very misleading how outfits in the gemstore are of

better quality than when you own them i have everything on max and armors are always shinier and more detailed than when they are actually on me same with some effects like winters presence it has way more effects in the preview than on your actual person. I've actually bought stuff off the gem store (outfits) and where disappointed/annoyed/ mad even that it doesn't reflect what you see in the store fix this please.

i wouldn't call it "misleading"... but more "programming limitations"... if u have mistlock santuary pass, and go there, everything looks good and like preview cuz it's a newly made zone and the lighting is optimal.

anything in core and season 1 maps... look worse cuz the graphics dont match the newer maps' graphics

also in some lighting ur dye changes colour ... like here, my bootiful BLUE sky~~net~~scale becomes puke green... which is annoying, but i guess they're trying to make it realistic?

![](https://i.imgur.com/gkRLoaz.jpg "")

my settings are as high as they go so that shouldn't be a factor for me and even with the default dye's its the same issue lighting however i can see changing it somewhat but that shouldn't have anything to do with texture / particle quality reduction

> @"Samnang.1879" said:

> i wouldn't call it "misleading"... but more "programming limitations"... if u have mistlock santuary pass, and go there, everything looks good and like preview cuz it's a newly made zone and the lighting is optimal.

>

> anything in core and season 1 maps... look worse cuz the graphics dont match the newer maps' graphics

>

> also in some lighting ur dye changes colour ... like here, my bootiful BLUE sky~~net~~scale becomes puke green... which is annoying, but i guess they're trying to make it realistic?

>

> ![](https://i.imgur.com/gkRLoaz.jpg "")

>

hmm maybe you're on to something so if im in the pvp area (old graphics) its not going to look as good as in pof? i guess that makes sense but thats still bad, i can understand not redoing all textures for old content but a new outfit should always look good as advertised no matter where i am core/pvp/hot/pof

> @"BlueJin.4127" said:

> Like this?

>

> https://ibb.co/eKB1Fz

>

yes pretty much all the luster is lost and i feel like the preview is much more detailed even in that photo but yes spot on

also take a look at winters presence the shoulder armor in preview look how dense it is then equip it and notice the lack of particle density

> @"Shadow Dragon.1469" said:

>but a new outfit should always look good as advertised no matter where i am core/pvp/hot/pof

You paid for an outfit with certain textures, light maps, and specularity maps, and shaders attached to it. Those are *always* on the outfit, no matter where you are. When you are in an older map those are still present on the outfit, but the map simply is not using some of them, or using them in a different way. Which is to be expected considering this game came out 7 years ago, started development many years before that, and most of it's team's resources are spent on new content and balancing.

In any game with dynamic lighting, how a character looks is subject to the environment. So you got what you paid for.

> @"DietPepsi.4371" said:

> > @"Shadow Dragon.1469" said:

> >but a new outfit should always look good as advertised no matter where i am core/pvp/hot/pof

>

> You paid for an outfit with certain textures, light maps, and specularity maps, and shaders attached to it. Those are *always* on the outfit, no matter where you are. When you are in an older map those are still present on the outfit, but the map simply is not using some of them, or using them in a different way. Which is to be expected considering this game came out 7 years ago, started development many years before that, and most of it's team's resources are spent on new content and balancing.

>

> In any game with dynamic lighting, how a character looks is subject to the environment. So you got what you paid for.

>

>

not really if they wanted to be non misleading in this sense they should have the preview reflect whatever environment you are currently in, NOT what it could look like in the best conditions. they can do that much.

still no one is responding to the particle side of the issue. my winters presence example is an easy tell, i understand you have to have it to actually check it though....

> @"Obtena.7952" said:

> It's no different than dyes ... the almost never look like the preview.

ironically dyes always look fine to me lol

> @"Khisanth.2948" said:

> I guess reality is misleading as well ... because things will look different under different lighting conditions.

>

> Which is something some clothing stores take advantage of ...

odd i go to the store buy a shirt looks the same anywhere i go textures dont change it may appear darker at night but the quality and everything is still there i buy a car it pretty much always looks the same except when dirty so nah.

> > @"BlueJin.4127" said:

> > Like this?

> >

> > https://ibb.co/eKB1Fz

> >

>

> yes pretty much all the luster is lost and i feel like the preview is much more detailed even in that photo but yes spot on

>

> also take a look at winters presence the shoulder armor in preview look how dense it is then equip it and notice the lack of particle density

Exactly. Winters presence looks amazing in the preview window...there is TWICE as much snow effects vs actually effects in the real world...a huge pet-peeve of mine!

> @"Mouse.7382" said:

> > @"Shadow Dragon.1469" said:

> > > @"BlueJin.4127" said:

> > > Like this?

> > >

> > > https://ibb.co/eKB1Fz

> > >

> >

> > yes pretty much all the luster is lost and i feel like the preview is much more detailed even in that photo but yes spot on

> >

> > also take a look at winters presence the shoulder armor in preview look how dense it is then equip it and notice the lack of particle density

>

> Exactly. Winters presence looks amazing in the preview window...there is TWICE as much snow effects vs actually effects in the real world...a huge pet-peeve of mine!

That one is actually a bug. Also occurs with Nightfury. IIRC there is a way to cause it to have more and more snow/bats until the whole preview window is full of them while murdering your FPS at the same time.

> > @"Khisanth.2948" said:

> > I guess reality is misleading as well ... because things will look different under different lighting conditions.

> >

> > Which is something some clothing stores take advantage of ...

>

> odd i go to the store buy a shirt looks the same anywhere i go textures dont change it may appear darker at night but the quality and everything is still there i buy a car it pretty much always looks the same except when dirty so nah.

Buy a shirt made of cotton or polyester in a plain colour or matte pattern and yeah it will look the same in pretty much any lighting. Buy a dress made of some shimmering material, metallic fabric or covered in sequins and the lighting makes a huge difference (and believe me you'll pay a lot more for it than for the shirt).

Not dissimilar to the complaints in this topic and elsewhere on this forum where it's metal and metallic parts of armour which look different under different lighting and which change the effect of dyes, while cloth generally dyes in the 'true' colour. (There's also similar complaints about leather reacting to dyes oddly, because it's leather and just like in real life it tends to dull the colour slightly.)

Then there's the time the entire internet blew up over whether a dress was [black and blue or white and gold](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_dress "black and blue or white and gold ") based on a photo and a combination of different people's perception and the devices they were using to look at it.

> @"Khisanth.2948" said:

> > @"Mouse.7382" said:

> > > @"Shadow Dragon.1469" said:

> > > > @"BlueJin.4127" said:

> > > > Like this?

> > > >

> > > > https://ibb.co/eKB1Fz

> > > >

> > >

> > > yes pretty much all the luster is lost and i feel like the preview is much more detailed even in that photo but yes spot on

> > >

> > > also take a look at winters presence the shoulder armor in preview look how dense it is then equip it and notice the lack of particle density

> >

> > Exactly. Winters presence looks amazing in the preview window...there is TWICE as much snow effects vs actually effects in the real world...a huge pet-peeve of mine!

>

> That one is actually a bug. Also occurs with Nightfury. IIRC there is a way to cause it to have more and more snow/bats until the whole preview window is full of them while murdering your FPS at the same time.

It looks glorious, that bug is quite pretty if it is.

> @"Mouse.7382" said:

> > > @"Mouse.7382" said:

> > > > @"Shadow Dragon.1469" said:

> > > > > @"BlueJin.4127" said:

> > > > > Like this?

> > > > >

> > > > > https://ibb.co/eKB1Fz

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > yes pretty much all the luster is lost and i feel like the preview is much more detailed even in that photo but yes spot on

> > > >

> > > > also take a look at winters presence the shoulder armor in preview look how dense it is then equip it and notice the lack of particle density

> > >

> > > Exactly. Winters presence looks amazing in the preview window...there is TWICE as much snow effects vs actually effects in the real world...a huge pet-peeve of mine!

> >

> > That one is actually a bug. Also occurs with Nightfury. IIRC there is a way to cause it to have more and more snow/bats until the whole preview window is full of them while murdering your FPS at the same time.

>

> It looks glorious, that bug is quite pretty if it is.

Sometimes maybe. There have been times where I had to take if off while previewing something because I couldn't see anything through the snow/bats.

Edit: On second thought ... ANET!!! Give us an Endless Bat Swarm Combat Tonic for Halloween this year.

> @"Mouse.7382" said:

> > > @"Mouse.7382" said:

> > > > @"Shadow Dragon.1469" said:

> > > > > @"BlueJin.4127" said:

> > > > > Like this?

> > > > >

> > > > > https://ibb.co/eKB1Fz

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > yes pretty much all the luster is lost and i feel like the preview is much more detailed even in that photo but yes spot on

> > > >

> > > > also take a look at winters presence the shoulder armor in preview look how dense it is then equip it and notice the lack of particle density

> > >

> > > Exactly. Winters presence looks amazing in the preview window...there is TWICE as much snow effects vs actually effects in the real world...a huge pet-peeve of mine!

> >

> > That one is actually a bug. Also occurs with Nightfury. IIRC there is a way to cause it to have more and more snow/bats until the whole preview window is full of them while murdering your FPS at the same time.

>

> It looks glorious, that bug is quite pretty if it is.

Yes. it's because you're already wearing shoulders when you preview so the bug applies the skin's effect twice. try previewing it without shoulder armor equipped. now for bonus points, if you really wanna see glorious, preview it with shoulder armor on, then (make sure to leave the preview panel open for this part) right click WP and select remove preview. now preview it again. then remove it again. repeat until you've layered yourself into a walking whiteout blizzard. :) now THAT is glorious!

> > I guess reality is misleading as well ... because things will look different under different lighting conditions.

> >

> > Which is something some clothing stores take advantage of ...

>

> odd i go to the store buy a shirt looks the same anywhere i go textures dont change it may appear darker at night but the quality and everything is still there i buy a car it pretty much always looks the same except when dirty so nah.

Jewelry stores do too. Everything will sparkle far more there than almost anywhere else.