Would you like to play Season 1 again?

I feel bad for the folks who didn't get to play it, but for the most part it was pretty lame. A few parts might be fun to do again (Marionette and Southsun settlement chief among them) but otherwise, no. The first release you had to run around some refugees fixing signs and then wait a few weeks for something else. Yeah....

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's really long past time for them to reformat it and get it back in. They can do it, they just have to make it a priority put some effort into it. They need to, though - the game really suffers from having this giant hole in the story that players can't experience, including the introduction of all the major characters that have been used since.

Moreover, it would be an opportunity to make systemic improvements to improve future LW episodes - for example, having multiple versions of the same map reflecting different time periods.

Yes please, for a game that relies so much on lore and story, it would be amazing to replay it again, and for the new players, it is so much important to bridge the content between the personal story and and LS2.

However the most important question is not to know if it should be reimplemented but rather in what format shoud it be brought back.

My top pick would be guild missions personally (or raid with story mode option).

I'd love to, since I wasn't around when it was available. The recap video available on youtube does a fantastic job on filling in what I missed, but it would still be nice if I got to experience it personally.

...but I fully understand why it isn't feasible that they bring back Season One as it was implemented back then.

> @"Batel.9206" said:

> I'd love to, since I wasn't around when it was available. The recap video available on youtube does a fantastic job on filling in what I missed, but it would still be nice if I got to experience it personally.

>

> ...but I fully understand why it isn't feasible that they bring back Season One as it was implemented back then.

Pretty much this. At least have a proper in-garment recap for those who missed it.

I've always preferred the idea of fractal raids. They don't have to be raid difficulties - they can be tiered like fractals, but the 10-man size gives more scope for things like Ancient Karka, Marionette and Breachmaker from LS1 plus other ideas they could bring in. I appreciate they'd need more time and resources and probably rework the set up to allow for an all new fractal type, but it would prob be worth it

Ideally, it would have been nice to play it after the core story, yes (I didn't start GW2 until late 2016), but I don’t think it would be worth the amount of work it sounds like it would take to implement. Perhaps the best option would be to expand the recap? I didn’t feel like I knew any of the characters and largely as a result of that, had a reeeally hard time getting into LWS2. Plus, I had no idea Taimi had health issues until the episode in LWS4, which felt out of nowhere since I don’t recall it ever having been mentioned (but I’m told it was in LWS1).

> @"Game of Bones.8975" said:

> I missed playing Season 1 because I wasn't sure if GW2 would last honestly. Now that content is locked for everyone. Is there a way for characters to begin in Season 1 and transition after that story-line much like Pre-Searing in GW1?

I just finished watching two separate videos about Season 1 with clips and dialogue, and I forgot so much of that. It is amazing how obvious all the events of HoT become through the lense of Season 1. I would love to play it again, but at the same time I don't know that it would be an enjoyable chapter. So much of the instances were just conversations happening with other characters without our interaction having to do with it. All the events were major world events taking multiple people. It would be a raid at minimum to recreate most of the parts. To do it solo I can't imagine how to do it justice.

Been there done that. I recall a lot of complaining from the community about season 1. Scarlet bad this, Scarlet bad that. Content too fast, content too slow. Maybe gw2 has crossed that magic line into nostalgia. Season 1 was ok, just ok. The exception was the voice acting for Scarlet. She was charming in a Harlequin like way.

> @"Brother.1504" said:

> Been there done that. I recall a lot of complaining from the community about season 1. Scarlet bad this, Scarlet bad that. Content too fast, content too slow. Maybe gw2 has crossed that magic line into nostalgia. Season 1 was ok, just ok. The exception was the voice acting for Scarlet. She was charming in a Harlequin like way.

How much of the complaining was just new game bugs and how much was constructive criticism?

I said No due to it being a huge problem to bring back. We got some parts of it back as fractals. Which may be the way most of LS1 is brought back, but things like the Marionette battle requires a map que's worth of fighters like Teq or TT, and the defend/reclaim Lion's Arch needed coordinated teams of players .

The Marionette could be rebuilt as a hard World boss, added to the rotation with Karka/Teq/TT.

Defending/Reclaiming LA almost needs to have a new instance made like the Raid lobby,

> @"Game of Bones.8975" said:

> > @"Brother.1504" said:

> > Been there done that. I recall a lot of complaining from the community about season 1. Scarlet bad this, Scarlet bad that. Content too fast, content too slow. Maybe gw2 has crossed that magic line into nostalgia. Season 1 was ok, just ok. The exception was the voice acting for Scarlet. She was charming in a Harlequin like way.

>

> How much of the complaining was just new game bugs and how much was constructive criticism?

It was a near universal tearing down of the structure of the season. There was virtually no story and we had a minimal of instances over the 15 months so that caused enough frustration that Anet had to come out and and say they would make changes, bring in some story and to bear with them as there would be a pay off. Back to back festivals didn't help. Scarlet was a dreadfully written character who albeit had potential, was basically this supremely all powerful villain who came out of nowhere, with no backstory (at the time) or understandable motivation and engineering abilities the combined nations of the World could not conceive.

The main criticism came about the temporary nature. It was not well received from day one and I maintain LS1 did more damage to the population of the game than any other part of the games history - players just couldn't keep up with the extremely rapid schedule and being asked to constantly log in if they didn't want to miss out on even the miniscule amount of story or content they were fed. People were frustrated enough just to up and leave.

Even the devs were frustrated as noted by the dungeon team that existed getting annoyed by having 3 of their dungeons made and then torn down a few weeks later. Only Twilight Arbor path 4 survived. I can only imagine having all that time and effort essentially being wasted.

Although a lot was constructive, it is one of the very very few times the loud whining and moaning was actually justified, unfortunately it just steamrolled. One has to remember though, the devs themselves were not the ones at fault here. It was clear how hard they worked under demanding deadlines and a constant desire from above to keep innovating. I'd like to think most players understood this.

> How much of the complaining was just new game bugs and how much was constructive criticism?

As always, a mix of both.

Some people loved the story, hated the gameplay. Some the opposite. Some loved the main Villain, some hated her. Some loved the open world aspects; some preferred the "dungeons" (instanced story bits).

Some of the deep love is rose-colored nostalgia. And some of the hate is, too.

> @"Liston.9708" said:

> Not sure how one would replay a season that was mostly group content..

Some of the people who most desperately want LS1 back have posted extensively on how much of it took place for small groups, rather than open world.

To me, that's also an inaccurate portrayal because it was a mix. LS1 included open world individual tasks, epic battles (what we now call "meta events"), and instanced stories.

Used to play ls1 but during that period was in exams and only a few hours per day to play it, surely missed half the achievment points, ap that was a real ap shower at that time. Many memorable moments, marionette, miasmas and evacuation in LA, the knights, nightmare tower, molten invasions, ahh and the breachmaker with the awesome theme song. The thing I miss really is the destroyed old la with the lasers, flame, storm clouds. A real feel of despair and menace, always having to attack the breachmaker or retreating outside. I liked a lot that push forward/retreat mechanic, they kinda kinda reintroduced it with dragonfall conquest of the map.