Dragonsblood Weapon Requirements

The wiki now contains a lot of information about the Dragonsblood Weapons, how to get each, and what sorts of resources they require; there are also some Reddit articles. (So far, Dulfy doesn't seem to have hers ready, probably because each weapon's ascended version has a slight different series of 'quests'.)

To help you prepare, here's a list of resources you need, as well as links to articles. I'll update this as people add information

##### Single Weapon Requirements

**Exotic:** 500 VM, 5 laurels, 60 branded masses, 3 serpentines, plus the usual

* Initial Recipe for Exotic: 500 volatile magic (VM) + 5 Laurels (requires completing part of the story)

* Exotic weapon: 60 branded masses, 3 serpentine jewels, the usual T6 weapon components (e.g. Ori Axe Blade, Small Ancient Haft)

**Ascended:** 55 gold, 150 branded masses, 3 serpentine jewels, plus the usual

* Complete matching exotic

* Buy the relevant 'tales' (5 gold + 100 branded masses)

* Complete the 'tales'

* Specific 'vision' item ~~(50 gold, 100 branded masses)~~ (free by completing the relevant prerequisite quest)

* Ascended weapon: Vision Crystal, 50 branded masses, 3 serpentine jewels, the usual T7 weapon components (e.g. Deldrimor Axe Blade, Small Spiritwood Haft), Deldrimor Dowel

##### Total Collection Requirements

In total, one needs 3360 Branded Masses, 96 Serpentine Jewels, 80 gold 16 Vision Crystals, 80 Laurels, & 8000 Volatile Magic

* Exotic: 960 Branded Masses, 48 Serpentine Jewels, 8000 VM, 80 Laurels

* Ascended: 2400 Branded Masses, 48 Serpentine Jewels, 80 gold, 16 Vision Crystals

##### The Daily Grind

If you really want the full set of ascended, it's going to take a while. Most people should expect 30 days for the serpentine jewels. The branded masses could take ~50 days if you do "modest" gathering on a single character; if you're willing to run all hearts on multiple characters, you could narrow that down to 7-10 days.

**Serpentine Jewels**

These daily numbers are all _per account_.

* 3 Serpentine Jewels are most easily obtained by getting to the Hammer's Hoard treasure (although gaining access requires both metas and completion of to obtain the LoD)

* Ordinary Dwarven Chests (24 chances per map; very low chance, as most people get 0/24)

* Hidden Treasures exposed by the 30-minute Light of Deldrimor (decent chance: could be zero, but many seem to be getting 1-3). (In theory, everyone should be able to get 10 hidden ones in addition to the main treasure; in practice, you can expect maybe 6-7 per day. Additionally, with a mesmer in party, you have access to 16 total hiddens besides the main one, although it will be tricky to get to all without map swapping among other techniques.)

* The metas: each can drop 1 (it's not guaranteed)

**Branded Massess**

These daily numbers are all _per account_ **except** as noted. 50 per day is probably a reasonable effort for someone who is willing to do _some_ grinding.

* 20 Branded Masses can be obtained via hearts _per character_ per day. _This is likely the least-effort method._

* 24 can be obtained via Dwarven Chests (one is guaranteed per chest)

* 5 from the Thunderhead Peak peak dailies.

* 3 from the Dragon Crystal in a home instance.

* ~15-25 from gathering Dragon Crystals (there's likely a daily max, since other LS3 & LS4 resources have that; the data is still sparse)

* 60 via completion of the Thunderhead Peak reward track (PvP or WvW); 10 are guaranteed and the final chest has an option for 50 more.

* 25 from map completion _per character_ (obviously one time only).

##### Articles

* [Heroic Dragonsblood Weapons/Ascended (wiki)](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Heroic_Dragonsblood_weapons)

* [Dragonsblood Weapons/Exotic (wiki)](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Dragonsblood_weapons)

* Example (wiki): [Exotic Axe](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Dragonsblood_Axe) → [Vision of Harkon](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Vision_of_Harkon_Hakson_the_Maelstrom) → [Ascended Axe](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Heroic_Dragonsblood_Axe)

* [Reddit Article Outlining the Steps](https://old.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/ae9fih/process_for_crafting_ascended_dragonsblood_weapons/)

##### Corrections

_I've done my best to check math/numbers, but given the evolving sources, there's a good chance I've goofed once if not half a dozen times; please let me know so I can correct any errors._

* Per @"Voltekka.2375": the metas don't always drop serpentine & there are 10 guaranteed masses from wvw|pvp reward tracks (not just a few).

* Per @"notebene.3190": the 'vision item' drops as part of the prerequisite quest; no need to purchase unless making a copy (or you lose the original)

* Per @"Ayrilana.1396": the daily limit on branded masses obtained from hearts is character bound, which allows one to accelerate farming substantially. Following up on this suggestion also led me to additional sources for the material, notably WvW|PvP reward tracks. Also: based on their suggestion, rephrased the LoD numbers to reflect what was likely, rather than possible.

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> The wiki now contains a lot of information about the Dragonsblood Weapons, how to get each, and what sorts of resources they require; there are also some Reddit articles. (So far, Dulfy doesn't seem to have hers ready, probably because each weapon's ascended version has a slight different series of 'quests'.)

>

> To help you prepare, here's a list of resources you need, as well as links to articles. I'll update this as people add information

> ****

>

> ##### Single Weapon Requirements

> **Exotic:** 500 VM, 5 laurels, 60 branded masses, 3 serpentines, plus the usual

>

> * Initial Recipe for Exotic: 500 volatile magic (VM) + 5 Laurels (requires completing part of the story)

> * Exotic weapon: 60 branded masses, 3 serpentine jewels, the usual T6 weapon components (e.g. Ori Axe Blade, Small Ancient Haft)

>

> **Ascended:** 55 gold, 250 branded masses, 3 serpentine jewels, plus the usual

>

> * Complete matching exotic

> * Buy the relevant 'tales' (5 gold + 100 branded masses)

> * Complete the 'tales'

> * Specific 'vision' item (50 gold, 100 branded masses)

> * Ascended weapon: Vision Crystal, 50 branded masses, 3 serpentine jewels, the usual T7 weapon components (e.g. Deldrimor Axe Blade, Small Spiritwood Haft), Deldrimor Dowel

> ****

>

> ##### Total Collection Requirements

> In total, one needs 3360 Branded Masses, 96 Serpentine Jewels, 80 gold 16 Vision Crystals, 80 Laurels, & 8000 Volatile Magic

>

> * Exotic: 960 Branded Masses, 48 Serpentine Jewels, 8000 VM, 80 Laurels

> * Ascended: 2400 Branded Masses, 48 Serpentine Jewels, 80 gold, 16 Vision Crystals

> ****

>

> ##### The Daily Grind

> If you really want the full set of ascended, it's going to take a while. At least 48 days for the branded masses (although most will need more) and at least 20 days for the serpentine jewels.

>

> * 5 Serpentine Jewels are easily obtained by completing both metas (1 each) and getting to the Hammer's Hoard treasure (3)

> * 50 Branded Masses can be obtained via hearts, gathering, dailies, and metas.

> * Additional Serpenine Jewels drop very very rarely from ordinary Dwarven Chests (24 chances per map; most days, you get none) and from Hidden Treasures exposed by the 30-minute Light of Deldrimor (maybe 2-3 more per day).

> ****

>

> ##### Articles

> * [Heroic Dragonsblood Weapons/Ascended (wiki)](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Heroic_Dragonsblood_weapons)

> * [Dragonsblood Weapons/Exotic (wiki)](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Dragonsblood_weapons)

> * Example (wiki): [Exotic Axe](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Dragonsblood_Axe) → [Vision of Harkon](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Vision_of_Harkon_Hakson_the_Maelstrom) → [Ascended Axe](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Heroic_Dragonsblood_Axe)

> * [Reddit Article Outlining the Steps](https://old.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/ae9fih/process_for_crafting_ascended_dragonsblood_weapons/)

>

> _FYI: I've done my best to check math/numbers, but given the evolving sources, there's a good chance I've goofed once if not half a dozen times; please let me know so I can correct any errors._

Metas dont drop a jewel 100%.

Nice post, starting to work on my 3rd exotic, haven’t made any ascended.

Are you sure you need to buy a vision item? I get one when I complete the tale. Aren’t the ones to buy replacements, in case you decide not to bank the vision item for later?

I was going to buy a new bank space to hold all those vision items I’m getting from the tales. I thought that was the same item for sale?

> @"Voltekka.2375" said:

> Metas dont drop a jewel 100%.

They only time they haven't for anyone I know is if one doesn't get the LoD half-plate either, which would mean that the person didn't get the "ground event chest." (Which would then be a "getting credit" issue rather than a documentation mistake.)

Do you remember if anyone you know (or yourself) got one but not the other?

I'll update the notes depending on confirmation.

(Either way, thanks for posting about it.)

According to that_shaman's Twitter, there's a recipe for crafting Exquisite Serpentite Jewels, it just isn't available in-game yet. Very cheap too, 10 Brandstone Mass, an Orichalcum Filigree, and 1 Ecto. I wasn't going to bother with the Dragonsblood weapons personally, just because of the grind involved acquiring all the jewels (nearly 100 needed for bother the exotic and ascended weapons), but if that recipe is ever dropped into the game I'll likely rethink that.

> > @"Voltekka.2375" said:

> > Metas dont drop a jewel 100%.

> They only time they haven't for anyone I know is if one doesn't get the LoD half-plate either, which would mean that the person didn't get the "ground event chest." (Which would then be a "getting credit" issue rather than a documentation mistake.)

>

> Do you remember if anyone you know (or yourself) got one but not the other?

> I'll update the notes depending on confirmation.

> (Either way, thanks for posting about it.)

>

I have personally done the two metas once each daily, and I havent gotten a jewel each time (unlike the half plate).

> @"Ash.5274" said:

> According to that_shaman's Twitter, there's a recipe for crafting Exquisite Serpentite Jewels, it just isn't available in-game yet. Very cheap too, 10 Brandstone Mass, an Orichalcum Filigree, and 1 Ecto. I wasn't going to bother with the Dragonsblood weapons personally, just because of the grind involved acquiring all the jewels (nearly 100 needed for bother the exotic and ascended weapons), but if that recipe is ever dropped into the game I'll likely rethink that.

Interesting. That would be excellent if it does end up in the game, and soon.

Although, based on the math I've done, getting extra brandstone masses might actually take longer than getting the direct drops of serpentine, because we already need nearly 50 days worth of the mat, versus at most a month's worth of the jewel.

> @"Voltekka.2375" said:

> > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > @"Voltekka.2375" said:

> > > Metas dont drop a jewel 100%.

> > They only time they haven't for anyone I know is if one doesn't get the LoD half-plate either, which would mean that the person didn't get the "ground event chest." (Which would then be a "getting credit" issue rather than a documentation mistake.)

> >

> > Do you remember if anyone you know (or yourself) got one but not the other?

> > I'll update the notes depending on confirmation.

> > (Either way, thanks for posting about it.)

> >

>

> I have personally done the two metas once each daily, and I havent gotten a jewel each time (unlike the half plate).

Alright, good to know. I'll update the original post accordingly; thanks for the intel.

> @"notebene.3190" said:

> Are you sure you need to buy a vision item? I get one when I complete the tale. Aren’t the ones to buy replacements, in case you decide not to bank the vision item for later?

Oh, actually I don't know. That probably explains why I couldn't 100% reconcile the wiki's details.

> I was going to buy a new bank space to hold all those vision items I’m getting from the tales. I thought that was the same item for sale?

That makes a lot of sense. Although, at that price, it sounds less like a 'replacement' item and more like a way of creating a second ascended (although why anyone would choose to do that, I have no idea).

I haven't started this myself; I put together the list so I could decide if I wanted to work on the collection "full time" or just work on it "back burner."

I am relying on the kindness of ~~strangers~~ forum posters to help verify the details.

If you can confirm that one only needs the vision item from the 'quests', I'll update accordingly (probably later today).

Thanks for the question.

> > @"notebene.3190" said:

> > Are you sure you need to buy a vision item? I get one when I complete the tale. Aren’t the ones to buy replacements, in case you decide not to bank the vision item for later?

> Oh, actually I don't know. That probably explains why I couldn't 100% reconcile the wiki's details.

>

> > I was going to buy a new bank space to hold all those vision items I’m getting from the tales. I thought that was the same item for sale?

> That makes a lot of sense. Although, at that price, it sounds less like a 'replacement' item and more like a way of creating a second ascended (although why anyone would choose to do that, I have no idea).

>

> I haven't started this myself; I put together the list so I could decide if I wanted to work on the collection "full time" or just work on it "back burner."

> I am relying on the kindness of ~~strangers~~ forum posters to help verify the details.

>

> If you can confirm that one only needs the vision item from the 'quests', I'll update accordingly (probably later today).

>

> Thanks for the question.

Looked at one of the ascended weapons, and you do, in fact, get your first item as a reward for completing the tale (it's showing the staff vision, which I have in my inventory). The purchasable ones would, I guess, be for creating additional weapons.

![](https://i.imgur.com/81AkI3o.png "")

I was somewhat interested in them when I saw them but I will probably ignore these. I am fine with general grind or even some timegating but these are just taking things too far and I have more weapon skins than I have weapons for anyway.

> @"Ash.5274" said:

> According to that_shaman's Twitter, there's a recipe for crafting Exquisite Serpentite Jewels, it just isn't available in-game yet. Very cheap too, 10 Brandstone Mass, an Orichalcum Filigree, and 1 Ecto. I wasn't going to bother with the Dragonsblood weapons personally, just because of the grind involved acquiring all the jewels (nearly 100 needed for bother the exotic and ascended weapons), but if that recipe is ever dropped into the game I'll likely rethink that.

The Noxious Pod home instance node was also found years ago but never showed up in game.

> > @"Voltekka.2375" said:

> > Metas dont drop a jewel 100%.

> They only time they haven't for anyone I know is if one doesn't get the LoD half-plate either, which would mean that the person didn't get the "ground event chest." (Which would then be a "getting credit" issue rather than a documentation mistake.)

>

> Do you remember if anyone you know (or yourself) got one but not the other?

> I'll update the notes depending on confirmation.

> (Either way, thanks for posting about it.)

>

Ive never had a jewel drop regardless of the plate dropping. There is no link there.

> @"Randulf.7614" said:

> > They only time they haven't for anyone I know is if one doesn't get the LoD half-plate either, which would mean that the person didn't get the "ground event chest." (Which would then be a "getting credit" issue rather than a documentation mistake.)

> >

> >

>

> Ive never had a jewel drop regardless of the plate dropping. There is no link there.

I received one jewel drop from a meta before I received any plates. Now, I have two bottom-half plates and still the one, singular, lonely jewel. :(

> > @"Ash.5274" said:

> > According to that_shaman's Twitter, there's a recipe for crafting Exquisite Serpentite Jewels, it just isn't available in-game yet. Very cheap too, 10 Brandstone Mass, an Orichalcum Filigree, and 1 Ecto. I wasn't going to bother with the Dragonsblood weapons personally, just because of the grind involved acquiring all the jewels (nearly 100 needed for bother the exotic and ascended weapons), but if that recipe is ever dropped into the game I'll likely rethink that.

>

> Interesting. That would be excellent if it does end up in the game, and soon.

> Although, based on the math I've done, getting extra brandstone masses might actually take longer than getting the direct drops of serpentine, because we already **need nearly 50 days worth of the mat**, versus at most a month's worth of the jewel.

Depends on the number of characters that one has which can run through the hearts.

> If you really want the full set of ascended, it's going to take a while. At least 48 days for the branded masses (although most will need more)

Goes with the above. Could you add a line that the number of days is also dependent on the number of characters that you have as far as branded masses goes? I’ll have the branded mass for both exotic and ascended sets by Thursday so it’s definitely not at least 48 days.

> @"Ash.5274" said:

Unless they make it an account bound rare drop, this recipe being released would kill any incentive to do the meta and the map would _die_ much quicker. Why go through the hassle of the metas and catacombs when you can just farm branded mass?

> @"Randulf.7614" said:

> >

> >

>

> Ive never had a jewel drop regardless of the plate dropping. There is no link there.

That's why I already updated the original post to exclude that as a guaranteed drop and state explicitly that it's "not guaranteed."

> @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> Could you add a line that the number of days is also dependent on the number of characters that you have as far as branded masses goes? I’ll have the branded mass for both exotic and ascended sets by Thursday so it’s definitely not at least 48 days.

Good point. ~~I'll separate~~ I've separated out the BM† obtained by hearts from the per-account ones. Thanks for the suggestion, as on further inspection, there are actually more sources than the wiki's summation implies.

Someone should probably update [the wiki](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Heroic_Dragonsblood_weapons#Notes), since my mistake was based on a plain reading of its [note](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Heroic_Dragonsblood_weapons#Notes). "_Around 50 Branded Mass can be obtained daily from hearts, gathering, daily achievements, and meta events._"

† BM is a most unfortunate acronym

As a side note, it just occurred to me (on my 3rd exotic) that there is 'no' reason to go back and buy the item to start the quests after creating the exotic (and advancing the achievement that's part of the meta) if you have no intention of creating the ascended version right away. I mean, I think the little quests are kinda fun, having to use the weapon type in question (which in my case means maybe using weapons with some classes I'm not used to using and having to figure it out), but then you get the vision reward (after spending a vision crystal), and then you have to bank it.

So after stopping at 2, I decided not to do that any more, and just make the exotics and move on. Then I'll circle back and decide on whether to make any 'specific' ascendeds.

And I now notice that after you make the 16 exotics, you get the book that holds the history you get when completing each ascended. I bought it. :(

> @"notebene.3190" said:

> As a side note, it just occurred to me (on my 3rd exotic) that there is 'no' reason to go back and buy the item to start the quests after creating the exotic (and advancing the achievement that's part of the meta) if you have no intention of creating the ascended version right away. I mean, I think the little quests are kinda fun, having to use the weapon type in question (which in my case means maybe using weapons with some classes I'm not used to using and having to figure it out), but then you get the vision reward (after spending a vision crystal), and then you have to bank it.

Good to know.

>

> So after stopping at 2, I decided not to do that any more, and just make the exotics and move on. Then I'll circle back and decide on whether to make any 'specific' ascendeds.

Sounds sensible.

>

> And I now notice that after you make the 16 exotics, you get the book that holds the history you get when completing each ascended. I bought it. :(

Me, too. I thought if I didn't own it, I wouldn't be able to even start the process. Sometimes ANet keeps things a little bit too secret for their own good.

(e.g. with every new legendary, why doesn't Hobbs have a dialogue option that simply says, "so you want to craft Pharus? Have I got a precursor for you!")

> The wiki now contains a lot of information about the Dragonsblood Weapons, how to get each, and what sorts of resources they require; there are also some Reddit articles. (So far, Dulfy doesn't seem to have hers ready, probably because each weapon's ascended version has a slight different series of 'quests'.)

>

> To help you prepare, here's a list of resources you need, as well as links to articles. I'll update this as people add information

> ****

>

> ##### Single Weapon Requirements

> **Exotic:** 500 VM, 5 laurels, 60 branded masses, 3 serpentines, plus the usual

>

> * Initial Recipe for Exotic: 500 volatile magic (VM) + 5 Laurels (requires completing part of the story)

> * Exotic weapon: 60 branded masses, 3 serpentine jewels, the usual T6 weapon components (e.g. Ori Axe Blade, Small Ancient Haft)

>

> **Ascended:** 55 gold, 150 branded masses, 3 serpentine jewels, plus the usual

>

> * Complete matching exotic

> * Buy the relevant 'tales' (5 gold + 100 branded masses)

> * Complete the 'tales'

> * Specific 'vision' item ~~(50 gold, 100 branded masses)~~ (free by completing the relevant prerequisite quest)

> * Ascended weapon: Vision Crystal, 50 branded masses, 3 serpentine jewels, the usual T7 weapon components (e.g. Deldrimor Axe Blade, Small Spiritwood Haft), Deldrimor Dowel

> ****

>

> ##### Total Collection Requirements

> In total, one needs 3360 Branded Masses, 96 Serpentine Jewels, 80 gold 16 Vision Crystals, 80 Laurels, & 8000 Volatile Magic

>

> * Exotic: 960 Branded Masses, 48 Serpentine Jewels, 8000 VM, 80 Laurels

> * Ascended: 2400 Branded Masses, 48 Serpentine Jewels, 80 gold, 16 Vision Crystals

> ****

>

> ##### The Daily Grind

> If you really want the full set of ascended, it's going to take a while. Most people should expect 30 days for the serpentine jewels. The branded masses could take ~50 days if you do "modest" gathering on a single character; if you're willing to run all hearts on multiple characters, you could narrow that down to 7-10 days.

>

> **Serpentine Jewels**

> These daily numbers are all _per account_.

>

> * 3 Serpentine Jewels are most easily obtained by getting to the Hammer's Hoard treasure (although gaining access requires both metas and completion of to obtain the LoD)

> * Ordinary Dwarven Chests (24 chances per map; very low chance, as most people get 0/24)

> * Hidden Treasures exposed by the 30-minute Light of Deldrimor (decent chance: could be zero, but many seem to be getting 1-3). (In theory, everyone should be able to get 10 hidden ones in addition to the main treasure; in practice, you'll probably need to swap maps to do that. Additionally, with a mesmer in party, you have access to 16 total hiddens besides the main one.)

> * The metas: each can drop 1 (it's not guaranteed)

>

> **Branded Massess**

> These daily numbers are all _per account_ **except** as noted. 50 per day is probably a reasonable effort for someone who is willing to do _some_ grinding.

>

> * 20 Branded Masses can be obtained via hearts _per character_ per day. _This is likely the least-effort method._

> * 24 can be obtained via Dwarven Chests (one is guaranteed per chest)

> * 5 from the Thunderhead Peak peak dailies.

> * 3 from the Dragon Crystal in a home instance.

> * ~15-25 from gathering Dragon Crystals (there's likely a daily max, since other LS3 & LS4 resources have that; the data is still sparse)

> * Completion of the Thunderhead Peak reward track (PvP or WvW) has an option for 50, with a few extra along the way.

> * 25 from map completion _per character_ (obviously one time only).

> ****

>

> ##### Articles

> * [Heroic Dragonsblood Weapons/Ascended (wiki)](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Heroic_Dragonsblood_weapons)

> * [Dragonsblood Weapons/Exotic (wiki)](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Dragonsblood_weapons)

> * Example (wiki): [Exotic Axe](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Dragonsblood_Axe) → [Vision of Harkon](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Vision_of_Harkon_Hakson_the_Maelstrom) → [Ascended Axe](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Heroic_Dragonsblood_Axe)

> * [Reddit Article Outlining the Steps](https://old.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/ae9fih/process_for_crafting_ascended_dragonsblood_weapons/)

>

> ##### Corrections

> _I've done my best to check math/numbers, but given the evolving sources, there's a good chance I've goofed once if not half a dozen times; please let me know so I can correct any errors._

> * Per @"Voltekka.2375": the metas don't always drop serpentine.

> * Per @"notebene.3190": the 'vision item' drops as part of the prerequisite quest; no need to purchase unless making a copy (or you lose the original)

> * Per @"Ayrilana.1396": the daily limit on branded masses obtained from hearts is character bound, which allows one to accelerate farming substantially. Following up on this suggestion also led me to additional sources for the material, notably WvW|PvP reward tracks.

I would also like to point out that the wvw reward track gives you 60 branded masses (50 plus 10)

> @"Voltekka.2375" said:

> I would also like to point out that the wvw reward track gives you 60 branded masses (50 plus 10)

Thanks.

Before your post, I had previously "written 50 + change," because the wiki seemed to show only one mass per intermediate reward. I'll updated it to "10 guaranteed with an option for 50," since conceivably some might prefer some other choice (not sure why they would, but...).

It's good to know how expensive it is. Now I know to just not bother making the Heroic Dragonsblood Longbow. And after I did all the quests for it too.

I'm rather disappointed that the weapons aren't actually 'upgradable' [_as advertised_](https://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/releases/january-08-2019/ "_as advertised_"). I was hoping/expecting that the ascended (or skin) recipe would use the exotic weapon instead of the ascended inscription.

> @"Chrury.4627" said:

> I'm rather disappointed that the weapons aren't actually 'upgradable' [_as advertised_](https://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/releases/january-08-2019/ "_as advertised_").

They are "upgradeable" -- one cannot make the ascended without first making the exotic. (The fact that we don't use the actual exotic in the recipe is, in my opinion, just a phrasing interpretation; it's consistent with how ANet described the two armors in an earlier episode.)

> > @"Ash.5274" said:

> > According to that_shaman's Twitter, there's a recipe for crafting Exquisite Serpentite Jewels, it just isn't available in-game yet. Very cheap too, 10 Brandstone Mass, an Orichalcum Filigree, and 1 Ecto. I wasn't going to bother with the Dragonsblood weapons personally, just because of the grind involved acquiring all the jewels (nearly 100 needed for bother the exotic and ascended weapons), but if that recipe is ever dropped into the game I'll likely rethink that.

>

> Interesting. That would be excellent if it does end up in the game, and soon.

> Although, based on the math I've done, getting extra brandstone masses might actually take longer than getting the direct drops of serpentine, because we already need nearly 50 days worth of the mat, versus at most a month's worth of the jewel.

Brandstone masses aren't that bad for a weapon or two because the RNG is lower from gathering, it's not daily limited by account, and WvW/PvP reward tracks have the option of 50 (at least 10 more from the track itself).

A question I've seen asked elsewhere but have not seen an answer to: does the Dwarven Tomb stuff reset at daily reset or on its own timer since completion? It would be very annoying to waste the Light on chests that won't give up the jewels because you opened them 3 hours earlier even if daily reset has just happened.