Very funny Arenanet.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Leo G.4501" said:

> He said something like "Arena Net want to keep [this] a secret" or something, the [this] being a link to something. WHAT IS THE SECRET LINK?

Not sure how long this post will stay up, so I hope you see this before any mod / Anet personnel.

>! [Here you go.](

"Here you go.")

I appreciate the humor but I'm REALLY bummed there is not an in game joke. The line about Revenants only being able to use their skills in the mists made me lol. I knew they had more underwater abilities somewhere!

BRING BACK THE STICK FIGURES!!!! There I feel a little better. Loved the paperclip btw.

> @"ratche.6204" said:

> > @"Tasida.4085" said:

> > The first April Fools in GW1 in 07 we logged in to find our gender had changed in towns (my ranger turned into an ugly bald male)......the 2nd year we we're all stick figures which drove everyone nuts in pvp.......Kind of hard to top those 2. Well done on Clippy Anet, glad to see the humor pushes on!!

>

> I liked the one where the minis were huge and we were miniature.

That was my favorite.

> @"Greener.6204" said:

> > @"Leo G.4501" said:

> > He said something like "Arena Net want to keep [this] a secret" or something, the [this] being a link to something. WHAT IS THE SECRET LINK?

>

> Not sure how long this post will stay up, so I hope you see this before any mod / Anet personnel.

> >! [Here you go.](

"Here you go.")

Oh, I love that...wasn't it part of last year's (or further back) prank/joke?

> @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> > @"Greener.6204" said:

> > > @"Leo G.4501" said:

> > > He said something like "Arena Net want to keep [this] a secret" or something, the [this] being a link to something. WHAT IS THE SECRET LINK?

> >

> > Not sure how long this post will stay up, so I hope you see this before any mod / Anet personnel.

> > >! [Here you go.](

"Here you go.")

>

> Oh, I love that...wasn't it part of last year's (or further back) prank/joke?

If so, they decided to go the devious route this time and put it in one of Clippy's comments but made the comment and link vanish faster making you wonder what the link was.

> @"Faaris.8013" said:

> edit: So I found it weird that the wiki admin who added clippy thought it's fitting April's Fool Day and tried to figure out why. Turns out it's a cultural difference! In Germany, you don't prank people on April's Fool Day, you tell fake stories and hoaxes and try to mislead someone into believing something that's not true. In the US, pranks are part of April's Fool Day, so Clippy on the wiki totally works there. The more you know...

I assume with “wiki admin who added clippy“ you are referring to me. In that case let me assure you that this was not my doing alone. This “prank” was organized by all of us wiki administrators. It was just me who had the job to hit the switch at the right moment.

As for cultural differences, I don’t know. It’s really a tradition of the Guild Wars community to do these kind of things. And it was never just fake stories; it has always been generally fun stuff.

> @"Leo G.4501" said:

> If so, they decided to go the devious route this time and put it in one of Clippy's comments but made the comment and link vanish faster making you wonder what the link was.

Hah! That was actually not the intended effect but makes it even better! :D

Does anyone have a video of the CLIPPY in action? I was able to get on the computer briefly this morning and saw CLIPPY but got no sounds with it. Now I'm back after a movie and a dinner and it seems to be gone from the wiki. I am sad to miss the Fools fun -- if we don't get the fun in game pranks any more For Reasons then I need to scrounge elsewhere!

> @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> > > @"Leo G.4501" said:

> > > He said something like "Arena Net want to keep [this] a secret" or something, the [this] being a link to something. WHAT IS THE SECRET LINK?

> >

> > Not sure how long this post will stay up, so I hope you see this before any mod / Anet personnel.

> > >! [Here you go.](

"Here you go.")

>

> Oh, I love that...wasn't it part of last year's (or further back) prank/joke?

"Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me." ;) Rest assured, we wouldn't dare do the same thing _three_ years in a row...

> @"Donari.5237" said:

> Does anyone have a video of the CLIPPY in action? I was able to get on the computer briefly this morning and saw CLIPPY but got no sounds with it. Now I'm back after a movie and a dinner and it seems to be gone from the wiki. I am sad to miss the Fools fun -- if we don't get the fun in game pranks any more For Reasons then I need to scrounge elsewhere!

Source code for Clippy can be found at https://www.smore.com/clippy-js . A link to what I believe were all of the quotes can be found on https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/April_Fools%27_Day_2018 .

> @"Alga.6498" said:

> Oh well... remember back then when 1st April joke was actually in-game and funny? Not on a wiki site and a papericon talking to you.....

There does seem to be a repeated misconception that the wiki's content (and its high jinks), are within the purview of Anet or its developers; this is not the case. Anet provides the servers, the players provide the content. The wiki community has created April Fools' Day jokes starting _way_ back on the GW1 wiki. Anet has since stopped doing in-game jokes, likely because the blow back isn't always positive (as seen in our attempt this year, and I'm only hypothesizing about their reasons).

As for the humour, I offer my apologies. I tried to create a wide variety of quips to appeal to a broad range of players. Some have played since the beta, others are new with PoF. Some may enjoy tech jokes, while others may have a drier sense of humour. I make no apologies for doubling up on the charr, though ;) .

If you have ideas for what the wiki community can bring to the table next year, you can absolutely reach me via the wiki (Log in; go to [my user page](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/User:Greener "my user page"); click "Email this user" on the left), or via these forums. All suggestions are welcomed, but as we found out this year, there are limits to what we can actually pull off due to time constraints (we're all volunteers, after all!).

> @"Alga.6498" said:

> Oh well... remember back then when 1st April joke was actually in-game and funny? Not on a wiki site and a papericon talking to you.....

Funny is relative. I remember they gave us all bobble heads once in game and, while the hilarity of this was peak in WVW, people couldn't handle it, lmao. It ruined the experience for a few.

At least if you don't like this flavor of funny, you can close your browser tab~

Sigh.. Bravo Wiki masters.

Not only did you make me wonder if Chrome had a virus, I also blamed the weird noises on the game. (I always run with the wiki up.) Sooo.. spent a good 12 hours ignoring the noises.. then, quite game.. only to still hear the noises.. Reboot and full scan while I slept with Malwarebytes and Spybot, in addition to my AV.

Best part, I actually adore the Paperclip Guy. When I saw him, it meant I was done installing Office 97 on the 99th users machine.. On to the hundredth..

Now, I only wish I had read his help tips...

> @"Greener.6204" said:

> > @"Alga.6498" said:

> > Oh well... remember back then when 1st April joke was actually in-game and funny? Not on a wiki site and a papericon talking to you.....

>

> There does seem to be a repeated misconception that the wiki's content (and its high jinks), are within the purview of Anet or its developers; this is not the case. Anet provides the servers, the players provide the content. The wiki community has created April Fools' Day jokes starting _way_ back on the GW1 wiki. Anet has since stopped doing in-game jokes, likely because the blow back isn't always positive (as seen in our attempt this year, and I'm only hypothesizing about their reasons).

>

> As for the humour, I offer my apologies. I tried to create a wide variety of quips to appeal to a broad range of players. Some have played since the beta, others are new with PoF. Some may enjoy tech jokes, while others may have a drier sense of humour. I make no apologies for doubling up on the charr, though ;) .

>

> If you have ideas for what the wiki community can bring to the table next year, you can absolutely reach me via the wiki (Log in; go to [my user page](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/User:Greener "my user page"); click "Email this user" on the left), or via these forums. All suggestions are welcomed, but as we found out this year, there are limits to what we can actually pull off due to time constraints (we're all volunteers, after all!).

They did actually do a joke.. in the forums. Or, did you miss yesterday's patch notes?

> @"Darlgon.9273" said:

> > > @"Alga.6498" said:

> > > Oh well... remember back then when 1st April joke was actually in-game and funny? Not on a wiki site and a papericon talking to you.....

> >

> > There does seem to be a repeated misconception that the wiki's content (and its high jinks), are within the purview of Anet or its developers; this is not the case. Anet provides the servers, the players provide the content. The wiki community has created April Fools' Day jokes starting _way_ back on the GW1 wiki. Anet has since stopped doing in-game jokes, likely because the blow back isn't always positive (as seen in our attempt this year, and I'm only hypothesizing about their reasons).

> >

> > As for the humour, I offer my apologies. I tried to create a wide variety of quips to appeal to a broad range of players. Some have played since the beta, others are new with PoF. Some may enjoy tech jokes, while others may have a drier sense of humour. I make no apologies for doubling up on the charr, though ;) .

> >

> > If you have ideas for what the wiki community can bring to the table next year, you can absolutely reach me via the wiki (Log in; go to [my user page](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/User:Greener "my user page"); click "Email this user" on the left), or via these forums. All suggestions are welcomed, but as we found out this year, there are limits to what we can actually pull off due to time constraints (we're all volunteers, after all!).

>

> They did actually do a joke.. in the forums. Or, did you miss yesterday's patch notes?

I believe he is referring to the misconception that ArenaNet was/is responsible for the Wiki's prank(s). And that he is stating they are two separate pranks: Wiki (perpetrated by the Wiki community) and Patch Notes (perpetrated by ArenaNet Devs/staff). :smile: