New Mount Ability - [Merged]

> @"Teratus.2859" said:

> Woohoo :D

>

> I would have preferred an Underwater exclusive mount but still im happy we'll finally have a mount that is usuable underwater ^^ it's been long overdue.

>

> Now all we need are some additional upgrades to underwater combat, more usable skills and a few new weapon kits to flesh out the build diversity options there and it'll be perfect ^^

>

> I have to wonder though.

> Why this ability and why now?

> Why was Skimmer chosen rather than a new mount?

>

> It might be a long shot but could we possibly be getting a new map that is largely water based in the near future?..

> Skimmer pretty much gurantees that everyone with PoF will have access to an underwater mount now.. reasoning for why they didn't make a new mount for this ability.

> And since we'll all have an underwater mount travel speeds are not going to be an issue either which they currently are with underwater content.

>

> We know Cantha is coming so maybe this answers the question on how we get there.. we swim/ ride skimmers to it xD

Yeah it could be related to upcoming maps, but unless the new expac gives PoF away with it, that seems a gate too far for newer players.

I think given it's the anniversary, it's just a nice, cool thing they added based on old feedback

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> "...complete a new collection to unlock the Skimming the Depths mastery..."

> Wonder what it will entail, and which Mastery Points it will use; likely PoF Mastery Points, I would guess.

I was wondering this as well. It would make sense for an extended mount skill to be PoF, though I hope they add in a few more ways to get points to help those who aren't already swimming in them (I see what I did there). For the record, I have plenty of MP in everything but IBS, so personally I'm set if it's PoF and has consistent point costs with other masteries but I know there are plenty of players who have trouble scrounging up the points.

> @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> "...complete a new collection to unlock the Skimming the Depths mastery..."

> Wonder what it will entail, and which Mastery Points it will use; likely PoF Mastery Points, I would guess.

That's what I'm worried about. Yet another collection.

> @"Donari.5237" said:

> Hmm, another possible concern. Sometimes you want to stay hovering while skimming over fluid. For example, Desolation sulfur would be unpleasant to dip into. I wonder how much control the player will have over hover/dive modes.

Yes, I will be very curious to see if/how they handle that side of things with the quicksand!

> @"Omnicron.2467" said:

> Seems it is an underwater skimmer! From what I can tell it will be available for anyone who gets the mastery, and not as a birthday present for specific players

> https://www.pcgamer.com/guild-wars-2s-skimmer-mounts-are-going-underwater/?fbclid=IwAR3PKwBlVkUscmBZHzMQAfMcVgMfAoCTVFWBjsbvtIT9MyUFGjRZhRP38-s

:o :o :o I don't believe it! My poor hummingbird. I wonder how they'll handle that animation....

Maybe, @"Julischka Bean.7491" . I bet the infusion value takes a dive, though. Pun intended!

> @"Donari.5237" said:

> Hmm, another possible concern. Sometimes you want to stay hovering while skimming over fluid. For example, Desolation sulfur would be unpleasant to dip into. I wonder how much control the player will have over hover/dive modes.

My guess is it'll work like diving. Quicksand and sulfur have a surface for your character to walk on so it'd be impossible to dive into it.

> @"Randulf.7614" said:

> > @"Teratus.2859" said:

> > Woohoo :D

> >

> > I would have preferred an Underwater exclusive mount but still im happy we'll finally have a mount that is usuable underwater ^^ it's been long overdue.

> >

> > Now all we need are some additional upgrades to underwater combat, more usable skills and a few new weapon kits to flesh out the build diversity options there and it'll be perfect ^^

> >

> > I have to wonder though.

> > Why this ability and why now?

> > Why was Skimmer chosen rather than a new mount?

> >

> > It might be a long shot but could we possibly be getting a new map that is largely water based in the near future?..

> > Skimmer pretty much gurantees that everyone with PoF will have access to an underwater mount now.. reasoning for why they didn't make a new mount for this ability.

> > And since we'll all have an underwater mount travel speeds are not going to be an issue either which they currently are with underwater content.

> >

> > We know Cantha is coming so maybe this answers the question on how we get there.. we swim/ ride skimmers to it xD

>

> Yeah it could be related to upcoming maps, but unless the new expac gives PoF away with it, that seems a gate too far for newer players.

>

> I think given it's the anniversary, it's just a nice, cool thing they added based on old feedback

I was thinking more about upcoming maps in the Icebrood Saga since you need PoF to be able to access the current living world content anyway so it's kind of impossible to not have at least the Raptor, Springer and Skimmer mounts if you're playing current content.

I havent played the last 2 episodes so im not up to speed on the newest story so far but I expect at some point during Icebrood Saga or another living world season after it Anet will start driving the story into setting up the next Xpac, possibly with some maps that have large areas of water, like islands or coastal regions.

I think a good number of people are speculating the Sea Dragon will be involved in the next Xpac or at least will be coming into the story at some point soon which I kinda hope it does myself personally, I'm very much looking forward to finally seeing that thing.

Underwater combat is still lacking though but now we have a mount coming that can go there the big mobility problem is finally being fixed.

If we can get some more weapon kits for each class and some more usable utilities and elites, Underwater combat will be perfect.

I'm not going to get my expectations up but I really do hope that Anet is planning to improve the underwater combat before the next expansion and I do hope at least 1 high water content map is planned for the game as well.

Gw2 really does have probably the best water combat system in any MMO to date.. and it's such a massive shame that for 8 years they have not taken full advantage of it and fleshed it out to do so.

It deserves more TLC imo.

> @"Teratus.2859" said:

> Woohoo :D

>

> I would have preferred an Underwater exclusive mount but still im happy we'll finally have a mount that is usuable underwater ^^ it's been long overdue.

>

> Now all we need are some additional upgrades to underwater combat, more usable skills and a few new weapon kits to flesh out the build diversity options there and it'll be perfect ^^

>

> I have to wonder though.

> Why this ability and why now?

> Why was Skimmer chosen rather than a new mount?

>

> It might be a long shot but could we possibly be getting a new map that is largely water based in the near future?..

> Skimmer pretty much gurantees that everyone with PoF will have access to an underwater mount now.. reasoning for why they didn't make a new mount for this ability.

> And since we'll all have an underwater mount travel speeds are not going to be an issue either which they currently are with underwater content.

>

> We know Cantha is coming so maybe this answers the question on how we get there.. we swim/ ride skimmers to it xD

Yeah, I was really hoping underwater would get it's own mount.

Feels weird to add underwater to a mount that was not indicated at all previously to be aquatic (and no, looking similar to a manta ray does not mean it is aquatic)

And there is very clearly non-aquatic skins for it too. How is my hummingbird supposed to function underwater?

They would have had much better design and mechanic options with a new mount instead of just tacking it onto skimmer like a poor afterthought. And if they didn't want to wait for the next expansion to add it, they could have been attached to the core game, using core mastery points, as it isn't used to progress in any story instances.

> @"Mewcifer.5198" said:

> > @"Teratus.2859" said:

> > Woohoo :D

> >

> > I would have preferred an Underwater exclusive mount but still im happy we'll finally have a mount that is usuable underwater ^^ it's been long overdue.

> >

> > Now all we need are some additional upgrades to underwater combat, more usable skills and a few new weapon kits to flesh out the build diversity options there and it'll be perfect ^^

> >

> > I have to wonder though.

> > Why this ability and why now?

> > Why was Skimmer chosen rather than a new mount?

> >

> > It might be a long shot but could we possibly be getting a new map that is largely water based in the near future?..

> > Skimmer pretty much gurantees that everyone with PoF will have access to an underwater mount now.. reasoning for why they didn't make a new mount for this ability.

> > And since we'll all have an underwater mount travel speeds are not going to be an issue either which they currently are with underwater content.

> >

> > We know Cantha is coming so maybe this answers the question on how we get there.. we swim/ ride skimmers to it xD

>

> Yeah, I was really hoping underwater would get it's own mount.

> Feels weird to add underwater to a mount that was not indicated at all previously to be aquatic (and no, looking similar to a manta ray does not mean it is aquatic)

> And there is very clearly non-aquatic skins for it too. How is my hummingbird supposed to function underwater?

>

> They would have had much better design and mechanic options with a new mount instead of just tacking it onto skimmer like a poor afterthought. And if they didn't want to wait for the next expansion to add it, they could have been attached to the core game, using core mastery points, as it isn't used to progress in any story instances.

I've been in favour of adding mounts to the core game mastery system myself.. Warclaw being the main one as it could serve as a great end game goal for core players as well as incentive to try WvW.

It'll also make a great starter mount as well until people reach PoF, allowing them to somewhat keep up with mounted players running events in core world etc.

But yeah adding it onto the Skimmer does feel more like an after-thought.. and yea underwater hummingbirds are going to be really silly xD

I never much liked the premium mount skins because of how they sometimes changed an entire species of mount into something else.

Hummingbird Skimmer, Pegasus Griffon, Lizard Springger, Deer Jackel.. to name some of the worst offenders of this.

At least the Peacok Raptor still is in some way a Raptor.. and the Lion Griffon has some merit too as there are depictions of winged Lion-headed Griffon creatures though usually depicted with talons for forelimbs.. in ways it's like a Hybrid between a Griffon and a Manticore.. minus the scorpion tail naturally :)

Thankfully at least both the premium Skyscales are both still Dragons.. one more European style and the other more Joko got wasted one night and made that abomination! style xD

At least the demonic Skimmer is still a skimmer I guess, but yeah hummingbird one really does make this feel like an after-thought lol

> @"Teratus.2859" said:

> > @"Mewcifer.5198" said:

> > > @"Teratus.2859" said:

> > > Woohoo :D

> > >

> > > I would have preferred an Underwater exclusive mount but still im happy we'll finally have a mount that is usuable underwater ^^ it's been long overdue.

> > >

> > > Now all we need are some additional upgrades to underwater combat, more usable skills and a few new weapon kits to flesh out the build diversity options there and it'll be perfect ^^

> > >

> > > I have to wonder though.

> > > Why this ability and why now?

> > > Why was Skimmer chosen rather than a new mount?

> > >

> > > It might be a long shot but could we possibly be getting a new map that is largely water based in the near future?..

> > > Skimmer pretty much gurantees that everyone with PoF will have access to an underwater mount now.. reasoning for why they didn't make a new mount for this ability.

> > > And since we'll all have an underwater mount travel speeds are not going to be an issue either which they currently are with underwater content.

> > >

> > > We know Cantha is coming so maybe this answers the question on how we get there.. we swim/ ride skimmers to it xD

> >

> > Yeah, I was really hoping underwater would get it's own mount.

> > Feels weird to add underwater to a mount that was not indicated at all previously to be aquatic (and no, looking similar to a manta ray does not mean it is aquatic)

> > And there is very clearly non-aquatic skins for it too. How is my hummingbird supposed to function underwater?

> >

> > They would have had much better design and mechanic options with a new mount instead of just tacking it onto skimmer like a poor afterthought. And if they didn't want to wait for the next expansion to add it, they could have been attached to the core game, using core mastery points, as it isn't used to progress in any story instances.

>

> I've been in favour of adding mounts to the core game mastery system myself.. Warclaw being the main one as it could serve as a great end game goal for core players as well as incentive to try WvW.

> It'll also make a great starter mount as well until people reach PoF, allowing them to somewhat keep up with mounted players running events in core world etc.

>

> But yeah adding it onto the Skimmer does feel more like an after-thought.. and yea underwater hummingbirds are going to be really silly xD

> I never much liked the premium mount skins because of how they sometimes changed an entire species of mount into something else.

> Hummingbird Skimmer, Pegasus Griffon, Lizard Springger, Deer Jackel.. to name some of the worst offenders of this.

>

> At least the Peacok Raptor still is in some way a Raptor.. and the Lion Griffon has some merit too as there are depictions of winged Lion-headed Griffon creatures though usually depicted with talons for forelimbs.. in ways it's like a Hybrid between a Griffon and a Manticore.. minus the scorpion tail naturally :)

> Thankfully at least both the premium Skyscales are both still Dragons.. one more European style and the other more Joko got wasted one night and made that abomination! style xD

>

> At least the demonic Skimmer is still a skimmer I guess, but yeah hummingbird one really does make this feel like an after-thought lol

Don’t forget the armadillo roller beetle. LOVE that one!

> @"Discobizkit.6531" said:

> Is this 8th anniversary of account or individual toon? Most of my toons are only 5 years old after quitting the fall of launch.

It wont come in your mail box so have nothing to do with character birthday mate.

They just confused people by having it in the same section as anniversary section and talked about your charcters birthday first.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/looking-ahead-to-summer-days-and-nights/

> @"Konrad Curze.5130" said:

> I cant wait to get it, use it for 10 secs tops, remember why I have stayed the hell away from any underwater content for the last 5 years , and never look back

>

> P.S: if Cantha has a lot of UW content Im nopenopenoping all the way to New World. Not gonna spend a red cent on that

It's unlikely to have a lot of underwater content. ArenaNet pretty much abandoned underwater content back in, what was it, 2013 or 2014 when they dropped the underwater weapons from black lion sets. It's been years since we've seen a new underwater skin (apart from ascended recolours) and the expansions and LS seasons since have had negligible underwater content.

This is a nice addition for map completion, I suppose. Good to have a faster method of traversing underwater areas.