that are very similar to people. So similar that you could replace the elder dragons with people and very little would actually change. Writing interesting unknowable monstrosities is a much simpler task than writing compelling people. For my part, I've found the devs ability to do the latter inadequate. They flush interesting takes for mundane mediocrity. I just want the elder dragons we were sold.

>

I think u are taking it to the extreme, some amount of knowledge on its part isnt bad imho. They dont see to want to turn kralk into a compeling character or make him any less intimidating, he is still the same kralk as the kralk before the episode and hes powerful enough to do what he did.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Elder Dragons really ceased being unknowable monstrosities of nature the moment Mordremoth was introduced as a talking antagonist, to be honest.

You could even argue they started moving away from that as far back as when they started elaborating on Jormag's personality, and even Kralkatorriks in the Destiny's Edge books.

This is not a new thing.

There are a few things that are interesting. First, the three signs. Why is Jokos death one of the signs? Its like even now this is a Joko season and i'm not sure on how to think about this. Does Joko still have an influence now? Like his magic still being important?

Second: The thing about ascencion and what only dragons can understand. Why put it in there if Aurene is just gonna die? I guess this will have some importance in the future.

Well I would say that this defeat had to happen. I mean, Kralkatorrik got way stronger after Balthazars death, Aurene got her visions of the future and we got really rushed towards this battle with a plan that was put together on like a few minutes, how should things go any other way? I mean, ok Kralkatorrik got really wounded ( like the third time now ) but the visions had to mean something, especially if it feels like they aren't even mentioned in the episode. With how the story developed the way it did Aurenes "death" is only logical. There are still some things that bug me still, the way it got rushed to the battle still doesn't seem right, like we were meant to go there and fail horribly. Like someone did set us up to this defeat.

The only question is. What do we do now? Right now we have a dead Aurene, which basically destroyed Glints Legacy and we have no safe way to kill Kralkatorrik and not destroy Tyria. Well there is still the weapon mentioned by Vlast....

I have to admit, remember one of the critiques with Zhaitan back in release, that although dealing with him throughout the story, we never saw him until the end. I think they are doing a good job with showing lots of Kralkatorrik, even maiming his eye. It really shows this Elder Dragon is built like a tank. Two assassination attempts have failed already.

> @"Walhalla.5473" said:

> There are a few things that are interesting. First, the three signs. Why is Jokos death one of the signs? Its like even now this is a Joko season and i'm not sure on how to think about this. Does Joko still have an influence now? Like his magic still being important?

The Lich is immortal til is devoured, Aurene absorbed lichs powers, Aurene is "killed" but not devoured, the teoretchally she is able to ressurect herself like Joko. after shes devoured Joko, she (in theory) become a lich dragon.

> Second: The thing about ascencion and what only dragons can understand. Why put it in there if Aurene is just gonna die? I guess this will have some importance in the future.

This is very misterious and intriguing since Ascension is related to gods, but i didnt have more knowledge about if theres a link to dragons.. and worst, some npc in Elon Riverlands said ascension doesnt work more(Because gods left the mists).

https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Ascension

Maybe now we can finally find a way to balance and properly regulate the magic on Tyria without having to use ANY Dragons as a crutch. I never liked the "oh we can't kill Dragons anymore without replacing them or Tyria is doomed" twist in the story introduced back in Living World Season 3. I'm still on board with replacing them but not with another Dragon, especially since it was stated in the first chapter of this Episode that there was still temptation with absorbing large amounts of magic, meaning that not even Aurene was immune to such a thing.

Of course, that's my interpretation of it and I'll admit that I could be wrong due to not being as knowledgeable about the lore as others on here.

EDIT: Also I thought it was a smart move on Anet's part to not have Kralkatorrik be killed this episode considering Zojja is still absent. It's not a real Destiny's Edge vs. Kralkatorrik rematch without her. I really think she should be there in some capacity when we finally do skewer the Crystal Dragon for good.

> @"Fenom.9457" said:

> > @"ThatOddOne.4387" said:

> > Also where the kitten were Marjory and Kasmeer.

> >

> > And the answer to what we can do is simples, go find the Gods and get them to help in some manner because CLEARLY everything we're coming up with doesn't work.

> >

> > That manner would probably involve resurrecting Aurene but who knows at this point. ArenaNet threw a curveball.

>

>

> Oh man, I honestly forgot about them completely!

Well, considering how forgettable they are, I don't blame you.

> @"Kraljevo.2801" said:

> > @"Fenom.9457" said:

> > > @"ThatOddOne.4387" said:

> > > Also where the kitten were Marjory and Kasmeer.

> > >

> > > And the answer to what we can do is simples, go find the Gods and get them to help in some manner because CLEARLY everything we're coming up with doesn't work.

> > >

> > > That manner would probably involve resurrecting Aurene but who knows at this point. ArenaNet threw a curveball.

> >

> >

> > Oh man, I honestly forgot about them completely!

>

> Well, considering how forgettable they are, I don't blame you.

I just mean they should have been mentioned in the last few episodes

> @"Sajuuk Khar.1509" said:

> > @"Fenom.9457" said:

> > I just mean they should have been mentioned in the last few episodes

> Kas and Marj were mentioned at the beginning of Episode 4, Braham makes some comment about having lost contact with them, and no one knows where they are.

>

This is true, they were the ones that mentioned that Kralkatorrik vanished.

> > @"Fenom.9457" said:

> Kas and Marj were mentioned at the beginning of Episode 4, Braham makes some comment about having lost contact with them, and no one knows where they are.

>

Ok, I guess if they vanished then they’ll probably have some new information to help us in episode 6

> @"Arden.7480" said:

> HOLY kitten!!!!!!!!! HOLY kitten HOLY kitten HOLY kitten HOLY kitten!!!!

>

> Caithe is dying too, means :'(( NOOOO WHAT THE HECK YOU DID TO MY GUILD WARS?!

Caithe wasn't dying. Her crystalline flowers that represented her connection to Aurene wilted.

> > @"Fenom.9457" said:

Still, I had completely forgotten about them in our massive collection of allies that referenced even as far back as the freakin norn tutorial (Ms. Griffonbane, her only appearance before this ep being the norn tutorial).

Funny that they pulled callbacks throughout the game out of the woodworks like crazy, but continuously retconned Edge of Destiny's descriptions. Makes me wonder if they consider that novel completely non-canon now, in all honesty.

> @"Tyson.5160" said:

> I have to admit, remember one of the critiques with Zhaitan back in release, that although dealing with him throughout the story, we never saw him until the end. I think they are doing a good job with showing lots of Kralkatorrik, even maiming his eye. It really shows this Elder Dragon is built like a tank. Two assassination attempts have failed already.

Forgot about the attempt on his life in Edge of Destiny too.

> @"Fenom.9457" said:

> Man, what the hell can we do now? And is there one more episode about this, 1 more in S4? or will S5 also be kralk?

There's most definitely more episodes. They do this, Holidays come along and they focus on festivities before jump-starting Living World arcs. Think of it like your favorite television shows that take a month or so hiatus. Same thing really. I just wonder if we'll see the next episode in two weeks or they're lengthening the time somewhat.

Well... the ending was fully expected, really. I wasn't 100% sure they would kill her, but I wasn't exactly shocked either. The whole point of the bit in Episode 4 was to show that this outcome was inevitable. The fact that Glint was pushing her forward anyway meant that Glint had somehow seen past Aurene's death to a means of defeating Kraalkatorik. So, don't worry about Aurene. Give her a few days to get back on her feet.

> @"perilisk.1874" said:

> The fact that Glint was pushing her forward anyway meant that Glint had somehow seen past Aurene's death to a means of defeating Kraalkatorik.

If this was the case, however, Glint is an even bigger liar than we believed:

> Glint: I am not yet prepared to face the Elder Dragon—and distressingly, I cannot see beyond the coming battle.

> Glint: Is it because I die? I can't die without finishing my work. I have to stop Kralkatorrik.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Crystalline_Memories

Lying to the point of lying to her magical journal for us to find, believe she couldn't foresee anything more, and plot out the entirety of Season 4.

> @"Konig Des Todes.2086" said:

> > @"perilisk.1874" said:

> > The fact that Glint was pushing her forward anyway meant that Glint had somehow seen past Aurene's death to a means of defeating Kraalkatorik.

>

> If this was the case, however, Glint is an even bigger liar than we believed:

>

> > Glint: I am not yet prepared to face the Elder Dragon—and distressingly, I cannot see beyond the coming battle.

> > Glint: Is it because I die? I can't die without finishing my work. I have to stop Kralkatorrik.

> https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Crystalline_Memories

>

> Lying to the point of lying to her magical journal for us to find, believe she couldn't foresee anything more, and plot out the entirety of Season 4.

Well, someone is foreseeing things, anyway, based on what Ogden said. If not Glint, there's another prophet out there. Probably another of Kraalkatorik's line, considering it seems to run in the blood. Or crystals. Or whatever.

> @"perilisk.1874" said:

> > @"Konig Des Todes.2086" said:

> > > @"perilisk.1874" said:

> > > The fact that Glint was pushing her forward anyway meant that Glint had somehow seen past Aurene's death to a means of defeating Kraalkatorik.

> >

> > If this was the case, however, Glint is an even bigger liar than we believed:

> >

> > > Glint: I am not yet prepared to face the Elder Dragon—and distressingly, I cannot see beyond the coming battle.

> > > Glint: Is it because I die? I can't die without finishing my work. I have to stop Kralkatorrik.

> > https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Crystalline_Memories

> >

> > Lying to the point of lying to her magical journal for us to find, believe she couldn't foresee anything more, and plot out the entirety of Season 4.

>

> Well, someone is foreseeing things, anyway, based on what Ogden said. If not Glint, there's another prophet out there. Probably another of Kraalkatorik's line, considering it seems to run in the blood. Or crystals. Or whatever.

So I posted this on an older topic, with the discovery that Kralkatorrik also has prophetic visions, is that his second magical sphere of influence? Seems to be an ability only native to Kralkatorrik and his kin.

> @"Tyson.5160" said:

> > @"perilisk.1874" said:

> > > @"Konig Des Todes.2086" said:

> > > > @"perilisk.1874" said:

> > > > The fact that Glint was pushing her forward anyway meant that Glint had somehow seen past Aurene's death to a means of defeating Kraalkatorik.

> > >

> > > If this was the case, however, Glint is an even bigger liar than we believed:

> > >

> > > > Glint: I am not yet prepared to face the Elder Dragon—and distressingly, I cannot see beyond the coming battle.

> > > > Glint: Is it because I die? I can't die without finishing my work. I have to stop Kralkatorrik.

> > > https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Crystalline_Memories

> > >

> > > Lying to the point of lying to her magical journal for us to find, believe she couldn't foresee anything more, and plot out the entirety of Season 4.

> >

> > Well, someone is foreseeing things, anyway, based on what Ogden said. If not Glint, there's another prophet out there. Probably another of Kraalkatorik's line, considering it seems to run in the blood. Or crystals. Or whatever.

>

> So I posted this on an older topic, with the discovery that Kralkatorrik also has prophetic visions, is that his second magical sphere of influence? Seems to be an ability only native to Kralkatorrik and his kin.

Makes sense after all psychics use a _crystal_ ball.

And out of all of the elder dragons including Mordremoth, Kralk foresaw that there was peace among everyone without him? Was it just without him? As in Zhaitain and Mordremoth were fine or they plus Kralk? As in the other three remaining are fine? That whole portion just seemed really random to me. Like, Kralk just seemed like this endlessly hungering thing without much motive to me and now he's this evil prophetic mastermind or something? And this ascending stuff? I'll feel a lot better about this entire plot in 4 months I guess. Or 5. Or whatever amount of months they decide to go with this time for unforeseen problems. Just getting really tired of the cliffhangers so I hope the next finale has kind of a subtle hint and not a, "Oh no, a favorite character might be dead or might not be.. find out in 4 months when we start the next living story season!"

I'm also really hoping they don't drag Kralk out for another living season, but I don't know how they will just suddenly wrap up Kralk in the next episode without bringing Aurene back, which I hope they do.

Here's to hoping it's a much shorter wait this time. They've got lunar new year and then what? Super adventure box in April? So maybe we'll get it in between?

> @"perilisk.1874" said:

> Well... the ending was fully expected, really. I wasn't 100% sure they would kill her, but I wasn't exactly shocked either. The whole point of the bit in Episode 4 was to show that this outcome was inevitable. The fact that Glint was pushing her forward anyway meant that Glint had somehow seen past Aurene's death to a means of defeating Kraalkatorik. So, don't worry about Aurene. Give her a few days to get back on her feet.

And did Glint forsee her death? I can't remember. Or did her visions just stop at a certain point and she reached the conclusion that she died? Because if she didn't forsee it and Aurene did, then perhaps that's a hint that she isn't finished yet, because she doesn't actually die?

My prediction is the next step is going to hinge on Glint taking Aurene aside to explain Ascension - Which is linked more to the Gods and Forgotten than dragons, so there's some kind of cooperation or great plan going on here we're not privy to - Especially since it was a story point that Ascension had stopped because the Gods left.

It's either that or Aurene eating Joko.

Either way it still leaves the fact we clearly still do not have the power to take Kralkatorrik on.