What is...

> @"Head Kracker.4790" said:

> The name of a group of Skyscales?

> Its a flight of dragons

> a murder of crows

> a flock of Geese

> What's your thoughts on what a grouping of them should be?

>

> Is it a Breeze of Skyscales?

Didn't Taimi make a comment about a "Glory of Dragons." As in the grouping would be called a glory?

I've been told that the collective noun for dragons is a weyr, but I've never been able to find out if that pre-dates Anne McCaffery using the term or if it came from her books. (Which is annoying, because if it's the second one I'd like to know where she got it from.)

I think @"Bast.7253" is right that Taimi uses 'glory' as the collective noun.

Since collective nouns are descriptive terms for literature or poetry and not technical or scientific terms I'd say you can use whatever sounds best at the time. I like 'a flight of skyscales' but for the effect when there's lots of them in game I think 'a flurry of skyscales' would be more appropriate.

> @"Danikat.8537" said:

> I've been told that the collective noun for dragons is a weyr, but I've never been able to find out if that pre-dates Anne McCaffery using the term or if it came from her books. (Which is annoying, because if it's the second one I'd like to know where she got it from.)

>

> I think @"Bast.7253" is right that Taimi uses 'glory' as the collective noun.

>

> Since collective nouns are descriptive terms for literature or poetry and not technical or scientific terms I'd say you can use whatever sounds best at the time. I like 'a flight of skyscales' but for the effect when there's lots of them in game I think 'a flurry of skyscales' would be more appropriate.

For reference she made up the word, although I've read she liked the word 'eyrie' and that sort of shaped the word weyr

Basically her use of weyr for a collective of dragons is entirely made up for use in her stories and has no basis in anything else

> @"Randulf.7614" said:

> > @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > I've been told that the collective noun for dragons is a weyr, but I've never been able to find out if that pre-dates Anne McCaffery using the term or if it came from her books. (Which is annoying, because if it's the second one I'd like to know where she got it from.)

> >

> > I think @"Bast.7253" is right that Taimi uses 'glory' as the collective noun.

> >

> > Since collective nouns are descriptive terms for literature or poetry and not technical or scientific terms I'd say you can use whatever sounds best at the time. I like 'a flight of skyscales' but for the effect when there's lots of them in game I think 'a flurry of skyscales' would be more appropriate.

>

> For reference she made up the word, although I've read she liked the word 'eyrie' and that sort of shaped the word weyr

>

> Basically her use of weyr for a collective of dragons is entirely made up for use in her stories and has no basis in anything else

Thanks. That's what I suspected based on the limited research I've done on the subject.

It's surprisingly hard to use the internet to find out if a word was in use prior to the late 60's, but weyr is definitely one of the more common answers which comes up, right up there with "how can you have a collective noun for something that isn't even real?" (which goes to show the kind of people who frequent websites where collective nouns are discussed).

I don't have the books with me right now, so I can't get you all an exact quote, in the Inheritance Cycle, aka the Eragon series, it is said the collective noun for dragons is thunder becuase of the sound that their wings make while in flight. So a Thunder of Skyscales. Or as I like to call it, a Thundah! Ah ah hah hah! Sorry. Couldn't resist.