Shattering the Status Quo

Like many other build mechanics that rely on player choice (designed to be dynamic during fights), it as nearly always more efficient to just specialize your build in one of the choices and stick to that one (in case of mesmer : either shatter build, or phantasm build). Except that for mesmer it was even more obvious than for other professions.

It frustrated me back in 2012. I started playing my mesmer (2nd character I leveled, 1st if you count BWE1) and basically stuck to my (bad) staff build for years while I didn't care much about meta ... painfully ignoring all those nice-looking phantasms and the many related 15% traits only because I knew that I would have to keep them alive instead of shattering if I wanted to be kinda efficient. Until I decided to play group content properly (fractals, raids) and was then forced to go meta ... so phantasms it was (well in the meantime I also played shatter builds in pvp), and this until this using phantasms on Matthias 2 hours ago.

Those changes look promising and make me very happy. Finally able to shatter happily in pve without having to use a random inefficient build and without having to ignore a huge part of the profession (phantasms) just so I can keep using my favorite one (shatters). After all those years <3

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't forget to buff it so much that power burst mesmer not only continues being ridiculous, but becomes even stronger. Thanks!

I'm sure your balance team will do a bang up job...as demonstrated by the last balance patch where they felt mesmer confusion application needed a buff.

I'm a big fan of yours Robert. Bunker Chrono has me **squarely **in Platinum 2 right now, so I'm nervous how this will change my build. I've always been a big fan of P.Disenchanter as well which would need some serious modifications. Looking forward to testing these changes with Mirage though. I see power Mirage being buffed by this immensely in PvP which isn't a bad thing.

As a Mesmer enthusiast/purist, I'm concerned, scared, excited and hyped for this new era of the class. Ready up bois and gurlz!

I love such a positivism on those saying "imma go condi mirage" like you are forgetting we are till waiting for the "changes" to confusion which is the main source of dmg on condi mirage...... I just really wish our Friends in Anet Remember that in raids, bosses DONT attack that often (or at all, MO anyone?) as players in pvp, so whatever nerf you think to confusion, remember pve is a thing.

I like the general idea, particularly the part where you aren't encouraged to stack up Phantasms and avoid using clone skills. I do have two concerns though:

1. It said that Phantasms don't count as "illusions active," which means to me that casting a Phantasm while running a "keep as many clones up as possible" build might temporarily reduce my available clones? Or do they not remove an existing clone until after they replace it?

2. I definitely enjoy the "keep all the clones out" design more than the "shatter constantly" design, so while I see this as a positive step towards making clone DPS better, and giving players more attack options while clones are out, I hope that it doesn't discourage the traits and other options that benefit from having max clones up at all times.

I need more information on what aspect of the game these changes affect. The changes IMO seem out of nowhere when compared to other professions like Scourge, which has a very low skill ceiling (looking at you WvW) while mesmer has quite a moderate skill floor (New players to the game).

This makes me nervous as a Condi Mirage main. I do find the current playstyle super boring and prefer shatter builds, however I hope it doesn't lose out on any DPS.

If the new meta condi shatter build that comes out of this has similar DPS as I currently do, then I will be very happy. If it is underpowered, please buff it with small buffs sooner rather than later.

I'm very interested in this direction. I've popped in every once and awhile to back up threads wanting a massive overhaul of the Illusion system, but many of us were worried it would never happen at this point. I'm sure the change will initially be incredibly rough because of how large it is, but this will be good in the long run, because future updates will no longer have to worry about half the class' design fighting with the other half.

> @"Jojo.6140" said:

> Can someone explain why active gameplay is considered better than passive gameplay? Some people might enjoy a more laid-back and chilled gaming-experience, why would that be bad?

This is something that's bothered me with gaming in general right now. When MMOs first started experimenting with action-oriented stuff, I was behind it, but I feel like the industry as a whole has been pushing it too hard. Not everyone wants that or even _can_ keep up with it. A game that's too fast paced, to me, becomes hectic and stressful and no longer fun.

In this particular case, I'm okay with the idea because I think it's less "we didn't like players being able to play a laid back Mesmer" and more "we didn't want the optimal way to play the class to be counter-intuitive to its actual mechanics" which is another pet peeve of mine in modern game design (mistaking exploits or extreme min-maxing as healthy emergent gameplay). I wanted to weigh in about that anyway though, because I definitely think there should still be a more relaxed way to play if you so desire.

Here is a list of mesmer traits that could potentially change.

Chrono: Improved Alacrity, chronophantasma

Dueling: Phantasmal Fury

Domination: Empowered Illusions

Inspiration: Persisting Images, Protected Phantasms, Warden's feedback, Mental Defense, Illusionary Inspiration

Illusions: Persistence of Memory, Illusionist's celerity, phantasmal haste, phantasmal force

Having played as a Power Mesmer pretty much from launch, I'm pleasantly surprised by these upcoming changes. I've often only ever stuck to Shatter builds, so this suits my play-style really well. I'm already trying to imagine the timing I'll need in order to pull off a 3-Clone Mind Wrack that'll hit at the same time as an iZerker for maximum damage.

I totally get the idea behind wanting to move the class past a stagnant, sustained damage mechanic that never really worked as intended. I've always felt that Mesmers should be a high-skill level and explosive class and these changes just support that sentiment.

Now, when are we getting that main-hand pistol? :tongue: :wink:

I get the point, but ... does it really make any sense to do this when PvP builds are already clone/shatter builds and the highest PvE DPS builds is also a clone based one (which uses clones almost as if they were phantasms)?

A lot of traits and skills are going to need a change, and until we see those changes, it looks like the whole thing is actually going to be a buff for the most prevalent builds. It hits chrono on a PvE setting and little else.

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/13695/why-can-mesmers-insta-down-people/p9

That thread is 9 pages long. Is something being done about mesmers being able to instant down people with no counterplay? It's getting out of hand and really is no fun. I know of quite a few new players who stopped playing after running into this in WvW.

Everything should be able to be countered with skill and currently this can't.

This is probably mostly a nerf to pleb builds in PvE? Pretty sure this is a MAJOR buff for my playstyle on mirage and makes condi shatter and power shatter stronger. Surely you can cast a phantasm for just 1 attack, but now we get a FREE reset on that phantasm into a clone. In PvP/WvW my phantasm's don't last long anyway, so it won't really change much. So i guess the reset on phantasm after destroyed only helps to make things more confusing for the opponent.

> @"EvilSardine.9635" said:

> https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/13695/why-can-mesmers-insta-down-people/p9

>

> That thread is 9 pages long. Is something being done about mesmers being able to instant down people with no counterplay? It's getting out of hand and really is no fun. I know of quite a few new players who stopped playing after running into this in WvW.

>

> Everything should be able to be countered with skill and currently this can't.

You’re just plain wrong.