About the Griffon mount...

OK, this is really my fault, because i didnt check the Wiki first, to get a complete picture.

Silly me, i thought there was only one "Open Skies" achievment. In Crystal Oasis.

But then i went to check on the Wiki, and it takes 250 gold! That's obsurd.

wth guys! That's all the gold i have. It's crazy.

At first i thought 50g was worth it, but 250? No way.

So i basically lost 50g for nothing. I could have spent that on a nice skin :(

_**Is there any way i could get those back?**_ By contacting a GM or something?

I doubt it, but you never know.

Thanks for your time.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You won't get it back. But why would you want to? You can just put another 25g in every now and then and eventually get the mount. Personally I would have made it cost 500g, just for how good and fun it is.

Just consider it progress done, that's why it's split up into payments of 25g anyway. So that people without tons of gold saved up can do it as well.

Fool you for not researching it. It’s been well known for months and months, that it costs 250g.

I doubt you’ll get your gold back due to it being part of a collection. Reversing your decision will involve an account rollback. Depends if Anet wants to do that for you.

Think of it as first investment, only 4 more 50g investments to go. It’s really worth it.

> @"Trismegistos.3046" said:

> OK, this is really my fault, because i didnt check the Wiki first, to get a complete picture.

> Silly me, i thought there was only one "Open Skies" achievment. In Crystal Oasis.

>

> But then i went to check on the Wiki, and it takes 250 gold! That's obsurd.

> wth guys! That's all the gold i have. It's crazy.

>

> At first i thought 50g was worth it, but 250? No way.

> So i basically lost 50g for nothing. I could have spent that on a nice skin :(

>

> _**Is there any way i could get those back?**_ By contacting a GM or something?

> I doubt it, but you never know.

>

> Thanks for your time.

You're right... The Griffin isn't worth 250 gold. It's worth 2500 gold. Just buy it already and stop complaining.

> @"Brother.1504" said:

> Everyone going for the griffin asks “ is the griffin worth **$250g** and the time spent on the collection?”

>

> Yes! You won’t regret getting the griffin.

Oh wow, that's a lot of money!

Apart from that, there is no need to rush it. I don't bother a single bit because I like big-eared creatures more. And so far, I am fine, so are you :-)

Excelsior!

I agree with those saying it's worth it. Just keep playing and when you can afford the next 25g, do it. You'd be surprised how quickly you'll get there if you stop thinking about it and simply enjoy the game.

If you don't want to do that, just chalk up what you've spent to experience and move on. The lesson here is to research stuff before putting down gold in game. Cheers.

You could ask Support, but I think it's highly unlikely they'd refund the gold. Firstly because nothing really went wrong, you chose to start the collection and to spend the gold on it. But also because I don't think there's any way for them to remove the progress you've made on the collection so if they refunded the gold you'd basically get the first part for free. And yes I know you don't intend to ever finish it, but whose to say you'll feel the same in a year or two?

I understand that 250g is a lot of money, it's more than I had on my account when I started the collection, but personally I think it's well worth it. I love having the griffon mount, it often comes in useful and it's a lot of fun. Plus as other people have said you don't need to save up 250g all at once, just 25g at a time for 1 item, which makes it a lot more manageable. And there's no need to rush to finish it, you can take your time saving up.

> OK, this is really my fault, because i didnt check the Wiki first, to get a complete picture.

> Silly me, i thought there was only one "Open Skies" achievment. In Crystal Oasis.

>

>

> So i basically lost 50g for nothing. I could have spent that on a nice skin :(

>

> _**Is there any way i could get those back?**_ By contacting a GM or something?

> I doubt it, but you never know.

>

> Thanks for your time.

I don't expect anyone is thrilled about spending tons of gold, but it's difficult to imagine a better value. The griffon is incredibly fun and useful.

> @"Haleydawn.3764" said:

> Fool you for not researching it. It’s been well known for months and months, that it costs 250g.

> I doubt you’ll get your gold back due to it being part of a collection. Reversing your decision will involve an account rollback. Depends if Anet wants to do that for you.

>

> Think of it as first investment, only 4 more 50g investments to go. It’s really worth it.

This is kind of an absurd argument. Do you honestly expect players to research every part of the game before completing it?

> @"OriOri.8724" said:

> > @"Haleydawn.3764" said:

> > Fool you for not researching it. It’s been well known for months and months, that it costs 250g.

> > I doubt you’ll get your gold back due to it being part of a collection. Reversing your decision will involve an account rollback. Depends if Anet wants to do that for you.

> >

> > Think of it as first investment, only 4 more 50g investments to go. It’s really worth it.

>

> This is kind of an absurd argument. Do you honestly expect players to research every part of the game before completing it?

Not every part, but if you are parting with all of your gold you should make sure why, and know what you’re getting yourself in for.

People always go for the extreme of “all or nothing” (you expect people to research none of the things? Crazy) what a weak sentence.

Funny thing, getting the Spearmarshal’s Plea unlocks ALL OPEN SKIES ACHIEVEMENTS with all the pop ups near your mini-map to notify you. The OP simply had to peruse his Achievement Panel (which is searchable) a bit better... “research”.

One could say popping 50g into a collection, is a big decision (as the OP found out). Why wouldn’t you research requirements if you only had 50-60g in the first place?

But, as stated, it’s been well known since the first week of PoF exactly how much it costs to complete all Open Skies. There’s been a few threads on the cost, and the search function on this forum is fully functional.

> @"OriOri.8724" said:

> > @"Haleydawn.3764" said:

> > Fool you for not researching it. It’s been well known for months and months, that it costs 250g.

> > I doubt you’ll get your gold back due to it being part of a collection. Reversing your decision will involve an account rollback. Depends if Anet wants to do that for you.

> >

> > Think of it as first investment, only 4 more 50g investments to go. It’s really worth it.

>

> This is kind of an absurd argument. Do you honestly expect players to research every part of the game before completing it?

could have typed in open skies in the achievment section search box of the hero panel not much research needed tbh.

I keep seeing this complaint and I find it weak to the extreme.

This game throws gold at you. You can get 2 gold per day just for logging in and spending 10 mins doing dailies. Another 20 Mystic coins every cycle of logins (20g every 28 days) just for login rewards. Add another 20-60 silver each day just by parking your toon in the right place (flax farm/jp chest/TotPK).

Even in the economy's wacky state, the 20 Laurels you get from login rewards every 28 day cycle are worth another +-10g.

That's 80g(+-) every 28 days just from logging in and doing 10 mins of play.

This doesn't even include strategic use of dailies such as PvP/WvW reward track bumps, just having a few good generators in your (or a friend's) home instance or strategically parking alts in high value locations.

Hell you can make 10g an hour just chopping wood/mining/gathering.

And all that is before any real money makers like Silverwastes/Istan Farms, T4 Fractals or Ranked PvP.

What I am saying is that **realistically** you could have half the gold you need for your griffon in 28 days just from logging, doing your dailies and gathering for 20 mins each day.

If you add a few medium value activities on top of it, the griffon is achievable in less than a month via **very casual play**. If you were to make sure you hit some meta like Chak Gerent/Palawadan/Octovine it would be even faster.

And again we are still talking about less than an hour of play a day.

250g for the griffon is a bargain, absolutely worth it as others have mentioned. Considering the usefulness and fun it brings I'd personally say its much better value than spending 50g on skins 5 times.

In you aren't in a hurry then just keep doing your dailies and you'll have enough for the remaining 200g in less than 3 months with the daily 2g plus login rewards. Keep doing metas, fractals etc and you'll build up your gold again in no time.

Compared to other high end items in the game, the Griffon is actually on the low end of the price scale and is quite easy to get, relatively speaking. You wouldn't even be able to craft a full set of Ascended armor with the gold you'd save from not getting the Griffon and there are a lot of other items that are comparatively priced, but that don't offer the same gameplay benefits (for example, a lot of gemstore items, like armor sets, cost around the same amount of gold converted to gems as a griffon).

I'd say just get it over with and enjoy the rewards for your efforts. What else in the game would you use the gold for that would have the same benefits? I can't personally think of anything else as worthwhile for its cost as the Griffon is.

>

>

It's pretty bad policy to assume or claim what something is worth before you own or experience it. The fact that you think some nice skin is on par with having the griffin shows that you really don't understand how great having it is.

Save up the money, or find a way to make it, because after having it for some time even 250g isn't much for the value you get.